Research for design

edited June 2017 in Common Grounds
For any fellow tailors who do research (or need inspiration) when designing clothes for Lusternia, I just found this cool project Google's been working on. I can see it being helpful both in tailoring and in time-killing. As an example, here's their history of shoes.

Edit: please feel free to share resources you use in designing and crafting!

Comments

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I like browsing through big collections of stuff to get inspiration.

This tumblr with a focus on historical fashion shares clothing (mostly dresses) ranging from elegant to outrageous.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has an enormous online collection of arms and armor. Being mostly clueless about armor and weaponry, I need a little help beyond just finding pretty things when it comes to forging designs, so I find myself looking at resources explaining what the different parts of plate armor, for instance, are actually for. There was a nice site that I liked to use for this, and now for the life of me I cannot find it. :( Maybe it'll turn up.

The best way I've found to come up with fancy food designs is to be really hungry, then look at pretty food on a site like this. For non-fancy food, just being hungry and thinking about what I want to eat is usually enough. Mmm, food.
  • This kind of stuff speaks to me, I love the history of fashion and makeup. Food too. Drunk history is totally my jam.
    The cool night-time breeze shivers in the arid caress of the streets of the capital city, brushing the earthen taste of dust across your lips.
    A blessed silence falls upon the city for the moment, most activity confined to the towers and the
    theatre due to the snowy weather.
    Pinprick points of light twinkle in the deep black overhead, their brightness full of a cold,
    hungering malice.