Possessed by Crys: She-Nann-igans

edited April 2017 in Event Scrolls
This series of logs all took place this afternoon, and are compiled from a number of viewpoints, so I've tried to make everything third person. Mad kudos to the admin who pitched in and made it possible - @Isune and potentially anyone else. It was loads of fun!

It all started when @Xeii was possessed by the Voice of Crys, during the Hallifax guild dissolution... (more on that here: http://forums.lusternia.com/discussion/3060/daughter-wife-heart). After the event, the Voice didn't leave, much to the concern of her family...

-----

School of Harmonic Arts. 
Banks of clouds roil about here. The walls drop away on either side of this circular chamber, allowing a view outwards into the firmament and the gleaming city of Hallifax. Underfoot, the floor is gleaming onyx: to either side, curling lines of silver-set enameling curve across the arched doorway leading back into the University proper. Gentle chiming noises sound out from the floor; a large instrument of golden wood rises from the centre of the floor, string stretched taut across the curving frame. From outside, the wind batters at the walls of the Collegium, echoing out scales of crystalline music notes as it strikes the massive windowpanes. Professor Nann Baruwski rests here eyeing her surroundings with a critical air. She wields a small crystalline harp. 

Professor Nann Baruwski is an elderly dwarf lady with an air of extreme self-possession. Her silver-white hair has been done up in an elegant bun, with a small red bonnet topping her head. Two sizeable braids of silver drape from the sides of her cheeks, impeccably groomed and neatly tied with thin ribbons of black and crimson. Her cheeks are firm and ruddy, and framing her twinkling green eyes are a pair of delicate spectacles that rest atop her proud, round nose. A comfortable red dress with ebony buttons adorns her ample figure, over which she has thrown an elegant black shawl. A pair of neatly polished raised- heel shoes completes her wardrobe, its dark and supple leather gracefully encompassing her well-sized feet. She carries a small crystalline harp and occasionally strums the strings, producing delicate clear notes. 

Nelras says to Professor Nann Baruwski, "Greetings, Professor." 

Nelras says to Professor Nann Baruwski, "Might I speak with you for a moment?" 

Professor Nann Baruwski tells Nelras, "Many tidings, Lord Shevat! What may I do you for?" 

Nelras says to Professor Nann Baruwski, "I understand this might be an unfortunate subject, but I was hoping to speak to you about the Voice of Crys." 

With some measure of hesitation, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Oh, indeed? I heard the Voice suffered through recent events." 

Quietly, Nelras says, "He did, yes. However, there is a problem and I hope you might be able to give me something. I am trying to figure out how to resolve the situation and need to know everything I can about the Voice." 

Apologetically, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Oh my, I'm so sorry my dear. Much of the knowledge of the Voice left me when it did. In fact, much of the experience is barred from my access." 

Professor Nann Baruwski muses to herself briefly, looking upon her own instruments here. "It is strange and wondrous, aye? The power of sound? What I can tell you, my experiments did get some unusual recordings from the ordeal and the others retold the story to me afterward." 

Sympathetically, Nelras says "I am sorry, both to hear that and what has happened since." His features harden and his voice becomes harder. "Anything you can tell me, Professor, anything at all. The Voice..." He pauses, uncertain, before adding "The Voice has taken refuge within another mortal." 

On alert now, her posture and features brightening with surprise, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Has it now? Do tell me how it was done for my memoirs?" 

Frowning, Nelras says, "I will explain it to you, but I must know how we might convince Him to leave." 

Professor Nann Baruwski turns away and sifts through her neatly annotated pile of papers, then with a look of comprehension she whispers a soft 'ah' and returns with the appropriate papers and memory crystal. 

Looking at her papers and touching the crystal with soft reverie, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Let us compare notes, shall we Opus? Apologies if that must sting, but you will now be the last Opus and until you acquire a new title, allow me the indulgence sir." 

Nelras says, "I suppose that will be acceptable, I can hardly begrudge you that. Not when you will help me now." 

A faint smile coming to his lips, Nelras says, "Let us compare notes, as you say, and find a way to resolve this...situation." 

Gesturing to you, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "You first, if you please? I must analyse the similarities and differences." 

Nelras says to Professor Nann Baruwski, "The Resonance Tower, it had affected the Voice somehow. The Song the Voice sang was discordant. I believe that He was in pain. The Symphonium gathered there, what few of us there were, and tried to find a solution." 

Nelras pauses, glancing down quickly before returning his attention to Professor Nann Baruwski. 

Pondering then speaking slowly as demonstration, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Consider, Opus, think... hrm, think upon a genius you know. One who has extreme expertise and mastery in a given field. Hold him, or her, in your mind. And describe me their field of expertise? Or perhaps a master artist and his or her medium?" 

Frowning, Nelras says, "It...is difficult, to do so upon request like that. And made all the more difficult by the constant reports of things happening elsewhere. My apologies, let me try..." 

Nelras says to Professor Nann Baruwski, "Would it matter for this what field this genius has mastered, or is your point simply the impossibility of capturing every detail of such expertise when I lack it for myself?" 

Nelras says, "Professor?" 

Kindly, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Simply a point of expertise, it may be any field." 

Professor Nann Baruwski says, "One you understand the passion for, would be most suitable though." 

An unearthly chanting echoes from the dread city of Magnagora, the low hum gaining in intensity until it blocks out all other senses and leaves shuddering afterimages swiming in your vision. 

Nelras says, "I have chosen someone, someone I admire greatly and yet could never hope to come even close to." 

Patiently with a small smile, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "And what is their field of expertise?" 

Nelras winces in pain at the intensity of the noise coming from Magnagora. 

The ground trembles underfoot as the ritual within the dark belly of the Necropolis resounds across the entire First World, the entire city of Magnagora thrumming with raw power. 

Nelras says, "It is not so much their field, even though I suppose...No, it is instead the ease with which they work. I take it you are aware of the teachings of the Lady Isune, to some extent at least? There is someone who..." 

The latent thrumming of energy reaches a tipping point as blasts of unrelenting power burst from the depths of Magnagora, causing the air to ripple in its wake. 

Xeii tells Nelras, "Where are you, love?" 

Professor Nann Baruwski nods at you, focusing as she can upon the conversation though the dangers within Magnagora test her concentration. 

Nelras whispers, "Someone who so effortlessly exemplifies Beauty as She teaches it, every single thing they create so effortlessly and with such beauty and elegance." 

