Easter Eggs

edited April 2018 in World Library
I was learning cooking on an alt not terribly long ago and I happened to skim one of the learning messages that referenced a Bible verse. Now I am curious on other references I may have missed that may not be completely obvious to the casual observer.

The reference to the bible was Matthew 4:4: But he answered and said, it is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

The bolded part is also part of the game line! (paraphrased at least)

Comments

• Just to save bitter trolls, no you don't need to include people's custom pets/dwellers that range from Japanese folklore to video games.
  • deeply dislike the number of blatantly OOC references in Lusty. With a capital H. That said, I think the Bible gets a pass because it's had a massive impact on our turns of phrase/idioms/expressions in English, more than most people realise. It would be sort of like calling somebody out for referencing Shakespeare when they say somebody got assassinated.
  • Versalean said:
    deeply dislike the number of blatantly OOC references in Lusty. With a capital H. That said, I think the Bible gets a pass because it's had a massive impact on our turns of phrase/idioms/expressions in English, more than most people realise. It would be sort of like calling somebody out for referencing Shakespeare when they say somebody got assassinated.

I'm surprised it took me this long to see the bible reference. But I'm curious what else I might have missed.

I like our lovecraft references though.
  • Winter dreams.
    Heavy hailstones smash down upon everything around you. Unbowed, unbent, and unbroken, colossal trees hewn of blue ice tower overhead as sentinels whose lofty eminence recalls noble Wildewoods clad in frosted verdure. Great limbs spring from the mighty tree trunks, reaching skyward in spirited yearning. Foliage wrought of frozen moonlight adorn the soaring branches and boles stained with caught starlight together bathe the grove in a spectral radiance. No two leaves or flowers are alike for indeed each blade and bloom in sight, though shorn from the same argent lustre, bears singular designs seemingly plucked from the fickle dreams of snowflakes. Frozen fractals float in the air, seemingly arrested mid-fall or perhaps falling infinitely slowly towards the cottony snow drifts blanketing the ground. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. Breaking into mellifluous song, a yellow-breasted song sparrow flits between the ethereal branches.
    You see exits leading southeast and southwest.

Gets a pass from me for Game of Thrones.

I view these more as little Easter eggs, and I personally like them!
    Amazing beautiful stunning avatar by Gurashi!
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
  • The banker lady in Mag is a blatant reference to a song by the Flaming Lips, including her dialog
  • Lilyin! said:
    Just to save bitter trolls, no you don't need to include people's custom pets/dwellers that range from Japanese folklore to video games.
    Now I feel bad for having a kitsune pet :(
  • Tirah said:
    Lilyin! said:
    Just to save bitter trolls, no you don't need to include people's custom pets/dwellers that range from Japanese folklore to video games.
    That's not as bad as the League of Legends pets people have made
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    There's also the Raccoon gambling enabler, Nookie the bookie. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find his first name is Tom, the extortionist.
  • Luce said:
    There's also the Raccoon gambling enabler, Nookie the bookie. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find his first name is Tom, the extortionist.
    Animal Crossing?
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Weeky Pedia is probably the most egregious OOC reference, up there with Momma Mia in Newton Caverns. Most of the rest I think are subtle/clever enough to get a pass.

• I've always tried to tell myself that it's because Lusternia is in some ways the crossroads of various realities, including ours, so it's a kind of pastiche universe. That has allowed me to suspend disbelief enough to not want to claw my eyes out, but yeah, Weeky gets me every time.
  • MoiMoi
    edited April 2018
    My previous character published a book entitled "Reflections on Cult Worship" (It was an overview of the history and theory of order cults.)
  • Portius said:
    I've assumed Hyacinth Clarramore is in reference to Keeping Up Appearances. The personality fits, anyway.

The Gourmet Ghetto's use of Gordo and Rammy for chefs presumably plays on Gordon Ramsey.
    She has a sister, Daisy Clarramore. She's not the one with the swimming pool, aethership and room for a pony
  • Lilyin! said:
    Tirah said:
    Lilyin! said:
    That's not as bad as the League of Legends pets people have made
    Be thankful, the worst one in recent times was a blatant reference to the companion cube from Portal
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Yes, absolutely.

• I'm pretty sure Mysrai's orange thiefs are a reference to something I don't think I can talk about on forums.

• Lilyin! said:
    I'm pretty sure Mysrai's orange thiefs are a reference to something I don't think I can talk about on forums.

does it involve lemons?
  • I wanna say it's GoT, but I haven't read them in yonks and I can't quite put it together.
  • Arix said:
    Lilyin! said:
    I'm pretty sure Mysrai's orange thiefs are a reference to something I don't think I can talk about on forums.

does it involve lemons?
    Yesssss
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Lilyin! said:
    Arix said:
    Lilyin! said:

does it involve lemons?
    Yesssss
    You should get insurance on that orange tree, then.  o:) 

(Also, what the heck, really? Hahaha.)
  • MoiMoi
    edited April 2018
    Someone PM me what all of this citrusy business is about.

E: I have been informed. I'd completely forgotten about them.