The Cerulean Skybird and the Crystal Song

edited February 2017 in Event Scrolls
*There's a spoiler of the song from the new Clarramore quest in here, not sure how spoiler tags work so I'll just mention it here!

Miella Windwhisper sweeps gracefully in from the southeast, trailing fine cerulean silk.

A storm-coloured greyhound pants heavily, his tail wagging enthusiastically.

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird curtseys gracefully.

You curtsey gracefully before Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird.

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird exclaims, "Oh, Lord Faethun throws the most fabulous parties, and Lord Shevat has the greatest sense of humour! Such cute little stories!"

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird offers a small, affected laugh as she fans herself, letting her amusement trail off with a soft, contended sigh.

A flock of birds passes below the platforms, chattering in excitement among themselves.

Vinna arrives from the southeast.

Vinna leaves to the southeast.

A small smile curving her lips, you ask Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, "Lord Shevat? What sort of stories did he tell?"

But as soon as she has made the almost rote reply, Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird's attention becomes taken by a chubby little swan. So distracted is she that she entirely fails to notice the probing question. "Oh me, oh my! Aren't you the most darling thing!"

Xeii's dark, rich voice blooms into peals of melodious laughter.

You say to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, "Fitio is a darling, is he not. You should visit the Clarramore Cloud Gardens sometime, Lady Windwhisper."

Airy notes of a beautiful harmony swirl about you, borne upon a delicate breeze.

"I had heard such rumours of swans from the Gardens, but I had not realised they were so dear!" Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird exclaims, taking light-footed steps over to Fitio and kneeling down beside him. Folding her fan away, she holds her hand out gently - palm down, close enough to be reached for but not so near as to startle.

Xeii's swan approaches the trill curiously, this time not rushing forward to peck or coolly ignore.

Raising her eyebrows subtly, you say to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, "He seems to like you, most swans seem to be rather haughty when it comes to people other than their owners."

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird waits patiently, not moving a muscle, and allows the swan to tentatively nudge at the back of her hand. "Well, Fitio," she says, with a broad smile, "it is very lovely to make your acquaintance."

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird says to you, "Such proud creatures they are! And why not, when they have so much to be proud of?"

A flock of birds passes below the platforms, chattering in excitement among themselves.

Her eyes looking into the distance for the briefest moment, you say to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, "Indeed, the songs they can sing are truly something to be admired..."

Applying a gentle pat to the top of the swan's head, Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird rises gracefully to her feet. "I understood it to be a terribly difficult thing, coaxing a song from a swan."

A series of chiming notes, distinctly crystalline, ring out in the distance in a slow, descending scale.

Furrowing her brow slightly, you say to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, "The power of Lord Crys seemed to have much to do with this. I am not sure myself of how it worked, but once the shards that helped us see into His and Lady Jilai's thoughts were put together..."

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird's brow dips into a faint frown that mars her fine features with rapt concern as she listens.

The horizon glows with burnished shades of orange and red, heralding the imminent arrival of Father Sun upon the rim of the world.

Rays of sunlight sparkle down through the crystal paths, which shimmer with a golden radiance.

Expression equally rapt and focused as she recalls, you say to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, "It was the first time any of us heard Lord Crys and Lady Jilai's thoughts. Even us Symphonists knew so little about the lore related to our guild, but after it..."

Minio arrives from the southeast.

Minio leaves to the northwest.

Sparkling motes of bright light surround the Matrix.

"Oh," murmurs Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird with a sigh, clutching her closed fan to her chest. "What wonders you must have learned from such a marvel!"

Wondir steps out of the Matrix, trailing sparkling motes of light.
Entering from the ether with a waddle, a fluffy little swan toddles in.

You say to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, "Just bits and pieces of the story I heard...something about betrayal, about entering a gem..."

Smiling softly, you say to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, "More questions than answers, it seems at times. Yet, the song that came at the end was indeed breathtaking. The voice of our guild tutor Themselves!"

Xeii smiles brightly at Wondir in greeting as she pauses in her tale.

Delicate harmonies dance through the air around you to weave a complex song.

Wondir lightly pecks the air beside each of your cheeks, greeting you formally.