And suddenly, silence dominates the Basin. Stillness reigns and anticipation wafts through the air in thick, lingering waves as the entire First World seems to hold its breath. Waiting. 

Nelras tells Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo, "I am within the university. I am sorry, I must ask you to remain away for now, no matter how much I wish I could run to you." 

Xeii tells Nelras, "You are safe. Thank Gods...At least you are safe." 

Nelras tells Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo, "Are you safe?" 

Xeii tells Nelras, "I am unharmed, yes." 

A sense of severity and calm briefly descends upon your surroundings as Rideta shouts, "Lord Fain would be proud." 

Nelras mutters, "As if that .. . good ..ing, that the T..itor would be proud." 

A deep, booming laughter rips through the skies as the Supreme Master, Luciphage proclaims, "It is done! And now, Magnagora, I shall fulfill my end of the bargain! I bring you my Midnight Legions!" 

The crunch of bones and the squelching of organs rings through the air, as if amplified by some compassionless magic. Every heartfelt plea, each broken body can be heard as the spectres bring forth dissolution to the citizens of New Celest. 

Nelras tells Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo, "Stay strong." 

Xeii tells Nelras, "I am well. You need it more." 

Nelras tells Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo, "I must do what I am doing now, I must." 

As soon as the screaming and the laughter fades Nelras says "We must continue, Professor, we must." He mutters something harshly under his breath, before whispering, "I wish there was more I could do, but I must do this at least." 

Nelras tells Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo, "I need to know how bad the damage was. Do you know anyone who lives there, who might tell you? Whatever you do, stay away from there." 

Nelras says, "Professor. We must continue." 

Xeii tells Nelras, "There are no Celestians that I know awake currently, but......" 

Nelras tells Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo, "But...?" 

Xeii tells Nelras, "I am becoming worried about the city myself." 

Xeii has been slain by the Bulwark of Souls. 
You see the death occur at the Great North Gate of Tridacna. (1159) 
From your knowledge, that room is in City of New Celest. 

Nelras tells Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo, "No!" 

Nelras mutters discontentedly. 

(Anonymous): Nelras says, "Teleport target. Celest. NOW!" 

Nelras runs from the University, abandoning the professor without even a word. 

Cassander tells Nelras, "To me." 

Nelras mutters, "I .... to stay away." 

<Nelras teleports to Celest>

Near the Great North Gate on lower Tridacna. (road). 
The rushing churn of angry waves heralds the presence of a war shrine of Carakhan nearby. This location is flooded with shallow, crystal clear water. One or two light fluffy clouds drift lazily through the sky. A statue of Owais stands here, memorialising his noble spirit. There are 6 wights here. Wildeflower Aramel Shevat stands here, enrobed in an array of swirling, autumnal leaves. She wields a golden whip of the pious in her left hand and a worn lute in her right. She is surrounded by four pale ancestral spirits. Jingling and jangling, a playful jester cavorts about your surroundings. Sir Cassander Ladyn, Hope's Defender is here, shrouded. He wields a golden whip of the pious in his left hand and a crystal-inlaid greatshield in his right. Emitting a fiery, dawn-cast radiance, a proud knight emblazoned with the crest of the White Falcons keeps solemn guard here. 
You see exits leading southeast and northwest. 

Nelras says to Aramel, "Where..." 

Wildeflower Aramel Shevat says to Falaeron, "You have her corpse." 

Professor Nann Baruwski tells Nelras, "Apologies, events are most upsetting as of now. We shall return to our conversation again, when you are ready." 

Sir Cassander Ladyn, Hope's Defender says, "I'll take it." 

Falaeron leans over Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo and cradles her broken body in his arms. A radiant halo of warm, celestial light envelops Falaeron as he whispers something in a warm, welcoming voice. 
With a choking sound, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo gasps violently as she inhales, struggling to breathe once more. 

Nelras says, "Xeii. You must return to the city. Now. You cannot be here." 

Xeii lowers her head. Silently, she takes her mandala in her hands and closes her eyes. 

Xeii takes the Quintessential Mandala of Resplendent Harmony in both hands and bows her head. Swirling ribbons of colour race outwards from the mandala, wrapping about Xeii as she begins to break down into an infinite number of small, fractal shapes before flaring outwards in a fractal swirl, dissipating into the air. 

<Nelras hurries back to the university, eager to continue his conversation with Nann.>

Nelras says, "Professor..." 

Nodding, shuddering involuntarily at all she experienced, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Apologies for my inattention, Opus." 

Somewhat more harshly than he might intend, Nelras says, "We must continue, now that you are able to." 

Professor Nann Baruwski says, "So the one you have chosen, who so exemplifies Beauty. How do you think he or she would react were their creations destroyed by inept and malicious hands in comparison?" 

Nelras says to Professor Nann Baruwski, "I cannot imagine that person reacting violently, or in any such way. But something tells me that their revenge would come none the less." 

Instructing carefully, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Do you think your example might feel 'pained' at the loss? An emotional wrenching? Perhaps... grief, sorrow, frustration at their own masterpieces sullied by lesser individuals that destroyed them?" 

Interjecting with a small smile, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Of course, no proper Hallifaxian would let on, but the emotions, we still have them." 

Understanding starting to dawn on his face, Nelras says, "Yes, I do think that." 

Concluding her example, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Amplify this by divine measures and thus the torment of Lord Crys may be understood, even if only in our small mortal ways." 

Nelras whispers, "If that is the pain He feels, then..." 

His resolve returning, Nelras says, "We must still find a way to convince Him to leave. He cannot remain with her any longer than He must. I have seen how he takes over, how he tries to change someone. That cannot happen." 

Sifting through her notes again and refers to the memory crystal on occasion, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Indeed. No mortal was meant to host any essence of piece of an Elder forever. Our flesh bodies cannot allow it. Lord Crys was a master of crystalline sound, thus the gem housed His Voice quite well prior." 

Nelras says to Professor Nann Baruwski, "Then He rested within the Symphonium guild hall, surrounded by the crystals there. All I have found so far is how He agreed to be there, how the Crescendo was used to convince Him that Hallifax was worthy. I do not know if something like that would work again though." 

Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Mmhmm, ah, say now, the Voice's new vessel... is it, a shard of Xyl?" 

Nelras says "It is, yes. It is..." His voice trails off, leaving the rest of the sentence unsaid. 

