Tailoring             Inept          Finearts

Guild Skills          Rank           Pool
-------------         ------------   ------------
Totems                Transcendent   Arcana
    Crow
Nature                Transcendent   Mysticism
    Wyrdenwood
Runes                 Transcendent   Willpower

I have... 156 lessons, 340 credits, 220 bound credits, and 206 dingbats.

Beastmastery for beast spit is *definitely* a contender.  I also wouldn't mind having a RoA and magic damage rune, but I have a feeling investing in skills will be better for now.  That said, any suggestions where to start?

Best Answers

Answers

• What of Discipline and Resilience?  Should I learn those before investing into the artifacts?
  • For combat, discipline is pretty important, since it passively affects both power regeneration as well as focus body time. Spending more than 1s on focusing paralysis is going to make you a lot less competitive against those who can. Resilience is great for the poison resistance, which helps screw over warriors (and monks to a lesser extent) that much more. It won't make you immune by any means, but it's a whole lot better than inept resilience.

Generally speaking, discipline > artifacts/resilience. Depending on who you usually fight, and what your archetype is, some artifacts might be more important than resilience.

• Which will give better dmp overall: Trans resilience or Trans tailoring? I assume Tailoring, but I just wanna make sure.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Getting trans tailoring does absolutely nothing to boost your dmp.
  • Enyalida said:
    Getting trans tailoring does absolutely nothing to boost your dmp.
    Double strength on the four proofs (DMP), and higher cutting/blunt armour (not DMP, but still serves same purpose).  Unless something has changed that I missed, which is quite possible.

Inept to Trans Resilience gives 12 physical DMP, 15? % poison shrugging.  Same caveat as above.

• Celina said:

Yes it does. You get double dmp from proofings.

For the combat oriented tree man:

Trans tailoring then trand resilience then trans discipline then trans low magic.

That is my advice.

Discipline first for focus times, the rest is fine.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    He's already fabled discipline. He'll get way more out of splendours and resilience than the last couple ranks of discipline IMO.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited April 2013
    Is that true? Absolutely every time I've asked about splendours, something was mumbled about proofings and it turned out you don't actually get any extra (including when talking about it with admins looking at the code). Including when I just talked to a trans tailor wearing proofed splendours, right now. They reported only getting 10 dmp from their fireproofing, and provided a log to that effect: http://pastebin.com/xKYzFv81. Trans tailoring with splendours on that have fireproof. Where is this double dmp proofings thing coming from?

EDIT: They checked the other types too, same.
  • edited April 2013
    Might be worth bugging.  It had been bugged (and fixed) in the dim dark beginnings of Lusternia for not working right.

Have you the wherewithal to do a damage test?

Without proofs, with a basic coat or cloak proof, then with splendours?

edit: A couple of years ago when gorgogs hit the scene, I did a damage test for fireproofing like this and the doubling for splendours proved itself in the damage I took.  That's not to say something hasn't been inadvertently broken since then.  Or, perhaps it's just not being caught and calculated correctly in bodyscan.

Because that's how it's always been?

Splendours gave 20 dmp. Regular proofings gave 10. If that's changed, then it was a surprise change "bug" change. Wouldn't be the first time.

• I just looked in the code, splendours don't appear to give any DMP change. It's a flat 10 DMP, and I'm pretty sure it's always been this way. Instead, splendours have had the option of 4 proofings instead of 2, if I do recall.

About 98% certain it gave 20 dmp when I first got them. I'll check my dmp when I get home.

• This is bizarro. I have a hard time believing Celina and I both imagined up that detail. Having all four proofs in one item wouldn't have meant anything, given that even greatrobes granted two + coat + cloak for four proofs.

That is to say, Eldanien still has trans Tailoring flexed out from before Tattoos came about. If the only combat perk of Splendours was moderate armour boost and dismissable prestige boost, I would have put Eldanien in greatrobes and transed Herbs instead.

• Thank you @Akyaevin for the log.  I was going nuts trying to figure out if I confused the DMP issue with something else, and was going to run that test myself just for the peace of mind.

That said, @Kio, the difference is small enough that you should consider how much the armour difference between splendours and greatrobes will factor into your survival, and weigh that against faster herb balance and stronger sparkleberry effect from trans Herbs.

• Eldanien said:
    Thank you @Akyaevin for the log.  I was going nuts trying to figure out if I confused the DMP issue with something else, and was going to run that test myself just for the peace of mind.

That said, @Kio, the difference is small enough that you should consider how much the armour difference between splendours and greatrobes will factor into your survival, and weigh that against faster herb balance and stronger sparkleberry effect from trans Herbs.
    Level 3 malus to fire is a scary thing.
  • I bet.  But stronger Sparkleberry is effectively more tankiness to every damage source, including fire.  Given that DMP scales down the more you have, the difference between all your defs + Splendours and all your defs + Greatrobes might not mean much when it comes to fire damage.

• How much of the increase is having Herbs?  Also, I thought it only affected your herb balance recovery speed?