General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• He'd be more likely to yell 'Harden Up Princess' and hit you with flails
  • My husband fractured his elbow right before my vacation from work. :neutral:
  • edited January 2018
    One of my sister's cats died the other night (who was the mother of my cat) - she was ~11 years old... That in itself isn't so bad, it was coming for a while now, I think...

What sucks is his (my cat) refusal to move away from where my sister buried her, unless it's to eat in which case he goes right back afterwards. Before he used to spend the majority of his time sleeping on the couch. I guess cats aren't always assholes like the internet would have you believe.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    That's very sad, I'm sorry... hope he feels better soon. :(

Cats are definitely not always assholes, though most of them do live up to that name with the kind of pride only a cat can muster. Alternatively, some of them are very well-behaved and are cuddlebugs most of the time.

As my GD, my beautiful guy is going on 16 years old now, and while he still seems to be fairly spry he's had a few vet visits recently that are making me worried.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Rancoura said:
    As my GD, my beautiful guy is going on 16 years old now, and while he still seems to be fairly spry he's had a few vet visits recently that are making me worried.
    At the risk of making everyone else feel sad, I think it'd be best if I didn't say how she died. :/

(No it wasn't caused by anyone, for what it's worth)
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Cats do mourn/miss their family - one of my friends I was staying with when I was over in the USA was caring for a pair of foster kittens until they could be re-homed; they were trying to get them put into the same home, but eventually it ended up with them being separated, one of them being taken in a couple of weeks before the other.  She told me that for a good week or so the sibling would hunt around the house every so often as if going "Where did you put my sister?"
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Finished Oathbringer... waiting for next installment T_T  :/ Back to rereading Mistborn... 
  • Isune said:
    Finished Oathbringer... waiting for next installment T_T  :/ Back to rereading Mistborn... 

I was gifted Mistborn to read at Christmas. Yet to try them, but heard lots of good things. 
    Moon Priestess Ridien says, "The blood of an animal, however, can also be a tool. Consider fetishes -
    - efficient, powerful tools created by ecologists. It is exactly as Kendra says -- a tool of bones 
    and blood that has been magnified, changed, enchanted. Made into a tool."
  • Kendra said:

I was gifted Mistborn to read at Christmas. Yet to try them, but heard lots of good things. 
    Definitely a must-read. I can't say enough about the unique world he develops.  <3
  • Man, I read mist-read. I've been spending too much time around Portius.

• One day I will get around to reading the followup books for Mistborn.
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • edited January 2018
    Part 1 of bad day:
    Went to clinical placement this morning. Got sick. Had pain in upper abdomen starting yesterday morning, a LOT worse today. Went to doctors. She thinks its a stomach ulcer. So much pain and eating makes it worse. I have to eat a light diet (buhbyespicyfood) and not stress myself out (my tendency to stay up at all hours is part of that stress.) so! I have to cut back on my playing times just a little and get "normal" sleeping pattern back again, plus the medication she prescribed.

Part 2 of bad day:
    Came home from clinical placement, slept for about 40 mins and then headed back out to go to the doctors. As I was leaving in the car, another car came flying around the corner onto our road and on my side which I was driving on to, so I slammed on the brakes hard and whatever way I twisted the car, scraped the car on the concrete post above the back wheel. Other car was beeping at me and throwing his hands up in the air like I intentionally pulled out in front of him. 

tl;dr I have a probable stomach ulcer and I scratched the car :(
  • Isune said:
    Finished Oathbringer... waiting for next installment T_T  :/ Back to rereading Mistborn... 
    I've got to say, there are a good many writers whose styles I've consciously incorporated into my own, but Sanderson (Mistborn Book 1, which I picked up at the library because I liked the cover - bite me) can safely take up a seat in the top three.

I'd have to say, in order:

Brent Weeks (Lightbringer and Night Angels)
    Brandon Sanderson (a very close second. UTTERLY loved the Reckoners series, although I've got to be honest and say that I think the setting was far better than the plot)
    Aldous Huxley (though perhaps only on this specific project, because what he did in BNW is very similar in many ways to what I'm trying to achieve)
    Matthew Reilly (Contest, and the Scarecrow books)
    Stephan King (truly, truly tired of hearing people say he's a bad writer. If I could get paid what he gets paid to be bad at my job, I reckon I'd be okay)

Not classic writers by any stretch of the imagination, but people whose words I can feel in my heart, stomach, and pants.
    Stephen King largely gets a bad rep from the TV adaptations of his books - especially the mini series like It, Langoliers and Tommyknockers - each of those being ass-numbingly long...  The actual BOOKS are not terrible and warrant a read if you are into those kinds of books.

