Unity and You

edited October 2017 in Common Grounds
Okay, so I'd like to bring up a discussion that was kinda had on an OOC clan last night to get more thinking on it. Disclaimer: To be sure, what I'm about to present is my take on RPing things like this Unity event. I am not being an RP elitest or even trying to suggest how you should run your toon. I promise that not one word I write is aimed at any individual, so please don't get defensive.

If the system tells me I've got a broken arm, then I've got a broken arm. If the system tells me that I'm freezing cold, then I'm freezing cold. If the system tells me that I have the urge to leave my manse and SHARE Unity, I equally feel that that is exactly how Versalean feels right now. Equally, if the system is telling me that I am now fully one with Unity (or whatever it actually says) my take is that Versalean, who has given literally everything he is to Wyrd, is now nonetheless under the thrall of whateverthehellUnityis. I figure that when the god who wrote those lines decided to literally start Godmoding (no negative connotation), they fully understood that some characters, acting under their own volition, would stick two fingers (EDIT: sorry, one finger if you're not a Brit) up at Unity and continue to worship Wyrd/Taint/whatever ya'll northerners worship, but that such characters reading those lines were no longer acting fully under their own volition.

Yet I'm seeing some characters continue to resist Unity - many of them are doing so in really interesting, character-appropriate, rule-of-cool ways that I absolutely love, and I've heard some extremely compelling OOC arguments as to why acting out on Unity impulses/indoctrination isn't happening.

I'm really interested in how people are interpreting these godmode lines, so please if you have any opinion, insight or perspective, chip in.

Comments

• The way I've personally been playing with it is treating it like a deranged voice screaming in my head. ICly I've written it off as Glomdoring propoganda, even though this plague is totally out of the reach of Glomdoring. I've gone out of my way to not interact with the dastardly Wyrd who has clearly weaponized the "Swarm" and attacked the Basin. As for the screaming voices/forced emotes it does: I do acknowledge them because they are happening but I write it off ICly as if it were merely Astral Insanity.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I have a couple of things.  First, Crow teaches us to control our urges / desires, not to let them control us.  So Xenthos acknowledges that he has these feelings but nevertheless realizes that they are not something that he must act on.

Then that leads us to the second point.  Once he is not immediately leaping to do the bidding of these emotions, that leaves room for reflection and introspection.  Where are they coming from?  What is their purpose?  And all of that just puts even more of a damper on desire to actually follow through with anything that the "Unity" might want.
  • From an outsider perspective I could totally see @Yasei 野生  's view that this could be a Wyrd thing.

All for one, Unity, evolution if you look at the buzz words it is pretty Wyrden sounded at first glance.

I mean it clearly isnt but yea it sounds pretty Wyrdy.
  • Yeah, I didn't get into that, but it's one of the reasons I couldn't really see any reason for Versa to resist it. I mean, other than the fact that it's notWyrd, it's pretty damned Wyrd.
  • edited October 2017
    Arix hasn't gotten the Unity messages yet (not sure how long it takes to kick in) but he has resisted and weathered such things before with varying degrees of success and will likely treat it as some sort of delusion/outside intrusion. (it's not really based on IC jadedness or cynicism, there's just  been stuff in the past that has helped him deal with specific things like this)
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Share the lines! I'd like to see them.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Trem was one of the Mags who went super crazy with the death train when this first started, because you can never know how something's going to turn out until it does. At the time there weren't any unity messages, and all we knew was that the cage reacted to death. After a while, though, nothing happened, so we stopped and went about our business. Then we discovered that we were feeling euphoric, and then the vitals buff started happening. 

Mag's got a couple people who've been around the bend a few times, and we met and discussed and determined it's likely a plague of some sort but couldn't figure out what was causing it. However, since it was giving us active benefit, there really wasn't a pressing need to sort it out now. As soon as the tentacles started sprouting, though, we were there and trying to see if they were hostile. Now everyone's vomiting pustules, and it looks like things are about to go bottom-side-up.

Tremula personally is used to other people putting feelings in her head, and she's letting herself experience the emotions without fully succumbing to them. I'll admit when it first started she went a little gung-ho with the sharing, but now that things are starting to take a negative turn, she's super cautious and fortifying herself mentally. She doesn't want to lose her sense of self ever again, and she's ready to fight tooth and nail against the first thing she can to prevent it from happening. 
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Share the lines! I'd like to see them.
    The wind up...
    • You feel an odd tugging at your mind, and you sense the Unity growing within you.
    • Others must see the Unity. They must become strong. You must SHARE the unity with them.

Later...
    • You feel yourself coughing something up, and from your chest rises a large glob of flesh and pus, which you immediately vomit onto the ground.
  • Lyssy was fighting the unity. Then when it made he stronger better faster her mind latched onto an idea of "hey, this can serve the Wyrd.... this is a Good Thing
    edited October 2017
    Joining @Versalean since I'm a little further along with her. Expect edits as I check the thread and offer more.

• You know the TRUTH now. You will EVOLVE. You will be ONE.
    • You feel your mind opening to the aether and the voices of many fill your mind. You find it hard to keep track of their words, but the constant you find is a feeling of unity amongst them. You are one. You are one. You are one.

• Symptoms:

You feel an odd euphoria in your body, as if everything was going to be alright.

You feel a shudder through your muscles as they begin to contort and strengthen. As the odd feeling passes, you feel healthier. - Health Buff

Your mind fills with the image of a radiant cage, its bars unfurling as petals of a flower. Within lies a glowing seed, an orb of light, and you feel an ecstatic, almost rapturous sensation as you feel the time for it to be planted grows near. We shall be One. We shall Evolve in Unity.