Comprehension flashes across Professor Nann Baruwski's face. 

Nelras tells Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo, "Hello." 

Xeii tells Nelras, "Ce...Nelras...is all...well?" 

"That may make a difference..." Professor Nann Baruwski murmurs to herself, tapping her notes with a finger gently. "Lord Crys and Lord Xyl are siblings, the affinities run quite deep... you... ah... do realise?" 

Nelras tells Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo, "I am Nelras, I am the one who is here... Remain with me, Xeii." 

Muttering half to himself, Nelras says, "I realise. I realise all too strongly." 

Nelras says to Professor Nann Baruwski, "I must leave, and return shortly. There is something I must do, if this is to be..." 

Quietly, Nelras says, "Please, understand." 

<Frantically, Nelras tries to find Xeii, and warn her of the danger>

Grand Foyer of the Hallifaxian Opera House. Banks of clouds roil about here. A crystalline milestone is tastefully displayed here upon a rounded pedestal. Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo is here. She wields a baroque violin of antique silver and pearl inlay in her left hand. 

Nelras whispers, "Xeii. I am here." 

Xeii clutches at her own throat, her pain phantom yet hauntingly real. 

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Lady...Jilai..." 

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "Where are you?" 

Aramel tells Nelras, "What has happened?" 

Xeii staggers, pressing her hands to her ears. 

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "There is no time. You need to take Xeii, somewhere where she will be strong. Somewhere away from Hallifax, away from the crystals." 

Aramel tells Nelras, "I will come." 

The sweet scent of cherry blossoms wafts through the air as a cavalcade of ivory petals heralds the entrance of Aramel. 

Aramel peers about herself unscrupulously. 

Nelras turns to Aramel as soon as she arrives. "You must, I am sorry. I must return to the professor, find...something." 

Nelras folds his wings around Xeii's body, wrapping her in a feathered embrace.

Nelras whispers to Xeii, "Leave here, and be strong. Be yourself, and know that I will come to you."

Aramel looks to Nelras, his urgency infecting her. "It was not like this last month," she says.

Whatever is paining Xeii seems to have lessened in intensity, or so it appears. She nevertheless steadies herself in Nelras's embrace, nodding silently.

Muttering, Nelras says, "Since...what happened in Celest. I knew she should have stayed away..."

Unsteadily, Xeii steps away, walking as if entranced.

Xeii leaves to the down.

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "Are you with her?"

Aramel tells Nelras, "Yes."

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "I am trying to find anything that might help."

<Nelras returns to the university once more>

Hurriedly, Nelras says to Professor Nann Baruwski, "We must find something. There must be something." 

Studying her notes then recalling something, Professor Nann Baruwski exclaims, "Did you know how the Voice came to be with me? And the means by which they called It forth? Talk has no effect, you cannot reason with a Voice, there is no mind!" 

Nelras says, "How it came to be with you, I do not recall in detail. I know a little, but not enough. As for how He left you, I know that at least." 

A touch of chagrin reaches her lips, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Let us compare, what do you know of how It left?" 

Nelras says, "I am told, by those who were there, that there was a song. The Collectivist Crescendo, which so demonstrated the Harmony that He cares for that He agreed to aid the Symphonium. I am told that it was selected from many songs." 

Nelras whispers, "I...have found it difficult, to find any who know more." 

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "Is she..." 

Aramel tells Nelras, "We are outside the city. She is speaking to herself - or to whatever lives inside her." 

Professor Nann Baruwski nods satisfactorily, "Yes and no. A masterful song, worthy of the crystals He is so attuned to. We are Hallifax, this is our expertise. Working with the same crystals the Lord Himself favoured for His Song." 

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "Is it her speaking? Do we at least have that in our favour?" 

Aramel tells Nelras, "Yes." 

Aramel tells Nelras, "...and now it's not." 

Nelras listens expectantly, waiting for Professor Nann Baruwski to continue. When she does not immediately do so, Nelras says "Yes, and no? What else, then. What else do we need?" 

Lifting her notes and pointing at some exact scribblings, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "See here, the gap. I was working with my own instruments here, conducting a study with sound and oscillations. Something malfunctioned, perhaps back-fired? I heard what I expected, then a sudden sparking, very strange that. It was inundated with a power surge... hmm... yes... perhaps a dampener next time..."

Professor Nann Baruwski momentarily gets lost in her own notes and theories.  

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "Please, tell me she will be strong. Tell me she will not be lost to Him." 

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "I wish I could be there, but I must not." 

Aramel tells Nelras, "I do not understand at all what has happened." 

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "When Xeii was killed, it brought Him back. We were warned that He might, if someone tried to kill her..." 

Aramel tells Nelras, "And does your presence make it worse?" 

Nelras says to Professor Nann Baruwski, "I am sorry, I hardly know what you are attempting to show me there." 

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "I am speaking to the only other person I can find who has...been in that situation. I am trying to find a way to make Him leave." 

Broken from her reverie and theories, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Wh-what? Oh, right. Uhm, yes! I was experimenting with sound waves, then, suddenly I was surrounded by a crowd of folks telling me how crazy I was behaving. Unsettling, but I apologised immensely for my experiment failing." 

Raising a hand again at her notes, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Of course, it did more than fail, it attracted the Voice to us. See, look, look around here. I use crystals in all my sound experiments." 

Even as he looks around as instructed, Nelras says, "Yes, of course. Now, that is how the Voice was attracted. How do we make Him leave again?" 

Plainly, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "A song." 

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "Please, tell me if anything changes. Anything." 

With a warning, Professor Nann Baruwski exclaims, "But not just any old song!" 

Flatly, Nelras says, "Of course not." 

Professor Nann Baruwski says, "The one used before, as I said, was an exquisite masterpiece joining Hallifax's Order and Song. That is the music Lord Crys has dominion over. The piece of the Song of Creation so orderly and exacting. Perfect." 

Nelras ponders the Professor's words, murmuring "A perfect song?" His wings droop down by his sides as he hesitantly asks, "How could we create such a thing? I assume th..that song will not work again?" 

Shrugging and setting aside her notes, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps He is bored and wishes something new? You forget... the Voice fled each time due to a war. Twice with Zenos and now with, well, ourselves? Remind It why It chose us to begin with and that the war is over." 

With a nervous laugh, Nelras says, "I suppose I have quite some work to do, then. As you so helpfully reminded me, I am the last Opus, am I not. I must do this." 

