Vae Victis! A Roman Mafia Game. CLODIUS AND EMPERORS WIN!

Comments

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Yarith makes a good point. I've had a quiet two nights, so any targeted powers were not ones I'd be able to detect.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Vivet's power, and Cyndarin's day-only action, should their prior statement of having no night actions be true, leads me to believe that there are several powerful, though sparingly available day powers remaining in play between all factions present in this game.

This seems unusual to me.

By design, the setup requires 2n + 1 actions for the town to beat the crisis and if I understand correctly, if Cyndarin has no night action they cannot fight against the crisis. Working on the assumption that there are 4 mafia (with night actions), and one will always try to kill, town would have to sacrifice 7 night actions in order to overcome it.

Either town is, by design, meant to rely on third parties to beat back the crisis/town is supposed to lose the crisis scenarios, or we have a large body of one-off night actions/a large body of night actors, else town would not be able to beat the crisis and gain ground at the same time. Further, it is my hunch that no crisis can directly follow another, or one member of the mafia has to instigate it at the expense of an action. 

That is my take on the scenario, feel free to correct me at any point.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • I should clarify, in the first line I meant 'though sparingly available night powers', which expending would remove the town member from being able to fight the crisis. 
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Shaddus said:
    I don't think you folks get it. I'M THE TOWN INVESTIGATOR, AND YOU'RE ABOUT TO LYNCH ME. Yarith is some kind of third party investigator that got lucky on his first night, and is using it to keep himself alive and get rid of pivotal roles. Yeah, I probably shouldn't have outed Ushaara. I get it. But my role doesn't say whether he's town or not, only what his role's power is. I'd rather prove I'm safe and possibly out a fellow townie -or- out a third party than get lynched just because I didn't instantly jump on the Sidd-Train with Yarith.

The thing is @Shaddus, that could be true

But if it it, @Yarith will be dead the day after and as long as they keep killing mafia

You are not being killed because you did not jump on the lynch. Youa re on the list because Yarith said

"That is, of course, upon the elimination of Shaddus, who is also a member of the rebel body. At first I was suspicious at the randomly thrown out three word question, but the loose and vague defence of Sidd tipped me towards an investigation, which turned up positive for being a rebel agent."

And I think Yarith has put themselves on the line and proved themselves already. If Yarith does get us to kill the town investigator, then we shall all frown and go get out best lynching gear. While she keeps getting rebels we shall cheer and feast. And take note of the names that defend those that she identifies.

And if you are a rebel, then Rome still has a list to work through.

Veni, vidi, vici
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
    Probably Kistan but that only has one s
  • I too can confirm two quiet nights
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Sylandra said:
    Has @Vatul posted today?

Think @Ordassa hasn’t posted either.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited November 2017
    Ordassa has resigned. We are looking for a substitute player. If nobody volunteers by the end of the day phase, he will be modkilled.

Vote Count
    Sylandra(1)
    Shaddus 5-Yarith, Ess, Sylandra, Kaimanahi, Ushaara
    12 Players remain! 7 Votes required to lynch!
    One less vote to lynch Sylandra!
    Day 3 ends at 12:30 PM EST on November 3rd!

"Pomona loves the orchard;
    And Liber loves the vine;
    And Pales loves the straw-built shed
    Warm with the breath of kine;
    And Venus loves the whispers
    Of plighted youth and maid,
    In April's ivory moonlight
    Beneath the chestnut shade.

But thy father loves the clashing
    Of broadsword and of shield:
    He loves to drink the steam that reeks
    From the fresh battlefield:
    He smiles a smile more dreadful
    Than his own dreadful frown,
    When he sees the thick black cloud of smoke
    Go up from the conquered town."

-Thomas Babington Macaulay, The Prophecy of Capys

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    (@Portius you're missing my vote on Shaddus)
    Your mod may have copied the wrong vote count over. But it's fixed now!
  • (I'm on a weird schedule this week, so catching up - Plus Halloween Recovery, so forgive me for being slow.)

I will just come out right and say that I am loyal to Rome, I remained undeclared because I was busy with my lottery. The deaths are rather unfortunate, though I am sure that @Yarith can investigate me to confirm my role if he believes that I am part of this rebel conspiracy. I may be crazy, and give people strange rewards from time to time. But for the good of Rome, I will give up my safety as town to prove my innocence. Though, I would like to hold off on revealing my power unless it's absolutely necessary - but I can tell you that it is a night power. If any declared town approach me, or if I get blocked during the night with no action - to test my loyalty, that's fine too. You just have to let me know.

I don't want to be lynched for my innocence. The people that are including me in those lists however, seem to believe that I have something to hide since I have remained undeclared for so long.

I received/saw/heard nothing last night, especially during the crisis - this means I have two quiet nights. And I refrained from using my power one of those nights. The contention of @Shaddus claim is suspicious to me. But I will be adding my vote to the lot.

