Project Quest

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Bugs should go into the bug system regardless of this thread or project. When they pertain to newly released content, even more so because their creator/s will look at them then. Ideas for extras for newly released content (like Trem's idea) would also do better in the idea system. The creators are not likely to look here at all because these things are not the scope of this project.

Ideas or major problems with old content are different because then, ultimately, they would fall under the umbrella of this thread eventually. Some of these distinctions are not overt to you because you don't know whether we consider something new, old, or bereft of its creator on staff. That's why no matter what, please still bug things and idea important ideas so nothing falls through the cracks. Thank you!
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Not sure if that thread is still relevant, nor 100% sure anymore if it belongs here, but...

I want to raise attention to the chancel of clangorean mysteries quest once more. Releasing the flame warriors sadly is still not possible 90% of the time due to ( I believe ) one worker missing most of the time. Long story short, you're always one item short and you'll only find out after you've done 30 minutes time investment.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Part of the issue (at least historically) is that a dwarf can hold two items at once.  This means that doing the Dark side is fine (it will drop both items on death), but the other side does not work as well (can only get one item by begging, and not even mist/blankface will save you since there is no indication as to which dwarf was being greedy).
  • Kill them, get amnesty, continue, ????, profit.
    I mostly kill them and give bodies/ items to questers (the items can despawn and pop up into a dwarf too, so if it is living and already begged from you are out of luck but if it is a dead corpse you can pull the item out of its pockets).
  • That sounds like bad planning, if you haven't bugged it already please do and we'll look at it when we can.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    So, addition flame warriors/ chancel quest. I was able to release them today, I think the issue is rather odd, but I'll keep an eye on it before I make a more informed bug report. It -seemed- to me that the missing dwarf suddenly appeared when I started killing some dwarves as per ixion's mention. None of them had a second item to spare though.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Would Frosticia's Iceflow Terminus be considered for looking at since it currently requires only two more wands than there are snow-people on the bubble? I'm also looking ahead to the influencing portion, which I'm told requires more people than present, so while that one might be out of scope being exactly two wands short is a bit of a headache considering at present you're waiting for...technically 5-7 resets? 

(All of the eissfaasia for the tree, all of the snoelorae for the wands [plus 2 more from the next batch {which I'm constituting as a third reset}], then all of them for the influencing, and then shuffling)
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • It's probably been mentioned before, but there was too much to read through to find it, but Dandelion's Garden quest in Faethorn never had an honour attached to it. It's a decently involved quest, I thought it would be nice to have some recognition of completing it if it hasn't been added since I did it last...which was some time ago :smiley:
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Occasionally when doing Marani, the lack of available clues can cause people to need to rely on several rounds of guesswork to get a foothold to be able to complete the rest of the quest. By this time, of course, any of the items that you could/should use on other priestesses may have been used in an incorrect guess (which punishes you by a drain in essence if you're a demi, not sure about non-demis for exp). Is it possible for the unfinished statue to be looked at for giving a slightly wider array of clues and/or not repeating until it has given all the clues it can give for that particular puzzle?

It would certainly save a lot of headache for the Mag epic cycle, since this is the one that causes the most hiccup without being locked behind a certain time (Sea Battle).
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Queen Serelyn quest: can there be more clues for outfit/roles/masks/person, please? I'll try a couple more times maybe, but it's a lot of work to get to the point where you give out costumes to then ruin the whole quest :(
  • edited June 2018
    Not sure this is the right place for this, but I was trying to do a quest that appears to be broken. I was helping some Kephera in the Oleanvir valley. I got their crystals recharged and placed, but then when I was given a dialogue option by their princess, the quest dialogue went back to the start. The other Kephera don't reset, and if you leave and come back, the Princess acts like you weren't there before and asks you again. Then, when you select the option, it gives you the starting text again.
    If a known issue, I'm sorry, I couldn't read through everything.
  • Might have been asked before, but could the Voice quests have honours lines? I think only 2 have the honours (the gaudi-voice fella and Crys)
  • I'm not sure this is the first place to mention it, but the Tolborolla Valley quest doesn't show up on the QUESTS system yet. Also it is more than slightly maddening that the whole thing with the charm and the lady who wants cows isn't even part of the honours quest <.<
  • I've been told before to bug them ingame in order to get them added.
    I am still trying to get someone to look into a quest bug that even made it into an events post <_<

Quest bugs are a nuisance to debug.
  • edited July 2018
    There is the quest with Yishka Feyranti and Ladantine that may be good enough for an honours, it's not yet tracked. But it took me three hours to complete, plus with the risk of Ladantine not able to be raised for sometime after or any Celestians wandering in, I think it should have some sort of honour. The gold payout is pretty good, but not great. Reminds me of the Effervescent Boutique, but a bit simpler. I thought it was cool!
    The cool night-time breeze shivers in the arid caress of the streets of the capital city, brushing the earthen taste of dust across your lips.
    A blessed silence falls upon the city for the moment, most activity confined to the towers and the
    theatre due to the snowy weather.
    Pinprick points of light twinkle in the deep black overhead, their brightness full of a cold,
    hungering malice.
    This project seems to have been mostly defunct for a while.  Is there any thought on reviving it now that there is a higher game emphasis on quests?

