Aethertraders!

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Jolanthe said:
    Estarra said:
    I should clarify that the first level that makes trading possible is 100 commodities BUT the skill level of the crafter is also taken into account. (I can look at jewelery again though to make sure nothing strange is going on.)
    Would Beauteous Working be having some sort of effect on it? Maybe if prestige has some tie-in, that'd explain it.
    I have it active.  Didn't help me with my stuff at all.  More comms (using Cooking), no tradein value.
  • edited March 2019

There is no benefit to the overall economy as a result of this addition as, fundamentally, affecting stockpiles - of comms of all things  - does nothing to create a more dynamic, interesting, or interactive experience for anyone. What this does is create further incentive* for players to clean out all of the shops of existing merchandise. This makes it even harder for newer characters to get the supplies they need, and creates an even larger incentive to make permanent all of these trade items you use, as it will be much harder to replace them if the shops are cleared. Jewelry items include enchants, and there have been absolute lamentations at the difficulty of finding enchanters to provide those items for so long. Making this method of cleaning out shops easier or more profitable will only exacerbate the overall economy. Some big stockpiles may go "down" somewhat, but only by virtue of being shifted into a *much more powerful currency that has a DRAMATICALLY LARGER impact on the game*! It's not removing the impact of stockpiles, it's  tremendously increasing them [to frankly an almost infinite degree, as out of circulation stockpiles have no impact on other players]! This displays the same characteristic misunderstanding of the game's economy that got it to the sorry state it's currently in. Baffling. 

Aethercrafting and aether uncrafting have both been roundly repudiated by player feedback at every stage, continuing to devote even incidental resources to them is critical mismanagement. ESPECIALLY in a way that is essentially competitive (if not directly a PvP mechanic) , when a new forum thread starts practically every day lamenting the ongoing slow death of competition in Lusternia of any type. Never fear though, this created no delays in coming out with yet another PvP arena rolling out soon! Again: Baffled. 

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Putting them on bubbles makes it that much harder for anyone who doesn't own bubblixes, or isn't swimming in goop/has genies for buttons to burn. 

One person only at a time means the fastest wins and will likely mean rich getting richer (on goop) and the poorer aren't looking for gold or comm sinks and will likely not participate.

• Lavinya said:
    Putting them on bubbles makes it that much harder for anyone who doesn't own bubblixes, or isn't swimming in goop/has genies for buttons to burn. 

One person only at a time means the fastest wins and will likely mean rich getting richer (on goop) and the poorer aren't looking for gold or comm sinks and will likely not participate.
    And they'll be doing so on the basis of clearing out shops with goods they don't need, but everyone else might. By directly making the economy worse and more miserable for everyone else. 
  • they say if you have something mean to say to write it down and then burn the letter.

*burns letter*
  • I had a greatrobe with over 100 materials in it that was valued at nothing by the trader. After some flailing around I refined it once for gold and got a bunch of scarves and feel I got a good deal.

