Tweets VIII: Knocks Me Off My Tweet

Comments

• Hmm that doesn't really make it that much better.. "Report" implies "Report for abuse" 
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited April 2019
    Coraline said:
    Hmm that doesn't really make it that much better.. "Report" implies "Report for abuse" 
    You click it, and then you write a report reason, and then your reason gets written to an admin-only thread for moderators to decide whether what you wrote is valid.  I imagine they wouldn't like it if you're randomly flagging things with the reason "Because!" or whatever.  It's more curated than "abuse flag because I felt like it".

• Ah okay. That makes it better, actually. (I still think a disagree button is nice, but it's not my hill to die on)
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Keth isn't allowed to die! Someone get a Disagree button stat!
  • Maybe I should be paying more attention to the reports, 'cause the report on benign prophesy got one of the key details that they were discussing wrong- it lasts for 30 minutes, not a full hour.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • edited April 2019
    Tridemon said:
    Maybe I should be paying more attention to the reports, 'cause the report on benign prophesy got one of the key details that they were discussing wrong- it lasts for 30 minutes, not a full hour.
    They decided that because it effects all allies in the room (and is the only skill apparently that does that), that it shouldn't last until death/logout. While I disagree with this, that it is almost trivial to raise - there shouldn't be a reason why it isn't death/logout, that is the reason behind denying the increased length.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Instead of disagree, you have to quote what you're disagreeing with and post a response in meme format saying that you disagree.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Everiine said:
    Shaddus said:
    Instead of disagree, you have to quote what you're disagreeing with and post a response in meme format saying that you disagree.

• Whoever added the hearts and the LOLs had me surprised and really laughing. I did not mind the agree and disagree buttons. They were good to evaluate if most ideas were well-received.

I really like that heart button!
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I don't like these buttons. I mean I do, not in place of the others. They don't express my sentiments. I am not a fan!

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    It's already been agreed that LOL = "disagree", Heart means "Well, bless your heart", and Like = "I guess so."
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • But everyone knows that LOL stands for "Lots of Love"!
    Shaddus said:
    It's already been agreed that LOL = "disagree", Heart means "Well, bless your heart", and Like = "I guess so."
    Well, agreed to by some people at least.  I've actually been chuckling at the people trying to troll with the LOL.  It just doesn't... pack the same meaning, which is fine to my mind.
  • Xenthos said:
    Well, agreed to by some people at least.  I've actually been chuckling at the people trying to troll with the LOL.  It just doesn't... pack the same meaning, which is fine to my mind.
    Disagree.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Xenthos said:
    Shaddus said:
    Well, as long as you feel accommodated Xenthos, this was all worth it.

Disagree. (See how this is going to bloat threads?)

I will ditto Irillia's post about the Heart button for sympathy...but in this case, I would've literally used the agree button and not bothered posting.

