Artifact Ideas

Comments

• edited November 2012
    How about items that are described in plural in the longdesc, but can only be probed in its singular? Should we bug those as well?

And I'd still love this artifact. It'd make it much easier to know if an item simply isn't spawned, or if I'm probing something the wrong way.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited November 2012
    Zvoltz said:

If you guys are finding items that are mismatched to their description, like "drapes" instead of "curtains", please bug those.

The problem is that we cannot find them on our own; they are discovered when we complain about items hiding too well and a friendly admin looks into it for us.

• Kiradawea said:
    How about items that are described in plural in the longdesc, but can only be probed in its singular? Should we bug those as well?
    Yes, please.

• Surveyor's Goggles: SURVEY <mob> to see how many of that mob currently exist in the area. Useful for the avid hunter who could make good use of the time it takes to see that a place is totally bashed out.
  • Distracting Charm Bracelet: Flash your charm bracelet at a denizen and they'll instantly forget what they were concentrating on. Allows a mob to be reinfluenced before its normal reset time. Usable once per Lusternian day. For those awkward times you accidentally used the wrong influence attack mid-quest. Can't be used in villages during revolts.

;_; Guess what prompted this.
  • Skye said:
    Surveyor's Goggles: SURVEY <mob> to see how many of that mob currently exist in the area. Useful for the avid hunter who could make good use of the time it takes to see that a place is totally bashed out.
    That falls in under the purvey of Hunting, as it is very similar to Prints. While I would love to have the Prints ability, Prints is also perhaps the best ability in Hunting (for me, the only worthwhile one) and it doesn't feel fair to steal the best ability from a skill.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Kiradawea said:
    Skye said:
    Surveyor's Goggles: SURVEY <mob> to see how many of that mob currently exist in the area. Useful for the avid hunter who could make good use of the time it takes to see that a place is totally bashed out.
    That falls in under the purvey of Hunting, as it is very similar to Prints. While I would love to have the Prints ability, Prints is also perhaps the best ability in Hunting (for me, the only worthwhile one) and it doesn't feel fair to steal the best ability from a skill.
    I dunno, Totems Wolf (Scent) can beg to differ.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    To be fair, scent feels so darn essential to group combat sometimes, that I definitely think arti is justified.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia

Rivius said:
    To be fair, scent feels so darn essential to group combat sometimes, that I definitely think arti is justified.
    Nothing quite like hearing loyals cry out, going to defend and having no way of knowing who is there thanks to cloaking gems.

• Zvoltz said:
    Kiradawea said:
    Yes, please.
    @Zvoltz it seems there's some disagreement, as when I reported such a problem I got back

"Your report has been reviewed and is not considered a typo. Thank you for reporting."
  • While we're on the topic of stealing from Hunting, an artifact that serves the same function as the Retriever ability (bond seek to find mobs/items/person in the same area) in Tracking.

• No no. Some things need to stay skill specific.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Manse/Aethership linking artifact I brought up on the old forums plz.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Let's do this! Version 5:

Kiakodan Pollen - when held in the inventory, anyone who says the user's name will make the user sneeze. If you want this to be even more fun, allow it to work off tells and channels as well.

Crumkane's cookie - a cookie that you can eat over and over and over for some sustenance. Usable twice per game day.

A beacon of ice - generates one ice larva in the the user's room once per IC year.

A time contraption - allows you to set your age once, contraption gets destroyed afterwards

A book of regional dialects - allows you to give your says an accent or voice. Ex: Shuyin says in a whiny voice, "Nerf" - subject to admin review/approval.

Mark of racial superiority - allows you to change your perceived race to any of the spec-specific adjectives without actually changing your stats - ex: Shuyin the kephera can choose to be displayed as a royal kephera without zenobia being up, etc.

A gnomish hose - fills a room with actual water, making you need to SWIM to get in/out.

A heavenly drill - allows you to temporarily change indoor rooms to outdoors for a few seconds, allowing you to fly/etc.

A fierce ring of death - allows a player to challenge another player to a game of rock-paper-scissors.

Mechanical crank - keeps musicboxes playing until you STOP CRANK, then they'll run their timer down naturally. Maybe have it work for pocketwatches too, but not a big deal. 

Balloon rune. - heavily reduces your summon resistance when worn. 

Minimap - catacombs map for the user only, doesn't take entourages (player, etc), stopped by distort.

Scorpion's Tail - with this item in your inventory, lets you envenom your weapons with any existing poison.

Ranger's toolbelt - laying traps won't cost comms, but disarming gets you nothing.

Boots of Shanth - Increased movement beyond that that of the winged sandals of haste (+2), basically an upgrade of the sandals. I'd be pretty happy if there was a tier even higher than that.

Stretched skin - adds +100 tattoo weight to a body part. If you want to gouge people, make one for every body part.