Nelras whispers to Professor Nann Baruwski, "I...never was good at composing. But I must." 

Giving a small smile, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Good luck, Opus. If it helps at all, to 'harvest' the best talent, the entire city was called to contest the last time." 

Frowning, Nelras says, "The Symphonium is small, the better talent is the one who has been taken." 

Thinking upon this revelation a moment, Professor Nann Baruwski says, "There is naught against her assisting with the composition, though I imagine it would be less of an effect for her to perform it." 

Nelras says, "Of course, yet I would not wish the Voice to know what we are doing, would I. I shall do what I can, and...if she can help then I shall seek that also." 

Nelras says to Professor Nann Baruwski, "Thank you, for your help, Professor." 

Professor Nann Baruwski says, "Quite welcome, Opus." 

Nelras bows respectfully to Professor Nann Baruwski. 

(clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Meanwhile, @Xeii has been getting visions...

-----

<While Magnagora is destroying Celest's Star...>

Xeii whispers, "The city of Taint rises again, Lord..."

A deep, booming laughter rips through the skies as the Supreme Master, Luciphage proclaims, "It is done! And now, Magnagora, I shall fulfill my end of the bargain! I bring you my Midnight Legions!"

Xeii whispers, "Should they seek Your Song, I will not yield, Lord."

Xeii tells Nelras Shevat, "I am becoming worried about the city myself."

<Xeii goes to Celest, promptly dies to wights>

Nelras tells Xeii, "No!"

(Anonymous): Nelras says, "Teleport target. Celest. NOW!"

Falaeron leans over Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo and cradles her broken body in his arms. A radiant halo of warm, celestial light envelops Falaeron as he whispers something in a warm, welcoming voice.
    With a choking sound, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo gasps violently as she inhales, struggling to breathe once more.

Nelras Shevat says, "Xeii. You must return to the city. Now. You cannot be here."

Xeii lowers her head. Silently, she takes her mandala in her hands and closes her eyes.

<Xeii returns to Hallifax>

Xeii tells Nelras Shevat, "I have failed. I have failed us..."

Nelras tells Xeii, "No, you have not."

Nelras tells Xeii, "You must remain safe. What if ...if He..."

Xeii tells Nelras Shevat, "I know not if He remains...if He has returned..."

Xeii tells Nelras Shevat, "Have I lost the Song...?"

Nelras tells Xeii, "No, I worry what He might do, if you are in danger."

A vision of magnitude forces itself upon your mind, a memory of old leaking through. Crystals surrounding you like a massive chamber, perhaps a prison? No... no... you look upon them fondly. They are your... friends.

Xeii tells Nelras Shevat, "I have...I have failed..."

Nelras tells Xeii, "You have not failed."

Xeii tells Nelras Shevat, "Wait..."

Xeii tells Nelras Shevat, "What are these...do you see?"

Nelras tells Xeii, "What are...what?"

Xeii tells Nelras Shevat, "Crystals......"

Nelras tells Xeii, "What crystals? Where?"

Xeii tells Nelras Shevat, "I...A memory, I see...crystals around me."

<Xeii stumbles to the old Symphonium guildhall>

An ornate golden doorknob will not budge beneath your touch.

Xeii whispers, "Forgive me, Lord..."

A harsh crystalline hissing whispers in your ear, "Do not risk yourself so rashly My Instrument. We will not let them take us again..."

Nelras tells Xeii, "Remain strong, my love. Remain with us, and remember where you are."

Xeii whispers, "Forgive this weak Instrument."

Xeii tells Nelras Shevat, "He is...here. He has not left me. He is safe."

Xeii covers her face with her hands as she slides down the ornate walls and sinks to the floor. Her breath slows gradually, eyes remaining closed as if to grasp at the memory of the Voice's.

Nelras tells Xeii, "You must be safe also."

Coalescing into view, your surroundings shift and change like a haze. You are in your room, no, this is not your room it is hers. The missive in her hand is held loosely, tears stain your face as your heart thumps harder, quicker, panic wells in your chest. Betrayed.

Nelras tells Xeii, "If He tries anything, I suggest someone takes you to the fulcrux of the Welkin..."

Xeii whispers, "Lady..."

The sound of buffeting wings is briefly audible.

You're fleeing, running, your heart beats fast as the gem upon your chest thumps back just as hard from the exertion. The door, reach the door! Lock it, this is our safe haven, we are home and we will be safe. They said so, right? 'Protective custody' they called it...

Xeii whispers, "Why this memory, of all......No, whatever has happened...it must not happen again!"

Xeii lurches to her feet, beginning to pace, hands at her temples.

Xeii mutters, "Safe...safe...w.... would be ...., all know no city can ...r be indestr....ble..."

Xeii pauses in her pacing, straining as if to see, or hear.

A knock at the door, it is the right amount of taps and thuds, just like they said. They promised me Cedwyk and we could finally be together. We will be happy. Your heart lifts and lightens as it unlocks the door...

Xeii whispers, "Jilai......"

Trusted, beloved, the only face I could pick from a crowd of hundreds while on stage. The man who entered shimmered, his Cedwyk illusion finally falling away. Their similarities were undeniable, but had he ever shown this face, she would have known immediately. 'Where is Cedwyk!?' the sound was high and shrill, my panic, I am panicking again like never before.

Xeii's hand rises to rest lightly at her throat. Her eyes remain tightly shut, her body taut as if to restrain herself from breaking into a run.

Nelras tells Xeii, "Hello."

Xeii tells Nelras Shevat, "Ce...Nelras...is all...well?"

Nelras tells Xeii, "I am Nelras, I am the one who is here...Remain with me, Xeii."

A single, crystal clear note pierces the air as several wisps of silvery light drift in from the down, coalescing into the form of Nelras.

Nelras Shevat whispers, "Xeii. I am here."

Xeii clutches at her own throat, her pain phantom yet hauntingly real.

Xeii says, "Lady...Jilai..."

'NO! YOU CANNOT HAVE HER!' a crystalline voice cries, nearly deafening you.

Xeii staggers, pressing her hands to her ears.

Nelras jerks slightly as the air fills with sparkling motes of bright light.

The sweet scent of cherry blossoms wafts through the air as a cavalcade of ivory petals heralds the entrance of Aramel.

Your vision swims in a dizzying manner, from the Voice a perspective of what It has done, from Jilai from what she experienced, and your own perspective playing the spectator.