• I miss Michael Crichton, he had some fun books
  • I left for 2 weeks and I have no clue on what I need to fix my curing.
  • Rolsand said:
    I left for 2 weeks and I have no clue on what I need to fix my curing.
    SSC ON.
  • In clinical placement we are assigned preceptors to follow around and shadow and they're meant to take care of us and teach us all the things.

Since day 1 I've been with a different preceptor every day and sometimes swapped around to another during the day, and then they wonder why my competency interviews aren't done and insist it's *my* fault. Not that they're incapable of finding at least 1 or 2 people that will be on the same shifts as I am through my 4 weeks. 

To top it off, the clinical placement manager came around for "reflection" time which consisted of her grilling me for not take a manual blood pressure correctly (and I'm pretty good at doing those since bf is a doctor and I'm always practicing taking them on him / family ). She turned the screen away from me for "teaching purposes" and was adamant that I was doing it all wrong, except I took her blood pressure 4 times with roughly the same result, give or taken a couple mmHg either way. She then got out the electrical BP machine. Who was right???? Me.

tl;dr my clinical placement is a complete balls up and everyone is rude and mean, and I don't feel like I'm learning much of anything, except know how to be told off. 
  • Yeah. Ours is more group oriented, we have a clinical instructor who oversees like 6 students, who get assigned care of 2-3 patients for a day alongside their actual nurse. You mostly are on your own, but the instructor is with you to get the meds out of the dispensary and administer them, and at least for the first time you do a particular procedure on their watch. Beyond that, you mostly just work with the patient's actual nurse to plan care etc. 

My instructor for this next 8 weeks wrote me up on the first day this semester for not wearing long enough socks - they weren't calf length and someone may have seen my ankle. She discovered this during a speech about how we should all iron our scrubs each day, by having us all pull up our scrub pants to show her our socks. Joy. 
    Ianir said:
    Dear Flatpack Kitchen Prepspace,

You arrived two days ago in three boxes. I expected you to be a slight pain to set up, but I did not expect the sheer agony that followed over the last two days. Your bent frame, your missing screws, I can handle and expected. Your 20kg butcher block surface was excruciatingly heavy, but I bought you explicitly for that purpose (though frankly, why your surface mixes end and edge grain baffles me, but I never intended to cut directly on you anyway - it was purely aesthetic.)

But your physics-defying instructions that, with no warning, required two people and for me to cut a 6-inch deep hole in my floor and foundation to assemble should I have followed them to the letter and image -- this is what has I cannot understand. Perhaps the person who created you and wrote your instructions was a fourth-dimensional being who did not intend your construction to be completed by such simple beings. Or perhaps your creator was just assisted by a dedicated weightlifter who could lift your steel frame up for ten minutes straight with no risk of dropping it and putting a steel rod through their palm. Either way, this is not something the majority of us who purchase you on Amazon can achieve.

Still, I persevered and, a mere few minutes ago, managed to fully assemble you. You are now sitting in my kitchen, ready for me to apply a fresh coat of mineral oil to your surface. You are sturdy, you are stable, and you have tripled the amount of preparation space in my kitchen. I possibly have a hernia. My knees are killing me. I am a tad lightheaded. Still, I have one thing I would like to say to you.

I have won. Despite all of your best efforts to defeat me, I have won. You have lost. I have once more proven that the human race and our opposable thumbs will beat out the best the flatpack race can throw at us. So with all due respect, kindly take your support joints and suck my 3/8" allen wrench.

Sincerely,
    A very tired flatpack assembler.
    Photos or it didn't happen.   (Seriously though, you should want to show off a feat like that - and to be frank, I want to see the finished result :p  )

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    We're 16 days into 2018 and I'm sick for a second time this year. WTF. I get sick once a year or so. This is ridiculous. Not the flu this time, but still.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    We're 16 days into 2018 and I'm sick for a second time this year. WTF. I get sick once a year or so. This is ridiculous. Not the flu this time, but still.
    Second time? I am *still sick from last year*. Haven't felt like a human being since about 12/27. Flu -> Sinus infection with no break. Only just now starting to feel better.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    So... 3 days of surprise hospital stay past me, I suppose am back for real this time. I learned a lot of things, including that I absolutely HATE MRI, no matter how good a tool it might be, that damn machine makes me crazy. Aside of that, the usual, ~7 tests a day, food questionable... what you expect, really.

Am fine, stuff's been checked on, more stuffs needs to be checked on and yeah that hitting my head two weeks ago is partially related :(
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Small children staring or glaring or scowling at you just for existing is the worst sensation.
  • edited January 2018
    Pk isn't fun anymore. :'(