Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• I don't think it's 'nobody batting an eye', it's just that there is a way to voice out concerns, and Qistrel/Nikka's has quickly turned into an attack against Yarith.

What's more silly is that it wasn't even Nikka's post, really; it just served as the acceletant to the forum war between Maligorn and Karlach (and allies of both) that is blowing up everywhere and hitting everyone.

On one hand, Yarith got a kill on Prime. He can no longer do anything to that person for an RL month. 

On the other, it was on Nikka, who's really not involved in the Baelfyre thing (outside of being on the same org?).

Ultimately, the question is whether Lusternia wants to stiffle combat and danger and lose people who like that, or whether the game wants to lessen safety and peace and lose people who like that. 

Speaking as a player who has recently frequented PK madness in Achaea, it's one death, @Qistrel, and he can't do anything for a month. Log out, cool off, and come back swinging! :)
    WHY WE FIGHT
    Accountability is necessary.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited December 2016
    Thank you for the spoiler tag.

My question to you would be this: even if we disregard the negatives and the positives of the purportedly tougher lifestyle Lusternia used to have, is it really just "anecdotal" that many of the game's most prominent combatants come from that era? I'm talking Shuyin, Viynain, Narsrim, Munsia(?), Thoros, Nydekion, Inagin, Celina(ugh, does she even go here anymore) so on and so forth. Was their killingness a function of the myriad opportunities for PK? Is there a certain level of PK opportunity and population that we should be striving for, and how can we achieve it? How much negativity can we take on to try and recreate the situation that the above cited lived in and broke through? Is that even possible to create PK messiahs nowadays?

I'm drawn to cite the days of Draylor, and especially Caerlyr here (it's a bold move, Cotton). While Caerlyr most certainly was toxic to Glomdoring, I feel like it made victories and EtherSeren raids all the sweeter by sticking it in his face, and I feel like at some point the constant prodding into Glomdoring revitalized it a little bit, in a weird and twisted way. (This was at a time that I played my BT a lot). What do you think of that?

• Shaddus said:
    Saz is attacked off prime and says he's going to quit, writing a whole forums post about it: half the game jumps up and begs him not to quit.

Nikkakorra gets attacked while doing tattoos for someone on prime and says she's going to quit in Tweets: nobody bats an eye, and Ciaran urges her to quit, Instead turning it around as an attack on Yarith.

Stay classy.

Edit: Nikka does need to harden up a bit. What yarith did was rude as hell, but if that's all it takes to run you off....yeah.

This is a comically outrageous misrepresentation of my post.  Then you follow up by contradicting yourself.  Your hate boner is showing Shaddus!
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • Maligorn said:

My question to you would be this: even if we disregard the negatives and the positives of the purportedly tougher lifestyle Lusternia used to have, is it really just "anecdotal" that many of the game's most prominent combatants come from that era? I'm talking Shuyin, Viynain, Narsrim, Munsia(?), Thoros, Nydekion, Inagin, Celina(ugh, does she even go here anymore) so on and so forth. Was their killingness a function of the myriad opportunities for PK? Is there a certain level of PK opportunity and population that we should be striving for, and how can we achieve it? How much negativity can we take on to try and recreate the situation that the above cited lived in and broke through? Is that even possible to create PK messiahs nowadays?

I'm drawn to cite the days of Draylor, and especially Caerlyr here (it's a bold move, Cotton). While Caerlyr most certainly was toxic to Glomdoring, I feel like it made victories and EtherSeren raids all the sweeter by sticking it in his face, and I feel like at some point the constant prodding into Glomdoring revitalized it a little bit, in a weird and twisted way. (This was at a time that I played my BT a lot). What do you think of that?

You can probally just chalk a lot of that up to experience though really. There's combinations of skills and tactics you wont sort of see without a good long play time, add in that old adage about how long it takes to practice a skill to master it. Sure I mean if you've played another IRE game a lot of the skills are transferable but there's still a lot of new stuff for everyone to learn so give it enough time and you'll have people as good as the more experienced folks.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    It's not 'all it took'. This was the final straw after a hard month of being hit by vines constantly, having to hide off plane at some points cause I couldn't stop it, extending an olive branch by helping Hallifax avoid vines even though someone from Mag probably caused that incident in the first place. I made a heartfelt post pleading for people to stop ruining my enjoyment of hanging out in prime Magnagora, and saying that I was very close to leaving. And then for someone to come in and specifically do exactly what I had asked not to be done...that was just horrible.

If you think I'm looking for attention for myself, or trying to do personal attacks, or that I'm weak because 'one incident' made me cry, then I don't even know what to say. Maybe I'm just bad at writing posts. I apologise for thinking Yarith was behind the vines, but the fact that it was someone else just makes it more obvious that this is a widespread problem, not one or two people who have been named here.

I'm not threatening to quit. I already have. You won't be seeing Nikka anymore, because there's no more fun to be had with her. I just keep looking in here in the hopes that little me losing my cool might have been able to change things. Probably a vain hope.

