Treasure Maps

Hi!

It is no secret I do treasure maps, but apparently they changed, and I do not remember seeing a post about it.

Treasure maps no longer give goop, they give goop items (candys, brews, etc).   I am not happy about this, as it means I have a considerable amount of useless (to me) items that no longer do what I needed from them. 

I can no longer spin the wheel, I am very sad.

Can we get the ability to break down goop items, so I do not flood? Even if the goop is sticky?

Comments

• edited January 2019
    I suspect this extends to poteens and genies:

You cover your mouth to stifle a belch, and find yourself rewarded with 8 bags of red lollipops.

As you rub a bottle of sparkling citrine, its numerous facets sparkle with increasing radiance.
    A stream of viscous smoke spills from a bottle of sparkling citrine, curling into a strange yellow genie with crystalline, faceted skin. With a sparkling grin, the genie disappears in a puff of smoke, leaving behind 10 rotten scarves of tattered flesh.
  • edited January 2019
    ...wasn't doing that when I logged in. Why the hell would that be ninja-nerfed out of nowhere?

I'd recommend bugging it.
  • edited January 2019
    Best I don't post.
  • There's a news post that says they are changing them but its really unclear and not very well explained as to how or what they are going to change to.

It sounds like its been changed with no feedback or conversation with the players.

I can understand them needing to be changed but this is not the way to do it. There is an envoy channel, forums, changelog for detailed changed and a brand new envoy system in place. This wasn't a bug fix this was a deliberate change to how things work and again I understand changes need to happen but with changes that effect a lot of peoples toys can we please communicate them ideally before it happens or at the worst as it happens.

The lack of communication from the admin is worrying.

• Part of any of this should probably be to adjust the effort required. Much of the time I never even bothered with maps when they actually gave out coins. 
  • Deichtine said:
    There's a news post that says they are changing them but its really unclear and not very well explained as to how or what they are going to change to.

It sounds like its been changed with no feedback or conversation with the players.

I can understand them needing to be changed but this is not the way to do it. There is an envoy channel, forums, changelog for detailed changed and a brand new envoy system in place. This wasn't a bug fix this was a deliberate change to how things work and again I understand changes need to happen but with changes that effect a lot of peoples toys can we please communicate them ideally before it happens or at the worst as it happens.

Well, let's ask the question then - what would have been an appropriate change that the playerbase would have gotten behind?
  • What sort of level are you looking at? It may be easier to talk about it on envoys or discord though than forums. 

Xenthos raised the point that candies sound a bit sucky he offered a few other suggestions I think.

• It's still a little unclear on what the changes are exactly, could you changelog it or post it here or something as well that'd be really useful thanks.
  • Yes, knowing what, exactly, the changes were will allow us to compare/contrast more effectively.
    Thank you.
  • edited January 2019
    >--------------------------[ Changelog Entry #1617 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: Orael the Anomaly                   Date: 2019-01-08 15:15:07
       o Genie Curios have been changed to give either aethergoop or aethergoop
       craftable items.  
       o Treasure Map Curios have been changed to give aethergoop or aethergoop
       craftable items.  
       o Urtraps have been changed to give aethergoop craftable items rather
       than coins. They will still give the cookies.  
       o Poteen pots have been changed to give aethergoop craftable items
       rather than coins.   
       o Wondercorn has been changed to give either aethergoop or a
       wondercrystal.
    >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<
  • Oh, yeah, I did read that. Sorry Orael.
    What was the logic behind this? Why are coins so bad? Why did we need to get away from them.
    Also, I've never asked for someone to craft nor sought to purchase aethergoop craftable items. I'd much rather have a coin or just the goop.
    For me, that only applies to Urtraps as I don't have genies, maps or poteen pots. I've only ever gotten goop or a crystal from my 'corn so I hadn't noticed the difference there.
  • edited January 2019
    Ok so quick version is you wont get coins or presents from stuff any more.

