Simple questions?

Comments

• Hi i was mentioned ice wall kept pilgrims i hit out of my room until they were melted
  • I -think- icewalls work using no_confined_wander (or something like it), so anything without area_confined set will ignore them.
  • I have never seen evidence of icewalls stopping anything but players and maybe player pets?
    Unless they can leap or fly.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• How do you work out the seasonal equinox dates?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited May 2017
    Chirbi said:
    Saz said:
    Chirbi said:
    Foehn said:
    Will icewalls and similar mechanisms block denizens from exit or only does that work only on players? Or alternatively, is there a way that I can prevent a denizen from wondering out of the current room?
    @Foehn  Icewalls definitely blocks mobs. Doors too. I'm sure there are special ones that can melt/walk through/tumble.
    Either the list of exceptions is generously huge or the statement above is false. As far as I know, denizens are immune to icewall-like effects.  

In fact I just did a quick test on a random denizen, unless bunnies hopping counts towards pogostick/leap for players by default

You point a star-etched emerald ring towards the north, and sparks fly out of it.
    An icewall rises up to the north.
    A plump wild rabbit bounces out to the north.
    I only made that claim with confidence because @Rhi and I used icewalls to block some mobs that had fear and were running around the guildhall. It absolutely worked and when the icewall melted they came back in. Would their regular movement, not induced by fear, be blocked by the icewall? Unclear. :smile: 

I also am pretty sure doors stop some mobs, because I had to use doors during a city event where gorgons were roaming around so I'd stop getting thrashed. Again, this is obviously not always true! :wink: 

I'd never count on a door or icewall if I really depended on it, or wanted to coral them for whatever reason.
    You point a jewelled stalker's skull towards the southwest, and sparks fly out of it.
    An icewall rises up to the southwest.

An icewall is here, blocking passage to the southwest.

You leap into the air and launch a flying kick at a dwarven pilgrim.
    You connect!
    You have scored a CRUSHING CRITICAL hit!
    Continuing her journey, a dwarven pilgrim trudges off to the southwest.

An icewall is here, blocking passage to the southwest.

southwest
    A wall blocks your way.

-----

Alternatively, with a door:
    You close the steel door to the southwest.

You connect!
    A dwarven pilgrim opens the door to the southwest.
    Continuing her journey, a dwarven pilgrim trudges off to the southwest.

With a locked door:
    You close the reinforced door to the up.
    13207h, 10329m, 9390e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrxk<>-
    You lock the reinforced door.
    13207h, 10329m, 9390e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrxk<>-kick pilgrim

You connect!
    13207h, 10329m, 9390e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrk<>-
    A dwarven pilgrim beats you about the head with a holy book.

----

With a non-sentient scaredy-mob (a cow) and a closed (unlocked) door:
    You close the steel door to the southwest.
    12619h, 10329m, 9390e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrxk<>-
    You are not carrying a key for this steel door.
    12619h, 10329m, 9390e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrxk<>-kick cow

You leap into the air and launch a flying kick at a cow.
    You connect!
    You have scored a CRITICAL hit!
    12619h, 10329m, 9390e, 10p, 26660en, 26660w mBelrk<>-
    A cow stamps on your foot with a huge hoof.

Summary:
    1) Mobs ignore icewalls (even when scared).
    2) Sentient mobs will open doors if they can. If they can't open the door (for example, due to it being locked) they will not use the door.
    3) Non-sentient mobs are too dumb to know how to open a door and will just stand there.
  • MoiMoi
    edited May 2017
    Anita said:
    How do you work out the seasonal equinox dates?
    Lusternia doesn't have equinoxes. The sun always rises at 5:00AM and always sets at 6:00PM, meaning that Day is always 13 hours and Night is always 11. It also doesn't have time zones; Dawn occurs in Icewynd, Dio, Lirangsha and the Peak at the exact same instant.

(Shoo, Xenthos! False Memory!)
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Iytha said:
    Anita said:
    Lusternia doesn't have equinoxes. The sun always rises at 5:00AM and always sets at 6:00PM, meaning that Day is always 11 hours and Night is always 13. It also doesn't have time zones; Dawn occurs in Icewynd, Dio, Lirangsha and the Peak at the exact same instant.
    ...?

Rising at 5 am and setting at 6 pm would mean that day is 13 hours and night is 11 hours!  (Which is the case, day is longer than night-- I think you just have the words swapped by accident)
  • That is correct. I should drink more coffee.
  • edited May 2017
    How is goop tracked for retiring? Is goop on hand added to retire value? Same with wondercrystals.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited May 2017
    I do believe that goop and crystals are not factored into retirement values.  I have an alt with a 9-crystal cornucopia and several goop artis and his retire value is set to some 580 or so credits, this is likely due to crystals not having a tradein value attached to them and goop-purchased (Not sure if credit-purchased, but then subsequently skinned artis are flagged this way?) artifacts now trading in for goop rather than credits.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Xenthos said:
    Iytha said:
    Anita said:
    Lusternia doesn't have equinoxes. The sun always rises at 5:00AM and always sets at 6:00PM, meaning that Day is always 11 hours and Night is always 13. It also doesn't have time zones; Dawn occurs in Icewynd, Dio, Lirangsha and the Peak at the exact same instant.
    ...?

