A Return to Mafia 2: Electric Boogaloo

2»

Comments

• Welp, I might have misjudged this horribly. Given Trem's defense and the current situation, I think I'd like to reconsider earlier statement about not lynching day one aaaand... vote Tremula.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Sylandra said:
    Luce said:
    So we're on to a meta conversation about whether we think Tremula is a jester pretending to be scum or scum pretending to be a jester?
    I’m going to play as if there’s no jester, personally, but it did come to mind.

Would you rather do something else? If you think we are wasting the day, there’s nothing stopping you from voting to not lynch.
    I'm not being sarcastic there, I think that kind of conversation is useful, and is a fair sight better than most day 1 checking in and moving straight to no lynch we tend towards on here. 

I think Lehki mentioned this game was going to be more like werewolf than Mafia in some ways, so I don't think a jester is out of the question. The only roles I think are really unlikely are things like arsonists who take multiple turns to set up, or cultists/vampires who would snowball out of control way too early for town to keep up.

That said, if there is a jester I'd expect it to be a 4-1-1 more than a 5-1 or 3-2-1. 3-2-1 especially just seems unfair.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Gonna sleep on this and try coming at if with fresh eyes in 8 or so.
  • Portius is going to be subbing out, and is being replaced by Zitto.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    By my counts that’s me, @Portius / @Zitto and @Vinra voting to lynch @Tremula. One vote away from the chop now.

Friends, this seems like the time to vote and share where you stand! Whether it’s to axe Tremula or to plead for a no lynch before it’s too late.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Since I'm subbing in, I feel like I should probably share my take. Fortunately, there has been a little bit of hand-off between us and we tend to think along similar lines. The math was good and in the absence of the compelling reason we have, I would have supported a no lynch for statistical reasons. I believe the game is 5/1 or 4/1/1 primarily because 4/2 or 3/1/2 would be pretty unsporting. I don't see a serial killer as likely because unless it's 3/1/2, there's no functional difference between the serial killer and the scum and 3/1/2 with a serial killer would be absurd. For similar reasons, I find a jester unlikely but possible. If we have a third party, it's probably a survivor.

I am absolutely still on the Tremula train. The vanilla claim was objectively bad play that merits a policy lynch. It looks like a scum sign, but even otherwise we're in a bad place if we don't follow through. Scum or not, if we go with a no lynch Trem's going to survive the night and on the next day we'll be in this same position but with higher stakes. As a reminder, the polls close at about this time on Friday; if you've got an alternative position to voice, it's time. If you're just feeling cautious, realistically ask yourself what could happen during the night phase that would give you more information on this decision afterwards.
  • Vote Count

@Tremula (2): Zitto, Vinra

With 6 alive it takes 4 votes to reach a majority.
    Haha you’re missing my vote, @Lehki.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • @Lehki I think you are missing Syl's vote
  • Oh whoops

Vote Count

@Tremula (3): Zitto, Vinra, Sylandra

With 6 alive it takes 4 votes to reach a majority.
  • Ok 

Vote: Tremula
  • And that's a lynch!

Tremula was...

You are a Vanilla Townie!

Your only weapon, your Vote. Use it wisely.

You win when all scum have been eliminated from the game!

And unfortunately, it is also game! Kalikai, Zitto/Portius, and Sylandra were also Vanilla Town.  And Luce and Vinra were...

You are a Mafia Lover! Your partner is Luce/Vinra.

Dayspeak: You may freely chat with your partner during the Day Phase in the moderated Scum Chat.

Lover's Grief: If your partner is killed, you'll be overcome with grief and immediately die of a broken heart.

You win when you control 50% of the vote.

Victory goes to the Mafia!

You all underestimated how much of bastard I was willing to be with this, which I do feel kind of bad about. Though in my defense I did warn in the sign-up thread that this game was likely to end on the first day. 
    Lehki said:
    Since Portius' game fell through, I have a slightly unusual set up I'd like to try. Needs 6 people and will only consist of one day phase so it's short.

Lehki said:
    This was originally an idea I read while browsing a wiki. It'll be a simple and no flavor game and (likely) only a single Day Phase, so maybe it's closer to Werewolf than Mafia?

I've had this game sitting in the back of my head for awhile, as it's been featured on the main page of the MafiaScum Wiki for as long as I can remember, and would see it whenever I went to browse the wiki for ideas.  Before the game started I waffled back and forth for awhile on whether to let everybody know they were walking into a 4/2 sudden death mafia game, and the wiki does suggest doing that. Opted not to in the end 'cus while it would give the town a better footing to start with, I thought that it wouldn't leave a lot of room for discussion and basically end with a random lynch which would be boring.  Also figured that if enough people did think it would play better with fore-knowledge, could always run this setup again in the future.

