Upcoming System: Timequakes!

Comments

• What if the level 5 powers never affect enemies but only its citizens/commune members and can't be countered? It'd still be PVP-based (but not necessarily!) but may not have that 'griefing' connotation. Maybe they can last longer than 5 minutes. What if they last an hour and are constant on that area and multiple orgs can have them up in same area? Just spitballing here but:
    • Level 5 Nature: All members of city/commune have healing bonus of 25%, useable on area in a non-prime known plane (ethereal, elemental, cosmic, astral). 10 archpower, lasts 60 minutes.
    • Level 5 Knowledge: All members of city/commune have 50% max mana, useable on area in a non-prime known plane (ethereal, elemental, cosmic, astral). 10 archpower, lasts 60 minutes.
    • Level 5 Death: All members of city/commune do 25% more damage, useable on area in a non-prime known plane (ethereal, elemental, cosmic, astral). 10 archpower, lasts 60 minutes.
    • Level 5 Beauty: All members of city/commune have 50% max ego, useable on area in a non-prime known plane (ethereal, elemental, cosmic, astral). 10 archpower, lasts 60 minutes.
    These are just fast examples, but the point is that we don't have to be stuck on anything. There really are no parameters and outside-of-the-box ideas sometimes turn out really well!

• edited April 2019
    So, I like where you're going, but as I promised here are also my rough drafts for ideas that are great benefits to have, but have little to do in the way of PK, or at least making it anymore lopsided.

NATURE
    Level 5: Nurturing Nature - Cause the area you are in to regenrate any missing plants to five, apply the effects of Nature Growth and the watering can. Activate for 10 archpower.

While this could technically encourage strip harvesting by allowing the negation of the negative effects, it is also there for those that are seeking damage control instead of having to rummage around to try and replant it themselves, which is limited to only a few people, taking the strain off Druids/Wiccans.

KNOWLEDGE
    Level 5: Keen Knowledge - Gain the effects of aetherial quickening as well as the ability to travel to any permanent milestone within the basin. Activate for 10 archpower, duration lasts until logout.

Combines ring of aetheric quickening and compass of true direction to offer utility to those that seek it, without outright altering how PK functions.

DEATH
    Level 5: Defy Death -Upon the next time you would be slain, you are instead placed within stasis for five seconds. You cannot take any action, nor can you be effected by aggressive actions. During this time you can choose to teleport to the Portal of Fate or be revived at 50% vitals and no defenses. Activate for 10 archpower, defense until death, cooldown of a game month when the effect triggers.

Grants the user an arguably better version of vitae so that they can choose to use that time to stay or get out of dodge. Cooldown is meant to be long so that this doesn't just become a way to grief raiding. The half vitals enforces the choice of standing your ground with the possibility of it being quickly used against you.

BEAUTY
    Level 5: Beauteous Bounty - Gain the effects of Endowment of the Arts, selecting a trade skill you have access to. This trade is not apart of skillflexing and requires this power to change or enable the tradeskill. Activate for 10 archpower for a duration of 24 hours and requires 10 archpower afterwards to upkeep before this power goes dormant. Changing the tradeskill costs 5 archpower and does not extend the duration of the activation.

Because it is the effects rather than the actual item itself, it -should- stack, even if we have to make a separate flag for it. This means someone can technically have base, Demigod power, Endowment, Beauteous Working, and now this if they are truly motivated by crafting. All in all, this project will allow the smaller population to cover more ground.

These are just ideas, like all my others. These would be appealing to people, without being the driving goal or requirement. I've made these to be great utility to have, but not at all required, as I believe you should be picking a research project for the other four powers, not just the capstone.

• edited April 2019
    Temporal power to force an entire area to respawn all dead mobs.
    A very short duration self-banish could be cool.
    I'm not crazy about the Keen Knowledge idea just because it's entirely useless for guardians.Scratch that that's not how ring of quickening works. Faster teleports are nice I guess? somehow it doesn't feel tier five nice.
    Anyway, any 'affects a known outer plane for duration' like this is going to run into the same problems mentioned before.
  • I would pay for faster teleports.
  • @Estarra Could you share what sort of upkeep costs we would be looking at for each level?  I think something equally as important as the power itself is the cost it is going to take to maintain it.
  • Random power ideas:
    • Bal/eq reduction or rate increase on crafting/enchanting/harvesting/gemcutting
    • Archpower replaces non-riftable commodities in a recipe, X archpower/Xmins. E.g. if a recipe needs 5 infernobeetles, 100 cloth, 5 diamonds you don't have to go hunt the infernobeetles whilst this power is active.
    • Each item crafted creates two items for the same commodities, X archpower/month
    • Even the odds - on your org's home plane (Earth/Nil for Mag etc), increase vitals, curing rate/power regen rate if outnumbered. Scales by amount outnumbered. Measured by enemies Vs allies on plane. Select up to 3 orgs as enemies, the rest are automatically allies, can only changec once/year. X archpower/month.
  • Kalnid said:
    Faster teleports are nice I guess? somehow it doesn't feel tier five nice.
    Lycidas said:
    I've made these to be great utility to have, but not at all required, as I believe you should be picking a research project for the other four powers, not just the capstone.

