Race Class Combinations

In the realm of PvP and PvE, what are some good class race combinations?

Ive been told Humans are considered rather weak, and Kephera are broken in their current state, and the races recommended to me for Tahtetso were just not appealing in a RP setting, so just wanted to see what mixes well and choose from there. Thanks.

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited June 2017
    Uh... who told you this, and when?  All races are very similar at the base level now, they just each get 4 racial "perks" as they level up.  You can pick your race based on which perks you like, but they really aren't required.  The entire point was so that people could choose to play previously "undesirable" combinations.

Edit: Don't actually need to know the who, but the when is relevant; if it was on an older character pre-racial overhaul then it would make more sense, but if it was more recent it's a bit of a puzzle to me.
  • The majority of races offer only minor benefits unless you get the racial spark artifact.

Are you planning on buying the racial spark artifact?

Also racehats are a thing. If you really want to min/max you can have a race you want for mechanics and buy a race hat, put a rune of hiding on it, get a pin and then for all intents and purposes you look and act and are that race.

• FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited June 2017
    Going to be contrary and say that there are still some races that are clearly better (or worse) than the others. The level 1/25/50 perks are all fairly minor but the demigod perks can be very good (or bad). Here are the ones that I would consider to be good or at least have some niche that they fill.

Without demigod+ (the Pendant of Divine Spark artifact for 1000 credits):
    Dracnari - not as OP as it used to be, but the 5% chance of a burp to give ablaze + a fair amount of damage every time you do anything that does damage in PvP is valuable. The other parts of this perk are also underrated. Faster icewall melting is nice and even the fact that your pipes never need to be re-lighted can be useful before you get artifact pipes.
    Furrikin - best defensive race, giving you roll (faster tumble) and slip (faster writhe). If you are going Acrobatics then this is irrelevant to you as you already have somersault (same as roll) and contort (even faster writhe than slip)
    Human - not so useful in PvP or PvE bashing, but influencing is basically another type of PvE. The esteem bonus is nice for the min-maxers out there. The karma bonus is underrated as it lets you upkeep blessings even easier. Some would argue that it is already easy enough, but sometimes I like to just sit on my karmic blessings without doing much and it's nice just to top up my karma even quicker.
    Krokani - less blackout can be useful sometimes.
    Loboshigaru - regeneration at higher values is very powerful, but can be countered. Still, this perk isn't that bad.
    Igasho - carry is a better tackle. Underused perk.
    Lucidian - nice if you like not having to link from your nexus much.
    Mugwump - underrated. It doesn't cover everything, but the 50% reduced mana use on things like clot makes a huge difference in our mana-kill/bleed-overload heavy meta.
    Viscanti - the burp part is the same as dracnari, but it's asthma instead of ablaze. The immunity to poison gas is nice against geomelds. Basically means you can ignore the hunger attrition entirely.

With demigod+:
    Dracnari - burp can now fire in PvE as well. Can make a difference if you are really trying to push your bashing speed.
    Igasho - improved version of carry that now ignores summon resistance. Can also be used to break through otherwise unbreakable things like great pentagram.
    Kephera - actually really good, since the damage that is converted to ego can basically be seen as an effective (and significant) damage reduction in most situations.
    Krokani - I've heard mixed things. Some people say the chance to dodge pits is too low, but given how debilitating falling into a pit may be, even a small chance might make a difference.
    Loboshigaru - also heard mixed things. 10% more healing doesn't sound that good to me, but some people find it useful.
    Lucidian - OP. Some classes are better with it than others, but with active power being the limiting factor to most offences (and even defences) in the game, having faster regeneration will give you an advantage. Like the normal demigod perk, it's also just really handy for when you are low on power and don't want to link from your nexus.
    Mugwump - as with the normal mugwump demigod perk, except now it also makes mana drains mostly ineffective against you. Top tier in the meta imo.
    Orclach - some people say it helps you bash harder content, but honestly there's really no content that is hard to bash once you are looking at buying a 1k credit artifact anyway.
    Taurian - if warrior damage wasn't so bad this would probably be a top tier perk for warriors. For classes that can use shields, it's really decent as well. The demigod+ basically removes most of the downside of having this active as it will no longer hit allies unless you have paranoia. Monks probably have no use for it.
    Viscanti - same as dracnari. Breathe poison has its niches in PvP.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Loboshigaru doesn't sound like much on paper, but iirc it applies to all regens as well as sparkle, scroll, sipping, ability effects, etc. An extra 10% on all of that can make you -much- tankier. That extra % matters when it goes on everything, because if you're taking a lot of damage over time you're more likely to heal it off rather than have the extra % "wasted" when you regularly hit full health and are stuck waiting for next proc. I sure feel tankier when I try it and would be surprised if it wasn't applying to everything after all.

