Tree Chopping Reports

1235»

Comments

• Maligorn said:
    Don't fae call out when they're being dragged to cosmic planes in the form of a yell across Ethereal? It's not as good as loyalsays obviously, but I definitely do expect to be enemied, or apprehended, or warned (if 1st time) if I'm caught influencing fae.

You'd have to be there to hear it though, its a bit different to daughters/cosmic/elemental loyals that call out on channels that you can hear across every plane(Is it every plane?) Well almost every plane.
  • Saran said:
    U, what? You should expect to be enemied for hunting cosmic mobs. Similarly, I expect to be enemied to both forests if I influence fae. 
    Aww, but you're arguing that you and I have equal access to your cosmic mobs, so why should you be mad? Also I look forward to the seven extra rifts between continuum and various places around astral and elemental.

Also, you're not asking for more fae, you're asking for more ethereal mobs, in the context of this conversation this means the essence spawning critters, which means you are easily able to walk into Serenwilde and hunt them without consequence.

Help  I'm trapped in the quote box.I will never like these forums

I'm asking for access, period. You have access to cosmic. We have access to fae. Bam. Simple as that. Restricting fae while still allowing cosmic to be bashed is stupid.

And yes i  am asking for essence mobs, so  that I  can bash them just as you are  able to bash elemental.

Ha yes these forums get me like that somtimes, I find the way to fix it is to delete the whole quote all of it and requote to fix it.
  • Dylara said:
    Xenthos said:
    Reason for why this is necessary, though-- with no Glomfolk around (Dylara had just logged off, Lysistrata not on, nobody says anything on any clans except Steingrim and Lavinya on Crux):

Falmiis has been exsanguinated by Glumki Thorneye.
    You see the death occur at a rain of leaves.
    12420h, 9390m, 9390e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrxk<>-

* A couple of clans and a newbie tell later, but not long enough for any day changes*

(Glomdoring): Brennan says, "May Crow curse those who cut down An enormous ravenwood tree before its time!"
    (Glomdoring): Brennan says, "May Crow curse those who cut down A mature ravenwood tree before its time!"
    (Glomdoring): Brennan says, "May Crow curse those who cut down A mature ravenwood tree before its time!"

Mmhm.
    I.. jut might not log in tonight. 
    We doing the @Estarra  thing to point out detriments to people playing and buying stuff in the game right?
    Veyils said:
    Yep and to quote falmiis on the gameplay quality

Falmiis said:
    I don't think it's fair for anyone, on any side, to try to invalidate the fact that someone is not having fun in this game because of the actions of others. Honestly I couldn't care less what the game was like "back in the day" or how much you had to endure because of some other griefers that played multiple years ago. The game's population is low enough as it is. We don't need to tell people to just suck it up or anything because if someone felt they needed to bring it up the more likely outcome is that when nothing changes they'll just stop playing the game altogether.

And yes, this is also aimed at people who play in the same org/side as me.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited December 2016
    We don't functionally have access to power generation on cosmic, do we? You can kill them but that doesn't grant your nexus any power. 

edit: And it's a weird argument anyways. Cities are functionally prevented from making any kind of meaningful power off fae already. Making that a real restriction (on power generation at least) will help cities in making a case for other power generation changes. 
  • Enyalida said:
    We don't functionally have access to power generation on cosmic, do we? You can kill them but that doesn't grant your nexus any power. 

edit: And it's a weird argument anyways. Cities are functionally prevented from making any kind of meaningful power off fae already. Making that a real restriction (on power generation at least) will help cities in making a case for other power generation changes. 
    Err technically you can I think, convert them to grey essence right?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited December 2016
    Veyils said:
    Enyalida said:

Err technically you can I think, convert them to grey essence right?
    Yep, but this only works if someone did the quest to fill the well (which can only be started on the full moon).  The always-empty well makes a lot of things "technically possible" but not actually possible in fact the bulk of the time.
  • edited December 2016
    If we have to keep the mechanic it would be nice if miakoda and Brennan shouted the locations of chopped trees or if they were in the logs.