Capstone being tier five. Also, that is essentially 850 credits worth of utility for a single anomaly, which honestly isn't a bad deal, considering I suggested it last until logout.
  • @Lycidas For Beauteous Bounty, it sounds like you mean Endowment of the Arts (Activate additional Tradeskill) instead of Manna of the Gods (+30 Demipower). I'd consider the cost (10 archpower for an additional trade that last until the project decays) to be way too little. We're talking things that cost 2000 crs, or 70 million demiessence. It would probably need to be like, 100 archpower to activate, and then a monthly maintenance cost, or lasts for a year, or something.

Overall, I think these are all WAY better than the currently suggested capstones. Much better direction.
  • You are indeed correct and I edited the artifact. The reason I have it at 10 is simply to attract people to -want- to take Beauty, as it really doesn't have a strong draw to it as is. Communes could technically ignore Nature's capstone because they have means to handle this, so Beauty might be an attractive pick. I'd still take Nature over Beauty ... but you see the goal.
  • Lycidas said:
    Also, that is essentially 850 credits worth of utility for a single anomaly, which honestly isn't a bad deal
    Measuring something by credit cost varies from sort-of-reasonable to incredibly stupid. The brass astrolabe costs 300c and provides zero benefit over a bit of scripting aside from not having to carry a watch. Saying majorsixth is worth 120$? Yeah, nah.
  • That is entirely your opinion, but you're trying to put things in a context they don't belong, and even skew it at this rate. The only way to get that aetheric quickening is the ring, and not everyone has MajorSixth. Trying to say MajorSixth is the full cost is, by your words, incredibly stupid.
  • Lycidas said:
    Trying to say MajorSixth is the full cost is, by your words, incredibly stupid.
    Check your math. 850/3 != 120.
  • Assuming you took it as RL money to credits, for an earned effect. Then in that case, trying to make the case that I'm suggesting it's super worth because of a credit value is humorous. My statement was that the amount of utility you get for a relatively low cost of an anomaly, isn't bad. If you don't need the power, then you don't. The point of these suggestions is so that people don't feel the tier 5 power to be the end all be all reason to take that project.
  • Lycidas said:
    You are indeed correct and I edited the artifact. The reason I have it at 10 is simply to attract people to -want- to take Beauty, as it really doesn't have a strong draw to it as is. Communes could technically ignore Nature's capstone because they have means to handle this, so Beauty might be an attractive pick. I'd still take Nature over Beauty ... but you see the goal.

Why would an org take nature over beauty?

Practically free second trade skill, seems likely to be stackable with the artifact and demipowers. Potentially easier to swap around reading it.

The orgs that can actually reach that point would likely not have skill shortages anymore, with enough lessons this seems likely to support the self-sufficiency issue that's causing issues for people who want trades to be a viable part of the economy.
  • I feel like a pretty important question is... based on just design testing, what's the reality for the smaller orgs expected to be?

With the combination of research and maintenance requirements, along with rift generation rates , it should be a matter of just plugging numbers into a spreadsheet to see a minimum number of anomalies that need to be harvested every rl day per type.

Are the likely complaints about anomalies happening in "non-prime" times being pre-empted so that they have a generation chance that goes up depending on how many players are online compared to the average? 

Is the suggestion that smaller orgs can scrape anomalies together during quiet times actually feasible within the design? And if it is, how trivial does this make research and maintenance for the larger orgs which would presumably be more easily able to harvest larger numbers?
  • Estarra said:

Nature Research Project (past anomaly type)

• Power 1: Teleport to Open Time Rifts, long wait
    • Power 2: X/13 village influence buff, passive, x = floor(CR/2) minimum 1
    • Power 3: Eating herbs heals h/m/e (like sparkleberries), 5 archpower per month
    • Power 4: Faster cure recovery for 3 hours, 10 archpower/month, can turn on and off at will (so don't have to be 3 hour stretch but can break it up)
    @Saran why wouldn't you take Nature? It has probably some of the best utility being offered. That village influence buff is handy, essentially sparkle on everything, regardless what you eat, and faster cure recovery is pretty hype.
  • edited April 2019
    Lycidas said:
    Estarra said:

