Imposed Emotions

Last night I decided to RP a mechanic and it turned out to be interesting, though it went on to continue with different aspects later on which is why this log is cut at half. Apologies in advance.

Ninja-Rave to whoever that has played with us yesterday night :)

The RP:

You say to Dain, Nature Guide, "Greetings, Nature Guide Dain. I've come to you bearing questions 
about our practices and their roots."

You say to Dain, Nature Guide, "You've taught me so many techniques and methods in such a short time,  we never had the chance to converse about the discovery of those. While I don't believe we have time to cover all that's presented to me. I've but one technique that I must ask you about."

Dain, Nature Guide nods his head as he keeps his ears toward you to listen.

Offering a smile, Dain, Nature Guide says, "I am not sure if I can answer everything, but I can certainly try, Hierophant."

Saz dips his head with a content smile after the answer. "My thanks, Dain."

You say to Dain, Nature Guide, "The Death Prophesy of the Runes, Guide Dain. Such a potent tool to cut one's thread of life. I was told to imbue my "blood" into the runes for the Prophesy to fulfill.

Showing that he understands, Dain, Nature Guide nods his head slowly.

You say to Dain, Nature Guide, "It is different than most of our practices. I was wondering if you had known about the roots of this particular technique."

Dain, Nature Guide considers this for a moment, gently tapping his fingers against his chin. "Well, rune-casting traditionally is a form of divination, as you know," states the faeling, his wings 
beating behind him.

Continuing, Dain, Nature Guide says, "Which is the case with other prophesies, they forsee future possibilities. However, the prophesy of death is trickier. It is both divination and a manipulation of life essence. Hence blood. As blood is, above all else, one of the most potent sources of power 
available to us."

Thoughtfully, Dain, Nature Guide says, "Why is it that you say that the death prophesy is different than most of our techniques, Hierophant?"

You have emoted: Saz lowers his cudgel and rests his weight on it idly. "..." A moment's pause follows a brief concern suffusing the elfen's face. "I feel unbecoming after the each moment the Prophesy is fulfilled, Guide Dain." He averts his eyes in shame.

You say, "I laugh, as though there is an entertainment in taking life. The blood, it must be related to this. It... Has to be."

Dain, Nature Guide listens attentively, nodding as he does so.

You say to Dain, Nature Guide, "I haven't spoken to other Runists about this. Whether this is a common feeling the Prophesies weigh upon us. I'm ashamed, yet in mind I'm blaming the blood. It's a part of our practices, I understand it. We need this for protecting Serenwilde's benefits. But a part of me always questions... What -this- truly is."

Dain, Nature Guide nods slowly, his eyes downcast in thought. Finally, he lifts his head and smiles comfortingly.

Gently, Dain, Nature Guide says, "There is little thrill in the theft of life for the sake of bringing death, Hierophant. At least for those of us who do not hunt innocent lives for the fun of 
it."
Gentler still, but firmly all the same, Dain, Nature Guide says, "Now, let me ask you. What do you think the blood does for this casting, Hierophant? Why not use another means of power to augment this Runic spell? Sap, perhaps, or a little river mud?"

Saz murmurs to himself. "A little thrill..." His lips curl downwards in thought after the question. "I wouldn't have come to you, If I had the answer myself. But I -feel- as though, the blood is enabling myself. Other means can cause ailments that can cripple a foe. Perhaps to a point the death is ensured. But blood, takes the life directly, in my eyes."

Tapping his nose, Dain, Nature Guide says, "You are close, Hierophant. Remember that all magic requires channels to carry it."

You nod your head slowly in understanding.

Flexing his wings absentmindedly, Dain, Nature Guide says, "Remember your cudgel. You could, say, 
run up behind someone and give them a good few whacks over the head with it and kill them rather 
properly."

Dain, Nature Guide shrugs helplessly.

The corners of your mouth turn up as you grin mischievously.

Cheerily, Dain, Nature Guide says, "But we are a little more advanced. Instead, we know that the 
wasp's sting is far greater punishment for those who would befoul nature than mere blunt trauma, and so we borrow this power from nature itself."