I would be more than happy to volunteer time onto it as well, I suspect others would too.  Would it be useful if we did things like pick a quest, try to figure it out on our own, and post the issues / comments / whatever somewhere (just for an admin to review)?  If you gave us an official place to drop our stuff that is not publicly accessible (so as to not be a walkthrough) and a checklist of who did what and what still needs to be done we can work through things.

Maybe offloading some of it to players would help save time.
  • Absolutely not dead, just on hiatus while more pressing issues are attended to. The quest rating system has been brought to you by this project and new quest additions are pending.

Players doing the quests and posting issues/comments would, at present, not be helpful for the purposes of this project. The first stage has always been to add quests to the system, rather than revise/improve quests - there are still over 70 honours that have to be added. If we started reworking/patching quests while adding them, it would slow the process down to a crawl and adding a quest to the system can already get quite involved. That is not to say no improvements are made, where possible a given quest's intro dialogue/hook is redone to include the dialogue system, the start is made more obvious if needed, and keywords are made more prominent and suggested to the player (See: Marinus). On top of that, data which we did not previously have is extracted and gathered (mostly regarding the rewards).

We've had some drafts of quest blurbs sent to us from helpful players but I'm afraid they have rarely been used because they were more often than not off the mark - revealing too much, focusing on the wrong thing, not describing the quest but the area, etc. So we're not asking for that right now either. 

There is one thing you can do to help with this stage though and that is making yourself available. Some older quests are particularly badly documented and if we don't have personal experience with them, figuring out start points or how things are supposed to work is time-consuming. I take it @Xenthos is volunteering as tribute for questions should such come up.

If this changes and we need questers, there will definitely be a post but before we turn the world upside down, it's important that we have our quests in the system first, especially given that it matters now. 
  • While I don't have the breadth of experience that Xenthos does (who does?) I'm more than happy to run through quests for you to find the info you need. Just point me in the right direction.
  • @Bairloch @Ixion has the same/or more experience.
  • it was a joke...
  • Approx time needed to complete Bottledowns quests?
    edited February 2019
    Drocilla said:
    Approx time needed to complete Bottledowns quests?
    Been a long time since I did these quests (back when the aether epic came out).  I seem to recall that the delay was first in earning their trust, and then after that just sitting around waiting for them to speak excruciatingly slowly as you hand things in (artificial delays vs. actual time spent questing).

I went up to give it a shot and see how it looked, but seems like it was already partially done.

For timing purposes, it took me ~8 minutes to turn in 12 (redacted) corpses because they only accept one item at a time and have a long spiel about each thing handed to them.  She needs more than those 12, too.  With all the tradeins, you could assume, what... 30 to 40 minutes spent just handing in the bits that they want?

Looks like you also need to wait for a respawn of (the same redacted as above), there were 14 in the area and she still wants more, so that's another 40 or so minutes tacked on to the time while you wait for them to come back unless they're a faster respawn than usual (which is possible!).  Will see when some return.  But so far after just poking at it for a bit it's looking like a good couple hours.

Edit: The things did respawn pretty quickly, and I got the other bits I needed.  Excluding the time needed to gain their trust to even start the quest, I'd say about 1.5 to 2 hours as a rough guess (not having had to do half of it).  I can't easily determine how long the trust-earning takes since they remember once you've done it the first time and do not require you to keep doing it.  About half that time if you don't count turning things in.
  • Sounds like a weird mechanic.  :/ Thank you, let's estimate it at a 5-6 for now then (will review while adding it) and adjust down the line if needed. We'll have better data down the line.
  • Drocilla said:
    Approx time needed to complete Bottledowns quests?
    If I remember right as well as - the Helping the Figurine Army side is a lot easier, maybe taking only ~30 mins if memory serves (it is just some influencing and a puzzle), but this a lot more due to how the puzzle at end of the quest works (which looks like a bug at first but isn't for whatever odd reason)
  • Drocilla said:
    Sounds like a weird mechanic.  :/ Thank you, let's estimate it at a 5-6 for now then (will review while adding it) and adjust down the line if needed. We'll have better data down the line.
    There are a lot of quests that make you wait between handing things over. It is rather annoying. :/
    Niwynne said:
    Drocilla said:
    Sounds like a weird mechanic.  :/ Thank you, let's estimate it at a 5-6 for now then (will review while adding it) and adjust down the line if needed. We'll have better data down the line.
    There are a lot of quests that make you wait between handing things over. It is rather annoying. :/
    IIRC Bottledowns takes it to an extreme, the others tend not to be quite as long (though it is definitely a nuisance, I far prefer the quests that let you just hand it all in at once).
  • I know of one crafty creator who made you have to pause before feeding some animal lest it chokes. I thought that was very clever and entertaining, and realistic. But what Bottledowns is doing sounds a bit mad. Will have a look to see what the reason is while adding it.