Firstaid

Firstaid is obviously not great, but with a few tweaks it can become a useful band-aid system until true server-side can be coded. This would allow players like newbies and those on phones to have basic curing to participate a bit more in combat from the get-go.

Suggested Changes:
  • Move firstaid and curing to inept level, so every player gets this out of the gate. 
  • Consider consolidating curing and firstaid into one skill or a config/help file for easier reference
  • Add a command FIRSTAID AUTOCURE to enable firstaid autocuring
  • When autocure is active, have the game automatically do FIRSTAID ADD <affliction> when a player receives the message YOU HAVE BEEN AFFLICTED WITH <affliction>
  • When autocure is active, have the game automatically do FIRSTAID REMOVE <affliction> when a player receives the message YOU HAVE CURED <affliction>
  • When autocure is active, ideally suppress all the firstaid echoes (very spammy) or have a new command FIRSTAID MSGS ON/OFF
  • Currently CURING ON/OFF will cause an aeon command delay. This means you cannot disable autosipping while in aeon and the sipper gets you trapped in an aeon loop by repeatedly trying to sip. Changing this to not trigger the aeon delay will let people use the game's sipper, which they can then disable for aeon curing (aeon curing is a bit more complex, so I wouldn't expect this bandaid system to handle it).
These are not many changes, but they would allow people to run a rudimentary curing system in game with almost no setup needed, which would help get more people into PK and make the curing elements of the game seem less daunting to new players.

Comments

• Ianir said:
    Note: Firstaid and server-side curing is on our list of priorities after all non-overhaul afflictions have been removed.
    Right, that's why I'm suggesting something really small to just be a band-aid until then.
    • Move firstaid and curing to inept level, so every player gets this out of the gate. 

This is basically already a thing, at least. You get the lessons refunded to you when you use the skills.
  • Rhi said:

This is basically already a thing, at least. You get the lessons refunded to you when you use the skills.
    Right, but they have to know to learn it. Just yesterday I was helping a newbie who was all sorts of afflicted - turns out he had dove straight into the Collegium and Newton and hadn't learned any lessons yet or read about getting cures. Learning lessons is not a universal MUD/RPI/etc concept nor is our org scroll culture so this is actually something I've seen fairly commonly over the years. Sure, the new player will eventually get taught, but they may also decide the game's not their cup of tea before they get to that point, so why complicate it? 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    edited February 2017
    I...does the...Testing something.

EDIT: Went through the intro again. A) the FOREVER FREE thing still feels like a 'doth protest too much' thing. B) The Lamp prompts you to learn and check your achievements. If you keep following up on achievements, it eventually even tells you to learn firstaid.
  • Totally agree with the forever free thing, it feels weird.

Do newbies use the lamp? I see a lot of questions asked that the lamp is supposed to answer. 

The rank change was just a suggestion - "baseline autocuring" versus "you have to spend lessons to learn autocuring" sounds different to potential players, even if they are functionally the same, but that's simply my opinion and not really central to the main suggestion.

@Ianir's response seems to indicate that this won't be considered, though, which is fair enough!

@Ianir - Can the CURING ON/OFF part at least be considered for changing? The aeon loop makes firstaid pretty impossible to use in PK - with that fixed, it's fairly functional as a basic system with some client-side triggers.