Edit: just viewing this as a qol upgrade, making it less tedious for replanting.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• edited December 2016
    What? Doesn't anyone do the Caoimhe quest anymore? Please do! The reward is very very very adorable (the Well of Souls filling up is a tiny, tiny bonus in comparison). I love Arco  <3

I think the only time I've done the Caoimhe quest specifically to fill the Well of Souls was during the commune vs city war, heh. Arco is the bomb.
    WHY WE FIGHT
    Accountability is necessary.
  • edited December 2016
    Saran said:
    U, what? You should expect to be enemied for hunting cosmic mobs. Similarly, I expect to be enemied to both forests if I influence fae. 
    Aww, but you're arguing that you and I have equal access to your cosmic mobs, so why should you be mad? Also I look forward to the seven extra rifts between continuum and various places around astral and elemental.

Also, you're not asking for more fae, you're asking for more ethereal mobs, in the context of this conversation this means the essence spawning critters, which means you are easily able to walk into Serenwilde and hunt them without consequence.

Help  I'm trapped in the quote box.I will never like these forums

I'm asking for access, period. You have access to cosmic. We have access to fae. Bam. Simple as that. Restricting fae while still allowing cosmic to be bashed is stupid.

And yes i  am asking for essence mobs, so  that I  can bash them just as you are  able to bash elemental.
    As Xenthos has conveniently just highlighted, no we actually don't. Like all things to do with communes, there is a specific window when we can do this, in this case initiation is once every 32 hours. 

You're also making a seriously ridiculous comparison between fae and cosmic.
    You are aware yes that even getting to continuum or vortex is actually difficult if you're not a member of the affiliated city? The ability to do so is at 50% mythical in planar which requires that you go through the heavily guarded nexus unless they have finally gotten permanent rifts. Without that you need a cubix or you can try flying there but you have to have a flashpoint because it's not connected to the rest of aetherspace, while all novices from memory have to learn how to get to ethereal.
    You are aware that killing a mob is significantly different than influencing one? Specifically, killing a loyal mob will enemy you to its org meaning that the other loyal mobs will attack you on sight. Even one hit will alert everyone in the relevant guild to your actions and enable them to respond immediately. Where influencing the fae does not enemy you to faethorn and is comparatively easier to get away with because it appears they might not even yell to annouce the kidnapping attempt.
    You are also aware that you have a construct which can make enemies of hallifax go insane continuum yes? A capability that is not available in faethorn.
    You do also know that you have access to discretionaries on cosmic? Distort would make it more difficult to get away, ripple means a bit of extra damage being thrown at you, neither is available in faethorn.

Even a simplistic numbers game, 180 power a clear is more than 54 a clear split primarily between two organisations.

In the cosmic vs ethereal game you have the advantage in every single possible comparison except one, that being the power drain if someone actually raids you.

As has already been pointed out by others, elemental gates can be distorted making it impossible to use them, gates into ethereal territories cannot.

Your organisation is not the one that is asking for a nerf to their power, why do you think that you should be rewarded with extra power generation potential?
    As has been pointed out, we are not asking for more, any mechanic that we get is ultimately going to result in communes getting less power than they currently do and because of the complaints of people like yourself, our power generation potential will be lower than yours. The mechanic I have suggested simply lessens your advantage over us.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't fae only yell out if you mention the cosmic plane out loud, not if they're influenced?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Shaddus said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't fae only yell out if you mention the cosmic plane out loud, not if they're influenced?
    That is correct.  Also, enemies of Continuum will get insanity on Continuum whether or not the construct is up (the construct increases the rate).  Also-also, if enemied to both Night AND Moon, a person actually will get insanity in Faethorn.