Aramel peers about herself unscrupulously.

Nelras turns to Aramel as soon as she arrives. "You must, I am sorry. I must return to the professor, find...something."

Nelras folds his wings around Xeii's body, wrapping her in a feathered embrace.

Nelras Shevat whispers to Xeii, "Leave here, and be strong. Be yourself, and know that I will come to you."

Aramel looks to Nelras, his urgency infecting her. "It was not like this last month," she says.

Whatever is paining Xeii seems to have lessened in intensity, or so it appears. She nevertheless steadies herself in Nelras's embrace, nodding silently.

Muttering, Nelras Shevat says, "Since...what happened in Celest. I knew she should have stayed away..."

Unsteadily, Xeii steps away, walking as if entranced.

<Xeii staggers through Hallifax as if in a dream, frantically pursued by her mother.>

Spinning pink cherry blossom petals swirl in from the southwest, dancing playfully in joyous anticipation as Aramel emerges from their midst.

Wildeflower Aramel Shevat says, "Xeii!"

Juggling several points of view at once, you feel yourself as the Voice pulling Jilai's soul out of harm's way, killing her in the process but saving her consciousness from harm. Panicked, but safe, you see your attacker pulling away from you as a harsh crystalline blanket wraps around your entire body. The action of all has a massive backlash effect, killing the Illuminati and disintegrating Jilai's body in the process.

Aramel reaches out and places a hand on Xeii's shoulder, halting her. "Come with me," she says.

Breathing softly, Xeii nods but refuses to move. "Where..."

Disembodied, but together, the Voice recedes deep within the gem and holds close to His Jilai, His Instrument, My Instrument. A mortal soul and a divine Voice, nestled safe together away from the ineptitudes and degredations of mortalkind.

Aramel says, soothingly, "Somewhere quiet, somewhere peaceful. Perhaps Clarramo--" she cuts herself off. "Not Clarramore. Let us go to Irshaw, where there is a high mountain and a small garden there."

"The gem, where did the gem..." Xeii murmurs to herself, trying to orient herself within the storm of memories whirling through her mind. The word 'Clarramore' pulls her from her thoughts, and she listens to Aramel's words to the end, nodding her consent as she steps in line behind her.

<Xeii and Aramel go to Irshaw, beside a placid mountain lake.>

A field overlooking raspberries.
    Banks of clouds roil about here. It is uncomfortably cold. Vivid wildflowers dot the grasses of this wide field, forming a scattered splash of reds and oranges against the background of green. A narrow stream cuts through the wildflowers, leaping down over the edge of a mild bluff at the end of the field, beyond which an extended patch of wild raspberries can be seen. A tart fragrance drifts up from below, mixing with the mild sweetness of the wildflowers and an icy breeze from the mountains. Here and there rest tiny piles of droppings, left by some small creature of the land.
    You see exits leading east, south, southwest, and down.

Nelras tells Wildeflower Aramel Shevat, "Is she..." 

Aramel tells Nelras, "We are outside the city. She is speaking to herself - or to whatever lives inside her." 

Xeii whispers, "Lord Conductor...Lady...Here there will be few chances of what...what my brashness has brought."

Nelras tells Aramel, "Is it her speaking? Do we at least have that in our favour?"

Aramel tells Nelras Shevat, "Yes."

Xeii slowly lowers herself onto the earth, lying still upon the grass. The sound of nighttime insects fall over the area as a warm blanket, but she does not seem to be drawing comfort from it specifically.

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Do not fail us. We warned her, mortal folly. What did she gain? I am still safe, am I not? Mine, together, yes."

Aramel tells Nelras Shevat, "...and now it's not."

Smiling faintly, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "What have I gained? Something more precious than crowns or rare stones..."

Aramel stares at Xeii. Speaking to the cold presence within her, she says, "You said not a month ago that you would not touch her mind."

Xeii whispers, "Memories...Things no material items can outshine, in our minds..." She pauses, adding, "Unless You planned to show them to me even without my death prompting it, of course." Somehow there is a trace of humour detected in her voice.

Nelras tells Aramel, "Please, tell me she will be strong. Tell me she will not be lost to Him."

Coldly and dispassionately, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Show us? We do not show our memories to ourselves. We are one. How amusing."

Nelras tells Aramel, "I wish I could be there, but I must not."

Aramel tells Nelras Shevat, "I do not understand at all what has happened."

Aramel reaches out and grabs Xeii by both shoulders. Looking into her face, she says, "Xeii. What has happened? I do not understand. Last month you were yourself, and now..."

"We are one," Xeii repeats. Deep thought, not pain, clouds her eyes as she muses upon something. "Your memories...mine..."

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo whispers to Aramel, "What I could never hope to learn on my own, I see as clear as you before me......"

Nelras tells Aramel, "When Xeii was killed, it brought Him back. We were warned that He might, if someone tried to kill her..."

Urgently, Wildeflower Aramel Shevat says to Xeii, "What do you see?"

Aramel tells Falaeron Shevat, "I am in Irshaw. Come at once."

Slowly, wonderingly, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Two weaves ago, I think, He showed to me the order of His song. Such fragile beauty I never did see or hear, as long as I have lived..."

Aramel tells Nelras Shevat, "And does your presence make it worse?"

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Today, after my...mistake, He - I... relived Jilai's death......"

<Falaeron arrives, accompanied by his trusty companionable cube>

The flowing melody of the emerald grazioso soothes your body and spirit, leaving you hale and invigorated.
    The lively tones of Falaeron's music brighten your mind.

Xeii turns her head lowly at the familiar verses floating by.

Nelras tells Aramel, "I am speaking to the only other person I can find who has... been in that situation. I am trying to find a way to make Him leave."

Smiling weakly, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Hello, Father."

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Since You are within me, fitting that You should encounter more of my family, yes?"

Xeii chuckles to herself, quietly.

Aramel settles down on the grass beside Xeii, half propping her upright. Her face is ashen with a mixture of fury and fear.

Falaeron arches an eyebrow at Aramel and asks, "There was urgency in your voice. What is the matter?"

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Family is irrelevant. We have seen war waged within families."

Turning her head towards Falaeron, Aramel looks momentarily lost for words. "The matter," she repeats, dumbfounded. "What is the -" In disbelief, she looks towards Xeii, and then back up. "The matter is that our daughter has been possessed by that - by that -" Her words fail her.

