Clock of Wonder

2»

Comments

• That's genuinely very interesting. So would depth-first give you a different answer? Or does it require more system resource?
  • edited February 2018
    Versalean said:
    That's genuinely very interesting. So would depth-first give you a different answer? Or does it require more system resource?
    Depth-first would basically follow the first path as long as it can, then try alternate paths (the next alternate path it tries being the previous one it found rather than the first usually). This one tends to be used more for solving or generating mazes, topological sorting, etc. rather than pathfinding. It's basically a different tool for an entirely different job, and wouldn't be useful or applicable here whatsoever.

EDIT: I mean, it could be made to work if you really wanted it to? But... why?
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • MoiMoi
    edited February 2018
    Breadth First: "Make two lists and a counter. Start with the starting room on the first list and the counter at zero. If the counter is less than four, add every room adjacent to a room on the first list (which isn't already on the first list!) to the first list and add one to the counter. Repeat until the counter hits four. Then, do the same thing, except you write the results to the second list while still checking the first list. The second list is now a list of every room exactly five rooms away and which can't be reached by any shorter path."

Depth First: "Make three lists, a counter and a magic spinner that can point in any direction, including the eight cardinal/diagonal directions plus up, down, in and out and which turns between these directions in that exact order for some reason. It's magic, okay? Start with the starting room on the first list, the other two lists blank, the counter at zero and the spinner pointing north. If* there's a two-way exit from the room on the last entry on the first list in the direction the spinner is pointing which isn't already on one an odd numbered list, AND the counter is set to four, add that room to the third list. If the first two are true, but the counter is instead less than four, add that room to the second list instead. If there's no room in that direction or it's already on odd numbered list and the spinner isn't set to 'out', turn the spinner clockwise one step and try again. If the spinner is set to out, turn the spinner clockwise (back to north), add the last entry on the second list to the first list, set the counter back to zero and then add the first entry on the first list to the first list again, but this time at the bottom. If there are any rooms adjacent to the last entry on the first list (aka the starting room) which are not already on the first list, start over at the place I marked with a * in these instructions. Otherwise, the third list (finally!) is a list of every room exactly five rooms away and which can't be reached by any shorter path."

Both methods get the same result (eventually) but Depth First is slower and really inelegant and will make anyone looking at your code wonder what's wrong with you as a person.

• This is why I don't code. I can learn syntax easy-peesy, but thinking like a coder is what kicks my ass.
  • Always on look out for new ideas. How you would carry around a wonder wall....
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Cloak?  Glasses?  Ring?  Pants?  Kitten?  Armband?
  • I never thought I'd be on a (wonder)boat! *sings*
  • Estarra said:
    Always on look out for new ideas. How you would carry around a wonder wall....
    And after all, you're my wonderwall?
  • How about a wonderblanket. Based upon the concept of concealment. So when it's high level you could send a tell to somebody like: Somebody under a blanket tells you, "Hi." Or emote at them, be like: Somebody under a blanket shuffles their feet uneasily. 

Or a wonderlens that's all about revealing things. Shows you who's under wonder blankets, or at top level lets you watch what people are doing in their estates.

Or a really cool buddy that can do things like restock your stock room from afar, manage your urtraps, and go bashing with you. Call it a wonderboy. Or, if you're otherwise inclined, a wonderwoman.

And last but by no means least, the wondermine. You put it in your manse and it generates comms.
  • edited February 2018
    A wonderbreviary? 

Dug it up from a while back

1 Sermon 1/weave
    Increases the value of offering for the next five minutes

2 Cure*

3 Protection*

4 Celerity*

5 Heal* 

6 Sanctuary 1/hour
    Shunts you into a room like a tent or illusory manse, movement restrictions, denizens can't follow. Mostly an "oh no I'm gonna die" button for bashing.

7 Benediction
    Lets you use the shrine powers listed above on others, karma cost is on the target for order people (can't target order enemies) and on both sides for those without an order.

8 Favoured - 1/weave
    Gain a (high/strong favour)

9 Pilgrimage
    Godbix, each god gets a room which links to their master shrine and anywhere in their godrealm they want. Down leads to a room with exits to each of the nine seals, with down there leading to the fulcrux.