I've never crafted goop items but I'll use them if there's a neat way to get them like this.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Most recent communication for the Traders Affiliation:
    1 ) 2019/03/30 09:56:17 - Chef Gioia Shucks: "I've just arrived in Aquagoria! Will I be able to find
    some fine food here, I wonder?"
    2 ) 2019/03/30 10:09:31 - Delsea: "Seeking a bookbinder to craft a stamp."
    3 ) 2019/03/30 10:26:05 - Rubie Royale: "I've just arrived in the Great Spirit Tree! Will I be able
    to find some fine jewellery here, I wonder?"
    4 ) 2019/03/30 10:56:53 - Chef Gioia Shucks: "I've just arrived in Mucklemarsh! Will I be able to
    find some fine food here, I wonder?"
    5 ) 2019/03/30 11:03:45 - Raphie DiGagio: "I've just arrived in Frosticia! Will I be able to find
    some haute couture here, I wonder?"
    6 ) 2019/03/30 11:57:25 - Chef Gioia Shucks: "I've just arrived in the Facility! Will I be able to
    find some fine food here, I wonder?"
    7 ) 2019/03/30 12:03:44 - Rubie Royale: "I've just arrived in the Workshop of Xion! Will I be able
    to find some fine jewellery here, I wonder?"
    8 ) 2019/03/30 12:07:53 - Raphie DiGagio: "I've just arrived in Crumkindivia! Will I be able to find
    some haute couture here, I wonder?"
    9 ) 2019/03/30 12:57:54 - Chef Gioia Shucks: "I've just arrived in Lyraa Ey Rielys! Will I be able
    to find some fine food here, I wonder?"
    10) 2019/03/30 13:04:17 - Rubie Royale: "I've just arrived in the Cankermore Battlegrounds! Will I
    be able to find some fine jewellery here, I wonder?"
    11) 2019/03/30 13:10:02 - Raphie DiGagio: "I've just arrived in the Bubble of Bottledowns! Will I be
    able to find some haute couture here, I wonder?"
    12) 2019/03/30 13:58:29 - Chef Gioia Shucks: "I've just arrived in Lyraa Ey Rielys! Will I be able
    to find some fine food here, I wonder?"
    13) 2019/03/30 14:04:53 - Rubie Royale: "I've just arrived in the Facility! Will I be able to find
    some fine jewellery here, I wonder?"
    14) 2019/03/30 14:10:38 - Raphie DiGagio: "I've just arrived in the Workshop of Xion! Will I be able
    to find some haute couture here, I wonder?"
    15) 2019/03/30 14:59:08 - Chef Gioia Shucks: "I've just arrived in Aquagoria! Will I be able to find
    some fine food here, I wonder?"
    16) 2019/03/30 15:05:33 - Rubie Royale: "I've just arrived in Crumkindivia! Will I be able to find
    some fine jewellery here, I wonder?"
    17) 2019/03/30 15:11:18 - Raphie DiGagio: "I've just arrived in the Great Spirit Tree! Will I be
    able to find some haute couture here, I wonder?"
    18) 2019/03/30 15:59:51 - Chef Gioia Shucks: "I've just arrived in the Bubble of Bottledowns! Will I
    be able to find some fine food here, I wonder?"
    19) 2019/03/30 16:06:16 - Rubie Royale: "I've just arrived in the Cankermore Battlegrounds! Will I
    be able to find some fine jewellery here, I wonder?"
    20) 2019/03/30 16:12:01 - Raphie DiGagio: "I've just arrived in the Dramube Triangle! Will I be able
    to find some haute couture here, I wonder?"
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • So they seem roughly 61 minute respawn timers and can be at any bubble with no pattern that I could discern except that they seem to have a possible favored bubble (based on sample size given, nothing else)
  • edited March 2019
    Ok, so one thing I foresee being a problem is an absolute shortage of salt. At 5 salt to disenchant per "charge", people are going to go through salt very quickly, but salt is only generated with a small failure chance in gemcutting, so the production can't keep up with the demand. This might not be a problem otherwise, but alchemists and astrologers, among other skills, also need salt, and will likely face a critical shortage. There's already 0 salt to be found at the aetherplex.

Solution: let jewellers have a GEMCUT SALT command that will turn gem commodities into salt instead of gems. Alternate solution: let people disenchant aetherscarves using gold or power or other comms instead of salt.

Edit: in terms of numbers, I cut about 500 gems and got 50 salt. That's enough to disenchant 10 charges of a button. This is going to be a problem for sure.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • Why not just change it to sulfur? That'd make more sense for a sort of alchemic deconstructing thing anyways, right?
  • It would still be the same problem in the long-run.
  • Lycidas said:
    It would still be the same problem in the long-run.
    It will still be fairly rare, but astrologers and cooks don't need sulfur. Between the two, sulfur is comparatively less used. What other uses are there for sulfur?

• I think Lowmagic has a purpose, but I definitely see your point. Though it won't necessarily matter what the breakdown material is if it is rare or has no way of getting it on purpose.
  • Shamans do need small amounts of sulfur! 
  • Although it defeats the purpose of having a comm cost to deconstructing, what about allowing the alchemist pocketwatch artifact (ashop 57, allows you to SPARKLE SALT/SULFER at no cost. This works on shielding/breaking shields as well as shaman fire blessing). This really doesn't solve the problem and just makes another 'required' artifact, but without giving us a way to make salt, I don't think hoping for gemcut fails, no matter what the chance is, is the way to go for getting salt supplies for this.
  • Side note, can there be some toggle to ignore the Aethertraders on market and gag them from the listing? I usually like to check market history to see if anyone's been having trouble finding something/one, but it's going to be downright impossible with the trader spam.

Failing that, I guess ads can just get used more, but meh.

