Can I get an elevator pitch or ELI5?

I'm thinking about getting into this game and went blindly though character creation last night, but was overwhelmed. There's a lot going on here. Today I'm spending time out of game doing some reading, and there is some great stuff out there, but what I could really use is a brief bird's eye view of the game..what's it 'about'? Where should my headspace be? 

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Lusternia is almost a sandbox. It puts out what you put into it. What do you want to do? What do you want to be? What sort of character do you want to develop over time?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Make a fantasy character from a bunch of weird and cool races.

Join a city or commune that fits your characters style. (Ask here if your unsure of the orgs)

Pick a class you like the sound of from that org.

Start doing what you like. This generally ranges from people who like to hunt a lot for pve stuff, leveling up via hunting or influencing, get ready for combat so you can kill people, take part in org/guild/world rp stuff and events ranging from bloody rituals to tea parties.

A quick but bad description I'd give to a total newbie to the genre or game would be that Lusternia is a bit like a pen and paper roleplaying game. It can range from you doing nothing but RP and walking around talking or it can be you sitting there with spreadsheets working out the most optimum build for your multi class gnome fighter/priest/mage or anywhere in between. :dizzy:

• For a lore-oriented perspective:

Long ago the Elder Gods and Soulless Gods fought over the fate of Lusternia. The results of that battle left all but a single basin cradled between mountains devastated. In that Basin the mortal races thrived and eventually raised a great empire known as the Celestian Empire. An unwise Emperor then pierced the prison of an ancient Soulless God, releasing his corrupting essence, the Taint, across the Basin. The mortal races have had centuries to recover, but in doing so they developed into fiercely different factions--some who embraced the Taint, several who fought it but did not agree on how, and some who thought the solutions to all life's problems came in other forms, rather hard science or hard liquor.

Though alliances have formed among organizations, for almost everyone their first loyalty is to their home, or perhaps a guild or divine patron within it.
  • edited October 2018
    Eliron said:
    A daring Emperor, joined by members of multiple nations with their full support save for one little coward named Rowena, then pierced the prison of an ancient Soulless God...
    Fixed that for you.