10 Awakening - 1/weave
    Demigods can temporarily activate an ephemeral power without cost.

*These powers are just shrine powers, maybe some extra stuff for people with an order. Maybe other stuff as well for people in a cult.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    @Estarra

More wonderblanket ideas:
    -can instantly bump you to "thermal cocoon" warmth with a toggle 
    -can prevent viewing of your inventory via appraise/snoop 
    -can function as a standard (or a reverse standard - aggro mobs will always target someone else so long as you're not the only one in the room, exclude guards/player org loyals) 
    -can allow you to enter dreambody/go to Nirvana without being a weaver (general exclusion from other dreamweaver stuff otherwise)
    -can put you out of phase in a room ala nature/statue illusion, with a similar blanket-themed line to go in the room you're hiding in
    -can be used to let you and your entourage fly, similar to the dingbat magic carpet
    -can be used to obscure what you're wielding, so it doesn't look like you're wielding anything
    -can be used to pacify an aggro mob, similar restrictions to wicca nymph
    -prevents being blown out of trees and the sky (blanket just sits in place and you cling to it to stay aloft)

Not all of these are necessarily good, but if you say stuff like that you make me want to encourage the theme.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    The pacification is already part of the wondermask, some other decent ideas there though!
  • Of all the wonder items that exist and do not exist, the wonder blanket is now my favorite.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Ianir's Cashmere Blanket of Deadly Snuggles
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    More wonderblanket ideas:

-allows you to SWADDLE yourself - swaddling is broken from most actions like meditation, but accelerates aetherwill regen
    -allows you to SWADDLE a target - if your target moves, they are no longer swaddled. A swaddled target can gradually receive karma or power you wish to share; power shared in this manner does not suffer a transfer loss like energylink
    -scrambles and provides erroneous discern results to people targetting you, at the expense of preventing you from accurately discerning others
    -allows you to SNAP at an item on the ground to make it fly off in a given direction, might have a chance to fail on a flame-sigiled item(?) (totally not sure how to address flame sigils fairly). Might work up to a given number of rooms based on line of sight.
    -Can be worn to give a coloured hair curio-like line in the description, changes with the descriptors of the base item (probably too time consuming, or would limit it to only one tier of rubs, but would be nifty)
    -Can be used on an exit to prevent enemies from glancing/squinting through it without preventing movement through that exit otherwise

• This is why Lusty wins. If we're seriously doing this, can its shortname please be wonderblankie? I love the idea of it taking you to Nirvana - very niche and thematically very appropriate. Level 1 skill should be that CUDDLE BLANKET gives you a one-time defence against fear. Potentially, along the same line of thought (i.e., that blankets protect you from psychological harm - not just me that has to have my feet underneath at night, because monsters can't get under blankets, right?), maybe level 2 could be a 2/10 resistance to cold and psychic damage (or perhaps cold and exco?).
  • @Estara

Wonderblanket Cocoon: Grants the OLD version of suspended animation (takes you out of the action, cures all afflictions).

Wonderblanket Blanket Party: Target your foe with blackout, stun, and left prone in random room (in the area). 1/day.

Wonderblanket: Security Blanky (wall): Entangles (or pushes back) area enemies (not personal enemies). This would require people to be a bit more concerned about fighting in areas they are enemied to. 3/day lasts 15 minutes (or longer if effect is minor)

Wonderblanket: Blanket Monster: Contigent on owner's death. Upon owner's death, the blanket monster appears flailing the owner's killer with soft pillowy blows while afflicting with hallucinations, eq loss, and entanglement. Blanky the Blanket Monster, howls its frustration at having its playmate destroyed as it attempts to turn you into a stain.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Steingrim said:

Wonderblanket: Blanket Monster: Contigent on owner's death. Upon owner's death, the blanket monster appears flailing the owner's killer with soft pillowy blows while afflicting with hallucinations, eq loss, and entanglement. Blanky the Blanket Monster, howls its frustration at having its playmate destroyed as it attempts to turn you into a stain.
    I want to have this simply to have a blanket monster companion. :D
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited February 2018
    Versalean said:
    And last but by no means least, the wondermine. You put it in your manse and it generates comms.
    Aether mines/copses were gotten rid of for a reason.  Last thing I'd want is to see them return - which is effectively what a 'wondermine' would be, given mines/copses sold for something like 50 dingbats each if I'm not mistaken.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Aeldra said:
    Steingrim said:

I want to have this simply to have a blanket monster companion. :D
    I was thinking it doesn't come until you die, but whatever works.
  • Kagato said:
    Versalean said:
    Aether mines/copses were gotten rid of for a reason.  Last thing I'd want is to see them return - which is effectively what a 'wondermine' would be, given mines/copses sold for something like 50 dingbats each if I'm not mistaken.
    That was my gut reaction and so I don't know a wondermine would work, but it wouldn't break things for another wonder manse item to gen a few things if you were maxed at one item.