Upgraded mudlet and stuff broke

Going from 2.1 to 3.4 and some stuff broke... Mostly seems to be mapper related...

Scrying shows roomnums but areas are always coming up as unknown. Teleporting messages just don't work anymore. Anyone know how I can fix..?
beep

Comments

• When you open up Mudlet settings, there's an option (I think under Display?) to display Lua errors to the main window. Enable that setting, try and do a couple of the things that aren't working for you, and post some screen shots! If Lua errors aren't showing up, we can start the hunt somewhere else :smiley:
  • Erm... I turned on lua errors but still nothing.

Then I restarted mudlet and... it all works now o.o Um... just mudlet things I guess? Thanks for being willing to help
    beep
  • Have you also downloaded the newest versions of the map script and map?
  • edited August 2017
    ...Ok I'm dumb. I accidentally launched 2.1 again and that's why it was working. Back to 3.4 again and it's broken again.

I got the latest map. I don't know where to check for updated map scripts...

edit:
    Ok someone on an OOC clan pointed me to the updated map script, will try that...

On a side note... not the matter but I noticed with this new version, I get a lot of errors that read "<attempt to call a string value>" from my other stuff. What does that mean/how do I fix..?
    beep
  • You're seeing Lua errors that you probably had previously, but didn't cause a problem. Just disable outputting lua errors in the settings to make them disappear.
  • Ok...

Meanwhile, upgrading map scripts didn't fix:

beep
  • Ok, I noticed the new mapper prompting me to redownload the map. Even though I did update it very recently anyways... well I did that, and *now* it seems to be working even on 3.4...
    beep
  • Yehn said:
    Ok, I noticed the new mapper prompting me to redownload the map. Even though I did update it very recently anyways... well I did that, and *now* it seems to be working even on 3.4...
    The game map updates every single day, and Mudlet now prompts us to download for each new map (not sure why it didn't before). So yeah get used to daily "update your map" notifications.

As for the mapper not knowing what area rooms are in, I've had that problem for a few versions now and still can't get it to work. People have told me a few different solutions that worked for them, but they didn't work for me. I eventually gave up. Really hope someone can post a solution here that works!
  • For the unknown area issue, try putting this in your command line:
    lua mmp_regenerate_areas()

If that fixes it, then go search for that function and add sysLoadEvent or something else as a registered event handler to make sure it does it properly every time you load Mudlet.
  • Falaeron said:
    For the unknown area issue, try putting this in your command line:
    lua mmp_regenerate_areas()

If that fixes it, then go search for that function and add sysLoadEvent or something else as a registered event handler to make sure it does it properly every time you load Mudlet.
    ...I was just about to post again because areas broke again, and this fixed it. I'll add it to my login trigger. Thanks!
    beep

• Kerith said:
    Yehn said:
    Ok, I noticed the new mapper prompting me to redownload the map. Even though I did update it very recently anyways... well I did that, and *now* it seems to be working even on 3.4...
    The game map updates every single day, and Mudlet now prompts us to download for each new map (not sure why it didn't before). So yeah get used to daily "update your map" notifications.

As for the mapper not knowing what area rooms are in, I've had that problem for a few versions now and still can't get it to work. People have told me a few different solutions that worked for them, but they didn't work for me. I eventually gave up. Really hope someone can post a solution here that works!
    ...maybe mudlet 2.1 wasn't so bad afterall...
    beep
  • @Kerith I can't verify that the game map updates daily, but Mudlet actually just prompts us to update the map at login and then every 30 minutes afterwards if we haven't updated. If it used to check our MD5 against Lusternia's, I'm not sure, but currently it only checks the local MD5Sum to see if we finished a download, not to see if our version is current. Adding versioning would probably save a lot of grief. FWIW, I never download updates unless I find a map error because I don't want to lose my special exits and unmapped rooms.
  • Chirbi said:
    @Kerith I can't verify that the game map updates daily, but Mudlet actually just prompts us to update the map at login and then every 30 minutes afterwards if we haven't updated. If it used to check our MD5 against Lusternia's, I'm not sure, but currently it only checks the local MD5Sum to see if we finished a download, not to see if our version is current. Adding versioning would probably save a lot of grief. FWIW, I never download updates unless I find a map error because I don't want to lose my special exits and unmapped rooms.
    If I'm remembering properly, I believe the game map updates daily automatically, even if the map itself has not changed, so they don't have to manually push changes.