If you're not fussy about race, it's probably best to be a human until you have a lot more skills or hit demi, then can pick something else. Human benefits are all very nice for utility except the demi+, which is still pretty alright.

• edited June 2017
    Pretty sure Viscanti breath has been changed - it's no longer asthma and is instead sickness. At least, according to changelog 793, that's the case. Still decent, of course.

The races listed here give benefits that are more generalistic than niche, which makes them easy recommendations because they are more applicable to a wide range of situations than others. The other races give benefits that are a lot more situational - but no less "strong" in the applicable situations, I feel. For example, Faeling/Elfen are basically Loboshigaru-lite, and will be just as useful for similar reasons as Lobo - with different applications based on your org membership and/or your fighting style. Aslaran pursuit is great for very specific combat situations, the same way Igasho carry is only really applicable in certain match-up/situations. Etc.

There are a few races that could do with some extra work, because their demi/demi+ are noticeably more lackluster, but the ones in the list above and the unmentioned, but also situationally useful ones, outnumber those other red-headed stepchildren - generally speaking, you can probably get away with selecting almost any race, and enjoying your racial RP without having to worry too much about a "bad match", really.

The meaningful differences only really apply from level 100 onwards (or 75, if you have the $$ to put down on the artifact).

• FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited June 2017
    Aslaran pursuit is horrible, from testing. Can't remember what about it made me come to this conclusion, but I wrote it off entirely once I figured out how it actually works in practice.

Loboshigaru is just strictly better than elfen/faeling for health and only slightly worse for mana/ego even when you do get the bonus from elfen/faeling.
  • edited June 2017
    To be completely technical, because there's a 1/3 health/mana regen in the level 50 perk for Elfen/Faeling, they could be providing the same health regen as Lobos! (Though in only specific circumstances).

Sure, the Lobo version of the perks are all around more generally applicable than the Elfen/Faeling ones - I'm not contesting that. But Elfen/Faeling do not need to be completely written off. Their weaknesses approach negligible levels of differences in the right circumstances, so it's entirely possible a player can get more total enjoyment out of playing these races over a Lobo, if the RP is of significance to them.

Edited to add this disclaimer: I'm sure Elfen/Faeling players would be happy to get buffs, of course! It's definitely a good idea to make them stronger than Lobos in their situational circumstances to justify them being weaker outside of said circumstances. But even at the current status quo, they're certainly valid choices, still.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Demi+ Faeling perk gives a 2/10 universal damage buff and resist buff in any natural environment (not just forests) on top of the regens.  I mean, if you want to suggest buffs for it, go ahead, but I find it better than loboshigaru (I'm sitting at 13/13 health regen in natural environments right now)
  • I really liked the tae'dae perk as a bard
  • edited June 2017
    Lobo perk is pretty undervalued in my experience, I swapped out Kephera for Lobo when I wanted survivability after I toyed with both. The +10% applied across methods of healing is more significant than it sounds. 

Faeling is blah, considering that it's so easy to max out resists and buffs with enough credits. 
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • edited June 2017
    Lobo is leet, yeah.

I don't like tanking up that much (prefer offensive perks), but if I wanted to, I'd lean towards Lobo.

If you don't want to get dunked by Glom though you have to run Mugwump ++.  It is known.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • Ciaran said:
    Lobo is leet, yeah.

I don't like tanking up that much (prefer offensive perks), but if I wanted to, I'd lean towards Lobo.

If you don't want to get dunked by Glom any Wiccan though you have to run Mugwump ++.  It is known.

Fixed.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne

Danquik said:
    Ciaran said:
    Lobo is leet, yeah.

If you don't want to get dunked by Glom any Wiccan   Nekotai, Harbingers, Pureblade EG, Shadowdancers and one ability in Serenwilde called Succumb though you have to run Mugwump ++.  It is known.

Fixed.
    Fixed it again for you.

• edited June 2017
    Salt is not a race the new player was asking about. 
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • edited June 2017
    Lobo is overall tankier but the value of Kephera is your tankier against huge burst stuff. Eg Meteor.

EDIT: Assuming your using the spark.
  • I mean it would just be a variant of the regular ones, who are made of rock candy