Yasmina i'Vipere, Maiden of Maladies chants, "The Seed comes. Unity comes."
    Marquessa Ophir i'Vipere, the Iron Muse chants, "The Seed comes. Unity comes."
    You feel an overwhelming urge to act.
    You chant, "The Seed comes. Unity comes."

You feel the need to move. Move toward the Temple of One. Move toward the Seed. You must witness this majesty.

You know the TRUTH now. You will EVOLVE. You will be ONE.

Others must see the Unity. They must become strong. You must SHARE the unity with them.

You feel an odd tugging at your mind, and you sense the Unity growing within you.

You feel your mind opening to the aether and the voices of many fill your mind. You find it hard to keep track of their words, but the constant you find is a feeling of unity amongst them. You are one. You are one. You are one.
    You are afflicted with an unknown affliction.
    Your mind swirls in a fog as you try to remember what you were doing a moment ago.
  • Sylvanas believes it has to do with either Gorgulu or Morgfyre. Either way, it's okay.
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • Having (unintentionally) infected someone who has acted as a voice of reason on top of being an emotional crutch to Xeii, and seen him lose himself to Unity has effectively turned her against it. Coughing up pustules and getting randomly amnesiac isn't endearing it to her either. This clearly has nothing to do with Beauty or Truth, citizens!

"May this be the first of many new experiences for you, Heart of the Crescendo," Czixi says, smile quirking. "The future is an exciting place."

https://estelss16.deviantart.com/, visit if interested.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Aeldra's been pretty much swept over the rug with the euphoria ( partially because she had reason to need it ). Lately though, there are more moments of clarity, poking through of her emotions that have been surpressed by the overwhelming euphoria. She's seeing people cough up bits on their insides... stuff she's not yet comprehending, but her innate wish to keep everyone safe is something that makes her question these pustules and where they come from, though she does have a lot of trouble shaking the euphoria when it grips her and has been known to randomly breaking off mid sentence and dumbly grinning at her peers.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • I ain't gon' front: The pustule spam is beginning to piss me off.

My stockroom:

"pustule314123"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule173708"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule151959"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule293903"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule125206"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule126623"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule136801"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule299757"                         a ghastly pustule
    "pustule185533"                         a ghastly pustule
    "pustule258672"                         a bloated pustule
    Number of matching objects: 10 (out of 243 total)
  • Ordassa is a magnagorean born hallifaxian trill who fled to gaudiguch to  avoid responsibility. This "Truth" & "unity" business sounds like the ghost of maternal nagging...guilt, and more guilt. He copes by seeking out pleasure. Euphoria makes him friendly which he expresses by flirting with every other male in sight when the mood hits. he knowns that this is a plague & does his best to ignore it
  • Tridemon's one of the ones who is just plain annoyed by the whole thing. The pustules and tendrils are ugly and remind him of the Soulless, and the clamoring in his brain for Unity is irritating- At least when Grimbach and Dumaliel tried the whole psychic presence thing they had something INTERESTING to say. It's a bit like the Goloth Maxyenka but no one's found the bloody off switch.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • Versalean said:
    I ain't gon' front: The pustule spam is beginning to piss me off.

My stockroom:

"pustule314123"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule173708"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule151959"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule293903"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule125206"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule126623"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule136801"                         a bloated pustule
    "pustule299757"                         a ghastly pustule
    "pustule185533"                         a ghastly pustule
    "pustule258672"                         a bloated pustule
    Number of matching objects: 10 (out of 243 total)
    Between me and Ejderha, we have 21 (and counting) of these feckers in the fulcrux of our manse.

On the topic of the Unity, Ani is skeptical. She feels the feelings of oneness and unity, but also knows that hearing voices isn't always a good sign either, nor coughing up things (Like, how did they get in me?!(As a player, it reminds me of Alien things.)) but that's the only bits she's concerned about, and yet doesn't feel like seeking an answer, because she's sure we'll all understand in time when we 'Evolve'. 

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    WHY ARE YOU KEEPING THEM 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:
    WHY ARE YOU KEEPING THEM 
    Can you even get rid of them?!
    You’re storing them in your stockrooms and fulcruxes. Surely they don’t reset to those places? I wouldn’t know because Daraius is in standard plague quarantine protocol.
    I used to make cakes.

edited October 2017
    Daraius said:
    You’re storing them in your stockrooms and fulcruxes. Surely they don’t reset to those places? I wouldn’t know because Daraius is in standard plague quarantine protocol.
    You feel yourself coughing something up, and from your chest rises a large glob of flesh and pus,
    which you immediately vomit onto the ground.

On a ruined marble deck.                               (#MIDNIGHTPEARL_1)
    There are 13 bloated pustules here. You see a sign here instructing you to use the PORTAL command to enter the aetherplex system.

Once they're there, they're there. No magic can of pustule-b-gone or else my ship would be safe-zoned.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    On that note don’t look at the Matrix. >_>
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Got it. I thought they became inventory items, but no. They’re decor.  :s
    I used to make cakes.

• Sylandra said:
    On that note don’t look at the Matrix. >_>
    If only people obeyed the law and didn't hang out in the city when they have a disease (regardless of if it has only been good so far).
  • I have usually played my character as very level-headed and restrained, so it's actually kind of fun to go full insane and UNITY on everyone. My excuse will be that negative emotions are easier to fight than positive ones.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • Basically, Ling > Aramel.