Public Release Curing System

I have been pondering this for a fair while now and have even had several discussions with some of the other system developers.

Essentially, what I would like to see is a completely Open Source curing system available for the masses where fixes and additions can be implemented in a much more streamlined fashion.
Anybody will be free to download, modify and even redistribute the system.

This is just an idea at this stage. Obviously if it is not something that a large number of people actually want, or there is tangible reasoning behind -not- releasing such a thing then I'll say hi to the curtains on the idea.

What are the thoughts on this, though? Comment below...

Thanks.

Comments

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    edited June 2013
    As a non-coder, I have to say it's a great idea. I was directed to Treant after playing for a little while and it really made what was extremely onerous (manual curing) suddenly not as big a burden, making me feel encouraged to delve deeper. Having even a basic system freely available for all users would go a long way to us retaining new players, I believe.

• Frankly, I'm of the opinion that basic curing is a crucial element to truly enjoying Lusternia, and having it available to the majority of players for free would likely help newbie retention. I'd think that a more 'barebones' curing system would be a wonderful thing to have openly available to the game. Let people make modules and special functions built off of that, or whatever other basis they'd like. Those make sense to sell, such as a harvesting system, or something to influence perfectly. But basic curing? That's important to all, and to the health of the game.
  • At the very least there needs to be a good, solid and easy to understand system for people who are new, for casual players, and those who's primary interesting is not pk.

A robust afflictions module which could be used for any system (abstracted out well enough) would encourage people to upkeep the system.

I also think that an open source prompt (so we're not slowing systems by having multiple prompts) and an open source GMCP would be really helpful.
  • A public open source system is nice, I had one out for a couple years and there was also Treant. The issue is, the burden of updates and answering questions adds up quickly. I eventually switched over to charging for my curing because it was like a part time job up keeping it. I believe Treant was shutdown for some of the same reasons. For the community, an open source system is amazing and it will help the newbie retention and those wanting to get into combat, but unable to afford it. For the developer, its fun, which quickly becomes a nightmare once the masses pick the system up.
  • Oh, I am well versed and more than experienced when it comes to releasing systems, as well you know, so it's hardly surprising when I find myself agreeing with everything you said, heh.

Time will tell, though. Ideally, there will be a number of maintainers, although precedence has always dictated otherwise!
  • Steingrim said:
    I also think that an open source prompt (so we're not slowing systems by having multiple prompts) and an open source GMCP would be really helpful.
    Aye, the locked down prompt function will certainly not be present, should this ever come to fruition. That 'feature' is exclusive to Saracen and is part of the DRM.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    I mentioned this in the "Question of the day" thread Estarra posted. I think having basic free systems is pretty much essential to the growth of a game like this.  That initial getting some sort of simple system is probably the biggest hurdle for newbies (after learning the basics of commands), and its something that I think should even be encouraged (and hosted/distributed) in an official capacity by admin and not just at a player level.

Not to say I have anything against it on a player level either - all for it.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I'm not sure what's limiting the full roll out of the arena auto-curing, but do agree free accessibility of a curing system would be very beneficial for the game.
  • I don't think this is something we need to worry about.

I have faith that, within a month or two, the server-side auto curing will be up and running for newbies to enjoy.
  • Kio said:
    I don't think this is something we need to worry about. I have faith that, within a month or two, the server-side auto curing will be up and running for newbies to enjoy.
    Well, whether that is ready or not (We have been waiting -well- over a year so far) I do firmly believe that something like this can benefit a broad range of people. Initial feedback certainly looks great!

Thanks, guys.
  • Kio said:
    I don't think this is something we need to worry about. I have faith that, within a month or two, the server-side auto curing will be up and running for newbies to enjoy.

That won't mean the system is via(l)ble pun intended. Unless it is going to properly handle curing and spam/flake out they’ll be a need for this.

• Draylor said:
    Steingrim said:
    Aye, the locked down prompt function will certainly not be present, should this ever come to fruition. That 'feature' is exclusive to Saracen and is part of the DRM.
    My point was not a stab at any one system it was a comment that if each system is using their own prompt, M&M, Demonnic, etc, etc, etc... that I assume all those prompt triggers have to be hitting the parser pretty hard.

Is it not possible to instead have an open source prompt trigger, have it raise several events, then raise a prompt fire event and have each programmers rewrite their systems to use uber opensource gatekeeper prompt system. I'm not saying that is the best exact why to code such a system, but it seems like commonly shared parts of a system could benefit from becoming 'opensourced libraries' of some sort.
  • Just a note.

Medic! is free and available for any basic curing needs:
  • Steingrim said:
    Stuff.
    Oh! Am with you now. Sorry! Yeah, that'd certainly be a very good thing. Regardless, it's pretty trivial to just do a search/replace on the script.

As for the system, the intent would be to have a good quality system with proper timing, curing priority, etc. Basically all the things you get when you pay for a system, but for free.
  • Morning, guys.

Okay, so things are looking promising, but if I might get a show of hands from those people who would be willing to contribute on such a project...
    I'm more than happy to deal with the curing and UI stuff. Help with other aspects would be massively appreciated.

*** You do not need to know how to script with Lua to be able to help out! ***

If you could make me aware of your interest by emailing me: support@pharanyx.com

Thanks!
  • edited February 2014

• You've done it more than once before. I don't blame you for not wanting to give it another shot, heh.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    If it weren't for Treant, I probably would never have stuck out playing. So I tip my hat to you, Iasmos!

• I designed Medic! to be exactly this. Free, easy to use, open source. It doesn't have priorities because I was trying to focus on simplicity and getting something newbie friendly out there. I did, however, build it intending for people to be able to expand on it themselves. I've been toying around with the idea of making a version with customizable priorities as a paid add-on, but I don't play much anymore, so I keep forgetting I'm supposed to be doing that. >_>

I would love to have some coding to do in my spare time though, so feel free ask me to mod any of my existing stuff to suit your needs. Also feel free to do it yourself! I don't mind people messing around with my code.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I like Medic, and tend to use it on my barebones profile for Mudlet when I don't buy vadi's for an alt, but there's a lack of documentation.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • It should all be in the forum post. If something is missing, please comment there so I can know about it! I am basically starving for feedback about my system guys, help me out here.