Final Fantasy

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited December 2016
    VI has horrible horrible sprites though, I learned this after buying it on Android.

Would have preferred a straight FFVI Advance port.

Wonder if IV comes with TAY.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• What.

Those classic sprites are (were) the best thing about the classic FF games. What.

Not the new ported versions. The classic sprites yes, these abominations? God no

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Ah, right, you're talking about the android version. I missed that for some reason.

Well, truth be told the original versions are probably ugly as sin, if viewed objectively and without rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia.

The music, though, is good.

The original sprites still get used in Record Keeper, that style is also used to sprite all the later games.

I like it, apart from the fact you can confuse Tifa with pre haircut Garnet.

• So no-one else here is actually playing FFXV by the sound of it?

I love it. It's the first game (this aside!) that I've sunk any decent hours into lately. Only about halfway through the main story at the moment, but boy it's relaxing and is the most engaged I've been with Final Fantasy since FFX.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Highest PS console we have is a PS2. No XBox crap. So I can't play it :( .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Gonna wait for the PC port, I dont see myself shelling out for a PS4.

• Iosai said:
    So no-one else here is actually playing FFXV by the sound of it?

I love it. It's the first game (this aside!) that I've sunk any decent hours into lately. Only about halfway through the main story at the moment, but boy it's relaxing and is the most engaged I've been with Final Fantasy since FFX.
    I'm going to buy it this weekend if I can find it somewhere!
    I'm totally not Cyndarin.
  • edited December 2016
    Iosai said:
    So no-one else here is actually playing FFXV by the sound of it?

Oh, I already finished it but didn't want to talk too much about it.

I think as a game it's pretty good, wandering around the open world is fun and there's always some sort of side quest to do.

I just feel like the story hasn't really had as much of a visible impact on the open world as I would have liked (a lot of stuff seems like people are just are going about their normal day) and the second half of the game was a bit frustrating, because I would have liked it to be more like the first half.

I also think the magic system is pretty neat, it's like a better version of the ffviii draw system. And there's some cool exploits you can do (expericast is an awesome modifier), but at the same time I do feel the limitations, which might just be me because I prefer casting classes/jobs, especially supports.

I like buffing up my allies, and keeping them alive but the only thing I seem to be able to do to my allies with the magic is hit them if they're too close to the enemy, often leading to wasted spells and my tendency to only use them as an initiator (coupled with the wastage when you can't hit all of the enemies with your aoes).

Though, that time when I threw a blizzara when I was knee deep in water and then the water froze with everyone stuck in place was entertaining.

I guess, cliff notes are... I enjoy it because I wasn't too hung up on it being a full final fantasy experience, but if you're really looking for a traditional final fantasy then it's not necessarily going to fulfill that? I could very easily be it's own ip with some slight modifications.

EDIT: Also all versions of bombs are beyond evil and I hate them.
  • I was waiting for a recommendation from a reliable source before I picked up FFXV, and @Iosai tops the bill for reliable.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • edited December 2016
    I do not have the console required to play Final Fantasy Boy Band Road Trip Edition. but I did once give Final Fantasy: Charlie's Angels a try
  • I am sad that I have yet to come across a sidequest that requires them to perform a concert
  • Lol Final Fantasy Boy Band Road Trip
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Kiradawea said:

Actually, they should just cave and create a game where you play a party consisting of a Moogle, a Tonberry, a Cactuar and a Chocobo.
    Have you played Chocobo Dungeon 2?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Niradnic said:
    Lol Final Fantasy Boy Band Road Trip
    This is how the game has been explained to me by my best friend.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Shaddus said:
    Kiradawea said:

Actually, they should just cave and create a game where you play a party consisting of a Moogle, a Tonberry, a Cactuar and a Chocobo.
    FF Explorers also does most of this, Cactuars are pretty awesome in there too for the haste buff.

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Shaddus said:
    Kiradawea said:

!!! I had that game as a kid and completely forgot about its existence until just now. I played it so much! It was my first mystery dungeon game.
  • Stratas said:
    I was waiting for a recommendation from a reliable source before I picked up FFXV, and @Iosai tops the bill for reliable.
    I'm more than a bit of a fangirl for FF (it harks back to my childhood), so I'm certainly not an unbiased source... :wink: But if you do get it, hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I have! It's very different from any other FF.
  • I haven't bought FFXV yet, mostly because of the people saying that the mid-to-end game isn't really fully fleshed out, and because I watched a video where they basically went "Oh, yeah, and Square Enix will continue to update FFXV, especially fleshing out the later chapters". I'll probably hold off on it for a couple of months, but I'll definitely get it eventually.

