Should the 'grope' emote be removed from the game?

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    No. Not all groping is non consensual, Lusternia is not meant to be an accurate representation of real life.

Welcome to a game where violence, slavery, torture, drug abuse and rape are all part of either/both day to day life or part of the lore.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Orgasm and all sorts of other emotes have already been removed from the game because of inappropriate use, but the correct response from us (the players) should be to ostracise and condemn those people who use it in such a manner - and ensure that we do not allow them any reprieve - rather than a heavy-handed removal of those things from the game.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Poll misses a 'I don't care either way' option.
  • If it helps any. These are taken from a google search of "definition of ----"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Grope
    verb informal
    fondle (someone) for sexual pleasure roughly or clumsily, or without the person's consent.

Full disclosure - this is the secondary definition, but let's not be silly and pretend it isn't the one being conveyed in this emote [Tremula touches upon the primary definition above, HOWEVER, as they also alludes the adjective (below) helps to further disambiguate its use]

Lewd

adjective
    crude and offensive in a sexual way.

------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR - I'm finding it difficult to read the emote in its present form in any way that isn't an out-and-out sexual assault, and an explicit violation of HELP 15.9 in all but a very few cases. And we all know that consensual mudsexxors put way more effort into it than hitting cringey hard-coded emotes. Which really does only leave us with that other use.
  • On one hand, Chesterton's fence. On the other hand, Versa's point about nobody who'd have a permissible use for it wanting to use it makes a lot of sense.
  • edited May 2018
    Versalean said:

TL;DR - I'm finding it difficult to read the emote in its present form in any way that isn't an out-and-out sexual assault, and an explicit violation of HELP 15.9 in all but a very few cases. And we all know that consensual mudsexxors put way more effort into it than hitting cringey hard-coded emotes. Which really does only leave us with that other use.
    Agreed. If someone is doing some theoretically consensual and private RP that involves things that are likely triggers for a lot of people, then they can write custom emotes. Lusternian RP would retain the possibility of exploring such troubling subject matter if someone really wanted to (hopefully in a thoughtful and mature way, and hopefully privately).

All a super accessible and hard-coded emote like this accomplishes is to enable offensive trolls to be offensive trolls with way less effort.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I am also in favor of changing the emote to the less objectionable meaning of grope. I have nothing against people groping each other in a lewd way in privacy with their own words, but I absolutely agree that our predefined emotes should not be anything so crude. As Luce said, it gives the wrong impression.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Luce said:
     or even groping the air while scowling at someone like you're trying to give them a Vader Handshake

We have that actually, see CHOKE.

I far prefer the idea of a rewrite to something less overtly lewd over simply removing it.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• There is a higher chance of a rewrite if a full suggestion is provided. i.e. with first, second, third person defined and targeted / untargeted etc.
  • edited May 2018
    I do not really see any justifiable moment to ever use it. A rewrite sounds perfect.
  • Plausible deniability. We have the ability to make custom emotes. Creating an alias/macro/trigger is relatively easy. By having a hardcoded emote, Lusternia is saying it is okay with it being used. That being said a rewrite would solve the issue as well.
  • Rasvin said:
    Plausible deniability. We have the ability to make custom emotes. Creating an alias/macro/trigger is relatively easy. By having a hardcoded emote, Lusternia is saying it is okay with it being used. That being said a rewrite would solve the issue as well.
    Lusternia also has a hard coded quest where you kill a baby. This claim that Lusternia is saying it's okay to grope people without consent is a bit reaching.

Also it's interesting that primarily male players are voting no on this.
  • edited May 2018
    Lilyin! said:
    Rasvin said:
    Plausible deniability. We have the ability to make custom emotes. Creating an alias/macro/trigger is relatively easy. By having a hardcoded emote, Lusternia is saying it is okay with it being used. That being said a rewrite would solve the issue as well.
    Lusternia also has a hard coded quest where you kill a baby. This claim that Lusternia is saying it's okay to grope people without consent is a bit reaching.

I get what you are saying. However, the key difference is the baby is a denizen with no actual human player. The groping emote could be used on unwilling victums that are players which could be harassment. (I know characters kill each other in game, and we are not discussing murder.) My point is there is plenty of options players can use to replace it, so keeping it does not justify even a slight risk. Common sense does not always win in society. Unfortunately, this issue could be imposed by some judge that wants to prove a point. It is reality>logic.
  • It's so much better than it was. Thanks, @Estarra
  • for anyone not logged on

12420h, 10796m, 10400e, 10p Bexk<>-(+2m, 0.0%)
    Untargeted:
       1st Person: You grope blindly in the air with outstretched hands
       3rd Person: Deichtine gropes blindly in the air with outstretched hands

Targetted:
       1st Person: You grope blindly in the air, bumping into Iosai.
       2nd Person: Deichtine gropes blindly in the air, bumping into you.
       3rd Person: Deichtine gropes blindly in the air, bumping into Iosai.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Lilyin! said:
    Rasvin said:

Excuse me, did you just assume and stereotype the genders of the player base?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Lilyin! said:

Hey now, I qualified my 'no' as being 'rewrite, don't remove', and provided a suggestion for a replacement. =(
  • There was no 'I don't give a **** either way' option so I voted no, but its not an emote I've ever used willingly because it's pretty dumb. Having said that, most of the people that I've seen use the emote are female characters but that doesn't mean much in the bigger picture of things