Simple Ideas

Comments

• edited February 2014

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Just do:
    emote licks his/her face and lets out a hearty 'yum yum'.
  • Kio said:
    Malarious said:
    Please please please can we make Nekotai - Scorpionspit have a unique syntax? As it is if you try to use it before every attack you end up spitting on people.  Can we make it SCORPIONSPIT <target> instead? Please?
    I was about to post the same thing.  I think it's pretty ridiculous that Athree got ISSUE'd for using it too much.  I almost choked IRL when she told me that.
    Can we get the same deal for FLESHFORM SCREAM? I got issued once for using it to stunspam someone, since from the victim's side it looks like "Iytha screams at you, "Moooo!" over and over again.
  • Spit and scream should not be issuable.

Or spamming rub on an enchant you dont have should be issuable? So should attack someone under serpent, discerning or assessing before attacks (which might fail, resulting in spam), etc. 

We have to limit what we consider spam, and obviously there SHOULD be some limits but things like fleshform scream and nekotai scorpionspit should have their own syntaxes to avoid spam if possible.
  • Is there any way we could get stratagems to respect psionics?

Would need to have the equivalent of: 
    ARM     - Requires only one arm on balance.
    added to mods.  It would look like:
    SUB|SUPER|ID     - Requires only the indicated psionics balances (if you require ID and SUB, indicate by separating with pipes).

Something along those lines would be really neat! As someone who struggles with ping sometimes, I'm pretty jealous of people who get stratagems!
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • Can we have guitars please?
  • Sakr said:
    Can we have guitars please?
    What is this, I don't even.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited May 2013
    Sakr said:
    Can we have guitars please?

Sod the haters.

The exact day they give Guitars to Cacophony I will make my alt plan.

Pretty sure there's at least one guitar in Lusternian lore too.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• There are plenty. We just call them mandolins.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • Jag's has a guitar, our voice tutor. But we cannot make them. It's out of our reach just like robes with pockets.
  • Lavinya said:
    Sakr, your sig pic is extremely painful on the eyes >_<
    Do I need to get Fry's dog in my signature again?
    If I'm on topic, something has gone horribly wrong.
  • This isn't a big, big issue. But would it be a neat idea for the AB to show up in inactive skills? Like I have dreamweaving hanging out and I forgot what my last skill was in it...Because I have been gone a bit...And I couldn't check it because I have psionics up and going.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    While neat, it would lead to Xiel asking me for even more ABs. :(
  • Can city cartels have channels to talk on, or be able to create projects?
  • I'd like city cartels to have bank accounts, at the least.
    Bookbinder by trade! Designer of most other things.

• edited May 2013
    Please, please, please instance the iterative aspect of the city epic quests. Make it track that I have 4 of the beacons lit/generators powered/taint things tainted, while Alacardael has 6, and Laxinova has 8. This would fix the current problem of one person 'cashing in' when the final portion of the epic is completed even if they did the minority of the work, and would enable multiple people to work on the quest as their schedules permitted rather than forcing them to wait in line and then perform a mad dash of questing every minute of their playtime for a week so they don't hold up progress for other people or get an honors stolen by someone else while logged off.

We have plenty of other quests that mesh individual progress tracking with shared mobs/items (the waystations, cankermore, Angkrag, and most of the monthly quests we've had come to mind), so I'm thinking it wouldn't be terribly arduous to re-code. Even if it were, I think that this is an occasion where a bigger project is warranted -- the orgbixes have a huge impact on both combat and roleplay, and are even required in some guilds as tasks for higher advancement. The system as it is now removes a large chunk of the fun that would come from doing the epic quest by encouraging people to grind it as quickly as possible rather than doing it in a relaxed, enjoyable way.

Don't believe that queues really form up or that pressure is felt to complete it quickly? Take a look at Celest's current waiting list:

QUEUE
    -----

+ Snaithy     - 3 sets complete. - DEADLINE: 25 Klangiary 354 -
    + Gwalchmai   - 0 sets complete. - POSITION FROZEN
    + Izekeal     - 0 sets complete.
    + Flarya      - 0 sets complete.
    + Brizz       - 0 sets complete.
    + Daxera      - 0 sets complete.
    + Sidonie     - 0 sets complete.
    + Alacardael  - 0 sets complete
    + Aodh        - 0 sets complete.
    + Israyhl     - 0 sets complete.
    + Veralidaine - 0 sets complete.
    + Anisu       - 0 sets complete.