• Xenthos said:
    Reason for why this is necessary, though-- with no Glomfolk around (Dylara had just logged off, Lysistrata not on, nobody says anything on any clans except Steingrim and Lavinya on Crux):

* A couple of clans and a newbie tell later, but not long enough for any day changes*

(Glomdoring): Brennan says, "May Crow curse those who cut down An enormous ravenwood tree before its time!"

Mmhm.
    Always the one to assume.

I was just chasing someone who had run into Etherglom and then hit S one time too many, had a good laugh at my own mistake and went to bed.

What point are you trying to make?
    edited December 2016
    Falmiis said:

Xenthos said:

Mmhm.
    Always the one to assume.

I was just chasing someone who had run into Etherglom and then hit S one time too many, had a good laugh at my own mistake and went to bed.

What point are you trying to make?
    I never assumed it was you (you are the one making that inference here).  Your cube was still sitting at Glumki.  If I had assumed it was you, I would have murdered the thing (and you would have received a message that I did).  Doesn't change the fact that very shortly afterwards a Certain Someone decided to chop trees and the assumption that it was related is one I am more comfortable making.

Edit: My actual assumption is that it was Yarith, given that he was farscouting immediately afterwards in my buffer (and reinforced by his forum responses).  That may be wrong, of course, but I was not actually intending to lay accusations against a specific person as to point out disproportionate responses.  "Someone killed my friend / killed my beast / looked at me rudely!  I must go chop a tree or ten!". Just does not feel like these things are anywhere near the same level.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    We can argue all we want about the power generation, equality and parity, in the end of the day, Solution 4 will probably carry the day in a change this big. The only thing that is being asked is to remove the Upkeep - whatever it takes to do is fine. The specifics can be handled or changed later, moving the first step towards change is more important than the details in the end.

We can argue all about the specifics, but some arguments have been against removing the Upkeep, and I just fail to see how anyone can come to that conclusion.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Saran, I'm definitely not going to suggest adding more fae creatures. Daughters/ladies spawn off a specific number of fae turned in. Adding more fae is going to signal a change in the status quo of that, and that's out of the scope I intend in this report.

Again, I'm going to repeat that I am seriously doubtful that the admin will consider locking out fae from cities as well. I don't think adding it into a report is a good idea.

If I summarise your suggestion correctly:

- When a fae respawns, give it a tah'vrai value. 11 should be Glom, 11 should be Seren, 5 should be Faethorn. Influencing a fae with the same value as your org gives x2 bonus, no change otherwise.

As a result, it will raise the power generated by 22 for a full clear, and add in a dynamic where two forests competing would lead to a mini-treasure hunt where they ignore a fae with an opposing/neutral tah'vrai to get their own bonus first (or alternatively try to get the opponents' first to deny them bonus power etc).

I think this is an interesting idea, but at the moment, I'm very reluctant to add this in into the report. For an additional 22 power, I can just suggest adding 10 essence creatures to the two ethereal forests, that'll be a potential +10 to +50 active power, and is a much simpler solution. Alternatively, I can also suggest adding a flat +1 to all fae power output, which will also be similarly simple for the same effect.

Adding an additional mechanic to fae will also meet the problem of the bath quest for the fae and how it affects the fae power, and finally, I'm not sure this implementation of the "tah'vrai" makes that much sense. The tah'vrai is a philosophical concept for the fae and the communes, but it's never really been concrete. It's a way of thinking that the fae use to convince (or console) themselves to give in to the demands of either forest - and which the forests use to justify their actions. A fae that is influenced is always going to become convinced that his tah'vrai is to whichever forest just succeeded in influencing him - and generally speaking, all the fae are reluctant to leave faethorn. Tah'vrai has never been associated with being "split" between the two forests.

If there is significant support for your suggestion, I'll change my mind and add it into the report, but as it stands, I think it'll have a better chance of passing in a standalone report anyway, rather than being rolled into #1580.