Proscribe: Shaddus.
    The cool night-time breeze shivers in the arid caress of the streets of the capital city, brushing the earthen taste of dust across your lips.
    A blessed silence falls upon the city for the moment, most activity confined to the towers and the
    theatre due to the snowy weather.
    Pinprick points of light twinkle in the deep black overhead, their brightness full of a cold,
    hungering malice.
    Ordassa has resigned. We are looking for a substitute player. If nobody volunteers by the end of the day phase, he will be modkilled.

Vote Count
    Sylandra(1)
    Shaddus 6-Yarith, Ess, Sylandra, Kaimanahi, Ushaara, Vatul

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Proscribe: Shaddus

I think today has run its course
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Since we're in Twilight right now, I'd like to point out that I was willing to vote the entire time, and specifically didn't to avoid ending the day. Been doing post-op stuff today, though, so Cyndy beat me to the punch.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    Vote Count
    Sylandra(1)
    Shaddus 7-Yarith, Ess, Sylandra, Kaimanahi, Ushaara, Vatul, Cyndarin

BY ORDER OF THE SENATE AND PEOPLE OF ROME, SHADDUS IS PROSCRIBED!
    BY ORDER OF YOUR MOD, ORDASSA IS MODKILLED!
    --------

Another day, another proscription. Ambitious men roam through the city's streets, hunting for Shaddus. You all take the opportunity to watch them work.

The find him surrounded by a throng of slaves and poor provincials, screaming for liberty, equality, and justice against the abuses of the aristocracy. The battle is joined. Shaddus is in the thick of it, spitting fire and urging his rebels to victory. He fails, and he falls into captivity. There's a cross with his name on it.

You all watch the workers nail him down with a certain degree of satisfaction. Suddenly, Ordassa has a heart attack. It dampens the mood as you all go back to your homes.

-----

Shaddus was Eunus!

If the stories are to be believed, you were a slave in Sicily who could breath fire from his mouth, received prophetic visions, and led the First Servile War against Rome. The last part is certainly true, at least.

Few details about you survived, but we do know a little bit about your character. You were a performer as a slave, mostly doing sleight of hand and fire-breathing. You had a great patter, too. You'd ask your master's guests for money. If they paid up, you'd promise to spare their lives when the revolution came. You kept your word.

Didn't do you much good. Your rebellion failed, and it didn't make you even a half as famous as Spartacus.

Let's hope you can do better this time!

Rebel: You oppose the Roman government. You win when the rebels control a majority of the vote.

Prophet: Your goddess, who many equated with Demeter, sends you visions about your enemies. At night, you may target another player and find out their power. [Power cop]

Servile War: You lead a slave rebellion. Well, mostly slaves. There are some poor peasants in there as well. Crisis event. If successful, the next day phase is subject to mob mentality. The player with the most votes will be lynched. No lynch will not be available as a vote. If there is a tie for the most votes, you will get to choose who dies. This includes if everyone has 0 votes. The town will know that this is in effect.

Your safeclaim is Nerva.

Ordassa was Augustus!

Ah, Augustus. You found Rome a city of bricks, and you left it a city of marble. You excel at dealing with crises and coming out stronger. Well, your minions do. You have some great minions. They don't get nearly as much credit as they deserve.

You were the nephew and heir of Julius Caesar. You used that connection and a great deal of violence to become the first emperor of Rome. Your critics might have called it a shameless power grab, but it had to be done. Hadn't they seen the state of the republic? The government hadn't functioned properly in years. Besides, the people came to love you in the end.

Imperator: You were an emperor of Rome, and you will see the eternal city triumph over her enemies. You win with the town!

Pater Patriae: The father of the fatherland does not desert his child in troubled times. If a crisis is in play, you may take an action to support it without spending either of your other powers.

Agrippa: Agrippa is your faithful ally and a marvelous minion. When you support a crisis, you may choose to do so a second time. You may not use this power on two consecutive nights.

Maecenas: Your minister of culture always keeps an ear to the ground. During the day when a crisis is in play, you may privately message me to learn to effect that failing that crisis will have. You may only use this power once.

------

It is now Night 3. Send in your night actions.
    Night 3 ends at 6PM EST on November 2nd.
    Night 3 is over! Night messages will start to go out shortly!
    edited November 2017
    Day 4

You were all so looking forward to celebrating the Vulcanalia, when the pagans build bonfires and throw fish into them. Alas, it was not to be. You awake before dawn, stirred from your rest by the sounds of a riot. That's probably not good.

As you pass by the proscription lists on your way to investigate, you notice that Sylandra's name is on top. Odd. You didn't put her there. You don't have much time to ponder the matter before you see her carcass getting carted through the streets by a mob. Fortunately, they ignore you all as they make their way to the Curia Hostilia, which was made of wood. The crowd burns her mute corpse inside the building. It does not survive.

Looks like you're going to have to find a new place to meet!

-----------

Sylandra was Clodius Pulcher!

(I don't believe any images of Clodius survive, or that there are arts of him. So you get a generic painting of Troy burning, complete with watermark. Pretend that it's Rome.)

If crazy was money, you'd be the richest man in history. Fortunately, you never got to be an emperor. Normally, I'd paint a broad picture of your career, but yours was insane. I'm just going to give you the highlight reel.

