Unpopular Opinion: Lusternia Edition

124»

Comments

• Aydeksa said:
    I had to share this, because when I see people disagree on this thread it's all I can think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkE83Zu8z58

If you disagree on this thread then does that mean you actually believe the statement is a popular opinion? 
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Kethaera said:
    Glomdoring is an actual cult, and people who adhere to it stop accepting reality.
    I really, sincerely hope this is referring to the roleplay and lore, rather than the players themselves.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• The problem is not Glomdoring. The real problem is the way Magnagora gutted Hallifax and Serenwilde, stripping two vibrant communities of their most regular players and fighters, leaving them a barren wasteland for 20 years from which they have never recovered
  • These are unpopular opinions, not facts!
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    The problem is Glomdoring. The real problem is the way Glomdoring gutted New Celest and Hallifax (and then Magnagora after the alliance switch), stripping two (three) vibrant communities of their most regular players and fighters, leaving them a barren wasteland for 20 years from which they have never recovered

• These are unpopular opinions, Mali, not facts!
  • We all need our Thetans cleansed. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Kistan said:
    The problem is not Glomdoring. The real problem is the way Magnagora gutted Hallifax and Serenwilde, stripping two vibrant communities of their most regular players and fighters, leaving them a barren wasteland for 20 years from which they have never recovered
    Can vouch for this. Magnagora has given at least seven of my alts credits for transferring to Mag from Hallifax and Serenwilde. This was intentionally done to poach active people from these two organisations, leaving Magnagora with little or no allies with which to raid Glomdoring.

On the other hand, Crek leaving Glomdoring, joining Mag, eventually taking over the Geomancers and becoming GM, then returning to Glomdoring and having Glomdoring immediately give him credits to retrans his guild skills and shoehorning him into taking the Blacktalon back over is totally on the up-and-up.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    edited April 2019
    Rancoura said:
    Kethaera said:
    Glomdoring is an actual cult, and people who adhere to it stop accepting reality.
    I really, sincerely hope this is referring to the roleplay and lore, rather than the players themselves.
    There are warning signs that typically show up in cults. Among these you'll find things like a slavish devotion to the group that denies critical thinking or seeing things from other points of view; an "us vs them" mentality; whenever the group is criticised, people in the group believe they are being persecuted; uncharacteristically stilted or programmed replies or sayings (Glory be to Glomdoring, nothing matters but Glomdoring); anything the group does can be justified, no matter how harmful.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • There are warning signs that typically show up in cults. Among these you'll find things like a slavish devotion to the group that denies critical thinking or seeing things from other points of view; an "us vs them" mentality; whenever the group is criticised, people in the group believe they are being persecuted; uncharacteristically stilted or programmed replies or sayings (Glomdoring is the problem, Glomdoring controls the admins and there is a grand conspiracy because Estarra and Deichtine are actually the same person); anything the group does can be justified, no matter how harmful.

Or maybe we could just understand that we're all people playing a game. People playing the same game. People in a very small, very niche community. Instead of assuming what everyones' motivations.
  • Synl, why? You took something pointing at IC and decided to make it about all this, even making such a silly example. Actually, before I criticize, is there actually someone who made that statement, on the forums, stating this grand conspiracy? If yes, then I'll retract. Otherwise, it's silly and clearly not what was being referred to. What Shaddus said about programmed replies or sayings, with the examples given, are actually correct. If you, as a player, are feeling attacked or the need to defend yourself about something being discussed in the realm of IC, that is a bigger issue than his statement.
  • Nope, my bad. Didn't realize it was just RP.
    edited April 2019
    I don't know if Shaddus was actually referring to the IC aspects of Glom or the perceived OOC aspects. @Shaddus pls elaborate.

Edit: Are people saying NMBG on the forums? :/

Before an earthly flight

• No...no one is sitting here on the forums identifying as Glomdoring or doing IC phrases and such.
    edited April 2019
    No, people aren't saying NMBG oocly. But people who mainly play in Glomdoring do tend to band together oocly when criticism of Glomdoring occurs in any sort of medium. Said players of Glomdoringites, more than any other org, tend to get incensed when you speak out against Glomdoring, going out of their way to divert the conversation or use logical fallacies to route the conversation away from Glomdoring and towards other orgs. They urge their players/members to be insular, trusting only in themselves and to ignore outside criticism. Nothing is their fault, everyone is simply jealous or wrong, or toxic.
  • Kethaera said:
    When people in favor of the current system demand evidence that it's broken, they are only attempting to stall discussion of the issue.

