Anyone using TinTin++?

http://tintin.sourceforge.net/

It's a MUD client that runs in the terminal (I think there's a windows port called WinTin++, but primarily it seems for *nix environments).

Anyhow, with the news that mmf might become inactive in the coming few months, I'm interested in giving another client a try (even though I *love* mudlet to no end). So I was just curious if anyone actively uses it today and if so, if you think it's worth it.

Comments

• I used WinTin++ and proper TinTin++ years ago. I think before cMUD it had a lot of advantages because it was faster and more streamlined than zMUD and had better access to scripting. IIRC everyone used vbasic because that's what a lot of zMUD folks used so it allowed for script exchanging.

Some hardcore folks claim TinTin is the way to go for speed, but the lack of functionality is just excruciating. You won't have a good mapper at all, no clicking links, etc etc. IMO nothing beats Mudlet and I wouldn't consider TinTin over cMud or MUSHClient either. (Though nothing is less intuitive than MUSHClient.)
  • Foehn said:
    http://tintin.sourceforge.net/

It's a MUD client that runs in the terminal (I think there's a windows port called WinTin++, but primarily it seems for *nix environments).

Anyhow, with the news that mmf might become inactive in the coming few months, I'm interested in giving another client a try (even though I *love* mudlet to no end). So I was just curious if anyone actively uses it today and if so, if you think it's worth it.
    I'm not the biggest Tintin fan, but I do use Tinyfugue during testing and for logging in remotely and highly recommend it (if you can get past the learning curve). There are some patches to make it allow Lua scripting as well if you're used to that.

Chirbi said:
    Though nothing is less intuitive than MUSHClient.
    Wash your mouth out with soap.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • I used to run TinyFugue back in my Aetolia years. It's still a pretty neat client just most people hated it because it didn't come with the fancy (and resource hogging) gui stuff of Cmud.

+1 Ianir
  • Ianir said:
    Chirbi said:
    Though nothing is less intuitive than MUSHClient.
    Wash your mouth out with soap.
    :lol:@Ianir

I didn't say it was bad! Just a steep learning curve is all :wink: 

Tinyfugue is next level hardcore. When you say remotely, do you mean you run TF on your own server and log into that via SSH or something?
  • Chirbi said:

Tinyfugue is next level hardcore. When you say remotely, do you mean you run TF on your own server and log into that via SSH or something?
    Yes. If I don't particularly feel like opening a MUSHclient world when testing stuff on my test server, I'll just split a tmux pane and tf into localhost. There's also been a few odd times where I've had my privkey but no MUD client, so it has been a convenience thing once or twice (late Dec 2016 to mid Jan 2017).
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • I've seen some cools setups that use multiple tintin + tmux panes to create pseudo-UIs: the main window with a prompt in one pane, a pane for your map and another pane for communications. That would be pretty nifty, but I don't know how practical it would be. I've also read that you can play around with other scripting languages, like ruby. And I'd give anything to use ruby over lua. Like -- anything.
  • But having looked around only a little bit, it seems like tintin's GMCP handling is not very stellar...
  • *cough* Web client *cough*
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chirbi said:
    (Though nothing is less intuitive than MUSHClient.)
    When I needed to make a trigger or alias in MUSHclient, it was super easy. Now on Mudlet, I have to have the manual open in front of me, constantly searching for the proper syntax for this or that, and even after I'm done, I have no idea what I'm looking at (and when it doesn't work, I don't know why). Of the three clients I've used to play Lusternia (Nexus, MUSHclient, and Mudlet), Mudlet is by far the least intuitive, least user-friendly.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited May 2017
    Sometimes, when I'm feeling bad about mudlet, I open up just a plain old raw telnet session. And then everything else doesn't seem so bad anymore.

@Weiwae sooo.... i'm gonna be honest. i just tried out the web client for the first time in several years. i had no idea that you could use javascript for scripting. that's pretty cool.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    When server-side curing goes live, I'll give the web client another go. But it's so laggy that movement causes a 1-2 second delay where it all freezes while the map loads, and nothing seems to change that.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I've tried the web client on and off over the years for various IRE games and I like the improvements that have been made to it. I still don't feel it quite has the capabilities I want. Or if it does, I don't know how to make use of them. Also, it took me years to figure out the basics of Lua coding. I don't want to start from scratch with a whole new language, to be honest. I'm sure to coders, that sounds whiny, but hey, it's honest. And I would venture to guess most players are casual and not coders. That's why pre-made systems (like mmf) are so popular. Until such functionality is more easily accessible in the web client, I would have to stick with Mudlet.