When you were in the army, you led a mutiny against your brother-in-law because he didn't respect you enough.

When you were captured by pirates, the guy who was asked to pay your ransom offered so little money that the pirates laughed and let you go for free. This left you with an eternal grudge, because he really should have offered more for you. You're worth it. At least you think you are.

When you got released, you led another mutiny. Nobody really knows why. Maybe you just liked mutiny?

You allegedly seduced both of your sisters.

Once upon a time, there was a religious ceremony that only took women. They even removed statues of men from the host's house, and blindfolded paintings that they couldn't move. You dressed as a woman to go seduce Julius Caesar's wife, who was hosting it. You got caught, and only escaped conviction through political corruption. This left you with an eternal grudge against the prosecutor.

So eventually you had him exiled and all of his property confiscated. You bought his house, burned it down, and refused to build anything on the site.

Your death follows the same pattern. You and yet another rival were leading armed gangs of slaves and gladiators through the streets and happened to meet. You died. Your followers rioted and cremated you in the senate building. Which was made of wood.

Clodius: You love nobody except yourself and possibly every woman that you ever met. What you do have is hate. Lots of it. You hate everyone who ever wronged you. You win if, at the end of the game, everyone who ever voted for you is dead, even if you are dead. If nobody votes for you at all, you win as a survivor.

Best Served Burning: Revenge is your favorite thing. Your second favorite thing? Fire. Once per night, you may arson prep a player who voted for you during the previous day phase. When you die, everyone who you have so targeted dies. [Arson/bomb hybrid]

Your safeclaim is Galba.

----------

Day 4 begins now!
    9 Players remain! 5 Votes required to lynch!
    Day 4 ends at 6:30 PM EST on November 5th!

What race of men is this? What land is so barbarous as to allow this custom?
    Virgil, Aeneid, 1.539-1.540
    We're probably looking for a replacement player for Yasei. I am just waiting for confirmation that he wants to drop out. If that is the case, he will be modkilled at the end of the day if there are no replacements. If I misunderstood, I'll post again to tell you to ignore this message.
    Well I'm a bit confused as to how Sylandra died since it doesn't look like a regular mafia kill, but am not going to worry too much about it.

I blocked Ess

• And I was indeed blocked!

Though from what I do not understand

With a wall like that i would hope for Hadrian?
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Man, what a troll role. Just out of curiosity, I went back and saw that Shaddus is the only one who voted for Sylandra, so I guess... she wins? For the rest of us, think we dodged a messy one there.

So only one night kill last night with no apparent crisis. With Ushaara's block, that makes me a bit suspicious of Ess.

Oi Yarith, feed us the next rebel scum! :D
    To confirm: Sylandra's win condition is inevitable. She will win at the end of the game, but it's independent from other win conditions. So other people can win alongside her.
  • I checked that as well for Sylandra

I would say that my name has been teh first behind Yariths at almost every opportunuity.

I did think that you were Hadrian but i note Hadrain was dead. Is it overly generous to let the town have two blockers?
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
    Freaking weird win condition. All she had to do was exist? Troll role. 

I'm not convinced the mafia kill Sylandra. Doesn't line up with last night's kill at all. Looks like someone ordered a mob to kill her, so maybe some kind of vigilante kill (like an emperor who has the ability to command the mob...I think there's some Gladiator quote about that). 

So Ess is numero uno on my list.

Aha.

"Rome is the mob." -Senator Gracchus
  • Ushaara is a copycat, they copy the power of the first person to die, which was Hadrian

As Shaddus revealed to everyone, I am a Copycat. I inherited Hadrian's power when he died. I assume Portius flipped a coin as to whether I inherited Tracker or Blocker.

But jumping behind Yarith's votes isn't proof of innocence when there are multiple mafia/3p factions as Sylandra's role has ably demonstrated.

I figured you were a possible candidate for the pillaging killer, and we're not seeing any pillaging this day which increases my suspicion.
  • Say I shall set your mind at ease then?

Sadly my power is quite dull, especially with the success of Yarith at pulling out traitors

I am a popular emperor, no Augustus but who is! Vespasean, last of the the five emperors in Rome's bloodiest year.

I brought peace and stability and am popular with the people and those that hold the reins of power. As such I can once ever ask for them to throw their weight behind my vote.

And yet we have not had to do so. Perhaps other people's actions will shed more light?
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    And yeah, I'm not sure about the kill fluff in this game. Previously we saw:
    N1 Makaela - decapitated
    N1 Dys - stabbed in the back
    N2 Vivet - decapitated
    N3 Sylandra - mobbed?

The inconsistency is a bit puzzling. Though also perhaps to consider is that Sylandra had some supposed odd interactions this game. Maybe this was a rouse, but she claimed to have experienced jeering by angry peasants on Night 1. Then she claimed she saw a cross shining down on her another time. Maybe there's not much to make out of that, but, if anyone has seen anything similarly, that may be cause for concern.
    Ess said:

I brought peace and stability and am popular with the people and those that hold the reins of power. As such I can once ever ask for them to throw their weight behind my vote.

Explain this. Does this mean you have double vote weight?