A card of the fates - a blank tarot card that allows you to inscribe any tarot card on it once every IC year, acts like an infinite version of the card inscribed

Mote of the fates - same as above, only for motes

Rune of the fates - same as above, only for runes

Pound of flesh - generates a specific flesh once per IC day, syntax is WEIGH (flesh)

Gem mine - same as the flesh, only for charged gems

Divine feast - add 40 demi weight, upgrade of manna.

Night's cauldron: replaces a SD's cauldron, generate shadows every IC day, up to 200

Mark of the stars - bestows a random astrology sphere on you once per IC day, weighted to be beneficial.

Shroud of Atropos - Hides the user's kills from deathsense.

Dimensional Key - allows you to send portals (like in Veneration) to another player, stopped by everything that stops portals. Entering a portal while a monolith is dropped will prevent successful entry as well.

Vanity Mirror - allows the user to generate 1 reflection of himself, like the Beastmastery/Glamours ability.

Bolas - when wielded, allows you to throw them at a target, entangling them. Can be done directionally as well.
  • edited November 2012

Shuyin said:
    Scorpion's Tail - with this item in your inventory, lets you envenom your weapons with any existing poison.
    Nothing Matters but this Artifact!
  • Curio/Ikon Collector Notebook (seperate artifacts)

A small notebook for those who enjoy collecting Curios and Ikons. It shows you just how many Ikons/Curios there are in a particular set (either as a bunch of ??? until you've owned the piece at least once, or with a name all the time so you know exactly what you're looking for) as well as notifying you if the piece is currently in your collection or not.

Not hugely needed, but I think it'd be a neat little nod to collectors, as well as a fun way to show off your collection.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Only if it speaks and gives nice facts when you receive a new Ikon/see someone else playing an Ikon you haven't encountered.

...maybe I just really want it to be a Pokedex, okay?
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • In the same vein as the emote artifact...

Mask of the Changeling:

Must be worn to activate.

Causes other players to perceive you as being the same race as them when they LOOK or HONOURS you. Does not change actual race.
    In the same vein as the emote artifact...

Mask of the Changeling:

Must be worn to activate.

Causes other players to perceive you as being the same race as them when they LOOK or HONOURS you. Does not change actual race.
    That would be...a little weird, I think? I mean if I was looking around at all of the merians in Celest (that are very decidedly described as merians) and happened across a few that are -supposedly- trill...just scaly, aquatic and without wings or feathers of any sort...that would sort of bother me :/

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    Clearly it would require a set of pre-defined descriptions for each race, then (that the player has no control over). So trills see you as a generic trill, merians as a generic fish, and so on.

I am not sure I get the point though. Why not just use the cameo and / or race hats?
  • Icewynd Freezer:

A cabinet that allows you to keep corpses contained inside last much longer. Has a capacity of 20 corpses.
    Sakr said:
    Icewynd Freezer:

A cabinet that allows you to keep corpses contained inside last much longer. Has a capacity of 20 corpses.
    Not a good idea.  Most NPCs work like this: There is one specific ID# (ie for each Krokani), and it lives in the Moors.  When you kill it, it is a corpse and sits around in your inventory.  When it respawns, it disappears from your inventory and is restored to life (this is why you do not get a decay message for it).

If you were to "put it in a freezer" to keep it from respawning, well, you would basically be making it so people could never, ever get at it.  What if I killed Surtami and the krokani cook and put them in the freezer?  All the Manifestations of the Dreaming?  And so on and so forth.

NPCs need to respawn.  Let the NPCs be free!
  • But I was thinking about those items that need harder to get commodities, like angels, or cherubs. If there is an artifact that duplicates it maybe? So that if you put it in the freezer, you can use that commodity later on without having to risk going through and getting that commodity again - and it won't keep it from respawning too.

Or if you need to leave the realms, but there are still things you need to create that need corpses, you can save your work without going through the process of collecting the body parts again.
    There is an even larger argument to be made against "duplicating" corpses. What the heck would happen if you attacked Magnagora's Megalith with 3 Nifilhemas at once?

I understand what you're looking for, but it is just so abusable (in either format) that I can't see it going through. :(

At they very least they'd have to rewrite how commodities work so that frozen items can be used in designs but not for *anything else*.
  • If you have trouble getting the corpses you need for commodities for an item, don't make items with corpse commodities.
  • Just in case this is looked at more for Artifact Packages than the post:

An idea for a new artifact package:

A Theater Ikon

One miniature of a stage and a 50 ikon package
  • edited December 2012
    The lucky clover from the wheel, would it be possible to turn trade it in like any other artifact for 5 credits or so? So when you turn it in, it takes away 24 hours. If you have less than 24 hours it cannot be traded in?

edit:
    crit bonus (1484h, 7m)...
    (m&m): Additional defences:
    [X] crit bonus (319h, 26m)

Hah, don't I wish it. I could use 66 credits. The problem is, however, the critical hits bonus is a minor and exceedingly common reward. Making this trade possible would pump out a lot of credits (despite credits being a fairly uncommon Wheel reward at present) and upset the balance.

Not that it hasn't been done before, but hey.

-

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    At least let us turn it into some sort of influence booster. :(