Nelras tells Aramel, "Please, tell me if anything changes. Anything."

Apparently detached from the goings on around her and continuing to address the unseen within her, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Not in mine. At least, no permanent conflict, if there ever is any."

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Then We will allow their presence."

With a little smirk of her own, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "I thank You, Lord."

"Yes, she has been possessed by Lord Crys," Falaeron re-iterates, his expression calm. He glances at Xeii briefly, listening to the conversation she is having with the foreign Voice. Gently, he says to Aramel, "You needn't worry as much as you are. Do you trust our daughter?"

Xeii reaches out a hand toward the skies, connecting the stars as if to make an ordered map from nothing but her senses alone.

Whatever picture she has tried to connect fades with the coming of the light, and Xeii's hand seems to wither slightly as she returns it to her side.

Aramel stares at Falaeron and at his unruffled manner. She gently disentangles herself from Xeii and stands up. "It is not her that I do not trust," she says, her voice sounding choked. She pauses for a moment, her gaze distant as if recalling a past conversation. Then she takes a step forward towards Falaeron and says, very softly, "You knew. When it happened in early Kiani, you knew."

Shuffling its cuboids around contemplatively, a companionable cube emits a little beeping ditty, quite musical and catchy. As the cuboids settle into place and reveal a rosy heart on each side, the cube chirps in an ominous, discordant tone, "STILL ALIVE."

Smiling faintly to herself, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo whispers, "Still alive."

Using a voice and frequency not her own, Xeii sings a soft, lilting aria in soprano to herself, a lulling melody full of soothing high melodies.

Xeii blinks briefly as if unused to such a high voice coming from herself, but soon settles and begins to focus on the music.

Falaeron nods his head simply at Aramel and confirms in an unshaken voice, "Of course I knew. Many things have happened in the last few months and it was my duty to know." He steps toward Aramel with unusual caution. "There was no need for another source of concern to be added to all of the problems you faced closer to home." He looks past Aramel toward Xeii as she sings her melody. "Xeii has a choice to make," he says, before adding in a whisper, "I am sure she will choose the correct path."

Invisible, sweet-smelling wings buffet the air as Nelras steps forth, smiling softly.

Something in Xeii seems to stir at Nelras's arrival, and she sits up, slowly.

Nelras turns his attention straight to Xeii as he arrives. His gaze lingers for a time, before he whispers "How is she?"

"Closer to home," Aramel repeats blankly, seeming not to notice Nelras's entrance. "Closer to home than this? What could be closer to home than -our daughter getting possessed-?" Her voice, unbeknownst to herself, has escalated; nearby, a bevy of birds on the lake takes flight in startlement.

Nelras takes a seat on the ground, not far from Xeii. Seemingly unperturbed by Aramel, he begins to scribble something in a shimmering crystalline notepad.

"Safe here," Xeii repeats in her own voice, though a trace of conflict enters it as she gazes upon Nelras.

Nelras abandons the notepad for a moment, instead pulling books and scrolls alike from a parafilament wallet. Most of these, he discards just as quickly.

Nelras searches ever more desperately amongst the discarded books, muttering "Where is it?" Suddenly, he returns everything save the notepad to the wallet from which he had pulled them. Uncertainly, he shakes his head, before glancing at Xeii once more. "No, I must, even without it."

His gaze unrevealing, Falaeron says, "And if your forest had burned down because you were told that Xeii had become host to Lord Crys?" His voice is gentle, yet unwavering. "Xeii has found herself in the same position as Jilai Clarramore all those years ago." He looks to Xeii again as if to muster further confidence. "His Voice is resonant yet frightening. Lady Clarramore made her choice, for right or for wrong. Her own voice become perfection, but she lost herself." He pauses and takes a deep breath, absorbing the otherwise calmness of the field. He looks Aramel in the eyes again and resolutely confirms, "I trust that our daughter has the strength to resist and remain Xeii Shevat."

Nelras returns to scribbling in his notepad, glancing up at Xeii every so often with an increasingly worried expression.

Nelras glances up suddenly at Falaeron. "Falaeron," he asks, "Please could you fetch me something from the city?"

After a moment, Aramel says to Falaeron, rather ruthlessly, "Very logical. Very efficient." Her voice, which by now has faded once more to a heated whisper, makes it clear that it is not a compliment. "And if you were wrong, would you have denied me a chance to see Xeii before her mind succumbs?" She turns her face away for a moment, her breathing ragged, the silence stretching in the valley. After a while, in a small voice, she says, "I do not know what to do."

As if only suddenly aware of the discussion taking place around him, Nelras weakly suggests "Shall I ask someone else to fetch it?"

Jilai's song having long since faded, Xeii finally turns her attentions back to matters at hand. She blinks at Nelras as if just hearing him and begins to get to her feet.

Softly, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo asks Nelras, "What do you require?"

Nelras turns his attention swiftly to Xeii, softly whispering "I require that you are strong, my love. I require that you are...you."

Apparently ignorant of Nelras's request, Falaeron creases his brow into a frown. "You need to trust Xeii," he insists in a quiet but adamant voice. "You also need to relax and worry less. I know that things have been happening in the Serenwilde too and that they must have taken a toll on you." He takes a few more cautious steps forward and reaches out to take Aramel's hand. "You also need to trust me," he says, even softer now.

With another glance at Xeii, Nelras stands and walks a short distance away.

A single, crystal clear note chimes through the air as Nelras dissolves into wisps of silvery light that drift off to the south.

About to lift her hand, Xeii lets it fall as the trill leaves the vicinity, instead gazing wearily at her parents.

A single, crystal clear note pierces the air as several wisps of silvery light drift in from the south, coalescing into the form of Nelras.

Nelras returns to where he was sitting a moment ago, alternating between flipping hurriedly through a little purple book and writing on his notepad.

Aramel looks down, her gaze fixed on the grass beneath her feet. "I trust in the choice she would make," she says at last, her voice quiet. "I fear for if she cannot." A wry, tired smile crosses her face, though there is precious little humour in it. "Under the circumstances," she whispers, "Perhaps telling me to relax is futile." Nevertheless, her fingers tighten around Falaeron's, as if seeking reassurance.

Xeii closes her eyes, feeling the wind swirl about her and loosing a soft, toneless sigh. She lets a hand rest at her throat, a faint smile appearing on her face.