Nature Research Project (past anomaly type)

• Power 1: Teleport to Open Time Rifts, long wait
    • Power 2: X/13 village influence buff, passive, x = floor(CR/2) minimum 1
    • Power 3: Eating herbs heals h/m/e (like sparkleberries), 5 archpower per month
    • Power 4: Faster cure recovery for 3 hours, 10 archpower/month, can turn on and off at will (so don't have to be 3 hour stretch but can break it up)
    @Saran why wouldn't you take Nature? It has probably some of the best utility being offered. That village influence buff is handy, essentially sparkle on everything, regardless what you eat, and faster cure recovery is pretty hype.
    It's mostly the scope of what your suggestion brings.
    Anyone, who has enough lessons, in the orgs could potentially get access to two full trades with their trans skills. (Which they can then expand on up to 5)
    For a nature user you could do Lorecrafting and Herbs for faster cure recovery and an enhancement to sparkle while also having ready access to both generator and a crafting type skill that heavily uses it.

On the other hand, because of the issues some have with trade availability, increasing the availability of trades by giving your entire org two slots is also a pretty big thing. Like, if you're having trouble keeping your armour stock up its way more useful, if not crucial, to give everyone a second slot so some people can pick up forging and tailoring on top of their other trades.

edit: The latter is a problem because it plugs a hole in the economy by making other complaints worse (self-sufficiency is really bad) 
  • Yep, we're arguing the same point funnily enough, about being able to take Beauty instead of Nature as a commune. As for all the tradeskills, sure you can technically reach five trades, but lets be real, that might be one...possibly two people that do that. This wouldn't make places self-sufficient either, communes still have Lorecraft and cities still have Spellcraft.
  • Lycidas said:
    Yep, we're arguing the same point funnily enough, about being able to take Beauty instead of Nature as a commune. As for all the tradeskills, sure you can technically reach five trades, but lets be real, that might be one...possibly two people that do that. This wouldn't make places self-sufficient either, communes still have Lorecraft and cities still have Spellcraft.

If it's an accessible option more people will pursue it, that's just how things go. Also, those two specs don't really help matters given with the right set up you only need a spellcrafter once, which is assisted by the beauty power to generate charges.
  • Which beauty one? Estarra's or mine? Perhaps we could hear from Estarra and see if they like the ideas we've given thus far and give us an updated/edited post to see what we're going with?
  • edited April 2019
    Lycidas said:
    Which beauty one? Estarra's or mine? Perhaps we could hear from Estarra and see if they like the ideas we've given thus far and give us an updated/edited post to see what we're going with?
    • Power 4: Ability to convert up to 10 archpower per month to enchantment charges (1 archpower=10 charges), must specify enchanted item, cannot go over max charges of that item

Though, it's kinda useless if "enchanted item" doesn't include cubes given regulators.
  • Not sure if that's going to be the power they go with, is what I was saying, and hoping to hear from Estarra on which they want to use.
  • edited April 2019

@Estarra

Beauty Research Project (immaculate anonaly type)

• Power 4: Ability to convert up to 10 archpower per month to enchantment charges (1 archpower=10 charges), must specify enchanted item, cannot go over max charges of that item
    Given cubes this has an ingame value retail of 50-75 gold. You're probably better off with something like uses less comms in some capacity or somesuch or better yet, lasts 10% longer when created or upkept, etc.

• NATURE
    Level 5: Nurturing Nature - Cause the area you are in to regenrate any missing plants to five, apply the effects of Nature Growth and the watering can. Activate for 10 archpower.

I'm not sure about this. Would this really be desirable?

KNOWLEDGE
    Level 5: Keen Knowledge - Gain the effects of aetherial quickening as well as the ability to travel to any permanent milestone within the basin. Activate for 10 archpower, duration lasts until logout.

Combines ring of aetheric quickening and compass of true direction to offer utility to those that seek it, without outright altering how PK functions.

I think this could be cool.
    DEATH
    Level 5: Defy Death -Upon the next time you would be slain, you are instead placed within stasis for five seconds. You cannot take any action, nor can you be effected by aggressive actions. During this time you can choose to teleport to the Portal of Fate or be revived at 50% vitals and no defenses. Activate for 10 archpower, defense until death, cooldown of a game month when the effect triggers.

Grants the user an arguably better version of vitae so that they can choose to use that time to stay or get out of dodge. Cooldown is meant to be long so that this doesn't just become a way to grief raiding. The half vitals enforces the choice of standing your ground with the possibility of it being quickly used against you.