When people not in favor of the current system ask for evidence that it is broken, they simply may not think they have spend more effort on the question then you put in, only to have the person turn around and shift the goal posts or say that wasn't what they meant.

The burden is on the person making the claim.
  • A pun isn't funny when you have to look it up to work out what it means. Today I learned rulers in some countries are a foot long.

Measurement discussions are afoot in Lusernia!

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Shaddus said:
    That being said, this is supposed to be a thread of unpopular opinions. Let's get back on track with that!

My unpopular opinion: If you're in an org, and you're wearing a brooch/whatever of your polar-opposing org, you should probably be punished or at least spoken to. I shouldn't see people dressed as earth elementals wandering the streets of Celest, or people standing at the Moonhart dressed up as Daughters of Night.
    Magnagora's decorum used to, at least, have this included (haven't looked in a while) and I loved it. Still do. It's become another example of mechanics > rp

• Maligorn said:
    The problem is Glomdoring. The real problem is the way Glomdoring gutted New Celest and Hallifax (and then Magnagora after the alliance switch), stripping two (three) vibrant communities of their most regular players and fighters, leaving them a barren wasteland for 20 years from which they have never recovered

When did Glomodring gut Celest? Are you referring to the exodus of players around the time Ladyn became really popular?

• Off the top of my head, hai'Gloh Zemordia. And then a few more times after that over the years.
    WHY WE FIGHT
    Accountability is necessary.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Shaddus said:
    No, people aren't saying NMBG oocly. But people who mainly play in Glomdoring do tend to band together oocly when criticism of Glomdoring occurs in any sort of medium. Said players of Glomdoringites, more than any other org, tend to get incensed when you speak out against Glomdoring, going out of their way to divert the conversation or use logical fallacies to route the conversation away from Glomdoring and towards other orgs. They urge their players/members to be insular, trusting only in themselves and to ignore outside criticism. Nothing is their fault, everyone is simply jealous or wrong, or toxic.
    My opinion: When people constantly attack an organization and all its members, it is not surprising if the people in that organization draw together.  If you continue to lambast them, it is similarly not surprising if they choose to disengage from interacting with you.  Most of us have opted not to bother with the forums for a while now because of this (see the reaction Synl got in the Snowball thread), and somehow you're still going on, now using the outcome that people have been stridently pushing for to justify continuation / escalation of the same.
  • Xenthos said:
    Shaddus said:
    My opinion: When people constantly attack an organization and all its members, it is not surprising if the people in that organization draw together.  If you continue to lambast them, it is similarly not surprising if they choose to disengage from interacting with you.  Most of us have opted not to bother with the forums for a while now because of this (see the reaction Synl got in the Snowball thread), and somehow you're still going on, now using the outcome that people have been stridently pushing for to justify continuation / escalation of the same.
    Oh no, I'm not buying that. Point me one person from Hallifax, Magnagora, Serenwilde or pre-alliance shift Celest that had participated competitively in any conflict event to this day and found it on fair terms and your (Both in person and as the organization) attitude is reasonable. It's unbelievable how you claim your stance is reactionary to attacks, while people criticizing you and your skillsets have either stopped participating or they have gone more and more aggressive with it. Calls for a little self-introspection, doesn't it? With all due respect to players like Rancoura. (I don't think people mean "you" when they call "Glomdoring" in general, I'd wager they're mostly calling out envoys, forum knights etc.) False memory (in the sense of finding the most convenient answer to all the problems being presented) has been practiced on an OOC level. NMBG (in the context of don't touch strong skillsets, let's ensure finding whatever argument there's to make it not happen.) has been practiced on an OOC level. Or do you want examples and links for that too?
     "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
    Shaddus said:
    ...When insulting statements such as:
    Kethaera said:
    and "Glomdoring is the problem" etc. are being made, is it really a wonder why Glomdoring players (even those who haven't participated in the discussions from which these opinions have been formed, imagine that) would take offense and react accordingly? Wouldn't the same happen with any group, if that group is prosecuted as a whole due to the actions of a few? I could provide real-world religious/racial  examples of this happening, but in the interest of leaving forum policies intact I won't; hopefully my point will get across all the same.

As for the urging of players to be insular and ignore outside criticism, I... really don't know where that perception is coming from, unless I've missed something in the other threads or it is taking place in the OOC clan I am not part of. I haven't felt urged to hate on criticizers or to think that Glomdoring is perfect as it is mechanically or otherwise and does not need to be changed.

Before an earthly flight

• Think we've gone on far enough here.
This discussion has been closed.