Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Yeah.

And we totally survived that, too!  Fun times to be had.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Kio said:
    Hmm.  I think I've used fireessence correctly in this design, but is it okay to leave a comment when I submit it explaining the reasoning?  I'm just afraid the wording might be too strong for the effect intended.  Actually, I'll just ask for a little feedback, mhmm:

Two rubies have been infused with fireessence and embedded into the steel. The surface of these bestial eyes shimmer like dying embers, casting their violent gaze upon the wearer's enemy.

(From HELP TRADEMASTER)
    Fireessence
    * Make an object seem warm to the touch (not hot)
    * Make an object shimmer slightly as if it is hot

Aye, aye?

edit: Also, when referencing the wearing as a personal pronoun, is it correct to use "his" or "her," or "his or her?"  I don't want to sound sexist, but I'm creating a piece meant only for me and I don't like the sound of both of them.  I'm trying my best to avoid having to use a personal pronoun, but it's not going so hot at the moment!
    I think your use of fireessence sounds reasonable. Also, don't be gender specific. Use 'their' or 'his or her', never just his or just her, as it may be worn by either (despite the figure you design it for!)

• Aye.  That's just proper, after all.  Thankies!
  • I am certain that the last three people I unenemied were trolling me. The weirdest/most appropriate reply messages. 

I giggled. I was weirded out. I promptly logged out in protest. 

• Lavinya said:

Kio said:

Hmm.  I think I've used fireessence correctly in this design, but is it okay to leave a comment when I submit it explaining the reasoning?  I'm just afraid the wording might be too strong for the effect intended.  Actually, I'll just ask for a little feedback, mhmm:

Two
    rubies have been infused with fireessence and embedded into the steel. The
    surface of these bestial eyes shimmer like dying embers, casting their violent
    gaze upon the wearer's enemy.

(From HELP TRADEMASTER)
    Fireessence
    * Make an object seem warm to the touch (not hot)
    * Make an object shimmer slightly as if it is hot

Aye, aye?

edit: Also, when referencing the wearing as a personal pronoun, is it correct to use "his" or "her," or "his or her?"  I don't want to sound sexist, but I'm creating a piece meant only for me and I don't like the sound of both of them.  I'm trying my best to avoid having to use a personal pronoun, but it's not going so hot at the moment!

I think your use of fireessence sounds reasonable. Also, don't be gender specific. Use 'their' or 'his or her', never just his or just her, as it may be worn by either (despite the figure you design it for!)

I'm pretty sure just using "his" is alright, as English is a male-neutral language. Their is technically a plural.
  • I was taught that in cases where you are struggling with gender, you should rework the sentence to not have a pronoun. Don't use his, hers, or their.

Eventru is right, though, "their" is definitely incorrect, as it is plural. Using his/hers is correct but often undesirable if you don't want to imply gender.

It's hard to say without seeing the sentence in question, but an example:

Wrong: The pants fit snuggly on their waist.
    Correct but undesirable: The pants fit snuggly on his waist.
    Best: The pants fit snuggly on the waist.

You can often eliminate the pronoun using a, the, or "one" in some cases.
  • Begone with ye prescribed grammar! The use of "their" as a gender neutral, 3rd-person plural pronoun is accepted in vernacular use, and was historically used up until the standardisation of english grammar.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I think some sources say it's acceptable, though best to avoid it as it strays from common usage and people may mistakenly call it 'ungrammatical'.
  • Alban said:
    I was taught that in cases where you are struggling with gender, you should rework the sentence to not have a pronoun. Don't use his, hers, or their.

Eventru is right, though, "their" is definitely incorrect, as it is plural. Using his/hers is correct but often undesirable if you don't want to imply gender.

It's hard to say without seeing the sentence in question, but an example:

Wrong: The pants fit snuggly on their waist.
    Correct but undesirable: The pants fit snuggly on his waist.
    Best: The pants fit snuggly on the waist.

You can often eliminate the pronoun using a, the, or "one" in some cases.
    Really all three are wrong, it's 'snugly'
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    "One" can work, but usually makes writing sound stilted. I tend to agree that rewriting to avoid the pronoun altogether is the best option.

But maybe Lusternia can lead the charge in popularizing "thon" as the gender-neutral pronoun of choice. 

B-)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited May 2013
    Sidebar: I'm actually really terrible at spelling/grammar, I just know tricks from reading Strunk and White. >_>
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Though "technically" against the rules, "they/them/their" is more and more an acceptable pronoun for undefined singular, because there is a conscious, intentional shift away from English being a male-neutral language. Male pronouns for the undefined singular haven't been used regularly for decades, with academic and scholarly writers having found other ways, mostly through the use of "one", to talk about an undefined singular. So while the plural pronouns are still technically incorrect, they are less incorrect than the male-gendered pronouns.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Yea. There's no getting around the pronoun without botching the image in my head. Tried for about an hour, then settled for "his or her." It makes my insides queasy to think of using "their" as a singular pronoun in this case, but that's probably because of a few particular teachers I've had growing up.