I don't know, Maligorn.  I actually laughed at Kalnid's post because it is such a perfect example of how useless the disagree flag was.  What's he disagreeing with?  Does he think nobody agreed to use the flags that way?  Maybe he thinks I have not chuckled at the LOLers, or he thinks that LOL and Disagree bear the exact same meaning.  Or maybe he is simply being disagreeable.  Seeing it done in post form highlights the absurdity of it to the point of hilarity to me.
    I have no objections to the agree button coming back though.  I do think it is a very straightforward thing.  The issue has been more on the negative flagging end of things, though; and, as I pointed out, the people who wrote these forums explicitly stated that they suggest not using those because of their potential for abuse.  We saw not only potential, but actual abuse, so... I feel that we are in a better state now.  Bring back Agree and I think we are pretty good.  I am coming around on the LOL button, I kind of like it.  I will use it when someone says something I find amusing, it is a bit more specific than just a like.
  • edited April 2019
    Xenthos said:
    I don't know, Maligorn.  I actually laughed at Kalnid's post because it is such a perfect example of how useless the disagree flag was.  What's he disagreeing with?  Does he think nobody agreed to use the flags that way?  Maybe he thinks I have not chuckled at the LOLers, or he thinks that LOL and Disagree bear the exact same meaning.  Or maybe he is simply being disagreeable.  Seeing it done in post form highlights the absurdity of it to the point of hilarity to me.
    I have no objections to the agree button coming back though.  I do think it is a very straightforward thing.  The issue has been more on the negative flagging end of things, though; and, as I pointed out, the people who wrote these forums explicitly stated that they suggest not using those because of their potential for abuse.  We saw not only potential, but actual abuse, so... I feel that we are in a better state now.  Bring back Agree and I think we are pretty good.  I am coming around on the LOL button, I kind of like it.  I will use it when someone says something I find amusing, it is a bit more specific than just a like.
    How is agree any different that disagree? Someone hitting 'agree' might not agree with all of the most (but agree with most of it to click agree)
    If anything, LOL is a lot worse due to it being open meaning, someone could easily be along the lines 'i'm laughing at you for thinking that is anyway a good idea'
  • Ayisdra said:
    Xenthos said:
    How is agree any different that disagree? Someone hitting 'agree' might not agree with all of the most (but agree with most of it to click agree)
    If anything, LOL is a lot worse due to it being open meaning, someone could easily be along the lines 'i'm laughing at you for thinking that is anyway a good idea'
    It's different because some people don't really want discussion, they want agreement. Yes, agree does exactly the same thing as disagree, in terms of furthering conversation, but it has the benefit of boosting the ego to the one whose post gets clicked with it. 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • As someone from the "facebook generation", I'm going to say that the agree/disgree buttons were quick and simple and fit the millenial trend. Like with so many things - this isn't on us. Check with the boomers!
    WHY WE FIGHT
    Accountability is necessary.
    Ayisdra said:
    Xenthos said:
    Agree is different inasmuch as we already / still have "Like," and it's a slightly different meaning than the Like button.  It's almost as if at this point you're arguing to just have all buttons removed in general, which I guess is fine?  I don't think it's necessary, but it would be better than having the other flags back.  Another data point in favour of the change is that this conversation has actually been a conversation, not just flag wars like any other time the things have been brought up in the past.
    The reason that I'm coming around on the LOL is due to its open meaning.  It doesn't actually add anything to the conversation, as you say, but it's also not purely an attempt at crowdsourced moderation either.  I really wouldn't be heartbroken if it was to go away, but it's also not something that can be used in the manner of this:
    Maligorn said:
    Also, if you really think the Disagree button was "useless", I'm sorry that getting a quick straw poll on how people feel about a certain post is so debilitating. Must've been a real travesty to see all those disagree flags on posts by Glomdorians and all the agree posts on literally anyone else. : ^)
    When your community has people dishonestly using the self-moderation tools to advance a partisan narrative, it's time for a change.  If your argument is seriously "Let's remove all flags," then we can go there.  If your argument is "Some flags weren't being abused like others, so we should bring back the ones that were being abused," I'm not sure there's a lot more to say on that front.  We're probably never going to agree on that.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Your unfair/misleading assumption that people were "dishonestly" using flags is pretty gross, Xenthos. I don't have anything witty to say.

Maligorn said:
    Your unfair/misleading assumption that people were "dishonestly" using flags is pretty gross, Xenthos. I don't have anything witty to say.
    You already stated outright that people were doing so.
  • What abuse even was there going on? I had people 'Disagree' with me plenty, probably because they didn't agree with my opinion. I've 'Disagree'd on other people too for the same reason. Maybe six months is a small sample size, but I haven't noticed on any thread someone being unjustly 'Disagree'd with. It might seem like people are clumping up just to get someone, but there really is no proof of that, since, the buttons are just a way to show your opinion on that post, except the flag button which still exists.
    Lycidas said:
    What abuse even was there going on? I had people 'Disagree' with me plenty, probably because they didn't agree with my opinion. I've 'Disagree'd on other people too for the same reason. Maybe six months is a small sample size, but I haven't noticed on any thread someone being unjustly 'Disagree'd with. It might seem like people are clumping up just to get someone, but there really is no proof of that, since, the buttons are just a way to show your opinion on that post, except the flag button which still exists.
    Maligorn said:
    Also, if you really think the Disagree button was "useless", I'm sorry that getting a quick straw poll on how people feel about a certain post is so debilitating. Must've been a real travesty to see all those disagree flags on posts by Glomdorians and all the agree posts on literally anyone else. : ^)
    As to your "no proof of that line," it's super hard to police the flags.  There is no reasoning given, you can just do it for whatever reason you'd like.  The administration has come in from time to time and tried to give warnings on over-use of the flags, but... it's hard, since you can't read anyone's mind.  There were certain people who basically spent their time doing what Maligorn writes about (some of it got switched to LOLing as has been mentioned, so if you really want to investigate culprits you can probably look at that).  I'm not going to say that the flagging was one-sided, because it was not by any means.  That doesn't make its existence any better, though.
    One of the more egregious flagging things recently was a post where Kethaera flung an attack at Minkahmet.  Minkahmet copy/pasted the attack back.  Both were equally wrong, yet somehow Minkahmet's got abuse-bombed and the other was untouched by anyone except me (I marked both, because both were breaches of the rules).  Now, reporting isn't based on whether or not you want to "mark your friends."  The new Flag button sends a report to the administration that they can review & decide on, which is also a significant improvement.
  • I'd pay real money to know how Maligorn wasn't forumbanned at least 24 months ago.