Raising both hands above his head menacingly, Dain, Nature Guide says, "But we are not sorcerers and sorceresses who call upon these powers with dark thoughts and evil bargains with dark spirits. We do not point our fingers and call down hexes, the way wiccans can." 

Saz chuckles beneath his breath, amusedly.

Lowering his arms and shaking his head, Dain, Nature Guide says, "No, we are a people who use our 
tools -- the cudgel, for instance -- to augment our connections to the natural world. We draw upon 
the wasps and ask for their assistance, and they do our bidding because of our partnership."

Stepping lightly in midair, his wings holding him aloft, Dain, Nature Guide says, "But with rune 
casting...that is a little different. You see, the runes themselves hold fractions of our inherent 
power. The sigils we draw upon them are mere letters and words of strength, but if drawn by someone who cannot harness that power, they are..."

Shrugging, Dain, Nature Guide says, "Little squiggles."

Comprehension flashes across your face.

Winking, Dain, Nature Guide says, "They're still tools, Hierophant. Potent tools and, when used 
together, complex tools, but at their core, they're merely rocks with our power imbued into them."

Smiling again, Dain, Nature Guide says, "What is the common root in all of these different 
examples?"

Flitting into the air, Dain, Nature Guide exclaims, "That's right! You!"

You say, "That we're indeed channeling our own essence for the-."

Saz nods and smiles.

You say, "In other words, Us."

Floating in the air above you, his eyes lost in thought, Dain, Nature Guide says, "Indeed. You, and 
so do all creatures, hold an inherent magical power just for existing in this world. Thanks to the 
Elder Gods, Who created the creatures we interact with, and for the Elder Gods Who gave us life as 
we know it."

Lowering himself to the ground, Dain, Nature Guide says, "Blood is a direct source of our lifeforce, 
Hierophant. It is a river of power that flows through our veins. Without it, our cycles would end."
Softly, Dain, Nature Guide says, "Imagine what adding a drop of this power to a simple spell would 
do for that casting."

Lifting a brow, a thought occurring to him, Dain, Nature Guide exclaims, "Why the sudden interest in 
such a thing? It hasn't been thought of in...why, thousands of years! Perhaps more!"

And this is where this log ends for the curious eyes.

The mechanical reason behind the RP: 

Saz points a crooked finger at you, croaking again the foretelling of your doom. Pain suddenly wracks your heart as the weave of Fate twists tight around your heart and it abruptly stops. You fall to the ground dead at Saz's feet just as he has prophesied, his cruel cackling the last sound you hear.
 "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian

Comments

• Scrolling down, marveling at how good the rp is going and the care of the admins...then last paragraph. Wham. 
    "May this be the first of many new experiences for you, Heart of the Crescendo," Czixi says, smile quirking. "The future is an exciting place."

https://estelss16.deviantart.com/, visit if interested.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Dain, don't Hartstone actually use lightningbugs instead of wasps?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited December 2016
    That was his point, I thought -- that they don't use wasps because they're evil, even though they could. Maybe I'm reading it wrong :?.

• I don't think that was the point. I've read it as an analogy to how Druidry worked back then. Considering the skillsets, what Shaddus brought up seems on point. Because BT's Lightningbugs equivalent appears to be Wasps.

Yet, Dain was absolutely correct! Because all Druids share the Swarm ability. And swarm consists of both Bees and Wasps!

DRUIDRY - SWARM

Syntax: FORESTCAST SWARM [DEMESNE]

This can be cast in a single forest location or throughout your demesne.
    Wasps and bees will hear your call and swarm your enemies, paralysing
    them with their stings. If it is cast for your demesne, it will only
    affect the region of your demesne where you stand, but as you move
    throughout different areas of your demesne, it will shift areas with
    you.

As the bees sting the bodies of your opponents, any existing allergic
    reaction they are having will undoubtedly worsen.
     "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
  • Swarm from memory is a general druidry ability and summons both wasps and bees from memory.

I feel the use here is just to use a creature known to be potentially deadly for the example of a power borrowed in comparison to ones personal power.