Celest policy states that once someone progresses to the top of the waiting list, they receive a message and have three weaves to begin. From the time they start lighting beacons, they have exactly 1 IG year to complete the quest before being placed back at the bottom of the queue. Even if we assumed that each person started immediately and was able to complete it entirely in 3/4 of the time they are given, that's still a 3.6 RL month waiting line in order to just get started on this quest.

While at first a shift to an individually tracked progress system might cause a pinch on other parts of the quest since the items collected outside the city only spawn once an hour, this would very quickly work itself out since most of these people play at different hours of the day, and would all be able to work on the quest in their own personal prime-time. Furthermore, it would allow some of them to light a set of beacons, then give it a break for a few days when they're bored of the quest without fearing that they'll have to wait another 4 RL months before getting to try again.
  • If you don't like the way the city handles it then talk to them. All the orgbix quests have an unpleasant grindy phase

• Llandros said:
    If you don't like the way the city handles it then talk to them. All the orgbix quests have an unpleasant grindy phase
    I've never been a fan of grinding for the sake of grinding myself, really. Also, not all orgbixes do; I wouldn't say Gloms does, for instance. It's a one- to two-hour quest (although the prepwork can be a bit grindy, I suppose, but nowhere near the level of city-epics).

• Llandros said:
    If you don't like the way the city handles it then talk to them. All the orgbix quests have an unpleasant grindy phase
    But it's not a problem with how the city handles it. Their method of handling it is actually more reasonable than the other cities I've made alts in, where it's generally a free-for-all and you can regularly do 9/10ths of the quest and still lose the honor because someone else did the last piece while you were defending against a raid or (god forbid) sleeping.

Beyond that, you're not actually offering any valid arguments against the proposed change. Given the presence of other quests with individual tracking, I assert it would be simple to implement, it solves all the problems I mentioned, and has no apparent negative consequences. Grinding would be less grindy for all of the city quests if it didn't need to be done in 7+ hour marathons in order to avoid losing the progress you have made.
  • There is a potential negative consequence, but various things have made it unlikely. These honour quests are, originally, the quests that raise the city shield. The city shield can be brought down, in which case this quest needs to be done to re-raise it. Various recent changes mean the city shields aren't likely to drop, but they can, and considering the reduction in power gain from offing an smob they're about all you have to aim for anyway.

So, two (easy) options: everyone can pitch in when the shield drops but the rotten apples can spoil the epics; or it's counted by people which means one person needs to do a twelve-hour uninterrupted haul to raise the shield after it drops (as it would have to reset the quest count when the shield drops, obviously, or you can just prep it then chain people re-raising it).

More complicated option is making it count separately when the shield is up but not when it's down, and I don't know how possible that is. 
  • Well, assuming one of the two simple options you listed, the programmer in me says it's better to optimize for the common case rather than the exceedingly rare one.

Additionally, having individual tracking on a downed shield shouldn't actually slow the re-raising process at all; each epic has slow-resetting resources somewhere in the quest which mean that the different rounds can't really be done concurrently anyway. It just means that we'd be asking someone to do the entire quest as a marathon, which is pretty much what we ask every single person to do under the current system.
  • Make curio masks

1) Show names so they cant hide people at range.

2) Still show respective information afterward.  Believe it negates poses, showing if the person is moving planes (ascend/teleport/tesseract), and probably some other things.
  • The whole point of the masks is that they don't show than information.
  • The masks also greatly affect the viability of certain ranged abilities. They were supposed to be difficult to get a hold of, and they were pretty rare for a bit, but enough time has passed that they are now fairly widespread, and with divine stoles available as well, they will only become even more widely used in the future.

If not nerfing some of their effects, then certain ranged abilities may need to be upgraded.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Everyone and their mom is a solstice dragon in Lusternia now. 

RIP sensical tolerable themes.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Malarious said:
    Make curio masks

1) Show names so they cant hide people at range.

2) Still show respective information afterward.  Believe it negates poses, showing if the person is moving planes (ascend/teleport/tesseract), and probably some other things.
    I know for a fact they block the room pit message.
    Rivius said:
    Everyone and their mom is a solstice dragon in Lusternia now. 

RIP sensical tolerable themes.
    I'm a turtle.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Neos said:
    I'm a turtle.
    We already knew this.  Nothing new here!
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Xenthos said:
    Neos said:
    I'm a turtle.
    We already knew this.  Nothing new here!
    I had to correct Rivius!

[spoiler]Love me Xenthos.[/spoiler]
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • If you can't use bubblebeam, you're useless. Shoo!