Junior Fellow Wondir, Bachelor of Temporal Science murmurs, "Oh, please continue."

Wondir's eyes sparkle with amusement.

Falmiis, riding a companionable cube, enters from the up, emanating an aura of immense power.

Pinni arrives from the north.

Pinni leaves to the southeast.

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird's surprise-parted lips come together once more, and she nods her head, frown still remaining. "I am sorry to hear it was not a good history," she says, dipping into a curtsey that seems absentminded but yet remains terribly polite. "But to hear the song of one of the Keepers, my goodness!"

Shuffling its cuboids around contemplatively, a companionable cube emits a little beeping ditty, quite musical and catchy. As the cuboids settle into place and reveal a rosy heart on each side, the cube chirps in an ominous, discordant tone, "STILL ALIVE."

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird blinks incredulously at a companionable cube.

Wondir inclines her head politely to those around her.

Junior Fellow Wondir, Bachelor of Temporal Science murmurs, "Please excuse me."

Xeii hums a few bars of the song in question, her contralto giving the song a different quality from the high melodies of her memory.

Falmiis Shevat says, "Don't mind the cube. It likes to remind me of his state of being alive."

You incline your head politely to Wondir.

Wondir leaves to the southwest.
Toddling off to the southwest, a fluffy little swan waddles away.

Shuffling its cuboids around contemplatively, a companionable cube emits a little beeping ditty, quite musical and catchy. As the cuboids settle into place and reveal a rosy heart on each side, the cube chirps in an ominous, discordant tone, "STILL ALIVE."

Rays of sunlight sparkle down through the crystal paths, which shimmer with a golden radiance.

"It is certainly...keen to do so," Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird agrees, smiling gently. Her eyes flicker back to you once more. "That is a beautiful melody - perhaps one day I shall be lucky enough to hear the whole thing. Not that I have an ear for music, mind..." She trails off, flushing attractively.

Xeii looks thoughtfully at Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird before offering, "I could try and replicate it, though I should warn you my voice is rather different."

A sick elderly dwarf yells, "I like cheese!"

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird flicks open her fan with a deft twitch of her wrist, using it to soften the edge of her delighted smile. "I should love to hear it, though I had not intended to demand a performance!"

Minio arrives from the northwest.

Minio leaves to the southeast.

Glorious rays of morning light burst forth from Father Sun's crown as it peeks over the world's edge, announcing a bright and shining new dawn.

Xeii glows a warm beryl as she shakes her head, saying, "Oh, no. It is an honour for me to show others what means so much to the Symphonium." She briefly clears her throat before taking up her violin, intending to provide the high notes in the song that her own voice finds difficult to reach.

You sing, "Shall I sing for a God who loved nothing living, heart harsh, unforgiving as stone? A Conductor Who scorned the most passionate scores, destined to compose all alone."

Pure crystalline tones echo around you in a chorus of harmonious song.

Sunlight glitters from the spires and platforms of the surrounding city.

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird tilts her head as she listens intently, all but rocking up onto the balls of her feet with delight.

Her violin murmuring soprano notes, as if asking, you sing, "Shall I give praise to the God Who coaxed purest song from crystals in order arrayed, or weep for the One who would shed not a tear on the night when I was betrayed..."

Even Fraesic Sunfar, Keeper of the Matrix turns to listen, one eyebrow quirked in interest.

Falmiis folds his wings behind as he turns his attention toward your song.

Sunlight glitters on the surrounding buildings, reflecting dizzily off of nearby spires and mosaics.

The sounds of the violin diminish somewhat as Xeii's voice grows stronger, taking on to the best of her ability the voice of the Keeper of the Crystal Song.

You sing, "O weep not, My vessel, for what you have lost, but rejoice in what you have gained. The Song I have taught you is worth every cost, its glory worth these fleeting pains."

You sing, "For long ago in aeons past, Dynara called Me the 'Lord of Crystalline Song'. Only I understood, of the Keepers She formed, that structure made Harmony strong."

Her voice cool and composed, not a hint of doubt showing, you sing, "My perfected art had no patience for the sounds of excessive, whimsical verse. I found crystals harmonise in complex array, My music belonged to them first."