• edited March 2019
    I propose mercury. I'm not sure if anyone needs mercury for things, but atleast something good can come out of failed oven firings up!
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Coraline said:
    I propose mercury. I'm not sure if anyone needs mercury for things, but atleast something good can come out of failed oven firings up!
    Used to make quicksilver, not sure if much else.
  • Jolanthe said:
    Coraline said:
    Used to make quicksilver, not sure if much else.
    Ah, quicksilver is handy... I need to hand my copious amounts of mercury to a friendly neighborhood alchemist...
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Coraline said:
    Mercury is from failed cooking attempts. This would probably be the same problem.
  • Might we get a config to turn off the gnomes constant market ads for their location if we're not interested?
  • I think the easiest solution would just be to let us use gold or power to disenchant as an alternative to salt - there's no reason to bottleneck it on one particular commodity. Or even reduce the cost from 5 salt to 1 salt. 
  • >--------------------------[ Changelog Entry #1665 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: Orael the Anomaly                   Date: 2019-03-31 03:50:30

o Breaking down aethergoop items now only costs 1 salt per.

o There is a slightly higher chance to get salt when breaking gemstones.

o You can now CONFIG AETHERTRADE OFF to not hear aethertraders on the
       market channel.
    >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

For those following along by phone.

• Going from 5 salt to 1 salt is a huge relief, so props for that. Though it feels like I've been cutting even less salt after the changelog than before - I'm not sure if I'm just unlucky or if a wire got crossed somewhere, but I got 30ish bags of salt for 500 gem comms.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm going to retract a majority of my earlier negative comments about this, but it's still heavily inclined towards people who already have bubblixes or ways to get to bubbles quickly.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • You can use buttons to get to the aetherbubbles as well. Being that you can get up to 50+ buttons on one trade, I bet they'll be more available (not to mention if there's a demand for certain buttons, jewellers can just start making them).
  • Enya said:

Aethercrafting and aether uncrafting have both been roundly repudiated by player feedback at every stage, continuing to devote even incidental resources to them is critical mismanagement. ESPECIALLY in a way that is essentially competitive (if not directly a PvP mechanic) , when a new forum thread starts practically every day lamenting the ongoing slow death of competition in Lusternia of any type. Never fear though, this created no delays in coming out with yet another PvP arena rolling out soon! Again: Baffled. 

Many of the in game artifacts require goop. One of the largest complaints is a lack of 'value' for trades. this helps address both. It might not do the later in the manner you wanted, but, it does add value.

• Enya said:

... What this does is create further incentive* for players to clean out all of the shops of existing merchandise. This makes it even harder for newer characters to get the supplies they need, and creates an even larger incentive to make permanent all of these trade items you use, as it will be much harder to replace them if the shops are cleared. Jewelry items include enchants, and there have been absolute lamentations at the difficulty of finding enchanters to provide those items for so long. Making this method of cleaning out shops easier or more profitable will only exacerbate the overall economy. Some big stockpiles may go "down" somewhat, but only by virtue of being shifted into a *much more powerful currency that has a DRAMATICALLY LARGER impact on the game*! It's not removing the impact of stockpiles, it's  tremendously increasing them [to frankly an almost infinite degree, as out of circulation stockpiles have no impact on other players]! This displays the same characteristic misunderstanding of the game's economy that got it to the sorry state it's currently in. Baffling. 

I think you're greatly overstating the effect on shops and that is assuming it even is an effect. Cleaning out shops why? The items need to be the same item. Maybe some crafters might use it to clear out stock that doesn't move or overstock. But, if it isn't moving it might as well not even be there.

I could just as easily argue if I am going to skillflex to jewellery to use this system then I'm more likely to put excess items up for sale in my shop.

The people I've seen complaining about lack of enchanters are those who want enchanters to put enchantments on their items.

If you think there's a lack of enchantments in the aetherplex you post which on the boards, or mention it on market, or take out and ad. I just looked across several characters and did not see a lack of enchantments in the 

• Lavinya said:

While I get the concern,  is there any evidence that the rich care enough about this that they're spending huge amounts of time hording? I've done two trades myself.

I get that you wrote this before Estarra's reply, but there are buttons. If you don't have the buttons you need wait, trade for them, or even buy a few.

Or, you know make the item and find a courier to take them to the bubble and hand them in.

• @Estarra

If the item isn't going to change its look, can we get the item's noun to include its type, e.g. 'unique'?