Swan Diary

So I'm sitting at the tailor bench, making shoes for threads and designing advancement protocols for Aerie when suddenly.

---

The distant squawking of distressed swans reaches the city, carried on a heavy breeze from the
Clarramore Cloud Gardens.

(Ad-Hoc): You say, "Is that new or did someone complete the Swan quest?"

(no response)

(movement spam)

Looking flustered, Taelo Aves, a young trill boy desperately tries to calm the squawking swan in
front of him. "C'mon, please! Dad asked you to be good!"

You ask Taelo Aves, a young trill boy, "Hrm? Is something the matter?"

You ask, "Do you need help?"

A vestal cloud swan flaps her wings madly, scuttling away from the trill's approach.

Gliding away to the southeast, a vestal cloud swan leaves no wake behind her.

Silently entering from the southeast, a vestal cloud swan glides in majestically.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy gives a pained sigh.

Warmly, an elderly trill gardener says, "Taelo, you can't just force a bird to do what you want."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy exclaims, "I know. Dad say that all the time. He says they're noble
creatures and you have to ask them. But I did ask!"

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy shuffles his feet uneasily.

An elderly trill gardener chuckles long and heartily.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says to you, "They're all being so awful."

Frowning, Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "Some of them even flew away! Dad went to try and find
them."

You ask, "So you've got some missing swans. Would you like me to help you and your father track them
down?"

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy exclaims, "Have you ever heard swans sing? It is the most beautiful
thing!"
Taelo Aves, a young trill boy sniffles softly.

Tearfully, Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "But they only sing when they die..."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy shakes his head.

Wiping away his tears, Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "Dad thinks they can sing all the time.
It would be so much better. I don't like seeing the swans die."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "He's gone to find them. He said that I...wasn't being helpful."

Kiradawea frowns, rubbing her chin thoughtfully. "I see. I'm sorry to hear that."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "They've been bad since the city got attacked, but not this bad.
I dunno what to do."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy slumps down dejectedly, settling himself on the ground next to an
elderly trill gardener.

Crouching down, an elderly trill gardener puts his hand on Taelo's shoulder. "There there, my boy,"
he murmurs, attempting to soothe Taelo's spirits.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says to an elderly trill gardener, "It's just not fair. I'm trying
really hard and they just don't do what I want like they do with dad."

As if giving sage, grandfatherly advice, an elderly trill gardener says, "It is unwise to assume
that any beast or creature would heed our whims, boy." He glances up at you, "Don't you agree?"

Kiradawea listens in silence, her face scrunched in thought. "Now why would the
swans be unruly because the city, I assume you mean Hallifax, got attacked..."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy gives a pained sigh.

Kiradawea perks up and nods her head slowly. "I agree with that."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says to you, "Yeah. Some of them were in the city when it was attacked,
 or when bad stuff was happening."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "Dad said he got called in to try and help one of the swans
there, who couldn't talk? And then it all started changing so he brought them home."

An elderly trill gardener says, "Spooked them good, it would seem."

Showing that he understands, Taelo Aves, a young trill boy nods his head slowly.

You say, "Well, I do know that the Symphonium, one of the old guilds of Hallifax, did hae a most
peculiar and intelligent swan staying with them. But I'm afraid I don't know what happened to the
swans during or after the incident."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy shrugs helplessly.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "I hope it's okay. It doesn't help me with these ones though."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "I'm not, you know, normally left alone with them."

You say, "Well, necessity is the mother of invention. I'm sure you'll figure out some way to, if not
control them, then at least calm them down. And I'll be happy to help with that."

An elderly trill gardener nods his head at you.

An elderly trill gardener says, "And I will too, aye."

Still crouching, an elderly trill gardener places both hands upon Taelo's shoulders. "As I have
always said, my boy, fortune favours but destiny guides. You are to be a great swan tender, I am
sure," he says pleasantly.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy leans back against the trill, sighing again. "I don't feel very lucky.
Or very great."

An elderly trill gardener pats the trill boy's head. "Just because you are not now, does not mean
you will be." His eyes flick back to you. "Don't you agree?"