• edited December 2016
    @Lerad

Fair, again it's just fiddling with numbers

I'm really not actually arguing that fae should be locked out, it was an off-hand comment made after the confirmation that I expect that the cities will not have any bonus from this. I later confirmed this, as such my assumption is that all following posts were made complaining about the fact that I am suggesting that communes will receive a benefit and the cities will not.

The summary is correct.

As mentioned, if you feel the power gain is too low you can modify one of the variables. You could increase it to a multiplier of five and it would give you an additional 56 on yours only, 61 with the split, or 88 for a full clear which is 142. At this level you could maybe leave in the stinky fae mechanic, there would still be a gain if you got yours without washing them but washing them would still give a benefit.
    While you might not want to consider it, this is 40 less than cosmic generation which has been repeatedly argued by others as the city equivalent to fae gathering.

Ultimately, given your own arguments adding creatures and make them respawn attempts to make us more similar to the cities, I also have a personal distaste of this resolution because it translates a nerf to the communes to a benefit for the cities. My expectation would be that once ethereal creatures are more populous and respawning, the expectations regarding gathering essence from elemental planes will just be applied to the forest sections of ethereal, again reinforcing sameness.

The tah'vrai as an ooc mechanic, to whatever degree, was implemented as a result of Serenwilde claiming all of the fae constantly and enemying/hunting Glomdoring for even setting foot in faethorn in the early days of the southern commune. It was acknowledged for a while before being ignored except when someone want's to make someone else feel bad because ultimately there is no mechanical reason to pay attention to it.

From the lines I remember of Serenwilde influencing, I don't believe they actually change their Tah'vrai if you succeed, you've just convinced them that it's okay and they don't have to serve glomdoring.

I completely disagree with your comments about the Tah'vrai being something the fae used to convince themselves to give in to the forests. It's referenced in the book of Clangorum when Maeve was created, the Tah'vrai of the Maeve and the fae connected to her is to the forests. It isn't some fluffy excuse or justification, it is what the Maeve was made to do, serve and protect all forests to which she is connected, by extension it is the Tah'vrai of the forest fae. The reason why the communes stopped taking all fae for however long it was out of respect for this duty, we mostly stopped because people just started ignoring the purely rp mechanic that we weren't punished for.

EDIT: Oh for like clarity, I don't particularly care if it's included in this report or another. Just that like, it would likely be beneficial to have an end goal because we can work towards that.
  • Regarding tah'vrai as a concept, I'm not a very lore kind of guy, so what I described was just what I personally came to feel while playing - so if I'm wrong about it, that's fine by me.

Saran said:

Ultimately, given your own arguments adding creatures and make them respawn attempts to make us more similar to the cities, I also have a personal distaste of this resolution because it translates a nerf to the communes to a benefit for the cities. My expectation would be that once ethereal creatures are more populous and respawning, the expectations regarding gathering essence from elemental planes will just be applied to the forest sections of ethereal, again reinforcing sameness.

Your arguments do make sense - the suggestion won't make the mechanics between cities and communes more similar. I'd like to hear if there are others who also feel like it is a good solution because of that argument. If it is, I'll change my mind and add it in. Alternatively, if you can get another envoy who would like to use their report to change this, that's fine too.

Tah'vrai is an actual thing where if they don't do it the forests die.  So.  Yeah.  Its fae-meaning is "Duty" / "Obligation" / etc. (since no Fae word has an actual literal translation, they are more concepts).  It is also a big part of why the forests are so anti-Forest-Fae-Harm RPwise.
  • @Ymuli would you mind having a look? We're the only guild without a report in this month, unless the second serenguard report is using ours.

I mean the other option would be to see how this report works out, then raise it during the next month, the lowered power gain for the period isn't likely to be an issue, Seren's at like 3.8k right now.

Given the differences in our understanding of the tah'vrai, it would be nice if we could find someway to highlight it because it is meant to be important to commune lore imo.