Artifact Review

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Lycidas said:
    Loboshigaru had scent at level 50 originally, got replaced with the influence buffs.
    Are you sure?  I see an envoy report suggesting changing to give them scent, and I found the racial report spreadsheet used to design the new races before they went live... it is a influence buff on that spreadsheet.

It would seem odd that they put it live with something not in the proposal and later change it to the proposal.

I could be wrong I am just trying to get confirmation on this because I don't remember it at all!  Was it a suggestion?  Did it ever make it into the live game?  If so when?  I have been searching on my phone for a while now, but phone searching is not the easiest thing for something like this.

• This was years ago. Like, many many years ago. Not sure why it got taken away, but it was either their level 25 or 50 ability in the live game. I remember going Lobo specifically for it on those older characters.
  • Niwynne said:
    The problem I'm having with these forums is that most arguments seems to end up split down org lines despite the fact that this is supposed to be an OOC discussion focused on the good of the game. One side says illself is a problem, the other says it's not. And vice versa for vitality. And isn't it kind of odd that people with class access to scent are the ones saying scent is too good and the artifact needs to go?

We need solutions that are not one sided, and people need to think things through to their logical conclusion. If noses are removed, does it mean wolf scent also needs to go to make it balanced? What would combat look like in a scentless world? It would make it even easier for people to kick some loyal mobs and run away. Do we want that? If we don't, and scent needs to be an important part of this game that is free to play, lessening the barrier to entry - eg buying the nose - needs to be looked at. The solution could be to give it to everyone in one of the common skills, maybe reworking scan in discernment to work like scent instead of it's current form.

Deciding on whether we want escaping to be easier is quite hard, as it involves thing like, people getting frustrated by kick and run, vs people not wanting to raid due to the fact that escaping is too hard. I don't know if people will be less inclined to raid if they know they will die - maybe dying is not that much of an issue anyway.

Part of it is giving class skills to people without that class.

Eg giving scent to non totems users, giving illusoryself to non glamours users etc.

Its not so much that that one set skill is overpowered in itself its simply that you can access some of the most useful skills specific classes have as every class.

Vitality is restricted to warriors and part of them being tanky but everyone can get it. Etc.
  • Glamours - IllusorySelf
    The glamour is fragile, however, and may only take twice the health of the illusionist in damage before it will be dispelled.

Athletics - Vitality
    You may only activate this ability when on full health and mana. Once active, when you drop to less than twenty-five percent of your maximum health without dying, you will get a sudden rush of adrenaline that will heal you significantly.

I also wouldn't say that Scent is the most powerful Totems skill, even alone in it's own skillset without specialization. Heck, Totems has the counter to noses through Skunk as well.
  • edited March 2019
    maybe that's your answer? a similarly priced arti to counter the nose? a skunk butt rug, perhaps?

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Nose has been in existence for so very long, I really find it surprising that it's only now being flagged as an issue. I mean, there's bean heaps of complaining over the years over artifacts and skills being OP but it's one I've never ever really heard come up, except for the complaint of lots of the skillset being turned into arties. I don't think it, which has been around in the same incarnation for many many years is nearly as much an issue as more recent wonder item effects.

• edited March 2019
    Scent does not break multiple classes' kill method. Illself and vitality do just that. Illself moreso and more widely than vitality. Hence, why people are passionate about it. 
    Lavinya said:
    Nose has been in existence for so very long, I really find it surprising that it's only now being flagged as an issue. I mean, there's bean heaps of complaining over the years over artifacts and skills being OP but it's one I've never ever really heard come up, except for the complaint of lots of the skillset being turned into arties. I don't think it, which has been around in the same incarnation for many many years is nearly as much an issue as more recent wonder item effects.

It has been brought up before.  It makes chasing trivial.  Some people like that, some don't.  "Being around a long time" doesn't make it immune to discussion though, the point of the thread is to raise concerns people have!