Gazing down her hooked nose, a city administrator enters from the northwest.

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird smiles softly.

Her violin growing in volume once more, you sing, "Shall I sing for a God who loved nothing living, heart harsh, unforgiving as stone? A Conductor Who scorned the most passionate scores, destined to compose all alone."

A flurry of loose feathers blows by in a gust of wind, whirling over the edge of the platforms into open air.

Xeii sings once again, "Shall I give praise to the God Who coaxed purest song from crystals in order arrayed, or weep for the One who would shed not a tear on the night when I was betrayed..." She switches to low tones again, her transition natural if longer than the original.

You sing, "My refuge, the gems of My art, proved My saving grace when it was I Zenos sought. Naught but an echo, My voice became dim, dead as the crystal it was buried within."

The sun reaches the zenith of the firmament, pausing in his quest to allow the land to bask in his shining golden rays.

You sing, "When I clasped that pendant about my neck, did I ever know, did I ever suspect? That with Your gifts came Your loneliness, too? That ache, the burden of eternal solitude!"

With a polite nod of her head, a city administrator leaves to the southwest.

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird lets out a small gasp which she quickly muffles with her fan.

Her eyes darkening, you sing, "Scores of Your verse echoed in my mind, unceasing in demands neither gentle or kind. As do they still, for my death has not ceased Your demands to go beyond the heights I have reached."

Gazing down her hooked nose, a city administrator enters from the southwest.

Thin slivers of cloud ripple slowly across the crystalline walkways.

You sing, "The heights that you reached were but the start, the groundwork for the pinnacle of Our art! The music We made could live even now, Our Song unceasing beyond your last fated bow."

With a polite nod of her head, a city administrator leaves to the northeast.

Gazing down her hooked nose, a city administrator enters from the northeast.

Dark astral currents flow together and congeal into a giant dismembered tongue.

A giant dismembered tongue yelps in pain as a companionable cube bashes him.
Falmiis has scored an OBLITERATING CRITICAL hit!
The Medallion of Knowledge worn by Falmiis sends forth a beam of azure light which blows the brains out of a giant dismembered tongue.
Falmiis scoops up the corpse of a giant dismembered tongue.

Xeii's voice does not hint toward conflict, in keeping with the role she is playing within the song, though she cannot keep amber tones from entering her skin. "Immortal structure with your mortal voice, perfected harmony a cause to rejoice." Her rich voice rises in a question once more, a touch of emotion colouring the lyrics. "I give you this, do you still think Me cruel? Do you call Me unkind, do you spurn My jewel?"

You sing, "Do not despise Me, Jilai, for claiming your soul. Do not weep, My dear, that you've conquered death so."

Dark astral currents flow together and congeal into a mass of tentacles.

Dark astral currents flow together and congeal into a giant dismembered tongue.

A companionable cube wounds a mass of tentacles with a glancing cut.
The Medallion of Knowledge worn by Falmiis sends forth a beam of azure light which blows the brains out of a mass of tentacles.
Falmiis scoops up the corpse of a mass of tentacles.
As Falmiis snaps a golden whip of the pious with a negligent flick of his wrist, paeans of heavenly verse cry out from where a giant dismembered tongue's flesh has been scathed by holy light.
Falmiis has scored an ANNIHILATINGLY POWERFUL CRITICAL HIT!
The final blow proves too much for a giant dismembered tongue, who expires, pitifully.
A giant dismembered tongue has been slain by Falmiis.
A small quantity of sovereigns spills from the corpse.
Falmiis's eyes glint as he reaches down and collects the gold.

Closing her eyes, you sing, "Muse and Master, Conductor and Song...Together at last, where We both belong."

Falmiis scoops up the corpse of a giant dismembered tongue.

You sing, "I pity You, Lord of the Crystalline Song. I pity Your solitude, and I pity how long You've suffered in silence, in unbearable pain. I forgive You these nights, I forgive You the strain-."

New resolve in her voice, you sing, "Of the tears I have wept, with Your perfection in mind, unceasing demands that I - Relieve You with music that You've wished to be sung, and so I will sing, let Your Will be done!"