• edited December 2016
    Maligorn said:

I used "anecdotal" because that is the nature of such testimonials - they can't be statistically replicated. That doesn't neccesarily mean it is unreliable, though. The people whose names you quoted are examples of people who grew through conflict - some of them certainly do claim so (therefore, anecdotal) and I think it's perfectly fine to take their claims at face value. The validity provided by their presence is, therefore, an example of the possible positives of certain activities - but on the other hand, I, or anyone else for that matter, would be hard-pressed to provide guarantee that their experiences will be replicated today.

If anything, the fact that we're grappling with this despite the fact that we have players from that "era" as examples (pardon the romanticised language) could be an argument to show to how some activities may simply no longer have the same positive effects they had in the past. The same activities that "grew" the past batch of resilient combatants are causing distress that encouragement and the "living example" of those oldies cannot assuage. Perhaps this is "softness" - or perhaps the frustration created is simply more unbearable today than in the past.

At the very least, both possibilities should be considered in full. Brushing off the second possibility - that circumstances have changed to no longer justify tolerating such activities - by just saying "Lusternia has grown soft, we had worse back in the day" is something that can backfire on the best of intentions (which is to preserve the validity of acts that are believed to have a positive impact.)

On the specific example of Caerlyr - my personal dislike of the player is probably inappropriate for this forums, so I'll keep it short: I have a problem with his character (edited to clarify: "character" as in human personality) - his grasp, and execution, of griefing was simply too shallow to have been either positive or negative, but I'm glad that he no longer plays this game as a member of the community. At least, if he's active as an alt, then at least he is not playing with his past persona. Either way, good riddance is all I can say.

• Maligorn said:
    Sigh. That feel when someone not only tries to shame an individual, but the entire org he's in. Just because our chastisement/discouraging of Yarith's more griefy tendencies doesn't reach it to the forums doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In the end, it's up to him whether he'll stop or not. At least as an A+ griefer he didn't get raised as a VA, coughUrazialcough
    It's hilarious to me that Urazial still comes up when he's barely played in many years. He kind of shakes his head every time I tell him it's happened again.
  • speaking as a non-com getting jumped while within city limits while doing non=com things is terrble esp if you hve no current outstanding priors with griefer and  thier org . good job guy.
  • Haha.

N: "Your side did it too!"
    S:"Well that was so long ago."
    N: "I was there when they were doing it."
    S: "Be the bigger person!"

I've ducked in and out of lusternia over the past 8 years, and the burden of being the better person has usually fallen to the same side. heh.
    Some of your "bigger people" are citing Urazial from like 7 years ago. IJS.
    I'm totally not Cyndarin.
  • edited December 2016
    Niradnic said:
    Haha.

I've ducked in and out of lusternia over the past 8 years, and the burden of being the better person has usually fallen to the same side. heh.
    You're right. They should cite you, instead.

In an effort to be less lol, let's also cite the likes of Vitas, or Munsia, for that matter.

There's a tendency to gloss over misdemeanors by players on 'your side', and paint it as 'just playing the game'. But the moment it's done to you, it's a crime against humanity and oh my god stop!!!

In conclusion: stop acting like you're on a high, high horse.
    WHY WE FIGHT
  • edited December 2016
    Sorry, I've already collected the "bitter forums alts who don't like me," badge a long time ago. I'm not really in the market for another one right now.

Edit to respond to the edit: The "no U" game is as old as Lusternia. The irony, of course, being that you're telling people to not be on a high horse while claiming "one side" apparently is the one on the high horse. It's kind of silly.
  • It's okay I don't have any badges to give away.
    WHY WE FIGHT
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I wrote out a whole post and deleted it. Meh.

I'm not against griefing. I just wish people would be a little more discerning about who they're griefing, and a little more honest with themselves and the people around them about why they're doing it. 

I also think that people do need to toughen up a bit. There's gonna be conflict, and while we all wish people would live and play by the rules we try to keep ourselves to, it's just not going to happen. Don't let asshats ruin your day. 
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Niradnic said:
    Haha.

You're right. They should cite you, instead.

In an effort to be less lol, let's also cite the likes of Vitas, or Munsia, for that matter.

There's a tendency to gloss over misdemeanors by players on 'your side', and paint it as 'just playing the game'. But the moment it's done to you, it's a crime against humanity and oh my god stop!!!

In conclusion: stop acting like you're on a high, high horse.
    Or we could cite Morbo, or Davos, or Rika, or Inagin, or Forren, or any number of other random people from either side. What's your point? 

It's also amusing that you mentioned Vitas. I'd post his kill list, but he's sort of retired. He rarely ever attacked people who weren't Glom enemies, and 90% of the people he decapped were afk on Prime. At least his actions taught people not to be inattentive on Prime, whereas Yarith attacking Nikkakorra really isn't going to teach Baelfyre not to attack Prime Celest.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I just get mad when I get stupid behaviour from people my character doesn't know and bug them about it in-game and find petty ways to get back at them like banning them in my shops (where they've bought stuff) or other little things like that. 