The first major scent-chasers were Rivius and Mnemosyne iirc, using it excessively (especially in domoth fights).
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited March 2019
    People are trying to file IllusorySelf and the like into the "grey area" part of this argument, where there are things that are actually grey and hard to solve (scent noses, health runes). Illusoryself, peppermint trueheal, even vitality pendant (I'll kiss it goodbye if I have to :'( ) are a little more obvious in their need of immediate intervention. I don't appreciate people trying to associate them with things that have become probably inextricably linked with a good PvP experience.

To clarify this particular post:

Actually imbalancing artifacts:
    Wonderbrazier Illusoryself (and other things),
    Vitality pendant
    Peppermint trueheal

Artifacts that drastically change the meta but are more or less required to derive any sort of fun:
    Scent Nose
    Health Runes

• edited March 2019
    I think the worst part of this debate, is that things like Vitality pendant are what open a lot of doors for some people to do bashing in high tier areas. I know i personally use it as an "oh shit" button, since being honest, damage kills have been vehemently chased out of PK for longer than most players have been playing. Illself is a bigger deal because when it was first released to the world, Glamours only, it was a Bard skill that gave they're like...7k max hp some buffer because they couldn't wear armour. Now that most combatants (using Demi health, don't screech) is as 12,300 it can be seen as pervasive and I get it. What I don't get, is why we decided it was a good idea to give it to the people who -don't- have this issue of being squishy, especially since this item was released after all the stats changes. Even with the illusion having double your health as a -shield- buffs you up to having effective 36,900 hp versus what vitality giving you a possible effective hp of 18k. Vitality pendant is definitely a grey area, and I'd -still- say it would be worth the goop cost if it only worked on bashing if it absolutely has to be nerfed for whatever reason.
  • Please keep discussions on target. Artifacts and/or powers (in the case of Wonderitems) that imbalance the game upon their introduction and need to be addressed, rather than trying to slap down the classes the skills were taken from in the first place so that "If I cannot have it, neither should they" doesn't start cropping up, shall we?

The balancer to Peppermint Trueheal at least, is that you cannot use it on yourself, only an ally as well as the CD of 1/month: 

- Level 5 (a delectable pole of peppermint candy):
       PEPPERMINT ACTIVATE TRUEHEAL <target> - Performs the equivalent of
       Sacraments on a target other than the user for 5 power.

Not listed there, is that cooldown, but with the Peppermint item at the appropriate level, you do PEPPERMINT ACTIVATE, it shows the limit of 1/month so really not TOO bad till everyone in the enemy team has it and spams it on the one target being focused down as the essential lynchpin (melders usually, sometimes the bard depending on situation). Yes that has come up, either removing the skill entirely or giving it a similar cooldown per target like whiplash was given when 8 people will spam the enchantment on the same target at once despite only one doing anything, may be the better routes to consider. Or perhaps changing it to a temporary boost to curative balance times for the next 20s, to prevent locks, wouldn't hurt overmuch with the same restrictions in place. That way if spammed on a single target, just means charges are wasted as it cannot overlap/extend the timer.

Vitality Pendant. As a Warrior, Vitality is a lifesaver, but its cooldown ensures in combat or PVE I will not be able to rely on it at all save for once. Seeing a target having it is frustrating, but only means I need to strive that much harder to drop them down and once I see it pop I have a good estimate of my own progress and to focus on leaning in on them. That everyone ended up getting it was frustrating as hell, especially since they made Warriors an 'attrition based class' despite IRE in general NOT being suitable for such, and then they gave away one of the very core skills that gave us a leg up TO go the distance in a battle of attrition to absolutely all that could afford it. So yes, I feel the frustration towards that artifact in particular, yet I also do not feel it is really that much of a game changer. Vitality is fairly unreliable on its own for just when it'll proc, you have no control over that. And again, it just marks where about in the battle you are and that it's time to lean more heavily on the one that just had theirs pop. So does little more than broadcast that persons death if anything.