The lonely cry of a hunting bird echoes, calling out from somewhere below.

With a polite nod of her head, a city administrator leaves to the northwest.

So focused is Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird that she seems not to notice the onslaught of the Almighty around her. Her fan has wilted in her hands, hanging on only by the ribbon that attaches it to her wrist.

Becca arrives from the southwest.

Gazing down her hooked nose, a city administrator enters from the northwest.

Xeii's violin and voice twines together in strains of triumphant song, laced with emotions more complex than simple joy or hope. "Let the curtains rise, let the crowd encore!"

With a polite nod of her head, a city administrator leaves to the southwest.

You sing, "Let Our Voice harmonise, let the music soar!"

Becca leaves to the southwest.

You sing, "Master and Muse, Conductor and Song."

You sing, "Together at last, where We both belong."

Xeii draws out the notes for a moment, allowing the music to naturally slow into silence. As her eyes flutter open slowly, one can see they are suspiciously liquid.

You step forward with regal poise, one hand graciously extended to your audience as you sketch an elegant bow.

Continuing the hunt for his dark mate, Father Sun presses forward in his journey, lowering himself in the sky yet still casting even, full light upon the land.

It occurs only belatedly to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird that applause is in order - for she stands quite still of a sudden, her eyes glassy and unblinking. After a moment she catches herself, brings her hands together before her in gentle appreciation, and looks up at you intently. Very quietly, she asks, "He...controlled her? Controls...her?"

Quietly, you say to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, "She seems to have accepted this."

Dull chiming noises echo in the distance at regular intervals, the sound of hammers on crystal.

Xeii thrums amber once more, no doubt remembering the connection between Windwhisper and Clarramore she recently learned of.

Pinni arrives from the southwest.

Pinni leaves to the southeast.

"I...my apologies," Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird half laughs, the sound empty of mirth. She steps a little towards you, and lowers her eyes to the ground. "I did not mean to imply that she had not, I simply...I simply...do not like beings of great power who manipulate and control others."

Pensively, Falmiis Shevat says, "I don't think control is the right word. He saw it as an exchange - one that Lady Jilai accepted."

Dull chiming noises echo in the distance at regular intervals, the sound of hammers on crystal.

You say, "There is no need to apologise, Lady Windwhisper. It is natural that one would harbor doubts about this arrangement..."

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird's lips curl into a half-smile. "That is always what They want you to think," she replies, tilting her head towards Falmiis. "But I do not wish to sully this with my fears. It was a beautiful performance, and one that I am very grateful to have heard."

You smile softly at Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird.

You say to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, "I am very happy to have an opportunity to share the song."

"If you will excuse me," Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird says almost abruptly, dipping into a graceful curtsey before you, "I believe that it is a piece that requires some contemplation. I thank you again, it was - it was beautiful." The tremour in her voice is unnoticeable to all but the most empathetic.

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird inclines her head politely to Falmiis.

Closing her delicate silk fan, Miella Windwhisper gathers her skirts and sweeps away to the southeast.

Shadows grow longer in anticipation for the return of their dark mistress as Father Sun's chase brings him closer to the world's edge.

Sparkling motes of bright light surround the Matrix.

Xeii stands as if unaware of her surroundings, only belatedly noticing the trill's departure. She exhales softly, lowering her eyes as she runs a hand through her hair.

Vinna arrives from the southeast.

Vinna leaves to the southwest.

Wondir steps out of the Matrix, trailing sparkling motes of light.
Entering from the ether with a waddle, a fluffy little swan toddles in.

Dark astral currents flow together and congeal into a mound of gibbering eyeballs.

A mound of gibbering eyeballs howls as a companionable cube hacks into him.
The Medallion of Knowledge worn by Falmiis sends forth a beam of azure light which blows the brains out of a mound of gibbering eyeballs.
Falmiis scoops up the corpse of a mound of gibbering eyeballs.

You greet Wondir with a sincere smile.

Wondir smiles softly.

Wondir lightly pecks the air beside each of your cheeks, greeting you formally.

Wondir inclines her head politely to those around her.

Wondir leaves to the southeast.
Toddling off to the southeast, a fluffy little swan waddles away.