You could always put your special exits at least into script to reconnect them on a new map update (I don't bother with unmapped rooms, that might be harder).
  • drifting off-topic: That would properly explain why the mapper script doesn't bother to check for a version! Thanks for the insight. Special exits are easy enough to store in a DB or table, for sure. I keep all my special exits for transplanar'y things in a text file. My end goal is a script that can merge the new incoming map file with the current one so I don't keep losing rooms. The only one really worth the hassle to remap is the portals room for the Gaudi belt. And if we ever get gmcp continent data, we could add catacombs to the map script too.
  • Ejderha said:
    Chirbi said:
    @Kerith I can't verify that the game map updates daily, but Mudlet actually just prompts us to update the map at login and then every 30 minutes afterwards if we haven't updated. If it used to check our MD5 against Lusternia's, I'm not sure, but currently it only checks the local MD5Sum to see if we finished a download, not to see if our version is current. Adding versioning would probably save a lot of grief. FWIW, I never download updates unless I find a map error because I don't want to lose my special exits and unmapped rooms.
    If I'm remembering properly, I believe the game map updates daily automatically, even if the map itself has not changed, so they don't have to manually push changes.

You could always put your special exits at least into script to reconnect them on a new map update (I don't bother with unmapped rooms, that might be harder).
    Yeah, that's the in-line map though, like what you see when you do MAP or CONFIG MAPVIEW ON. I'm talking about Mudlet's map, which does need to be updated. Like when the new guildhalls came out, the in-line one was correct, but the Mudlet one wasn't until I updated it.

I didn't know the Mudlet one was doing it every day/login, regardless of whether there were actual updates to the game map. It would be nice if it would only do it when the game map was actually updated...

(Sorry, I'm overtired. Hope that rambling made sense.)
  • I can't post the link from my mobile properly but its like   https://wiki.mudlet.org/w/IRE_mapping_script#Download

Delete your old mapper script with package manager and install that. I had the same issue when I upgraded. This should fix it quick for you.
  • Veyils said:
    I can't post the link from my mobile properly but its like   https://wiki.mudlet.org/w/IRE_mapping_script#Download

Delete your old mapper script with package manager and install that. I had the same issue when I upgraded. This should fix it quick for you.
    OMG THANK YOU!!
  • I'm getting the "update your map" prompt daily with the new script now... I guess I will try deleting it and reinstalling...
    beep
  • Yehn said:
    I'm getting the "update your map" prompt daily with the new script now... I guess I will try deleting it and reinstalling...
    The new mapper was to fix the 'what area is the room in' problem, not the daily update problem. You can either update, or click the button that says you updated and it will stop reminding.
  • @Yehn If that's the only issue you're experiencing, then you probably don't need to reinstall. We did the digging earlier, and the script is written to request an update daily now. It's working as intended!

I don't fetch the update until there's an actual map conflict because I don't want to lose my personal map. There's a link in the notification to disable the reminder if you need :smile:
  • Ejderha said:
    Yehn said:
    I'm getting the "update your map" prompt daily with the new script now... I guess I will try deleting it and reinstalling...
    The new mapper was to fix the 'what area is the room in' problem, not the daily update problem. You can either update, or click the button that says you updated and it will stop reminding.
    ...I do update but it asks everyday anyways x.x
    beep
  • edited August 2017
    For whatever it's worth, I just started to volunteer on the mapper script. I haven't pushed any of my own changes because I literally just started, but I hope to change the daily update among other things like an option to not overwrite custom map stuff. If anyone has other suggestions that are small and within the scope of the project I'd be happy to take a look.