Illusoryself is absolutely awesome to have...for PVE, especially if you want to have a go at supermobs, or an easier time vs masses of regular mobs you'd not otherwise be able to handle (icediggers for instance), so opens up avenues of exploration beyond normal limits for a lot of people. So for hunting purposes, I can agree it being kept PVE only would be ideal. Should make it so that Supermobs ignore Illself as a cautionary, buuut also given current game populations it has also become somewhat essential as a balancer to the fact you just won't get the numbers needed for those kinda raids if you wanted. The problem has always been the impact on PK, as there are a number of classes that just don't have mana or ego kills, or their aff restricted requirements are hindered with SSC and the abbreviated form modern curing has become with the game as it stands. Curing being simplifed wasn't necessarily a bad move, and SSC was an awesome move regardless of any other reasonings (having tried new games without a system...no thanks. So at least having serverside is a nice leg up without having to become a coder, for our true novices) But having one skill especially blocking an entire swath of combat approaches all by itself, since once you burn through it they can just slap it back up again with no cooldown (unlike Vitality), conjoined with what ends up being nearly triple effective health levels thanks to the 50% proc rate of absorbing damage, and needing the full original level of damage absorbed before it fades coupling with basic healing measures...it is a suckerpunch to the gut for any of the games combatants. Reason a lot of us get nonplussed when ANY combat situation comes up, trolling or otherwise, cycles right back to having to deal with that and similar tactics relied on as a major source of headache that completely invalidates most legit approaches, making it easier to just not bother.

Back in the day we had vitals boosts from Demigod Powers, which went away and where promised to return in some form (Powers in general for vanilla Demi's kinda suck and are lackluster overall for combat), and while the Vitals runes certainly make up for their lack, PK skills in general got scaled up a lot to compensate for that. We start pointing fingers at the runes, may have to take into account the sweeping changes needed to dropkick everyone's DPS output across the board to suit.

Nose...essential now. Nerf or break it, you basically state that combat is not desired in general, save for ambush tactics and if it fails, you either better have a kill room for a lust summon prepped, or not bother. Sure, I don't like having scenters insta-chasing me after I've managed to get out of a Nekotai+Harbinger+Shadowdancer combat stomping on me because they can, but falls to me to not engage unless I have an appropriate plan of escape and/or backup in the first place. Group combat is the focus, that plays a part in it as well. And given groups, chasing single targets alone AWAY from your group is suicide, so the very nature of combat practicality itself hinders it being an excessive issue. Someone leaving to pincharge over and over, scented and chased into that room to prevent the adjacent-only skill working, not really a sufficient reason to want it removed, nor that such a call would only skewer heavily in favor of the Communes for such, vs the cities, as no city-classes gain the skill at all naturally without the nose. The fact that it's a REQUIRED buy would be the only legitimate complaint to be had about the nose, personally.
  • Sort of a side note but I would like to point out that Gaudiguch does have access to scent through transmology.
  • Scent just counters cloaking gems in the local area. Combat is really confusing and I'd spend even more time lost and looking for the fight without scent.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Dys said:
    Scent just counters cloaking gems in the local area. Combat is really confusing and I'd spend even more time lost and looking for the fight without scent.
    It's actually why I bought mine - someone would be raiding Nil and I couldn't tell who was even there because of cloaking gems. 

• The argument that something is essential to maintain the status quo is what makes for lazy combatants (which can create imbalance when a more inspired combatant comes along and shows you what you can do) that do not think outside the box and find other ways to achieve the same goal. Window enchantments, maps, scan, warrior pets, some entourage beasts like ribbachi can all level the playing field if you do not have scent. This is not supposed to be a solo adventure, use your allies 

If you use your abilities and read your damn AB files alongside productive and focused conversation you are likely to find you have more available to you than you first thought. 

Lycidas touched on a few problems of Illself when describing its necessity to balance bards. And we have offered some reasonable ideas to tweak Illself so it is a more balanced artifact ability that won't destroy its PVE/PVP worth. 

