Are there too many settlements (i.e., cities/communes) in Lusternia?

124»

Comments

• Compared to what, bru? I mean, let's accept that a fair few passtimes cost people money. Let's also say for the sake of argument that I've spent £1000 on Lusternia (I haven't). That's far less than a quid an hour. Cheaper than audiobooks. Cheaper than the cinema. Cheaper than condoms. Cheaper than whatever people smoke before they say that Lusty is expensive to really get into. Plus, let's not forget that every now and then there's a promo that allows you to print free money based on the money you already spent.
  • Versalean said:
    Compared to what, bru? I mean, let's accept that a fair few passtimes cost people money. Let's also say for the sake of argument that I've spent £1000 on Lusternia (I haven't). That's far less than a quid an hour. Cheaper than audiobooks. Cheaper than the cinema. Cheaper than condoms. Cheaper than whatever people smoke before they say that Lusty is expensive to really get into. Plus, let's not forget that every now and then there's a promo that allows you to print free money based on the money you already spent.
    Arguably the difference is likely the amounts being asked for.

Elite for example, at a glance, looks to be the most expensive subscription price point for example. It's $10 a month more than my ffxiv sub.

The prices in cash shops seem to be around ten to twenty dollars, ffxiv has some for like... 3/4 (yay swimsuits glamoured onto tank gear for my cat boy.).
    GW2 you can spend that to get new skins unlocked for all of your characters, convert it to money and buy comms off the trading post to craft some of the best gear in the game. The ultra-convenient locations I think are about $30 each.

It's pretty cheap feeling in comparison to a lot of IRE promos where they can start at like $39.99 for 100 credits (and you might need more). Which is before you start looking at the cost of skills and artifacts.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Comparing the price of a MUD (which is entirely free to begin with) and the price of something like FFXIV seems a little disingenuous. Even in WoW, where I can now buy time with in-game gold, I had to buy WoW first. I had to pay the $$$ to get FFXIV and its expansions before the subscription kicked in. I had to pay $0 to purchase Lusternia, and two months of the subscription already have given me more value comparative to a game I haven't even finished purchasing (XIV).
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Also there are ways to generate credits without spending money. You won't get nearly as much, but you can make decent bank, especially if/when bardics and artisanals come back.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Falaeron said:
    I'd argue that all IRE games are terribly expensive to really get into.

Kinda, you can do wellish for the same price as a brand new compuer game 50ish dollars and not need to buy anything more but on the other hand you can also end up spending car level money as well overall.

• edited October 2017
    Tremula said:
    Comparing the price of a MUD (which is entirely free to begin with) and the price of something like FFXIV seems a little disingenuous. Even in WoW, where I can now buy time with in-game gold, I had to buy WoW first. I had to pay the $$$ to get FFXIV and its expansions before the subscription kicked in. I had to pay $0 to purchase Lusternia, and two months of the subscription already have given me more value comparative to a game I haven't even finished purchasing (XIV).
    The comparisons initially used were Audiobooks, Cinema, Condoms, and Smokes, which typically require some money changing hands.

Also, the comments about WoW and XIV entry level are a little out of date really.

Either way, "Value" is always going to be a tricky argument to make because it's pretty subjective.
    Just need to look in this thread, peoples comments show that they place different value on artifacts. I compare Lusternia to XIV and GW2 because I play both, the cost of the XIV sub and their respective expacs are worth the cost to me.

Sylandra said:
    Also there are ways to generate credits without spending money. You won't get nearly as much, but you can make decent bank, especially if/when bardics and artisanals come back.
    This applies in two ways to other games, some have a credit equivalent while others have time tokens, either of which can be traded for currency typically. (XIV doesn't have it yet likely cause it could really break some stuff there)

I also don't think knowing the contests are there has ever changed my perception of the cost of Lusternia. Maybe for people that regularly at least place?
  • edited October 2017
    My comparisons were (obviously) not like-for-like. I'm simply pointing out that 'per hour' Lusternia is pretty damned cheap even if you spend what many people would consider to be a great deal of cash. [Condom comment removed. The joke's dead, bru]

I digress. IRE is not expensive, and particularly not when you literally choose the cost for yourself. I played IREs for over two years before putting a single penny in. There is not one other hobby I have for which I can make that claim. The idea that it's expensive "to really get into" (whatever tf that means) is utterly ridiculous.
  • edited October 2017
    Versalean said:
    My comparisons were (obviously) not like-for-like. I'm simply pointing out that 'per hour' Lusternia is pretty damned cheap even if you spend what many people would consider to be a great deal of cash. [Condom comment removed. The joke's dead, bru]

I digress. IRE is not expensive, and particularly not when you literally choose the cost for yourself. I played IREs for over two years before putting a single penny in. There is not one other hobby I have for which I can make that claim. The idea that it's expensive "to really get into" (whatever tf that means) is utterly ridiculous.

That's your opinion, other people obviously feel that there is a cost barrier "to really get into" Lusternia. Right now you're literally just arguing that your perception is different from someone else's.

Like, I saw some novices a few months back that were freaking out because they couldn't afford plate right out of the portal because someone had told them it was a fundamental necessity. Like... they were convinced they needed it and a full curing set to survive newton...

You could also look at how easily each class can bash/influence as they go up the levels. If someone's having trouble doing either they'd likely feel the need to get credits to get better skills. If someone wants to play with manse design or crafting they might feel a similar pressure (if they can't get access from someone else).

It also comes down to a variety of personality things, like someone that's going to want to max out their class as fast as possible is likely to feel more pressure to buy credits (and therefore hits the expense much more quickly).

EDIT: Part of the above. The perception of cost could also be the fault of other players. Telling people that they need x or y when that has a cost attached helps create the perception of need and in turn expense.
  • Respect your opinion and argumentation, but I think the statement is false by any reasonable metric unless we're arguing pure, sheer semantics-cum-philosophy. Which wouldn't be unusual on these forums. I just really don't think that focusing on all the things you need to tap the plastic for - rather than all the things you don't - is terribly helpful if we want to attract new players. Your mileage may vary!
  • edited October 2017
    I think the argument you're supplying is incorrect at the foundation. You pay for what you want to get out of Lusternia, and for people who want to be at the very top, that's a lot. You can't dispute that. The logic with time:cost ratios involves variables local to each person. The real question is where does the effective experience meet equilibrium with the effective cost in currency/influence metrics, neither of which anyone can supply but the person in question. 

Trying to even establish an argument for, or against, is really a waste of circuitous logic in a vacuum. 
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • And yet I still disagree and think the statement is false. Guess it is what it is.
  • But I didn't use one so I saved for the moment...

Like most games it all depends on the player. Example as follows:
    I've played IRE games 10+ years I've only bought credits for lessons. Once I figure out the class and if I like the character,(which is Retherian on Aet, Lusty) I flesh them out to be the character I designed. I've never needed any artifact to have fun in IRE sure they are fun but all they are is convenient. 
    Summary: 
    I'm a cheap skate and don't tap my plastic