Project Quest

Comments

• This isn't exactly a hard quest, but it's a culturally significant one to dracnari and gives the opportunity to buy a fire wyvern so the reward is already fine. The firespinner quest with Asaami is such a good show and fun task, I'd love to see it get an honours line. It's also not done very often, only 24 times total as of this writing, so it's not like it's going to hand out an honours line to the entire playerbase either. 

/$0.02
  • I think I've asked this before, but is this system IC or OOC? 
  • I do not believe it has ever been explicitly stated one way or another and as such, you shouldn't take my word as gospel on the subject but personally, I would treat it the same way you treat help files and honours - IC with a dash of OOC. Quests, with the use of the system, have been linked to advancement tasks for guilds which gives them another layer of IC. 
  • Would it be possible to add in an option to opt out of it? Maybe a toggle or a laurels type thing.
  • I am very strongly for removing rankings altogether but we'll need to bring it to Est for the final call when she gets back.
  • Drocilla said:
    I am very strongly for removing rankings altogether but we'll need to bring it to Est for the final call when she gets back.
    This seems like a good idea to me. However, I hope that you guys keep the system on your side - it seems like it's a useful means to check whether something is being abused, or if the rewards and quest are mismatched (scanning through rankings of the village quests, for instance, will show you which ones are super easy as compared to their rewards).
  • Icewynd: The effort required to seal the rift seems vastly disproportionate to the effort required to open it...
    beep
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Sealing the rift is the same no matter what the quest state is re: releasing Zenos.  Given that Zenos' eye goes around aeoning entire areas (which are generally midbie populated), it's always felt intentional that it's relatively easy to bottle him up again.
  • @Mrak oh that was always the intention, we don't just delete utility. I meant remove it for players. We tracked down some issues thanks to some rankings.
  • Quest rankings make people accountable for their actions if monitored regularly. They need to stay for players' viewing as well.

• It sort of takes the roleplay and stealth out of doing certain quests if you can get caught doing them with a quick honours like mechanic.

• Playability trumps RP, imo. If you remove the ability to see who's doing the quests via QUEST RANKINGS, the only alternative is to sit there like a hawk watching for it (unfun, even if RP-reasonable) or to just ignore the quests (and cut out the RP from the other side, because it is impossible to get caught) despite them being something that your character might want to RP-wise, keep an eye on.
  • Dys said:
    I always thought quest rankings were OOC. Sneaking around is fun. Automatically getting dobbed in, even for the sneakiest stealth monk, isn't. I don't mind missing out on the 'getting caught RP' that's usually just ENEMY <whoever>.

I'm pretty sure this is the top player use of rankings. (Since guild tasks don't need them to flag for completion anyways...)
    beep
  • Anyways, while a pass is being made over the quests... kind of in reference to #20359, the seemingly erratic reset/respawn times are very frustrating. "If you can't find something, check back 5 minutes later" is very much a thing, for both items you find lying around and for garul spawn triggers (e.g., you can loop through the rooms 10+ times with no result, try again 5 minutes later and now the spawn trigger you need is there...)

This also means that certain things (namely item 41461 and sacks, never had it happen with shards at least) can reset out of your hands mere moments after being picked up.

It would be great if the quest was a little more consistent, instead of things/triggers popping in and out of existence by the minute...
    beep
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    I generally feel that ( though maybe unrelated and better an 'idea' ) silently popping items are a bad thing. It confuses every odd newbie and it requires you to constantly check your inventory if you have lost any. Maybe there could a message ( like them turning to dust, or vanishing or whatever ) when they disappear or some mechanic that the reset timer gets added another 15 mins or so whenever you're actively advancing the quest?
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • edited September 2017
    Oooh, what a great thread. Some initial thoughts:

The St. Gathlyn's Oprhanage dark side quest needs an honors line. It's a little longer/harder and 200% cooler than the light side, which has one already.

I think the Paladin Squire is worthy of an honors line too. It's not very obvious in what to do, and also it is a decent amount of work, including a significant portion of the Tome of Remembrance quest to complete.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Love on the Rocks was a cute little quest that's perfect for an up-and-coming person who wants to learn how our questing system works. I would recommend Hethklyff offer warning on how to use the GLANCE command for the Blasted Lands to avoid death by gravedigger. If he already does and I was just going too fast, apologies.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • (I still haven't figured out how to cook the trout)
  • Quests (Or things that I think are quests) where I started, or learned they exist, and immediately and terminally drove directly into a wall.

