The problem with the Glomdoring Epic

So the Glomdoring epic includes a scene where a sacrifice is required, the sacrifice is an infant. The scene can become rather graphic and a few people are voicing that they find this to be disturbing.
I would like to propose that the sacrifice be changed slightly, I have little concern with the graphic nature of the scene but the fact that it involves an infant is very troubling to me and others.
I feel a virgin sacrifice could keep the ideas of the sacrifice without keeping the disturbing part.

Comments

• The only virgins we have in lusternia are on Astral
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Sumii said:
    The only virgins we have in lusternia are on Astral
    My memory may not be perfect there, but am pretty sure some of the villages did have characters that were considered virgins. Of course that's not written on their heads ( why would it :) ), but am sure that a substitute or two could be found if such was desired. There's also quite some denizens on the roads or in different areas that would possibly fit the description. That alone shouldn't be any hindrance :)
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • (it was a joke)
  • edited August 2017
    +100 OP

I am straight-up going to come out and say I'm one of these people who gets triggered by this quest. Last time somebody asked Versalean if (s?)he would help hold the baby still retrieve the baby if it got away... I didn't like that very much. Still, lots of things in this game trigger people for lots of different reasons and that's life when you have triggers. So even if nobody has time to rip the guts out of the quest and start again, perhaps an alternative to that step might be considered? Hell, let us choose whether we want to sacrifice the baby or ourselves (i.e., dying when the quest completes). As long as I live I will not complete the present quest, and that's sad because I really want dat fingerblade.

ETA: Strikethrough was inaccurate. I'm still not sure which is worse, but always best to be accurate.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    This is pretty contrary to how I normally believe/act, but if you don't like it, don't do the epic. It's not a requirement.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    This is pretty contrary to how I normally believe/act, but if you don't like it, don't do the epic. It's not a requirement.
    Okay, so given that it's contrary to how you normally believe/act, what's the difference between this scenario and others that make you believe/act to the contrary?
    Because this is in a fantasy game where it's pretty obvious that Glomdoring slaughters the innocent for their own devices. Where was the outrage when people in the past were face-#$%#ing Gib with dark essence and turning him into the Wyrdling? Are we going to eliminate shadow faelings because they're the product of rape, from what I understand? Are we going to protest the poor horta scene in the Undervault where they're used to breed cavefishers because it's too brutal?

Not saying it's alright, just saying that Glomdoring and parts of Lusternia are known to be brutal. Where do we draw the line?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited August 2017
    Well argued (ETA: Not sarcastic at all - I see your point. My answer to your final question is "Here", but I'm more than happy to agree to disagree). Still triggered. Still would love it if the godmin ever found time to change it, and until then - as you've said - I'll continue to choose to have absolutely nothing to do with this part of commune life.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the admin coming up with some kinda pleasing change with a story behind it, or maybe even some kind of "innocent" that you can sacrifice instead of a baby.

But if you think Glomdoring needs to be turned into some kind of feelgood org that won't sacrifice a baby to get more power, maybe you should go play in whatever org doesn't believe in doing shady stuff to further its goals. Let me know if you figure out which one that is.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    I wish to object to altering the quest. Lusternia is a fantasy game, and fantasy is not always about magical butterflies and unicorns. Glomdoring, lore-wise, has an extremely dark atmosphere, and no, the Wyrd is not above killing children if it contributes to its advancement (mercy isn't supposed to be a thing; it's hardwired into the very name of the forest). Horror and grotesqueries such as this are not unheard of in Glomdoring, and if we were to take away everything in the game that is morally questionable in real life, what even is roleplaying?

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    It also makes me mildly squeamish irl, but it also really puts a bow on Glomdoring being super grimdark. And it's not even that graphic/tasteless.

• edited August 2017
    A misunderstanding.
    Not only that, but you might actually to rp it out. Are you devoted enough to the wyrd to overcome your squeamishness to slaughtering an infant? Is it worth it to you to gain more power? Or do you draw the line at this and simply work harder in other areas, thinking about what could have been?
  • edited August 2017
    See this is the thing. I literally chose Glomdoring in order to explore the darker themes. What I'm saying isn't that the quest is too dark or that Glom should start bleaching up. Or that Versalean wouldn't kill a (human) baby without batting an eyelid. I'm saying that I, the player, cannot engage that part of it. I think I'm expressing myself quite clearly here, and I'm confident that anybody who truly seeks to understand where I'm coming from will arrive there.

ETA: I'm happy to continue playing the game without getting the fingerblade. If there could be another way to get it, awesome. If not I'll carry on as is. I have nothing further to say on this topic.
    Also, like 95% of my characters are virgins, and I'll be damned if I'm used like some kinda commodity just so you can get some kinda finger knife and cut yourself.

/s
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited August 2017
    The OP is "murder isn't disturbing but baby murder is?" I find this argument less than compelling. 

That aside, I think you'll find plenty of sympathy regarding what any one given individual finds personally disturbing, but it seems to make more sense for individuals to remove themselves from those situations rather than changing the game every time someone is triggered.

As an aside, I don't think Glomdoring cares about virginity. The Wyrd isn't sexual. Plus virginity is a social construct, typically to classify women, and Glomdoring definitely has way too strong of a feminist undercurrent to buy into all that.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Without getting too invested in this topic, because I genuinely have no horse in this race, I saw a car with this sticker today in traffic and it felt apropos.

Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited August 2017
    Ooh gurl you got flagged.

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Eclipse19 said:
    Sylandra said:
    Without getting too invested in this topic, because I genuinely have no horse in this race, I saw a car with this sticker today in traffic and it felt apropos.
    [img]
    Those baby on board/pets on board signs aren't to make wankers drive more carefully. They are to alert paramedics and what not in the case of an emergency that there may be an infant or animal nearby also needing attention. But okay...
    I'd say they probably serve both purposes.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Regrettably We have had to close this discussion due to the participation of a user who has now been warned and banned.

However We would like to assure the original poster, and others who have expressed concern regarding the content of the Glomdoring epic, that your concerns have reached the administration. We will ensure that they are taken to those capable of passing judgement on them, and We are grateful to you for taking the time to express them.
This discussion has been closed.