Urtraps not giving coins is a big thing for me, I literally bought it to get coins. One thing is I can't trade it in.

i'd suggest give these items a trade in value. So give traps, genies and such a reasonable credit trade in value then people who've spent to get them to farm coins can just trade them in for a reasonable credit value instead and buy something else they want.

• Bairloch said:
    What was the logic behind this? Why are coins so bad? Why did we need to get away from them.
    You can spin coins to get everything else - credits, wonder crystals, presents. In small numbers they might be fine but large numbers of urtaps, maps, genies and poteens add up to a solid income. 

I've got about 15 genies and over time they gave me goop per day, thousands of credits from presents, coins and traded in golden lips.

It's a tough call to change them as people bought them as an investment for just that purpose. Maybe they should have been capped at the start but that's with the benefit of hindsight.
  • man, all I ever get from coins is gold and lame dolls. :neutral:
  • DysDys
    edited January 2019
    Yeah. Ultimately I think it's sensible to curb them though it's a painful, unpopular decision for Estarra to have to make.

Investing in all those generators was the rational best value for real money to game currency so a lot of people did.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Orael said:
    Deichtine said:
    There's a news post that says they are changing them but its really unclear and not very well explained as to how or what they are going to change to.

Well, let's ask the question then - what would have been an appropriate change that the playerbase would have gotten behind?
    Discussing it with us before doing it would have been nice.  We could have raised concerns then.
  • On the plus side no more palettes from genies!

I do not mind goop and am happy to get goop.

It would be nice to see the new breakdown of drops from these items (with percentages).

The flip side of this model of course is that you can all earn 20 credits a day from actively playing:

"However, you will then be able to earn daily credits in the game, up to 20 credits a day, through questing and bashing and other ways of participation."

That beats maps!

edited January 2019
    Basically, it boils down to this:
    Getting goop candy is worse than getting raw goop.  Period.  If you got raw goop you could make the candies you want and ignore the junk (or if, like me, you think it's all junk you could just never make any of it).
    If you take a rare reward off of items that is better than the regular goop, and replace it with something worse than regular goop, you are nerfing the items significantly (though it seems like that wasn't the goal, goop candy is just no good).
    Per the announce post:
    I hope you 
    understand this is for the stability of the game and not meant to 'downgrade' 
    any item. Indeed, I'm open to any ideas to help make aethergoop more desirable!
    If you had come to us and said this was your goal, I know that I would have passed along my concerns about candy, and I would have understood the need for making a change on this front (I like to think I've generally been supporting of reworks (a Certain Specific Example excepted), though I usually have a lot of comments / things I'd like to see adjusted.
    For example, if instead of giving lips, that roll gave 400 goop (the tradein value of lips-- 20cr-- converted to goop form) you wouldn't have an issue there. If your goal was parity, simply switching to a standardized currency, that would have been the way to go.  You could also have found / made an aethergoop item worth 600 goop (so it would trade in for 400) that was a consumable ala lips, and made it almost exactly equivalent.
    The coins / presents end of things is a lot more difficult, because a lot of the time they gave junk but sometimes it was nice stuff.  I like collecting the mantles / crowns / brooches.  But discussing it with us could have maybe at least opened up some avenues for thought instead of getting us to go knee-jerk "raaaaargh" because the change is, despite the stated intent, a definite downgrade.
    When you're making a difficult / big change it's better to get at least some player buy-in up front, with no buy-in you just end up with frustration. :(
  • It doesn't matter if you have 1000 coin spins if all your spins are "You won free experience!" or "You won 1000 reishi!". Winning not junk was a lucky roll, not the norm.
  • Just delete all artifact-based metacurrency generation, honestly. Should've done it years ago.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    If you want to see what this change and the retirement change is doing to the game, just keep an eye on the market aether. While this change doesn't piss me off as much as it has everyone else, I have to say that the secrecy (from IRE, we get it) has really hurt people's trust in the administration of the game. The timing is horribly suspect, and I realise that's not your fault. What you've done in the last 24 hours is to all but put nails in the coffin of Lusternia. It'll survive.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • So the main reason I bought an ur'trap is gone, that's good to know
  • Yep, 100% agree with @Shaddus. I've had what was a (un)surprisingly frank apology from Esty, and actually I can live with that. I don't see how the Lusty brand, and the IRE brand more widely can survive this level of a breach of its customers' trust. Honestly, I think ya'll are giving Bethesda a run for its money right now, and the difference seems to be one only of scale. I guess the fact that I wouldn't put another dollar into this company if it discovered The Cure no longer matters as it's going free-to-play (still nfi what that means in this context), but whether Lusty now has enough trust, give-a-damn, and goodwill left to survive as a product is an empirical question.

