Astral Node logs

It would be nice to be able to probe an astral node and see who has been linking it and the state they left it in. We seem to have an issue with people completely draining the node, mostly likely AFK bashing and Orrery expires and they fry the node toasting the opportunity for others to enjoy bashing. Barring that perhaps when a node is completely drained it explodes and leaves the person responsible with a mark of that plane visible for all to see like a mark of shame. 

Comments

• While many people share (and have voiced) this frustration, I'd hold shy of saying it's caused by botters. There are many other reasons for doing it: 1) Didn't know it was a problem (n00bs); 2) Know it's a problem but don't understand how to prevent it (incompetents - I've done this several times, and actually quite recently because I misunderstood where 'crystalline' sits on the list); 3) dgaf because idgaf (not a team player); 4) dgaf because I've just checked every single Astrosphere and found that they are all at motes (i.e., a commons tragedy); 5) botters.

Honestly, I find it difficult to believe that somebody would bot in the most dangerous area in the game, but I guess this is the internet and I may be being overly optimistic.
  • @Versalean I doubt many noobs are bashing Astral solo to start so likely know better. I could go with accidents if it wasn't happening regularly, but it could well be IDGAF. 
  • This issue has come up in a different form - people can use quest rankings to figure out who is doing annoying quests if they just keep a regular eye on it. Then, when the annoying quest is done, you just spot the difference.

I know there were divided opinions in the Havens about this, and quest rankings ended up staying for our general witch hunting usage (/s). I don't see why nodes couldn't work the same way, unless it'd be annoying to code, which I could see it being that way.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Is there any real reason not to make nodes just... regenerate faster when they're empty / close to empty?  Orrery allows unlimited / infinite Astral hunting now anyways...

The natural rate doesn't need to be super-fast, but the super-slow rate just doesn't seem necessary now imo.  Making it so that a fully drained node can recover in ~2 days instead of its current rate would probably help a fair bit, while also not making it super appealing to constantly fully drain the node you like (it would still regenerate faster if you stopped at motes and be ready for more hunting sooner).
  • Honestly, I'd say "leave it alone". If people want to police it IGly using the tools they have, they're free to do so, but as annoying as a shared resource is in a virtual world, it's a problem that the community needs to solve IGly, assuming that there is even the will and consensus to do so. I'd go so far as to concede that the obvious analogy in Herbs is LastHarvest so at least in principle the godmin are agreeing that unsustainable use of resources is a frustrating enough problem that we should at least be able to buy get an idea of who's doing it, but let me ask you this genuine question: What is overlinking doing to ruin your life? If you want to hunt, then [I don't even know what this means, so let's see if I employ it correctly] empower the Orrery. If you want power, then link your nexus and make sure that the power economy in your city/commune is working.
  • Astral being overdrawn prevents you from empowering the Orrery.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Why not come up with a way to add an org's essence to a node to empower it?

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Moi said:
    Astral being overdrawn prevents you from empowering the Orrery.
    Okay, wasn't aware. I can see that being hugely frustrating then, on both sides of the screen. I'd still err on the side of caution in terms of a 'fix', but concede that a fix is still needed.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Versalean said:
    Moi said:
    Astral being overdrawn prevents you from empowering the Orrery.
    Okay, wasn't aware. I can see that being hugely frustrating then, on both sides of the screen. I'd still err on the side of caution in terms of a 'fix', but concede that a fix is still needed.

If you're raising the Orrery, you need...a dozen? of each astral mob, and you have to have them within a Lusternian day or so. So, if one of the nodes is dead and you can't  raise mobs from it, you can't raise the Orrery.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.