Critical Hit Change

edited July 2018 in Common Grounds
There's been some confusion about the change to critical hits. This is hoping to clear up any confusion.

The reason for the change is simple, The the way critical hits worked originally resulted in a situation where as you surpassed 50% critical hit rate, the number of World-Shattering Criticals started to surpass other levels of criticals. We want WSC's to remain the rarest critical hit, rather than becoming more commonplace. Under the original code, a 100% crit rate meant 100% WSC. This change is intended to keep the spread of criticals on a curve such that you'll never have more WSC than any other type.

Here are some examples of how it worked prior to this change.

Each is assuming the critical hit rate for 1000 attacks.

Critical Hit Rate:     30%
Normal:                 700
Critical Hits:          210 
Crushing:                63 
Obliterating:            19
Annihilating:              5
World-Shattering:      3

Critical Hit Rate:     50%
Normal:                 500
Critical Hits:          250 
Crushing:              125 
Obliterating:           62 
Annihilating:           32
World-Shattering:   31

Critical Hit Rate:     70%
Normal:                 300
Critical Hits:          210 
Crushing:              147 
Obliterating:          103  
Annihilating:           72
World-Shattering:  168

As you can see, as you increase the critical hit rate, the % of WSC goes up. At 70% (which some people are approaching), WSC is drawing closer to the number of just normal critical hits, surpassing the 3 levels in between.

The change itself is simple, for each additional level check, your crit rate is reduced by 15% of the rate (not 15% total). This change primarily affects people with high crit rates, but it does affect everyone, 

An example: Assuming a critical hit rate of 50%, the below table shows what the rate of the next level would be for each.

Critical Hits:          50%
Crushing:              42.5%
Obliterating:          36.13%
Annihilating:          30.7%
World-Shattering:  26.1%

Critical hits out of 1000 attacks with the change.

Critical Hit Rate:     30%
Normal:                 700
Critical Hits:          223 (30%)
Crushing:                60 (25.5%)
Obliterating:            14 (21.68%)
Annihilating:              2 (18.42%)
World-Shattering:      1 (15.66)

Critical Hit Rate:     50%
Normal:                 500 
Critical Hits:          287  (50%)
Crushing:              136  (42.5%) 
Obliterating:          53    (36.13%)
Annihilating:          18   (30.7%)
World-Shattering:  6     (26.1%)

Critical Hit Rate:     70%
Normal:                 300 
Critical Hits:           283 (70%)
Crushing:               206 (59.5%)
Obliterating:          120 (50.58%)
Annihilating:           58 (42.99%)
World-Shattering:   33  (36.54%)

Hopefully, this clears up any confusion and addresses why the change was made. Feel free to comment below with questions or thoughts on this change.

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    This seems like it is going too far.  At 50% you drop the number of WSCs from 31/1000 to 6/1000, AND the annihilatings drop from 32/1000 to 18/1000, AND the obliteratings drop from 62/1000 to 53/1000.

I actually totally understand the "why" of you making a change and it does make sense to me, but it also seems like the biggest issue is with >50%, not so much 50% itself (and lower).  I would like the numbers tweaked so that the 50% and below are closer to what they were (some wiggle room for dropping is okay, but this is a significant across the board damage hit for high end PvEers and significantly reduces the value of crit hit arties and other consumable items).
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    I actually want to second what Xenthos is saying here. I totally agree with the need to adjust the values and keep it 'linear' decreasing, but the values feel really harsh, given how expensive/hard it is to gain crit %, given e. g. 6% more crit chance cost 1200 credits.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Assuming each hit does 1000 damage, in 1000 hits someone with 50% critical will drop from doing a total of 3.5 million damage to 2.522 million damage based on these numbers (obviously higher will drop far more, but as I said I do agree adjustment was necessary based on the nature of the calculation).

Would definitely appreciate some tweaking!

30% does not drop anywhere near as much (1.7 million to 1.562 million), for the sake of additional numbers.  I did not run the calculation for 70% because I imagine it is huge (and is why this is being done in the first place).
  • 70% drops about in half, 8.6 to 4.6. Trying to make a more general form right now.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Suddenly I have this morbid curiosity of how many critters a WSC from Xenthos could chain dead if damage shift was a pool of general overkill damage rather than a single strike from a crit.
  • edited July 2018
    Here's a code block for mudlet that'll spit out two numbers, the average per-hit crit multipliers before and after the crit changes. Just make an alias that calls calc.GenerateCritMultiplier(value) where value is whatever crit chance you wanna check.

Oh yeah and since I forgot to actually document my inputs, value should be between 0 and 1, like 0.5 for 50% crit chance. Feeding the function 50 won't give you anything useful.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Xenthos said:
    Assuming each hit does 1000 damage, in 1000 hits someone with 50% critical will drop from doing a total of 3.5 million damage to 2.522 million damage based on these numbers (obviously higher will drop far more, but as I said I do agree adjustment was necessary based on the nature of the calculation).

Would definitely appreciate some tweaking!

30% does not drop anywhere near as much (1.7 million to 1.562 million), for the sake of additional numbers.  I did not run the calculation for 70% because I imagine it is huge (and is why this is being done in the first place).
    With stars aligning I can reach 69.x%

With wonderpie that'd break the mark. Considering certain skillsets have innate crit buffs, reaching 70% in bursts is becoming easier and easier,  high 60's certainly sustainable.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Changing things so that the upper end (of everything) still holds an edge but doesn't skyrocket up through compounding buffs is great overall for the game in multiple ways. Good change, kudos.