I have, however, bought World of Final Fantasy, and I have to say from a mechanics standpoint, I find it absolutely amazing. It has the "build your own character" deal that I love, it has ATB waiting (which I've sorely missed from the last couple of games; it's been way too much button mashing and not enough time to pick what to do), and the whole pokemon-like "gotta catch all the mirages" thing does have me somewhat hooked. I'm only about 5 hours in, but so far, I absolutely love it. Yeah, the chibi-fied characters aren't really my cup of tea, but I can definitely get past that.
    Phoebus said:
    Shaddus said:
    Kiradawea said:

!!! I had that game as a kid and completely forgot about its existence until just now. I played it so much! It was my first mystery dungeon game.
    Chocobo Dungeon 2 was one of my absolute favorite games ever!
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited December 2016
    Okso, I'm actually playing FFXV right now, and it kept me afloat during the last week where I wasn't able to log into Lusty on account of being in another state sans laptop for a surprise Site-Survey. Mine was borked so I brought the PS4 instead. I suppose I could've logged in via my phone, but forget that noise.

ANYWAY IT'S PRETTY GOOD.

It's got a very open-worldy feel and is vastly removed from the eternal corridor that FFXIII was. I kind of wandered around the initial area for several hours doing side-missions, running bounties, gathering treasures, and tempting fate by rolling hard at Night instead of advancing the plot whatsoever and I'm told that feeling continues for most of the game. It reminds me of that sensation in Witcher III when you realize White Orchid or whatever it was is actually a tiny section of the huge map you're meant to explore, AFTER you already spent forever running around doing everything in what felt like a large map already. It has an interesting combat system akin to Kingdom Hearts where you've got three goofballs running around passively assisting you that you don't control directly (Outside of calling out special abilities from time to time) and it's all done in real-time. There's another method of combat where time stops, apparently, and you set up moves tactically but I haven't messed with it. I may have been lied to. I just like swinging my sword/lance/greatsword/daggers/spells and warping on people, thanks.

The story is certainly engaging and something I didn't expect was that the idle banter between the main characters is... well, good. Outside of them bitching every time I change my weapon out of combat, most of the discussion feels natural and tends to be entertaining. It's nice! Granted, this is only like twenty hours in (Seriously most of it was screwing off and doing sidequests) and I'm nowhere as deep as I feel like I should be, but I don't regret the purchase whatsoever thus far. I can't speak to Mid-Late game falling apart just yet, but even if that proves to be the case I think I'd still be happy. I bet what they flesh out turns out to be extra dungeons and equipments and things of that nature. Side quests for story items that didn't feel fully explained, etc (And to be honest I -do- kind of get the feeling that I'm missing out on something. I mean there's even an hour-long movie that you're meant to watch as a prologue to the game. That's kind of nuts.) Visually it's beautiful looking and sometimes you really do just pause and look around and soak it in. 'least I do.

Long story short, I say get it! ALSO Dunkey did a review on it if you want to check out his youtube. Seemed pretty spot on from what I've witnessed so far.
    (Magnagora): Thax says, "My truest favour to the soldier that brings me the weave of Neos."
    I hadn't planned on getting FFXV, but you people are talking me into it.
  • Shaddus said:
    I hadn't planned on getting FFXV, but you people are talking me into it.
    I'm feeling more excited about getting it now, for sure, based on the reviews here.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I bought it and got all excited. Took hours to install, had to go to bed. Now I'm at work anxiously waiting to play it. 
  • I bought it. It's soooo addicting. I make very slow storyline progress because I get sucked up in the side quests. Very well done, and so pretty. None of the characters annoy the crap out of me which is new for a final fantasy game. 
  • Isn't the main character supposed to be very whiny or something?

• edited December 2016
    I remember playing Final Fantasy Legend 3 as a kid. It was actually a SaGa game but for some reason they named it a Final Fantasy game in the States. That was pretty fun to min/max everything.
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • Speaking of which, they just realised a new SaGa in Japan. I was never a fan of that series, so I didn't grab it, though. Not that I have a PS Vita to play it, anyway.

Lerad said:
    Isn't the main character supposed to be very whiny or something?
    So VIII then?