Online D&D campaign

KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
edited August 2017 in The Real World
Ok, long story short, I'm looking for up to 5 people interested in starting a D&D group with me DM'ing.  Depending on availability of those who participate it will either be run through Discord, Tabletop Simulator (requires purchasing through steam) or Roll20 if we run live sessions; or on the forums if it is run on a post-by-post basis (pacing will vary depending on when people make their posts/rolls)

Games will be run primarily using the 3.5e ruleset (I can't stand 5th and only use 4th in a pinch), but some monsters will be customised from templates from the D&D Monster Manual.  Anyone who is interested is welcome to sign up regardless of experience - a web campaign is ideal for new players since it allows time for questions to be forwarded to the DM.

If you are interested, please leave a post here, or drop me a message.

--Participants--
Kagato (DM)
Sidd (Interested, pending confirmation)
Shaddus (Potentially interested, pending confirmation)
Marcella (Potentially interested, pending confirmation)
--OPEN--
--OPEN--
Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

Comments

• I'm interested
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm kinda interested. Steam or Discord is fine with me. What sort of timeframe are we looking at?

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Timeframe really depends on peoples availability and whether it is a real-time campaign (Discord/R20/TTS) or in the forums, plus how much free time people have.  I will likely try to run campaigns on Saturday or Sunday afternoons Pacific time (I'm moving from Tennessee back to California on the 5th).  Ideally I will keep campaigns fairly small - if we run in real-time and don't do too much rule-lawyering, I'd like to finish a campaign every 3 or so weeks at most, with occasional 'one-shot' campaigns.

Marcella has talked to me about possibly using pathfinder - I'm not overly familiar with the nuances of that, so the first campaign at least will be 3.5 while I have time to study up on that and might possibly convert over afterwards.

• Kagato said:

Marcella has talked to me about possibly using pathfinder - I'm not overly familiar with the nuances of that, so the first campaign at least will be 3.5 while I have time to study up on that and might possibly convert over afterwards.
    Pathfinder is like D&D 3.75 - there's some simplification of things (like Perception replacing Spot, Search, Listen, etc.), but it's functionally very similar. Also, because it's based on the OGL, with a little effort and the very useful conversion guide, you can convert existing resources - so for example, if you have all five (I think?) Monster Manuals from D&D 3.5, you can port them over. 
  • I am interested if it is completely text based and would prefer d20 over the alternatives and 3.5 over pathfinder.
    Hrm, wasn't actually aware that the perception 'merge' was in pathfinder - have been doing that for some time already in local campaigns to save on extra, arbitrary dice rolls.

• never played d&d but I cant do steam. I am game
  • edited August 2017
    I would very much like to join as well! Sad that you don't enjoy 5e; I'm a part of several campaigns now and am absolutely loving the edition so far. To each their own! Prefer to use Roll20 if possible...

EDIT: I've never played the 3.5e before, though I am familiar with the process of D&D in general. Are there a recommended set of books to read through first for a new player to get used to the rules?

If you can track down an online copy of the 3.5 Player's Handbook, it will be invaluable.

• Pathfinder= DnD 3.5 E 
  • Hmmm.....
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim: