Very Vanilla Mafia - The Game Thread [Town Victory]

1161718192022»

Comments

• Thanks for a fun game Vivet! Your writing was gorgeous. Hope you don't mind me posting these:

Night zero, block Othero:

You steal carefully among the rafters between rooms and catch Othero in your vision from around a corner. Certain you are still concealed, you release a rain of shuriken down upon him, pinning him in place and prompting him to curse loudly while you silently bound away. You nearly lose your footing as a magical pulse of energy rocks the Inn, however, and set about to see what that is all about.

TL;DR - You have successfully roleblocked Othero

Night one, assassinate Phoebus:

As you make your way down the hallways, the air around you distorts and ripples. Confused, you turn to a hallway mirror to find Othero looking back at you. You reach out to touch the mirror, blink, and slowly you realise you are the Othero you see! Uncertain as to what has happened, you do not forget your mission for the night and proceed.

Phoebus approaches from around a corner, and you approach with a congenial smile, nodding as you pass. Just as soon as Phoebus has stepped past, you whip around and draw your blade, striking her across the back and sending her reeling. She curses loudly as she turns to face you, drawing her blade in kind...

But wait, what is that? There is something familiar to that particular manner of cursing, and that blade as well. You know in an instant.

"Ageha!", you snarl as you close the gap, prompting her to visibly blink in surprise, slow to react to your strikes as she takes in the situation. You cross blades over two dozen times, but it isn't until the air ripples around you again that your fates are decided.

In the moment that the glamour fades, and she realises you are not Othero, you manage to plunge your blade straight through her heart during the split second she is comprehending what she is seeing.

"Farewell," you murmur, drawing your blade out with a satisfying spray of blood and wiping it clean as your nemesis falls. Even as you watch her choke on her own blood, you can't help but feel a tinge of anti-climax. How strange that fortune seemed to favour you so readily in this situation. Nonetheless, the vindication is as sweet as you had expected.

You were made to appear to be Othero.
    You have slain Ageha! You will be empowered during the next night.

Night two, assassinate Othero, assassinate Silvanus:

As you stalk towards Silvanus' room, you feel your separate consciousness within the Omen melt through the walls and form inside of Othero's room.

Celina is with Othero, but they're both looking out the window and give you plenty of opportunity to take a free strike. You feel this will be an easy kill as you bring your blade down towards his neck, but before it can connect it is repulsed by flowing ribbons of light glowing with scriptures. At the sight of you, Celina drops to the floor and frantically chants while Othero draws a broadsword and crosses blades with you. Though he fumbles a few times, each time you try to punish his mistake you are repulsed again. Eventually he lands a blow that causes the Omen body to shatter and scatter into the etheric winds.

"He was protected. Most regrettable," the Omen whispers into your mind before it fades away into the night.

Unphased by failure, you focus wholly on Silvanus now as you slip into his room while he greedily munches on greens of some sort. As you strike his back, however, you find your blade doesn't quite find purchase properly - his body seems to be more equine than you could previously perceive through the shrouding magics. He flails about wildly, whinnying with indignation as he kicks and farts noxious rainbows that make your eyes water and burn your throat. As a hoof crashes into your temple, you manage to land a fatal blow against his neck, sending blood spraying across the room at a rate that should surely prove to be fatal.

Though Silvanus lies dying, it is also a struggle for you to get to your feet, coughing and hacking up bits of tissue as you stumble out of the room and through the halls. Before your head can stop spinning, you feel a sharp pain shooting through your back, and oblivion overtakes you.

You have slain Silvanus, but Othero was protected, and someone has slain you in kind.

I love the unicorn fight!

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    ONE DAY I WILL BE NON-SCUM OR 3P.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • @phoebus well excuse me for  not having played lie detector before, and using Falaeron as my example. I was looking for other things to chrck but in the end i had limited power use and that seemed to be something that worked
  • I have to say I had such a blast doing this as my first one

I was almost sad during the night phases - 24 hours of no action :(

And I was convinced my powers were worthless:

Night 0 Sylandra slept and I almost got lynched for dropping off a gold coin

Night 1 Phoebus appeared to sleep - imagine my surprise when they were dead

Night 2 Arix died then came down for breakfast

I'll miss this now. Probably do more work but miss this
  • DysDys
    edited June 2017
    Just spotted that if I'd picked either of my other two potentials instead of Phoebus I'd have been killed. Sylandra would have bounced to me from Eldanien's magic shield and with Othero I'd have stabbed myself from Lekhi's illusion swap. :smiley:
  • I agree that the lie detectors are pretty powerful, especially when it confirmed myself. I was immune to everyone but Silvanus for both daykill and nightkills so when I was confirmed via Arix, I was pretty safe. When Silvanus died, I think I was guaranteed to survive at that point.

On the other hand, look from the perspective that both the SK and godfather were immune.  It would have been useless against both of those and they could have possibly been confirmed. If I had for instance been the Godfather instead, getting confirmed early on would have been great. Look at the last game where Czixi was confirmed by a lie detector and was mafia. 

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Kalikai said:
    On the other hand, look from the perspective that both the SK and godfather were immune.  It would have been useless against both of those and they could have possibly been confirmed. If I had for instance been the Godfather instead, getting confirmed early on would have been great. Look at the last game where Czixi was confirmed by a lie detector and was mafia. 

This one depends a lot on how the mod rules lie detectors to work. If immunity works as always reading as truth, then it's great. On the other hand, if it works as "I am town" coming up as true but can ping other lies, then they get caught when people start claiming powers and they have to make one up. I don't really like lie detectors because there's so much mod judgment call in them, but the power level there is hugely variable and some immunities break down when there are just a few people left.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Look, I did what I could with what I had and a relative lack of experience with that particular power, and only one immediate example
  • @Arix, you did a great job and were effective! There wasn't a better question you could ask.

The comments are about lie detectors in general,  as a role for future games, how to balance them etc.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I liked how I received lie detector in Umineko.

1) Every night, pick a single post from the game thread. NO PICKING AND CHOOSING PARTS OF THE POST. JUST THE WHOLE POST.
    2) Get told if the post is true, false, or subjective truth. THIS VERDICT WILL INVOLVE EVERY ASPECT OF THE POST.
    3) The results are given privately to you at night and not publicly shown. Onus of proof is on the lie detector's ability to persuade during the dayphase.

If anyone is curious about other ways to use the role in their own games.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."