Rising at 5 am and setting at 6 pm would mean that day is 13 hours and night is 11 hours!  (Which is the case, day is longer than night-- I think you just have the words swapped by accident)
    That's odd! You sometimes get the message in-game about it being an equinox, hence my question!
  • The equinox are the half way point between midsummer's day[in the exact middle of summer] and midwinter's night[exact middle of winter].
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• edited May 2017
    I don't recall ever seeing the IG messages, but the equinoxes are definitely a thing. The Equinoxes literally live on the Night bubble and help you build her throne for the quest there. Also, I recall Nyoro the Summer Solstice says something to imply that the length of night time varies across the year, so I think the 6pm to 5am thing is strictly mechanical.

As for calculating... Tylwyth is probably right. There are 12 lusternian months, with each month being 25 days, so midsummer should be 13 Dvarsh and midwinter 13 Estar, with their respective solstices on those days. At 75 days out, the vernal equinox would be 13 Dioni and the autumnal equinox on 13 Juliary. Again, I haven't paid attention to IG equinox messages, so see if they pop around those times.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • I think the messages are a Serenwilde area echo. Fairly sure it's linked to the spiritsingers
  • What exactly does a Rune of Winter Bane do? It didn't change the warmth rating of my gloves (3+5 padding) when I attached it, and didn't change the % slow reported with FORECAST.  I tested in Icewynds in winter so it was pretty cold.

Taking the runed gloves on and off, and dropping them in a different room didn't change the % slow reported on FORECAST either.

Maybe it just silently cancels one level of cold related movement penalty?
  • Hope this is the right place to ask this... sorry if not.

Is there a way to make a variable's value last through logout, in Mudlet?
  • Dys said:
    What exactly does a Rune of Winter Bane do? It didn't change the warmth rating of my gloves (3+5 padding) when I attached it, and didn't change the % slow reported with FORECAST.  I tested in Icewynds in winter so it was pretty cold.

Taking the runed gloves on and off, and dropping them in a different room didn't change the % slow reported on FORECAST either.

Maybe it just silently cancels one level of cold related movement penalty?
    It's a direct modifier to total warmth, in tune to about 20%.

Kerith said:
    Hope this is the right place to ask this... sorry if not.

Is there a way to make a variable's value last through logout, in Mudlet?
    http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:Table_Functions#table.save
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • Oh, fine. I'll finally break down and figure out tables. :) Thanks, @Ianir.
  • I looked around for this but couldn't find a recent discussion or an answer to this. Apologize if it has already been answered and I just missed it. Will there ever be replacements for the demigod vitals endowment powers?
  • Is there a way to check celerity/movement buffs similar to BODYSCAN? 
  • On the topic of clothing warmth, is temperature tolerance a single sliding scale or are there separate measures for tolerating cold and heat?  More to the point, is it beneficial to wear both the Rune of Winter Bane and the Rune of Summer Bane simultaneously, or do they cancel when worn together?

• I accidentally put both on my gloves so I hope they don't cancel out!
  • Eldanien said:
    On the topic of clothing warmth, is temperature tolerance a single sliding scale or are there separate measures for tolerating cold and heat?  More to the point, is it beneficial to wear both the Rune of Winter Bane and the Rune of Summer Bane simultaneously, or do they cancel when worn together?
    Scale. Cancel each other out.

Dys said:
    I accidentally put both on my gloves so I hope they don't cancel out!
    Yeah, if you can't remove the rune yourself to put it on something else, go ahead and ISSUE ME with one of the repnums and we'll get you sorted. This is really something that should be documented in the artifact's helpfile. I'll fix that when I get back.

Chirbi said:
    Is there a way to check celerity/movement buffs similar to BODYSCAN? 
    Not at this time.

Foehn said:
    I looked around for this but couldn't find a recent discussion or an answer to this. Apologize if it has already been answered and I just missed it. Will there ever be replacements for the demigod vitals endowment powers?
    Maybe, demigod powers are something I want to look into in the future. They've been pretty lackluster unless you're an ascendant, and while I'd rather keep ascendants feeling special, demigods need a bit of spice. Being honest, the endgame in general does.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • Brilliant, thank you. That would explain why I couldn't see any impact.
  • Have any orgs created or considered class-oriented clans? I hate the idea of more clans, but one of the things the old guilds provided was a central place for common knowledge on class-specific info. Is the collegium the place for that now?
  • Foehn said:
    Have any orgs created or considered class-oriented clans? I hate the idea of more clans, but one of the things the old guilds provided was a central place for common knowledge on class-specific info. Is the collegium the place for that now?
    For basic things certainly collegium, in the smaller cities the more advanced combat info was already concentrated in a combat or defense clan.
  • Thanks @Ianir

Does anyone know if trotting stacks w/ other movement buffs?
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Chirbi said:
    Thanks @Ianir

Does anyone know if trotting stacks w/ other movement buffs?
    95% sure it does.

• Foehn said:
    Have any orgs created or considered class-oriented clans? I hate the idea of more clans, but one of the things the old guilds provided was a central place for common knowledge on class-specific info. Is the collegium the place for that now?
    Moondancers has one of stuff, An'taithe. I'm still the head of since I was last GC. Not sure about the other Seren guilds though. We do have a combat clan for the forest that's not really used anymore since the alliance one is there, iirc.
  • Anita said:
    Foehn said:
    Moondancers has one of stuff, An'taithe. I'm still the head of since I was last GC. Not sure about the other Seren guilds though. We do have a combat clan for the forest that's not really used anymore since the alliance one is there, iirc.
    Super pushing for SEG to have all combat training stuff in it. We already have people with multiple classes, it'd be great to just put everyone interested in learning or teaching combat in one place where they can share everything.

Rather than five clans with not all of your combat people necessarily in all of them.