A chubby little swan dips his head low.

The perception of time momentarily slows to a fraction as Lachesis studies the Tapestry of Fate, carefully measuring each strand before making notations in a great tome. Time rushes forward as the memory fades, yet the feeling remains that your history in Lusternia is recorded in the great annals of fate, for better or for worse.

The Matrix darkens slightly as its core begins to dim, its velocity slowed.

Swirling ribbons of energy race along the inside of the Matrix infusing the core of the Matrix with life, causing it to glow with a dazzling incandescence.

Nodding to herself, Xeii departs, leaving a smile for Falmiis and a quick dip of her head to Fraesic Sunfar, Keeper of the Matrix.

-later-

A cerulean parlour.
Banks of clouds roil about here. Miella Windwhisper stands proudly here, gracefully fluttering a cerulean silk fan.
You see a single exit leading down.

Xeii slips quietly into the parlour, clearly not wishing to disturb.

A chubby little swan dips his head low.

Xeii stands awkwardly for a moment before swiftly making her way to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, a letter in her hand.

You give a fragrant letter depicting three Hallifaxian flowers to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird.

Lifting an eyebrow, Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird says, "Thank you, but what in the world will I do with a fragrant letter depicting three Hallifaxian flowers?"

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird hands a fragrant letter depicting three Hallifaxian flowers back to Xeii with a polite shake of his head.

You say to Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird, "For your later perusal."

You drop a fragrant letter depicting three Hallifaxian flowers.

You curtsey gracefully before Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird.

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird exclaims, "Oh, Lord Faethun throws the most fabulous parties, and Lord Shevat has the greatest sense of humour! Such cute little stories!"

Miella Windwhisper, the Cerulean Skybird offers a small, affected laugh as she fans herself, letting her amusement trail off with a soft, contended sigh.

-the letter in question-

The surface of this stationery is soft and not entirely smooth, allowing
ink and lead alike to leave clear marks whilst providing some sensory
satisfaction for the writer's hand. It is dyed lilac, shimmering and
pale, and the scent emanating from it is faintly reminiscent of lilacs
as well. At the lower right-hand corner, softly glittering ink blooms
into a small bouquet of Hallifaxian flowers. A single white fractal
flower is drawn as the centrepiece, supported by three onyx rosebuds and
surrounded by multitudes of tiny, pale blue flowers that spill left and
upwards. The sweet fragrance seems to be coming from the minuscule
blossoms; the images of the shyly closed buds and pristine fractal
flower offer nothing but their forms and colours for the viewer to
admire. Lines a shade darker than the paper keep letters and the overall
look neat and orderly, befitting the origins of the three species of
flowers that are depicted upon this missive.

You read what is written on a fragrant letter depicting three Hallifaxian flowers:
To the Cerulean Skybird,

Greetings, Lady Windwhisper. I hope you are finding the weave well.
It was a burden I gave to you the last time we spoke to each other, I
know. An interesting one, but a burden nonetheless. Considering the
circumstances, I wished to let you know that if you wish to speak about
this--the song, the Lord and Lady, whatever it may be--again, both I and
the Opus are always open for discussion.

We may not know everything about what passed between Lord Crys and Lady
Jilai, the exact nature of Their relationship, nor about the things
'They' truly think as opposed to what They want us to think. Still, I am
certain we could find understanding together through discourse, if you
wish to partake in it.

Be well, Lady Windwhisper. I hope what troubles you will be put to rest
soon.

Regards,
Aficianado Xeii Shevat
P.S. I thought perhaps this might make you feel somewhat better.

A fragrant letter depicting three Hallifaxian flowers is holding:
"iris283055"                            a faceted amethyst iris
1 items found.
"May this be the first of many new experiences for you, Heart of the Crescendo," Czixi says, smile quirking. "The future is an exciting place."

https://estelss16.deviantart.com/, visit if interested.

Comments

• I had to skim because I don't want to see the spoilers, but the writing I read was lovely. Looking forward to reading the rest soon (maybe not soon, I'm bad at quests)! 

So cool that the world comes alive like this! I always love when NPCs come to life as it hints at thousands of tales and adventures going on in the world beyond just the stories us players are part of.