I'm not crazy about this. I think a Death Project should be more about (causing) death rather than defying death--these anomalies are from the Soulless Timeline after all! Would seem more appropriate from a Life Project. Maybe we should nix Beauty and go with Life? Maybe all org members in the local area start sucking the life out of everyone else in a vampiric way (their health decays, your health increases past max)? Maybe a bashing thing with mobs (your health increases and goes past max if you kill a mob in the area)? I dunno....
    BEAUTY
    Level 5: Beauteous Bounty - Gain the effects of Endowment of the Arts, selecting a trade you have access to. This trade is not apart of skillflexing and requires this power to change or remove the tradeskill. Activate for 10 archpower, lasts until changed or project no longer has access.

Because it is the effects rather than the actual item itself, it -should- stack, even if we have to make a separate flag for it. This means someone can technically have base, Demigod power, Endowment, Beauteous Working, and now this if they are truly motivated by crafting. All in all, this project will allow the smaller population to cover more ground.

I'm not sure how this would work. It seems OP to activate for 10 archpower and then basically have it last indefinitely while every other project requires at archpower use on a more regular basis. So maybe in order to use the marked tradeskill, you have to activate 10 archpower which lasts for one game month? On the fence with this.
  • I don't really like the idea of a strong pvp buff that you can just pop whenever.  We don't really need stronger defensives on the planes either.
  • Estarra said:

NATURE

I'm not sure about this. Would this really be desirable?

KNOWLEDGE

I think this could be cool.
    DEATH

I'm not crazy about this. I think a Death Project should be more about (causing) death rather than defying death--these anomalies are from the Soulless Timeline after all! Would seem more appropriate from a Life Project. Maybe we should nix Beauty and go with Life? Maybe all org members in the local area start sucking the life out of everyone else in a vampiric way (their health decays, your health increases past max)? Maybe a bashing thing with mobs (your health increases and goes past max if you kill a mob in the area)? I dunno....
    BEAUTY
    Level 5: Beauteous Bounty - Gain the effects of Endowment of the Arts, selecting a trade you have access to. This trade is not apart of skillflexing and requires this power to change or remove the tradeskill. Activate for 10 archpower, lasts until changed or project no longer has access.

I'm not sure how this would work. It seems OP to activate for 10 archpower and then basically have it last indefinitely while every other project requires at archpower use on a more regular basis. So maybe in order to use the marked tradeskill, you have to activate 10 archpower which lasts for one game month? On the fence with this.
    Nature - It helps those not of the communes to be able to help plants, as well as strip harvesting then immediately fixing the entire area as if nothing went wrong. Not sure how desirable it is for everyone else, since I can't speak for them, but I know I'd find it quite useful.

Knowledge - Glad we agree

Death - I thought about a few other things this could be along the lines of what Death is thematically in the game. It is either a damage buff, balance buff, retribution aura, or essentially a teleportation map. The reason I pursued this idea is that it combines two other aspects of Death, the ascension  Disc of Death (teleport slain players to the Portal of Fate) and of course...dying but reviving with vitae. Vitae is kind of an awful buff on its own, immediately reviving while things are still aggro'd on you or another player just waiting for you to pop back up. All this buff would truly be doing is giving more vitals than what vitae does if they stay, or an eject button that lets you keep your defenses, just teleports you away.

Beauty - The cost and whatnot can be changed, as can the upkeep. The goal was to make it an attractive option, so that Nature/Knowledge/Death weren't going to be the global selections regardless. So let me rewrite it in this post and edit my suggestion post to reflect this, here we go!

Beauteous Bounty - Gain the effects of Endowment of the Arts, selecting a trade skill you have access to. This trade is not apart of skillflexing and requires this power to change or enable the tradeskill. Activate for 10 archpower for a duration of 24 hours and requires 10 archpower afterwards to upkeep before this power goes dormant. Changing the tradeskill costs 5 archpower and does not extend the duration of the activation.
  • What do other's think of Lycidas's ideas? If there are issues, how would you tweak them or what would an alternate idea be?
  • Yes, I like Lycidas' ideas.
  • I'll say it again, #HireMeForDesign. Glad to see some agreement to the ideas, and hopefully the implementation goes smoothly.
  • Nature's current power patches a hole that would be best patched elsewhere if it's necessary. There's also something appropriate about communes having the ability to reverse strip harvesting while cities can't.
    Further, if the nature capstone isn't really relevant to communes this would lessen the actual choice they have about which ones to pick, potentially to the point that extra trades would outweigh the rest of the tree.

Ultimately, the current lack of knowledge about the expected reality hampers any meaningful contributions that players can have because all suggestions aren't necessarily in context. The power levels of capstones that everyone can reasonably maintain are different to what you be ideal for something only one org might be able to access if they're really trying.
This discussion has been closed.