Nelras hurriedly scribbles in his notepad, frustration clear on his face as he tears away the pages to begin anew.

"If we spend all of our energy fearing for what may come we would have none left to appreciate what we have," Falaeron murmurs into the night. He looks over to Xeii and on seeing her response, his lips curve into a smile of his own. Turning back to Aramel, he suggests, "Treasure these moments." He nods once at Aramel, as if to reassure her.

Aramel shakes her head ruefully at Falaeron. "We need to work on defining 'reassurance,'" she murmurs, though she seems less distraught than before. Nelras's agitated movements catch her attention, and she takes a few steps towards him. "What writing are you busying yourself with at this time?" she asks.

Xeii falls back upon the grass, eyes sliding closed even as the sun slowly inches its way up the horizon.

Softly, tiredly, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "It has been......too long. You have been kept......far too long."

Abandoning the notebook, Nelras stands and walks over to Xeii. With a soft smile, he gazes down at her, whispering "Xeii, my love? Are you..."

Though slipping in and out of sleep, Xeii nevertheless reaches out to hold onto Nelras's hand. "Well and safe, Nelras. Well and safe...for now."

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo whispers, "Please...worry not for me. I have faith...all will be set to rights, whatever that might be..."

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Whatever happens, I will stay myself. Whatever happens, I will have played my part."

Falaeron smiles broadly at Xeii. "I am sure you will be able to do this, Xeii," he says with renewed confidence.

Aramel sighs heavily, the previous thread of her thought forgotten. She rests a hand on Xeii's cool crystal forehead briefly. "You've done well," she whispers. "So well." To Nelras, she says, "Will she be safe, if you take her back to the city? You mentioned something about gems making it worse."

Turning his head back to Aramel, yet not releasing Xeii's hand, Nelras says "I do not know. She said that she saw crystals..."

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo whispers, "No longer. The war has ended."

Nelras Shevat whispers, "Xeii...How did you..."

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo whispers, "No more discordance."

A cloud of gnats surrounds you for a moment before moving on.

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo whispers to Nelras, "Yes...?"

With a quick glance towards the discarded notepad, Nelras Shevat says to Xeii, "Do not worry about it, love."

Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo whispers, "Take me back, Nelras...somewhere the sun will not reach...where I may rest, where the Lord and Lady may rest."

Nelras Shevat says, "As you wish, my love."

"Perhaps it will be all right, then," Aramel says. Her lips thin into a line at the mention of Crys and Jilai, but she says nothing. To Nelras, she says at last, "Take care of her."

Xeii leaves, following Nelras Shevat.
    Nelras is consumed in a flurry of sweet-smelling wings.

Invisible, sweet-smelling wings buffet the air as Nelras steps forth, smiling softly.

Nelras Shevat says to Aramel, "She is resting, for now."

Aramel exhales, a long and fluid breath escaping her. "I fear I have not the heart to enjoy the valley," she says to Falaeron and Nelras, looking around at the landscape. "We will speak more another month, perhaps."

<Aramel leaves, but she has accidentally acquisitio'd Nelras' notepad...>

Nelras looks around increasingly more frantically, unable to find the notepad he had discarded here.

• edited April 2017
    Aftermath: a song to write

-----

<Aramel goes to Hallifax, a few days later, to return the notepad>

Auditorium of the Grand Hallifaxian Opera House.
    Banks of clouds roil about here. The sheer opulence of this grand auditorium is stupefying, gold and crystal alternating and mingling together in carefully designed harmony to create an image of architecture and engineering unrivalled anywhere else in the world. A large stage fills one entire wall of the grand hall, in clear sight of any of the countless seats that fill the floor and four ornate layers of balconies. Sparsely placed arching pillars support the balconies as they climb toward the top, transforming into delicate statues of female trill whose widespread wings give off the illusion of supporting the ceiling above. The central dome of the ceiling is covered in detailed paintings of soaring trill and billowing cloud formations, the rounded shape providing a sensation of depth as well as completing the acoustic superiority of the auditorium. All of this is basked in the warm, soft light spread by countless strategically placed crystal orbs which add to the harmonic atmosphere and complete the pleasure that is experienced by many who witness the productions in this auditorium. Soaring to a majestic height, a harmonious stage of crystal and gold stands here. Nelras Shevat stands here, surrounded in an aura of ghostly, flickering wings. He wields an aesthetic viola of aurora borealis crystal in his left hand.
    You see a single exit leading northeast.

Barely turning as Aramel approaches, Nelras Shevat says, "Have you come to return my notepad?"

Looking startled at Nelras's pre-emptive remark, Aramel says, "Yes. I saw you scribbling on it, in Irshaw. You looked quite engrossed in it." She raises one eyebrow, as if inviting comment.

Nelras turns to face Aramel fully, smiling faintly as he says, "It may be possible to convince Him to leave. It has happened before, and He was drawn out with a song. The Collectivist Crescendo, if you have heard of it."

Aramel shakes her head. "I have not," she says. "Though I am sure it would be a work of great technical complexity." Her hand hovers idly over her lute, but her gaze is intent on Nelras. "What happened last time?"

Quietly, Nelras Shevat says, "It was a work of great harmony, and it is that harmony that drew the Voice out. He had been using one of the Professors in the University, that is who I had been speaking with."

Nelras Shevat says, "So impressed was He by the harmony shown that He agreed to aid Hallifax, to aid the Symphonium."

Aramel cannot hide the sudden, sharp lift of her head, or the look of hope that crosses her face. "And so you seek... a song," she says. "To find one, or to create one?"

Nelras pauses, the smile gone completely from his face as he says "The latter, although you have seen my efforts to date." His wings droop down by his sides and he whispers "I know what I should sing, what should work, but the words...the words ring hollow, somehow."

<READ NOTEPAD>
    (Page 4)
    Come now, oh Hallifax, the war is won,
    No need to fight and no need to run.
    From servents to artists, return to your tasks
    Arrayed in perfect order, the Collective asks
    Only for harmony, and beauty, and perfection in song.

Aramel glances down at the notepad in her hands, a frown on her face. She holds it at arm's length, scanning it critically with a librarian's detached assessment. "Mm," she says, noncommittal, though it is clear that she agrees with Nelras's assessment. "I see. A great work of harmony..." Tilting her head at Nelras, she asks, "What, precisely, do your people believe harmony to be?"