I'm juvenile like that. But sometimes it has fun consequences IC, like becoming friends with Karlach while leading a city he's been annoying, or repeatedly swatting at people who can't hit me back for fear of Avenger.
  • Somewhat tangential, but I think if we had server-side curing, we'd see a lot more faces in PK. Every other IRE has it and it's helped a lot to get people easily into combat.
    I could have gotten away if, you know, they hadn't specifically targeted me while I was tattooing which requires me to disable most of my triggers to stop me breaking the tattoo.

You know, after I specifically asked people to stop griefing me in prime Mag and said I would leave if it kept up.

Don't know why my reaction has surprised anyone.

• Save the overdramatics for off-peak raids and forest fires where it belongs!

• Just saying I hate the term "off-peak". Lusternia has two peak times. North American and those guys over there. The only true "off-peak" is when something happens in between either of those two times.
    edited December 2016
    Sylandra said:
    I'm sorry you feel you have to leave Lusternia after this one negative experience.

Qistrel said:
    It's not 'all it took'. This was the final straw after a hard month of being hit by vines constantly, having to hide off plane at some points cause I couldn't stop it, extending an olive branch by helping Hallifax avoid vines even though someone from Mag probably caused that incident in the first place. I made a heartfelt post pleading for people to stop ruining my enjoyment of hanging out in prime Magnagora, and saying that I was very close to leaving. And then for someone to come in and specifically do exactly what I had asked not to be done...that was just horrible.
    It's like people don't even read my posts.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Fine. I'm sorry you chose to leave Lusternia after these cumulative experiences. My point stands. It took more than one incident to make me need a break from Lusternia, too.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Hey remember when Avurekhos, Enadonella (lol at how she's actually piling on here too) and a few others were griefing Serenwilde for hours at a time every day? Rideta actually made a post telling people to back off on them because there are good RP reasons for what they were doing. Why did nobody give her grief for condoning what was essentially an action that someone said was driving them from the game?

I don't condone any of the griefing that Yarith does. I'm friends with Yarith, but I still call him a griefer. I tell him not to grief. If he goes ahead and does it then there is nothing I can do about it. There is nothing anyone in Hallifax can do it about. Just because we're not kicking him out to please Karlach or anyone else who wants to pile on Hallifax at any opportunity doesn't mean we condone it at an OOC level. Give Yarith all the shit you want but get off your high horse if you want to paint an entire organisation with the same brush because none of you are any better.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Oh please, stop with the pity party.

Maligorn does a whole "I don't get why we're associated with someone who we often associate with" melodrama when other people make a connection between Yarith's actions and Hallifax. I point out that there's a distinct lack of any public disavowing of what Yarith does coming from those who spend the most time with them.

Now apparently that means I want you to boot him out? Nah, I gave that as an example of what other people have done in the past, not some demand that it's what you should do.

I'm pointing out that, until this was noted on here, the distinct lack of any public disassociation has been telling, and that's why people assume you condone it. Especially when on the public surface of things you continue to raid together, s##tpost together and when people get into forum wars with you, moan about it on Discord together in a circle jerk.

People have had to do the same for other griefers before, hell Maligorn's bringing up someone who hasn't been relevant in seven years in some weird attempt to prove a point, suggesting that we need to apologise for someone who isn't even part of Glomdoring now.

If you don't like public perception of your (in)action in this regard, you should have probably done something to change it sooner instead of sitting here trying to make yourself out as some kind of victim in this whole debacle.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• TIL @Karlach is a mind reader.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Your signature is the weirdest fanshrine I think I've ever seen. I mean if you're just hoping for my attention you only need ask.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

edited December 2016
    Ladies, ladies. You're both pretty.

• Baelfyre said:
    I have found an interest in raiding prime New Celest recently, but I don't think I would define it as griefing, if we have the same definition in mind. I enjoy killing the npc denizens, and they seem to enjoy the fight. I'm also RPing him as having just discovered a joy in making art from corpses. I also of course find great excitement in fighting other combatants, which is why I come back again and again, constantly trying for a different outcome. If anyone feels griefed by my slaying of npc denizens and persistence, then perhaps it is true, I am griefing your convenience, your obligation to defend.
    I have no problem with you wanting to raid prime Celest. Or with killing NPCs (although I doubt it'll do much to draw defenders - we're generally not awake when you do it) or with making art from corpses. My objection is 100% only down to the putting up paintings of corpses inside New Celest. Due to a quirk of the mechanics, it falls down to 1-3 people to take those down every time you do it, and it takes a minute or so per painting. If you could RP Baelfyre as exploring a new (less OOC annoying) medium for his artistic expression (cooking? clothing? bone jewellery?) and sticking to putting the paintings up in Mangagora or the manses of friends, that would be much less griefy.
This discussion has been closed.