-The groundhog spirit quest.  Particularly GROUNDHOGGLINTHOR, wherein the file says to start, revive Glinthor, but doesn't indicate how to begin.  It mentions "interested parties", but if there's a tainted deep throat having meetings in a tainted parking garage, he's not inviting me.

-Reviving adders in Oleanvir valley, which I only know is a thing at all when I went looking for anatine and asked around. If there are clues about this in the valley outside of two dead adders, I'm missing it utterly!  Truth be told, I have no issue with the poison being on a mob which needs to be quest activated, and in fact I find it kind of neat, rather than "go to the forest of venomous rabbits and punch rabbits for poison".  I just wish there were some road signs, or NPC key words that gave me more clues than standing around Oleanvir holding two dead baby adders, trying to hand them to children and blind men.  That's weird.  I'm weird.

-Anything with an entrance that is excessively hidden unless you happen to already know about it, or someone shows you where it is.  I have mixed feelings on this, because on the one hand, in can make the thing almost impossible to start because you can't get there.  On the other, it does stop Johnny McPunchem from wandering in and wiping out quest mobs like gold/xp pinatas, unless he really means to go there.

In general, I've found most of the quests I have done to be interesting and fun.  The hardest part is starting them, or wanting to start them but not having the faintest idea how.  In the case of the aforementioned adders, I even asked a couple of knowledgeable veterans for pointers where to start, and they were as lost as I was.  Or, say, the Feyranti estate quest, which, time eater that it is, I have done twice because it is varied and neat with interesting characters who are all monsters in their own way. But that I wouldn't even know exists if someone hadn't dragged me there in an attempt to get amnesty from the place.

• edited September 2017
    The adder quest is really terribly old, and I think involved some event-based hand holding the first time around. Serenwilde at least still has an explanation of how its done written in some old records. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Basically, you....

Drop the dead adders in the Pool.

Take the eggs that pop out and put them in the Mag zoo.

Get a snake net.

Catch them and take them to (someone) In Serenwilde. Maybe Abeytu?

?

Profit.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • You put them in a secret hidden room in Serenwilde near Abetyu.
    edited October 2017
    Lirangsha quests both could use a solid starting point and maybe quest tracking too?
    IIRC the Goloth side actually does have a solid starting point (once you go into the hidden portion all the way at the bottom).  Something like "Free us! Free us!" -> say "I will free you," then following the text crumbs from there.

Been a while but that is what is coming to mind, at least.
  • Hey guys!

I got back from holidays a week ago and only what started the school year at work so it will be a bit longer till this project is moving forwards again but please do keep leaving your thoughts. They are all being read and added to the project to evaluate.
    There's another one that I'd love to see getting some love:

The forge of klangratch ( blessing / cursing it )

- While thorgal gives you a hint/start as to what to need to do, the quest has several mechanical problems that lock people out of actually doing it. My only successful attempt thus far was after four or five consecutive tries, which all revolved around one particular working not being spawned and thus you're not getting one of the items needed.
    - Items resetting -way- to fast on this quest. This the only one I know where it frequently happens that you get an item and a minute later it resets.
    - It's not tracked at all through questing. Maybe a line at thorgal telling you he'd like to bless the forge / get them out would also be great.
  • That newish mini quest with the Orlach/Viscanti newlyweds on Shallach River, Caithryn (sp?) doesn't acknowledge you've given her enough of the trout after you've given it all to her, and you can't beg them off her to attempt again since she's greedy. Getting more trout and giving them to the groom to make more doesn't work either. So you get stuck.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
    Orventa said:
    That newish mini quest with the Orlach/Viscanti newlyweds on Shallach River, Caithryn (sp?) doesn't acknowledge you've given her enough of the trout after you've given it all to her, and you can't beg them off her to attempt again since she's greedy. Getting more trout and giving them to the groom to make more doesn't work either. So you get stuck.
    Why is this in the thread?  Sounds like a BUG report, no?
  • Because it's the same Love on the Rocks quest that Tremula mentions above could use improving with glance. If they look into adding a Glance Hint, might as well take a look at the trout mechanic too.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)