Either way, I'll live. I think it turned out just the way I wanted it to, and soon I'll be running around as Darth Bear.
  • If you can give an example of where you use "his or her", then I think it'd be easier to suggest alternatives.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I don't mind using "his or her" if I'm only using it once. If I read something like this; "The crown sits on his or her head, with a long veil trailing down his or her back that ends at his or her waist," then it's really terrible on my brain.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Mhmm. It's only one instance. As for alternatives, I appreciate the offer, but hopefully it'll be approved already when I get home! *fingers crossed*
  • Yeah... singular "their" works better. 

I can pull up various random articles all pointing out how the use of "they" as a singular pronoun has been in use for centuries (apparently the singular "they" has been in the oxford dictionary since 1526 while the singular "their" has been in it since the 1300's), there's one that I've read discusses how there would only be confusion if you deliberately removed context, and there are comments that even people who are against the singular "they" in writing will likely use it in speech.

Even searching for arguments on why it would be incorrect just brings up different articles on why it's fine, and some raise the issues with a gender-neutral "he" such as it potentially being considered dated as well as potentially sexist.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Reading through RP logs, it's stunned me just how many times Mork will simply say nothing and nod silently.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    When did QSC's layout change?

It now has little +es in the corners.
  • Couple of days ago, to mirror STAT and IR.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I was away for weeks and now my snow phoenix died, however I am more upset that Pyrochem isn't out yet. Weep.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

Morkarion said:
    Some people need to learn how Astral node regen works.

Sagittarius and Virgo have been dead now for 5 real life days, give them a breather people.
    Make that 11 real life days, poor Sagittarius, you'll never grow up to be a real node =(

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited May 2013
    I've never really enjoyed astral bashing or saw the appeal. You don't get gold (which I care about more than essence), and it has an extra method of attrition in addition to WP/endurance (insanity), and it's open PK. Insanity just basically forces you to sit around doing nothing for a while.

And it requires moving around too much. You spend too much time not actually bashing anything, just linking then moving to find the mob.
  • Heh. That's not true at all. Mork, Xenthos, Ankastra, and I sat at a node while Mork linked with standard up. Between he and Xenthos keeping him alive, we just sat there and let the mob track to us while he linked. I got at least 30% of level 93 taken care of in about 45 minutes all together. While I was sitting out insanity, I worked on some bookkeeping and scripting I'd been putting off.

Plus, if anyone barge in on us, we'd have three warriors and a monk beating on them. No bigs.
    Alban said:
    I've never really enjoyed astral bashing or saw the appeal. You don't get gold (which I care about more than essence), and it has an extra method of attrition in addition to WP/endurance (insanity), and it's open PK. Insanity just basically forces you to sit around doing nothing for a while.

And it requires moving around too much. You spend too much time not actually bashing anything, just linking then moving to find the mob.
    Don't move to find the mob, it will come to you.

Just sit on the node and link.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Morkarion said:
    Alban said:

Don't move to find the mob, it will come to you.

Just sit on the node and link.
    The majority of players cannot do this, because they can't tank more than two linked mobs at a time. If you have a perpetual truefavour, an h/m/e artifact rune, some other h/m/e blessing that is tosha level or higher, beast bodyguard, + other assorted buffs and artifacts, then sure! But I'm quite certain a player like Alban might only have one or two of the above at a given time. This is one of those instances where you, as an invested player, have a lot more resistance.

Your being a warrior and Alban not makes a pretty big difference too.

In short, if he could do that, he'd already be doing it.
  • Yeah, I have bodyguard and RoA.  I have a TF/h/m/e blessing sometimes. No other artifacts, and definitely not surge. ;)

So maybe Astral is worth it if you're tanky or in a group. For solo bashing I've found it slow and annoying though, especially sitting in my manse waiting for insanity to go away.

And, like I said, I prefer gold to essence anyway.
    You might not permalink, but there's still the option to link.

What I meant was you don't need to leave the node to hunt the mobs, they come to the node. Try for cold or lightning vulnerable planes, I've seen a lot of other non Knight Demi's bash up there alone, and I'm not just referencing Divinus damage types or TA's with destruction.

Sure the bashing favours Knights as far as mitigation goes, but you eventually work out your own pace. If you want gold, just tune electrical and fry the Krokani on Lirangsha >.>

• Don't you dare. Those Krokani are lovely.
  • I want to destroy something beautiful.
This discussion has been closed.