Reduce the health pool of Illself to something akin to 125%, give it a cool down similar to that of vitality. The 5p cost and the fact that it wears off over time and after damage is taken is more than enough to ensure balance. 
    The argument that something is essential to maintain the status quo is what makes for lazy combatants (which can create imbalance when a more inspired combatant comes along and shows you what you can do) that do not think outside the box and find other ways to achieve the same goal. Window enchantments, maps, scan, warrior pets, some entourage beasts like ribbachi can all level the playing field if you do not have scent. This is not supposed to be a solo adventure, use your allies 

I'm gonna have to give you a 10/10, strong bait. Cheers.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited March 2019
    Hrm. If there's a concern about cost of entry of nose, can also consider making it cheap/trivial for everyone to get, or make a common skill/enchantment.

I think back in the day there were arguments about how easy it is to escape combat if you didn't want to fight. I think even with scent chasing, you can run away fairly easily.

Also, scent-chasing was pretty prominent way before I even started playing this game heh. My own scent-chase coding is based on Iasmos' treant, and even that is predated by Crown I believe. I think the artifact noses only made it more obvious because they show a line when you use them.
    Lavinya said:
    Dys said:
    Scent just counters cloaking gems in the local area. Combat is really confusing and I'd spend even more time lost and looking for the fight without scent.
    It's actually why I bought mine - someone would be raiding Nil and I couldn't tell who was even there because of cloaking gems. 
    Why didn't you use Scan?

My alias is "ss" (scent & scan).  You can block Scent with stink, can only block Scan by being indoors and Nil is mostly outdoors, isn't it?
  • edited March 2019
    If you want noses to not be essential purchases, need to make it nigh impossible for people to escape a room in solo combat. Short of granting everyone fumes-esque like abilities to slow movements in/out of the room (which would ruin a lot of skills on its own), there really is no viable argument against noses to be had at this time. So as a game imbalancing artifact, the only means it is, IS that you absolutely have to buy it if you want to get into fighting at all. As well as a Map due to people hiding in rooms sharing the same name or skunk effects. Frankly, removing or hampering the SCENT ability from the nose would be more imbalancing to combat than dealing with a lot of the artifacts above as people will just take to running away permanently.

You lot trying to make the argument...imagine you have to fight me and I get out. You're going to sit there and argue you're ok with me getting away from you? Since if the nose SCENT gets nerfed, so should the Totems skill as you argue it's the mechanics of SCENT itself that's the issue given how long the artifact and its ability have been in play. I don't like having to stress purchasing it when novices ask me what is a good first artifact for themselves to be useful, and that HAS to be #1 on the list. But that is solely because without it they'll be crippled in any given fight.

Speaking of, saw that mentioned earlier...actually is an artifact already to mimic the effect of Skunk to counter SCENT, just has limited uses per Weave to SPRAY BOTTLE, and effect is that room only rather than following its user. Stealth at least can Veil and be temporarily unSCENTable for a time and still move around.

To a lesser extent than Peppermint Trueheal would be Coal Stealth, towards that. Granting niche skills from select classes with built in balances for why they have it and others don't, to EVERYONE, is the core of this issue. Same reason why the Wondermask Skullface was nerfed, when it proved to not only grant the same, but be superior to the Stealth skill Masquerade.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Also RE: Illusoryself, it actually blew my mind when I learned it worked during combat. Definitely agree it should be PvE only. But that should apply to the skill in general imo, not just the arti.
  • Rivius said:
    Also RE: Illusoryself, it actually blew my mind when I learned it worked during combat. Definitely agree it should be PvE only. But that should apply to the skill in general imo, not just the arti.
    Sadly with that, Bards kinda NEED something like that just to last in their octaves. Unlike most classes, even Warriors, the need to stand absolutely still to maintain their effects, keep the target there, AND survive for it to completion defines the class. And coupled with lesser armour due to Acrobatics enforced as their secondary, the skill works for them. It's just literally everyone ELSE having it yet as mobile as they want to be and far less need to tank absolutely everything flung at them, that it's been a problem. Be a shame if the class got nerfed because the skill was mistakenly just handed out like candy without thought for why it existed in the original form.
  • Nose IS an issue from a design perspective, but it's one so intensly entangled with the balance of the game running back a full RL  decade that there would need to be a whole host of changes to make getting rid of ubiquitous scent make any sense. 
  • In my opinion, we don't need to be as absolute as true/false whether we allow artifacts to have class skills or we don't. As mentioned above, enchantments provide many quality of life abilities such as gust, waterwalking, water breathing, acquisitio, scry, cleanse, etc. that I don't think anyone wants to do without. The difference is that these skills aren't the top tier of the skillset whereas vitality and illself can be considered top tier in the respective skillset. Comparing them to skills such as a Harmony monk's ability to fool assess/discern would be more fair in my opinion then comparing them to scent which does little on the way of hindering other's offense. 
    If you guys want to make scry/window balanceless, that would be fine too. Scent would still be better since you get a whole list of people (if not skunked) while scryers have to focus on one person only.

