Artifact Ideas

Comments

• If it prevented the last charge from being used up, what would the point of charging it back up be?
  • edited May 2018
    Perma reuseable kirigami/wetfold
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    ... the things are cheap as heck and are about the only thing bookbinders make that people want to buy repeatedly.  Good for people who just want to perma-upkeep the effects, really bad for the tradeskill.
  • I ran out of kirigami earlier and was like you know I would pay 100 credits or maybe 200 for not having to bother going to restock.
  • Deichtine said:
    Xenthos said:
    ... the things are cheap as heck and are about the only thing bookbinders make that people want to buy repeatedly.  Good for people who just want to perma-upkeep the effects, really bad for the tradeskill.

I have asked for this before and another player said that the cost of it would probably be over 500cr. I think anything over 100cr would make it worst than if you just got normal ones and even then that is pushing it.  It is something like 15 credits to have the gold to buy enough leather (assuming 1 leather per 1 vellum) to make enough kirigami to last a full RL year if you had one activate every hour for 16 hour days. Having an artifact like this would be a great convenience item if priced cheap enough.
  • Enya said:
    If it prevented the last charge from being used up, what would the point of charging it back up be?
    Because you couldn't use it. You'd have to recharge it to use the other charges, that last charge is just kept to keep the item enchanted. This was suggested  as an alternative in case it would be too hard to code something that keeps the enchantment with no/zero charges. This would keep you from needing to re-enchant an item, without getting rid of the need to charge it.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Something that stops you getting any plague!
  • edited May 2018
    Ayisdra said:
    Deichtine said:
    Xenthos said:

I have asked for this before and another player said that the cost of it would probably be over 500cr. I think anything over 100cr would make it worst than if you just got normal ones and even then that is pushing it.  It is something like 15 credits to have the gold to buy enough leather (assuming 1 leather per 1 vellum) to make enough kirigami to last a full RL year if you had one activate every hour for 16 hour days. Having an artifact like this would be a great convenience item if priced cheap enough.
    Yes,  but it should be more expensive than just buying kirigamis. You're paying a premium for the luxury of never having to interact with a bookbinder ever again ever never running out of them again.
  • Versalean said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Deichtine said:
    Xenthos said:

Yes,  but it should be more expensive than just buying kirigamis. You're paying a premium for the luxury of never having to interact with a bookbinder ever again ever never running out of them again.
    Is being around 600% more expensive (going with 15cr for a full RL year worth) not enough a premium? I could spend 100cr on a single artifact item or I could spend that on the 6 RL years worth of kirigami...
  • I don't think it is enough of a premium given what it does to the economy, but that's because I have fun by crafting and trading. Many don't!
    Here is a counter-idea:
    Gnomish Paper Fold.

Can give only Wetfold or Kirigami effects, consumes vellum (3 for Wetfold, 4 for Kirigami).  Costs 100-150 dingbats.

If you are a bookbinder, it consumes 1 less vellum for the effect, and also all your normal origami folding consumes 1 less vellum (so you can still make yourself designs you like too).

Vellum is riftable, so you could stock a whole lot of vellum (no need to worry about decay), but requires buying the base bookbinder comms to use it (just like you need an enchanter to recharge base cube charges).

At this point you are paying for on-demand convenience instead of any form of economic benefit, but bookbinders are still needed at least to some extent.

I don't know that I love the idea even so, because it wipes out kirigami designs for people who buy it, but at least it provides a compromise.
  • Thayan said:
    Also something to allow people to perform wedding ceremonies without needing to be Grand High Something in a divine order. Looong, loooooooong engagements are becoming a pervasive trend. 
    http://forums.lusternia.com/discussion/2961/secular-marriage
  • Anyone who owns an aethership should be able to perform weddings, ship's captains and all.
  • As a note even though I can marry some people

"Marriage
       - MARRY <person> TO <person> At least one of those to be wedded must either be in the Order or in
    the city/commune with which your Patron is aligned."

Thayan and Kistan are sort of stuck a bit in an organisation with mostly inactive divine. They cant get someone out of gaudi to marry them unless they join the order but thats not really doable in a lot of cases so they are sort of stuck in a unmarried no one can marry them limbo due to divine inactivity.

What about a dingbat item that increases the potency of offered (or Engulfed) corpses, akin to the way you can level up figurines to increase the potency of esteem offerings significantly?

It could just be something with multiple levels (+25%, +50%, +100% or something).

A corpse grinder,  essence distillery, etc.