Kiradawea tsks softly, shaking her head. "Then how do you expect the swans to trust
you? I understand that setbacks can make one feel less worth. But..." She pauses, rubbing her chin
as she looks about herself as if the words are written in the aether about her. She looks over
towards the elderly trill, grateful for the save. "Indeed. To use an old and overused proverb.
Practice makes perfect."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy wraps his arms around his knees. "It doesn't feel like it's getting
better at all, though. And I don't know how long it'll be before dad's back. He always knows how to
do it right."

You say, "To elaborate. Just because you suffer setbacks now doesn't that mean that you do not have
the inherent qualia needed to be skilled in the future. And... if you do not feel like you're
getting better then I propose you start keeping a proper diary. That should help you prove your
progress to yourself."

Wrinkling his nose up, Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "A...diary?"

An elderly trill gardener presses up his spectacles. "Aye, you know, a book for writing," he adds.

You say, "Yes. It doesn't have to be a typical diary, but it should be somewhere you write down what
you have done, as well as certain metrics surrounding your tasks. I... don't know enough about swan
tending to suggest specifics, but once you have it in writing you should be able to see that you
improve."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "I'm...not great at writing."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says to an elderly trill gardener, "Do you know how?"

An elderly trill gardener nods his head emphatically.

An elderly trill gardener says, "Hyacinth requires us to write down all the names of the seeds and
when we planted them, aye."

You nod your head emphatically.

You say, "There's a reason book-keeping is a valued skill in Hallifax."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy's mouth turns up as his face breaks into a smile.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "To gard then...would you help me? I know how, dad taught me how,
 but I don't do it much."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says to an elderly trill gardener, "Then...would you help me? I know
how, dad taught me how, but I don't do it much."

An elderly trill gardener pats Taelo Aves, a young trill boy in a friendly manner.

An elderly trill gardener says, "Of course, of course. And maybe, when you are all grown up, you can
send it to Hallifax for them to publish."

An elderly trill gardener glancing up at you. "Aye?"

An elderly trill gardener glances up at you. "Aye?"

Looking sceptical, Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "To publish?"

Kiradawea perks up, a wide grin on her face as she nods eagerly. "Yes yes, of
course. We'd be happy to have it published."

You say to Taelo Aves, a young trill boy, "Why not. Good work deserves to be presented to the world."

An elderly trill gardener grins and nods in a way only an old man could.

A vestal cloud swan preens her feathers.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy looks about himself for a moment, then swings up to his feet. He
carefully reaches for the gardener's hands, gently helping him back up. "Then," Taelo says with the
determination of a young child, "we had better get started. We should find some um, paper. And a
quill."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy flashes you a joyous smile.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says to you, "Dad's going to be happy. He always wanted me to be
better at writing. And at looking after the swans."

Kiradawea looks over the swan, taking a moment to admire it's beauty before she
turns back, offering a warm smile herself. "And I'm sure you will be."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy beams broadly.

After pulling Taelo up, an elderly trill gardener plants his rake into the ground, nodding in
agreement with you. With Taelo none the wiser, he mouths to you, "Thank you. I got this."

Kiradawea inclines her head politely as she pulls out a notepad from her robes.
"I'm sure you'll do well. And it seems as if you've got things under control here. If you do require
assistance in the future, feel free to contact me again."

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy nods his head enthusiastically.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "Oh! What's your name? I have to tell dad."

Kiradawea pulls out a pen and quickly jots down a name, before she tears off the
page and passes it along. "Kiradawea Startail." She says, smiling with her hand holding the note
extended.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy beams broadly.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says, "It's nice to meet you, Miss Startail! I'll tell dad all about
you when he's back."

Belatedly, Taelo Aves, a young trill boy realises he was meant to take the note, and holds out his
own hand.

Handing the note over with a smile, you say to Taelo Aves, a young trill boy, "The pleasure is all
mine. It's always nice to see the next generation hard at work."

An elderly trill gardener nods silently in agreement in the background.

Taelo Aves, a young trill boy says to an elderly trill gardener, "Okay! What do I need to do first
for this diary?"

Kiradawea hides a grin and takes a step backwards. She looks over the area one last
time before she inclines her head politely and turns around. She lifts one hand to wave goodbye as
she leaves.

---

Thanks to the admin for an adorably cute scene. <3

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Comments