Honestly, I hope the answer's 'Yes'.
  • can we make ur'traps tradeable?
  • never mind, suicided the character with the ur'trap problem solved
  • So... while Arix's problem may be solved, some of us still have urtraps, enough genies to hit the goop cap without urtraps, more cookies rifted than can be sold, and a market flooded with cookies so they have no value anymore anyways. So.. can we make ur'traps tradeable?

As far as suggestions, make goop generating items have a chance to give out low value goop artis (pins, beepbeeps, dolls) or fortune cookie items. Make beast reagents all goop items, and add them to the table. Things like that.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Shaddus said:
    If you want to see what this change and the retirement change is doing to the game, just keep an eye on the market aether. While this change doesn't piss me off as much as it has everyone else, I have to say that the secrecy (from IRE, we get it) has really hurt people's trust in the administration of the game. The timing is horribly suspect, and I realise that's not your fault. What you've done in the last 24 hours is to all but put nails in the coffin of Lusternia. It'll survive.

I raised the point with admin directly that part of the issue isn't what was done it was the way things were communicated. 

We had a number of posts from admin over the past end of the last year asking for feed back and lack of communication was listed as a major issue.

Whats been done doesn't bother me as much as the way its been done with poor communication.
  • edited January 2019
    I'd like tradeable urtraps please. I have ZERO interest in any of the cookies, either to produce for personal use or to sell. They were always the dross I'd store and forget about. It's a super tedious setup to produce something I don't want, don't think I'll bother activating my urtrap in future. 

Also I agree with Xenthos, just make genies give more goop and relax the caps instead of making them spit out useless goop candies. Woo candies I can.. sell... for... gold? I have no desire for gold. 
  • edited January 2019
    Kalnid said:
    Just delete all artifact-based metacurrency generation, honestly. Should've done it years ago.
    It should have, and ripping the band-aid off now vs then is certainly more impactful in a negative way since a few have generated thousands upon thousands of credits/value from it. It's evidenced quite thoroughly I believe in the last auction, where a couple people dropped many thousands of credits on minimally useful items and staggering amounts on nice ones. I was hoping to buy an item, or two, but me and my [redacted number] of credits were rapidly humbled.

That said, removing coin generation only causes two issues for me personally:
    - Fortune cookie and other promo items are no longer achieved from in game "effort"/currency/trading.
    - Wheel crits clover buff is only available through coins (and clovers which aren't repeatable/sustainable).

I very much like Stratas' idea of fortune cookie/promo items as the low chance drop to replaces lips/coins. Also, allowing the clover to be bought (and rechargable for those who still have it) solves that issue quite simply, or, heck, a one use crits clover buff like lips would work.

edited January 2019
    The issue with that, Ixion, is that it was not the stated intent.  Per the post, it is "not meant to degrade the value, but instead to separate currencies" (in practice they are devalued though).  If they had specifically said "we are revamping these with an intent to reduce the value because we have decided that they generated too much" it would be a very different conversation to my mind.  It is hard to argue the fact that they generated a ton of stuff.  I am, however, taking them at their stated word that it is intended to be a parallel shift and discussing with that in mind.

Edit: I like the ideas you went on to discuss though, giving a way of accessing some of these items we won't be able to get any more.