I definitely enjoyed this, short and misguided as it was. Hope it at least wet everybody's appetite for more Mafia.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    And for posterity:

• Lehki May 25
      Welcome to Scum Day Chat. Have fun.
    • VinraVinra May 25
      Hi bb 3
    • LuceLuce May 25
      Let's break some arms!
    • LuceLuce May 25
      So, cliff notes version of my thinking here:

We're likely 2v4 rather than 2v1v3.

Our roles are a combination of vanilla Mafia and Lovers roles, likely to give town at least some chance of winning. However, our only real advantage here is going to be to play dumb to the fact that we're either of those. Portius, Trem, Sylandra and I are old hats at the Mafia thing, and I'm not sure how well versed Kali is, but you can definitely get away with acting like you know absolutely nothing. Here's one important thing though. Make sure that if you vote, you vote for someone I'm not voting for, unless it's the last vote needed. Right now, that's 4.

What's been said so far is likely true. Unless town lynches one of us today, they likely lose. Might get some traction from asking what mylo is though, if you haven't already looked it up.
    • VinraVinra May 26
      We can't kill at night, can we? And I'm *pretty* sure-ish town can't either. So the only way someone dies is through lynching? If that's the case we have to lynch at least 2 people to win :S
    • VinraVinra May 26
      Unless I'm getting this wrong and we can kill at night.
    • LuceLuce May 26
      I doubt they have a vigilante, but it's not impossible. Odds are if someone IS a vig they're keeping that to themselves, too dangerous to use it. In their minds there's essentially a 1/5 chance of hitting a mafioso and a 4/5 chance of losing the game. If there's a lynch today it'll go up to 1/4 to 3/4. Them's not great odds.
    • LuceLuce May 26
      As for us, nightkill is a baseline mafia power, but technically there's no reason we HAVE to have it, so Lehki might be running a game without nightkills.
    • LehkiLehki May 26
      I just kind of overlooked mentioning it sorry, you do have nightkill. 
    • VinraVinra May 26
      Oh, okay, that makes sense! So basically we just need to lynch someone not us and then kill someone at night to win. That sounds less stressful! I'm just gonna act like an innocent baby in chat now.
    • VinraVinra May 30
      So, what are the chances there's actually a jester in a 4v2? Do we want to lynch Trem or not @_@ If he's actually jester, I could vote and you can refrain and I don't think she'd actually kill me. If he's not jester, lynching would be really good for us, right?
    • LuceLuce May 30
      I could see jester, or bomb, both of which would mean a Tremula win. Still, I'm willing to give this until I wake up at about 2 PM PDT to develop.
    • VinraVinra May 30
      If Jester wins, it's game over? We aren't planning on shooting him at night though, so he wouldn't win if he's bomb (according to what I've googled - does it work differently here?). And if he was this would be a really weird strategy.
    • LuceLuce May 30
      Depends. Generally it's possible for the jester and another group to win, but Lehki might treat this as just a whoever-crosses-the-finish-line-first kinda thing. In either case, if Trem's a bomb she'll kill the person(s) who killed her. Either last vote or all votes for a lynch, and either first shot or all attackers at night.

Womp womp. Good game tho! I really enjoyed the high stakes of a shorter round. :D Would definitely be up for more in the future.

Mafias being lovers is a nice twist—counters the unforgiving nature of the setup a bit.
    Daraius said:
  • Oof, I actually considered this setup because of seeing it on the mafiascum wiki but decided "Nah, Lehki would have mentioned MyLo" and dismissed it. Not that knowig would have changed the day one vote. 

I did come up with a devious plan to win as town, asking questions about ice cream that would reveal who had seen the role pm picture but dismissed it as unsporting (and probably too late to follow through on by the time I started)

I do really like the setup conceptually and would be up for playing it Open.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I KNEW IT WAS 4V2. I HAD A FEELING DEEP IN MY GUT. But unfortunately real life hit like a truck and I couldn't pounce on it. A good game, but sorry I got rando-ganked from it.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    Tremula said:
    "Master Plan"

1) get information
    2) give information to town
    2.5) entertain myself
    3) I die, probably
    4) ?????
    5) Profit
    Tremula said:
    I KNEW IT WAS 4V2. I HAD A FEELING DEEP IN MY GUT.

(<3)
    Daraius said:
    The truth is I am awful at this game but I keep playing because it's fun and I feel like I learn a little more each time. Luce didn't pique my scumdar but I 100% thought it was Kalikai and Vinra if it was two.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Yeah, if Trem train backed off I was 200% ready to drop the hammer on Kalikai.
  • That was brutal to observe! Came surprisingly close to the whole "One Night" variant that floats around.
  • Luce said:
    Yeah, if Trem train backed off I was 200% ready to drop the hammer on Kalikai.
    :neutral:
    By the way, @Sylandra you should hook up with some of the other mafia experts and write a post that's a guide on mafia plays! It would help people who are first-timers or, like me, just suck~