Nelras Shevat says to you, "Harmony would be everything working as one. Everyone working as one, each person having their place within the Collective, with nothing to disrupt that."

A small, wry smile plays around Aramel's lips, as if she has heard this answer, or something very much like it, before. "What of the erstwhile Symphonium?" she asks. "What did they teach?"

Nelras gazes past Aramel, as if looking for something. Softly, he answers, "They teach us of the Higher Emotions, of Truth and Beauty, Honour, Love and Altruism."

Aramel nods at Nelras. She sits down next to him, in one of the plush seats of the auditorium, balancing the notepad on the armrest between them. Lightly, she says, "For a man who is writing a song to rescue his wife from the loss of her mind, your song is... remarkably public-spirited."

Nelras turns to face Aramel with a whispered apology. "I..." he starts, "I am trying to capture that same harmony which worked before." He looks away again and murmurs "Do you think it would work...," his voice trailing off into nothingness.

Aramel regards Nelras and his hesitation with a soft expression. "Well," she says, after a moment, "It depends on who you are trying to persuade with the song, doesn't it? Your song speaks of duty, and servants, and artists." She pauses a moment, looking pensively at the dark and empty stage. "Xeii already believes that her duty is to host this Lord Crys and Lady Jilai," she murmurs at last, fixing Nelras with her gaze. "What are you trying to convince her of?"

Nelras blinks, muttering sharply under his breath. "I was trying to convince Lord Crys, to convince him that He should leave her." He exhales quietly before looking away. "I had not thought of that," he admits.

A cold, monotone voice speaks from your surroundings: 'Warning. Warning. Warning. Sudden surge of power into the emerald petal has caused an unexpected reaction. Dangerous and aggressive manifestations have begun to take form within the Transphenortex Grid. All citizens are to proceed with caution until the Code Two situation has passed.'

Aramel leans forward, poring over the notepad once more, shaking her head in exasperation at the cold monotone voice. "Well, if this Lord Crys wants harmony, then he must have harmony," she says. "But it shall be a harmony of your devising, and not his." She scans the few short lines upon the paper. "'Everything working as one, each person having their place,'" she says, echoing Nelras's earlier words. "I have heard that before. And I will ask you what I asked then, too - what makes such a life desirable?"

Without hesitation, Nelras Shevat says to Aramel, "That is not so difficult to answer. If each of us has our place and does what we are best able to, then we each support the Collective. In return, the Collective supports all of us and we are able to focus upon our own improvement without having to worry about those around us."

Aramel gives a sigh. "That is a very Hallifaxian answer," she informs Nelras ruefully. "And yet you were not born in Hallifax, so you have no excuse for it." Shaking her head, she says softly, "I am an outsider to your ways, but consider: if service to a greater cause is to have meaning, the cause must be worthy." She leans back in her seat. "What is to make it worthy? You have said it yourself - truth, beauty, honour, altruism, love."

Aramel glances back down at the notepad. "Honour and altruism are here," she says, her finger pointing at the line about servants and artists. "Truth too, I suppose, if you are one of those that believe order to be truth. Beauty of a sort, when you speak of the perfection of song." She looks back up at Nelras, a faint smile on her lips. "You are missing one," she says.

"I am aware," Nelras says, "Yet I do not believe that it would ever sway the Lord of Crystalline Song." He gives a quiet sigh, before continuing, "Do you believe that talk of love would convince Him, He who did not even shed a tear on the night when Jilai was betrayed. And yet..." Nelras glances down at the band of marble and gold upon his hand, "and yet, love is why I must do this."

Quietly, Aramel says, "If He does not understand, then so much the worse for Him." With a wry twist of her mouth, she adds, "If He chooses to possess a mortal vessel and join with her, He cannot complain when our songs are directed to those ears too. He may not hear. But she will." She tilts her head back, looking at the painted dome of the ceiling high above, frescoed with images of soaring wings. "The swan returning to its nesting mate," she murmurs. "Loving and beloved, where it belongs... Everything in its proper place."

Nelras's eyes follow Aramel's as they alight upon the fresco which adorns the roof of the auditorium. For a good while he sits there, giving no indication that he has heard what was said. Eventually, he whispers, "Everything in its proper place, yes. I must sing, to that cold, unfeeling Lord, but also to Xeii." A hopeful smile comes to his face. "I shall sing, both of the harmony of the Collective, and of the h..." He glances down at his hand once more, unable to continue.

Aramel smiles a fond, exasperated smile at Nelras's sudden silence. "It's all right," she says. "I am not the one such things must be said to." Flipping the notepad closed once more, she hands it to Nelras. "Go write," she urges. "And when you are ready - do not forget to let us know."

Aramel gives a shimmering crystalline notepad to Nelras Shevat.

Nelras stands to his feet, clutching the notepad tightly in his hand as he says "Thank you," before turning to leave.

Aramel nods. "Be well," she says.

A single, crystal clear note chimes through the air as Nelras dissolves into wisps of silvery light that drift off to the northeast.

• edited April 2017
    Bonus: OOC blooper reel!

---
    Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Family is irrelevant. We have seen war waged within families."

Apparently detached from the goings on around her and continuing to address the unseen within her, Xeii Shevat, Heart of the Crescendo says, "Not in mine. At least, no permanent conflict, if there ever is any."

(clan): You say, "Meanwhile, proving Xeii wrong in 3... 2... 1..."
    (clan): Xeii says, "D:."
    (clan): You say, "(It's D: time!)"
    (clan): You say, "D:."

With a cheery wave, Tomaz wanders blithely eastward.

(clan): Xeii says, "Perfect, even possible witness Tomaz has left the area."

---

(clan): You say, "I feel like everyone is way too calm about this :P."
    (clan): Nelras says, "Nelras isn't."
    (clan): You say, "Except Nelras."

---

A cloud of gnats surrounds you for a moment before moving on.

(clan): Xeii says, "...the gnats will NOT be joining our logs."
    (clan): Ianir says, "The gnats have feelings too, Xeii. Don't bully them with exclusion."
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    What an exciting log and masterful writing on all parts. Thank you for sharing this with everyone. Really a great read. Can't wait to see what happens next! <3
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Shaddus said:
    A harsh crystalline hissing whispers in your ear, "Do not risk yourself so rashly My Instrument. We will not let them take us again..."

Crys doesn't seem like a nice Voice :/
    According to my wonderful sources, he was literally a narcissist even when He wasn't just a Voice. So that might be why.