Or how about an Avatar-essence-linker?  It allows you access to Avatar-only Cult powers (if you are in a cult with those skills learned, of course).  However, using these powers also burns your personal essence (10x the cost of the cult essence, maybe more).    The main purpose of this is for use in orders with limited ability for new cults.  The Avatar can control people (ab)using them by removing from the cult if needed, just like they already can for other accessible Veneration powers.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Xenthos said:
    Or how about an Avatar-essence-linker?  It allows you access to Avatar-only Cult powers (if you are in a cult with those skills learned, of course).  However, using these powers also burns your personal essence (10x the cost of the cult essence, maybe more).    The main purpose of this is for use in orders with limited ability for new cults.  The Avatar can control people (ab)using them by removing from the cult if needed, just like they already can for other accessible Veneration powers.
    Or simplify it, have an omniscience artifact. Because that's the biggest (albeit not only) bonus to having a cult.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Karlach said:
    Xenthos said:
    Or simplify it, have an omniscience artifact. Because that's the biggest (albeit not only) bonus to having a cult.
    They are not going to add an Omniscience artifact, this has been Officially Vetoed.

I'm hoping that just expanding cult powers a little bit would be more acceptable.
  • edited May 2018
    Thayan and Kistan are sort of stuck a bit in an organisation with mostly inactive divine. They cant get someone out of gaudi to marry them unless they join the order but thats not really doable in a lot of cases so they are sort of stuck in a unmarried no one can marry them limbo due to divine inactivity.

Hey...we have been married 15 years now...with a child!

@Dys and Sunny however............
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #2824
    Date: 5/17/2018 at 1:26
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: New Dingbat Artifacts

Hi everybody,

I am pleased to announce a few new dingbat items, available immediately.

---

a Bladed Harness of the Cow Butcher (ASHOP 973, 150db)

o When worn, butchers any cow (or other annoying livestock) you would
    otherwise run into on the roads before you can run into it.

---

a hydraulic shovel assembly (ASHOP 974, 75db)

o Can be attached to a shovel, silver shovel, or coal spade to halve the
    balance time of digging with it.

---

a wizzer image box (ASHOP 975, 200db)

o Allows you to snap sketches of objects, mobs, and players.

o Allows you to snap a 'negative' of a beast or wonderitem, which
    preserves its qualities so they may be restored by projecting them back
    later.

o One negative may be stored per beast or wonderitem, with no limit of
    beasts or wonderitems. Only beasts or wonderitems owned by you may be
    recorded.

o CAMERA for syntax.

---------

I bought the camera immediately, I love it so so much.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited May 2018
    When the harness says butcher, does it mean kill, or does it mean turn into commodities?

Also, it seems like more or less a straight upgrade on the Cowhide boots that cause you to not bump into cattle, assuming that butchering them doesn't take balance. If that is the case, maybe make the harness an upgrade of the boots? If butchering does take balance, then I could see wanting both for maximum convenience.

P.S. It might be time to do a new set of dingbat dolls, assuming I'm not the only person who buys them.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Portius said:
    When the harness says butcher, does it mean kill, or does it mean turn into commodities?

Also, it seems like more or less a straight upgrade on the Cowhide boots that cause you to not bump into cattle, assuming that butchering them doesn't take balance. If that is the case, maybe make the harness an upgrade of the boots? If butchering does take balance, then I could see wanting both for maximum convenience.

P.S. It might be time to do a new set of dingbat dolls, assuming I'm not the only person who buys them.
    Kill. No experience gain, no triggering acquisitio, just leaves a corpse, no balance loss.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • edited May 2018
    Edit: turns out I had already suggested this exact thing about 2 months ago. Whoops. But leaving it here to bump it.

An upgrade to the boots of wandering that allow you to use the boots without consuming balance.
  • Love the camera! Love, love, love it! Will buy one tonight for sure. Does anyone who has one know if reverting to the image stored in the negative will destroy the negative?
  • Versalean said:
    Love the camera! Love, love, love it! Will buy one tonight for sure. Does anyone who has one know if reverting to the image stored in the negative will destroy the negative?
    It does not. And even if it did, it would just be re-creatable instantly after projecting, so there's no reason to destroy it.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
    It does not!  I already set up aliases to transform all my wonder items, and to restore them.

So I can flip, see if I like any of the new ones more.  If I do, make a negative of the new version, then flip the "restore" button to make everything shiny again.

Plus you can take selfies with the camera.
  • Does it do anything practical for non-wonder havers?