• I agree with @Maligorn - scent is crucial enough to all combat that locking it behind an org skill (that only 2/6 orgs even have) is likely to cause many problems, especially because one of the most important parts of combat is pinning people down.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."

• Illusoryself is overpowered in PVP for any class. Bards are not untanky in modern lusternia, and I wouldn't use that to justify why its ok in glamours: I'd rather say its ok in glamours because without it glamours would be an exceptionally lackluster tertiary. The opportunity cost of taking glamours for illusoryself is very, very high (also I'm so pleased dramaturgy is now considered optimal for communes, suck it ecology).

Vitality pendant is also highly dubious. 99% of the counters to this are based around the use of refresh power, which by its nature makes numerous impossible things possible. Its less problematic in teams, but my view basically boils down to it just being excessive on classes that are already hard to kill. Noone has really maximised aggressively with illusoryself+vitality+tk forcefield yet, for instance. The reason for that is probably because they don't need to.

Rooting juggling nerf sounds good to me. I like the toggle more than the delay because you can be more reactive with it then, but that's mostly personal preference.

Scent isn't manditory: its just easy, or fights on facility or dramube would be impossible. Personally I'd want to see any changes to the artefact propagate to the skill as well though, and my personal preference would be a 5 second internal cd rather than adding a balance. I doubt this is a battle worth fighting though.

I don't have an issue with trueheal, its one of my favourite kinds of items because of the prohibitive cooldown and not useable on self. It can safely be considered to be a team tool and balanced accordingly.

Wonderbelt quicken shield should probably get a cooldown similar to vitality. Only really a problem in one v one, but very problematic in those given cases.

• Niwynne said:
    The problem I'm having with these forums is that most arguments seems to end up split down org lines despite the fact that this is supposed to be an OOC discussion focused on the good of the game. One side says illself is a problem, the other says it's not. And vice versa for vitality. And isn't it kind of odd that people with class access to scent are the ones saying scent is too good and the artifact needs to go?

Maybe positions, but hardly arguments. This is part of the mess the admin help foster when they consider things based on 'positions' over 'arguements'. Too good is not an argument, it is a position. Everyone can get high vitals is not an argument, it is a position.

• Lycidas said:
    ...Glamours bards are rare as is, and they need the survivability. ...
    They do? Why?
  • Tarken said:

(also I'm so pleased dramaturgy is now considered optimal for communes, suck it ecology).

Lies! :D
  • @Steingrim Well let me do some education. Back in the years before it was an artifact power, back before the buff system, there was Glamours IllusorySelf. They needed it then because their only other option was Tarot. Also, if you're going to use the "Quote" button, ACTUALLY USE SOMETHING I SAID! Don't just snip things, make up something I never said, then continue to snip.

Now then, Glamours definitely isn't an attractive choice, since they all have access to Tarot and that is still widely accepted as the 'go-to' tertiary for the classes that can take it. Back in that time, bards definitely needed that survivability, but if you read something I actually said.
    Lycidas said:
    Illself is a bigger deal because when it was first released to the world, Glamours only, it was a Bard skill that gave they're like...7k max hp some buffer because they couldn't wear armour. Now that most combatants (using Demi health, don't screech) is as 12,300 it can be seen as pervasive and I get it.