What could I have done better?

2»

Comments

• Mrak said:

it doesn't seem like we have a great means of killing in small groups beyond chasm
    If we have lots of geos, that could mean lots of fast heart bursting action. Unfortunately TK doesn't seem to be the choice of the other Magnagoran mages.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Daedroth said:
    Mrak said:

it doesn't seem like we have a great means of killing in small groups beyond chasm
    If we have lots of geos, that could mean lots of fast heart bursting action. Unfortunately TK doesn't seem to be the choice of the other Magnagoran mages.
    Sadly, I think many people find TK a little cumbersome to set up and use. While it's a very interesting skillset in on itself, it's also one of the more dated ones and one that, personally, struggles a little with it's flair and versatility ( compare runes or dreamweaving for that ). Many a melder also prefers to have runes simply because of the raw affliction source.

Generally, secondary melders have always been a problem since I've gotten into PK as to their usefulness/versatility as many of their abilities are tied to having the meld. I've personally have gotten a lot of joy out of being chem and switching to meld on demand, though that requires you to have a cheap way of switching, which bears a rather hefty cost in ability.

Maybe if you'd map out the different tertiary kills, you might be able to figure out how to support each others kills. Runists can support each other very well, as can dream weavers. TK and Runists may have some synergies and TP and Dreamweaving synergize very well ( Though I doubt anyone's trying to get anywhere with TP, TP feels a lot more dated then TK does ).
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Mrak said:
    (and Nekotai is unupdated on the wiki)
    Fixed.
  • https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/4l_rFi9M

By my count:
    mmf and I have issues with upkeeping insomnia and kafe. Hopefully I can improve that.

I could have hat tipped at various points.

There were a couple of windows I could have used truehearing and tumbled, like 12:55-56 and 12:58-13:00

I should have been toaded 5 seconds earlier (and 2 seconds earlier) anyway, and I'm effectively dead at 13:01.

Diagnose is killing me. My mmf is set at 2 unknowns and autocuring at 1. I don't know what the right tradeoff is - because autocuring doesn't account for secondary lines, one has to have coded up all those secondary lines with the guessing system or diagnose in reaction to the unknown affliction line. This seems like an unfortunate and unaccounted for side effect of the shift to SSC, and it particularly favors classes that give hidden affs and/or blackout. 

My teammates probably should have gusted me.

What else?
  • I think having SSC guess aeon is the only recourse you have for hidden aeon - because otherwise it fails catastrophically in the face of hidden aeon.

• I thought that at first based on the spam at 13:05, but then noticed that I hadn't actually gotten a "you move sluggishly" note from the last twist by that point. If you look, the next action SSC does is to cure asthma which is the right thing to do. I think whatever fix was included for hidden aeon is actually fairly good. At the very least it's not hitting the catastrophic failures that happened immediately after its introduction.
  • Diagnose is killing you. I would recommend turning off mmf diagnose completely (or turning the threshold up really high). MMF and AC think different things about your affs, partly because MMF doesn't capture the cure lines from Autocuring. In some of those cases, Autocuring knew you had Aeon but MMF was interrupting because it didn't know. I would put MMF up high and increase the AC threshold, then work on adding some AC GUESS code based on symptoms AC doesn't pick up or telegraphs from abilities you can predict. There are at least two cases I saw where you could have predicted Aeon from Twist and did not, wasting time on other cures before AC caught up.

I know you spent a lot of time entangled or under aeon, but there were times you had ex and did not do much in terms of offense (you've already noted your escape attempt didn't cure attraction first). You lost balance several times to that stupid song, if you were chasing balance on offense/escape it might not have hurt you as much as it did.

2v1 you are going to lose that fight anyway if you can't get away. No offense to Vatul, but P5 was not useful there - Tarken is happy to remain in the room while they have the upper hand. Gust, fugue, deathsong, web, almost anything else would have been a better choice.

Since your commands aren't echoed to the buffer, it's hard to see what you're trying to do, but at one point you're pretty locked (aeon, asthma, anorexia) and your commands are interrupting autocuring attempting to cure the anorexia. You might not have made it out anyway, but whatever commands you put in also didn't help you escape, so they sealed your doom.

Just my .02, I'm just some dude, but hope it helps.
  • edited February 2018
    Yeah, advice taken on diagnose.

I'm not doing much other than trying to thread the needle to escape. Ex-post I also realized I could have fleshstoned and probably would have saved myself. (Alas, yet another thing I have which I don't remember to use.) Other than that, I don't know what offense could have been useful - it would be impossible to land a chasm, I suspect web would have a near 0 effect on the outcome, and any of these things just removes the balance I need to escape when I get the chance. Suggestions are welcome here.

I definitely don't expect to win a 2v1, I just hope to feel like I have a chance of getting away.
  • edited February 2018
    Make an alias for leap/tumble variants which send 'truehearing' in a stack with tumble/leap. If you already have this I don't know what else there is to do. Some people are just too heavy to ever suggest gust as being an acceptable counterplay. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure you would have just died or been p5'd in the next room and died.

Shadowdancer means you'll never get chasm because of shadowdance scourge. Honestly, if you don't have a viable supplementary kill method, there's no point in you going up, since your kill potential diverges from unity at a stupidly fast rate.

Phantomspheres are good, but not if the person is sticky. 

(I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • I have the first thing, using truehearing/movement/wonderwings/tumble sequentially (look at mmf denying me at 12:48.5). Even if the SD wasn't there, Tarken is sticking pacifism with dramaturgy nowadays, so chasm is doubly useless. 

There were a couple of other mags up there, my view was that I could hold the meld and support with phantom spheres which usually works okay to either kill them or force one to run. Unfortunately it requires not being trapped and gutted.
  • edited February 2018
    I find, particularly in small instances of combat, it becomes increasingly difficult to kill a person with damage, especially with the advent of anti-damage meta artifacts which are especially good as team sizes get smaller. You could do your best not to stay in the room (Which you were trying to do, alas), I think that's really as much as you can go for in that situation, using the tools you have at your disposal. 
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • 09:13:07.988 Tarken turns his attention towards you.

Remember to always include something that lets you know that whatever follows is essentially an illusion. Just in case you have something third-party that might accidentally catch that - he's faking a blank note with it.

• Mrak said:
    I have the first thing, using truehearing/movement/wonderwings/tumble sequentially (look at mmf denying me at 12:48.5). Even if the SD wasn't there, Tarken is sticking pacifism with dramaturgy nowadays, so chasm is doubly useless. 

There were a couple of other mags up there, my view was that I could hold the meld and support with phantom spheres which usually works okay to either kill them or force one to run. Unfortunately it requires not being trapped and gutted.
    For the mmf denying thing, what I do is have a conditional that checks if slowcuring mode is on. If it is, it sends the 'best' single command chance I have to escape bracketed with commands that turn off the mmf blocking for that command.

example (not exactly how I have it set up, but to give you an idea):

if not mm.inslowcuringmode() then

send("sm add <list of escape attempts you can do in order from 'free' to 'costly'>")

else

mm.config.set("blockcommands", "off")
        send("sm add <your single best escape method for use under aeon>")
        mm.config.set("blockcommands", "on")

end

• Um. I think it denying me was probably a good thing there, since it cured aeon less than a second later and I was in perfect fifth anyway. You're right that it could be useful to force through an escape command ahead of curing aeon in some situations.

@Maligorn while I didn't know that a few days ago due to the lack of dramaturgists, it has since been explained to me. As far as I can tell it isn't tricking mmf in the case of earache (except for maybe right before I die?) but it is incorrectly triggering deathsong warnings. Is there lua code to not pass the next line to the trigger engine?