Lusternian Divine AMA

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Now that everyone is done clutching their pearls at my question, let me rephrase.

What's the best way to open a line of communication oocly with a divine that hasn't responded to prayers? Is it considered rude to jump right to emails and ask them, "Hey, what's up? Are you super busy, is there something we've done or haven't done?"
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • (Sorry about the vague bug reports)
    beep
  • Czixi said: So I would always advise erring on the side of caution and not using OOC communication unless you are absolutely, totally certain that the person doesn't mind.
    How do you know if they're okay with it, without asking them OOCly in the first place? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
  • Xenthos said:
    Isune said:
    Ianir said:

...and flogging yourself with a Cat5-o-nine-tails.
    *counts* Cat-o-seventy-two-tails... very tiny and thin, lots of lashing, much hurting.  B)

Works on the hamsters in the servers anyway...

o:) *flee*
    I am pretty sure the 5 in Cat5 was intentional, is a shame to lose it.  What else are you going to do with Cat5 these days?
    https://i.imgur.com/RZHCtoZ.jpg

That is all.

Kerith said:
    How do you know if they're okay with it, without asking them OOCly in the first place? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
    That's a fair question, and a difficult one to answer. My advice is to err on the side of caution. Gods do accept OOC communication for OOC duties - a lot of patron stuff requires it. Generally, unless you're a CL or GL, they'll approach you.

The major exceptions to this are myself and Estarra, who often require dealing with OOC responsibilities, and you are free to message us if you have an OOC concern (though generally I recommend using ISSUE ME instead, but for smaller questions, I do try to keep an open ear). Others up here generally want to initiate it first, and as Czixi said, even if they read it, very often won't respond unless they have to. Everybody is different though.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • edited September 2017
    It's a perfectly valid question - but the answer is that you don't know, unless we've made a statement about it on the forums, and that's exactly why I advise against doing it generally.
  • re: prayers from outside the org, always happy to see them, always read them but if they require any response on my part, the requests, unfortunately, go to the bottom of my to-do interactions list because of priorities: order, city, and only then outsiders.  
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Thanks for the answers :)

Curious about another thing, if you could change one thing about your god or the org they're associated with, what would that  be and why? (talking things like ideology, history, lore )
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Shamelessly bumping this thread incase any of you have questions you'd like to ask us - especially as there are new faces to answer them!
    New Gods (maybe those who stepped up in the last year or so): is being a god what you expected? Which older-tenured god helped you the most?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    How much work is it to implement a new design template? I've gotten the impression that it's much more than it is worth, but is it difficult or just a bunch of busywork? Or a coding thing that most admin can't actually do?
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Oh! Speaking of Charites! This is less an approval question I guess, and more a Charites' perception of the players' submission habits, but how often do you guys need to retroactively reject designs that mortal reviewers let through by mistake? And how often do you pull something that needs direct admin approval (other than for things tied directly to a god role)?
  • Sadly we can't give you precise statistics on how many things get held for divine approval, as we don't have them - just our own general idea of what the queue is like. We would say it's probably both more designs and fewer designs than you'd think. There are a lot of reasons designs can be held for divine review, from the use of divine symbols to people trying to make an Apple watch.

As for retroactive rejections, this does happen, but it's rare. Generally it happens for one of two reasons: someone has reported to us that a design shouldn't have been approved (often designers self-report these), or we have made a ruling which renders some existing designs against the rules.

Often when an error is reported to us we're able to simply fix it - when it's something like a spelling error, we'll just change it without needing to inform the designer. Sometimes it's a little more complex, and we'll often try to involve the designer then if we can. For example if an item is pluralising incorrectly this can mean rewriting the entire appearance, which we prefer people to be able to do themselves. However we will fix things ourselves if that's not possible.

When it's a ruling we've made, it can be much more complicated or much simpler. We will make a judgement as to whether we want the change to be retroactive or not. This will entirely depend on the ruling. Where possible, we'll let existing designs remain as they are - that would be the simpler option! But sometimes we have to enforce the ruling on everything, and at that point we will request modifications of, personally modify, or even simply delist designs in extreme situations.
    Czixi said:
    Shamelessly bumping this thread incase any of you have questions you'd like to ask us - especially as there are new faces to answer them!
    This!!

Also, newish divine, feel free to scroll through the thread and pick questions to answer!
  • Some responses to old questions:

Shaddus said:
    @AllGods: Counterpart to Karlach's question, what's your character's theme song and why?
    I have been listening to Enya's "The Humming" on repeat while descing quite a few of Carakhan's things. The Lyric video has lovely visuals too.

Kalaneya said:

@AllGods What are your favourite stories or pieces of lore? And how much input do you guys have in creating the lore, both on a macro level with the History of the Elder Wars etc and on a smaller scale, such as for each newly released area? 
    There's so many, but I especially like the stories and lore that make you think about the scope of Lusternia, and the sheer amount of heart wrenching loss experienced over the previous millennia. A lot of the bardic pockets are great at this.

Shedrin said:

What's your favorite quest?
    Too many. But I was recently very charmed by Ilmdria's Rest. It's delightfully different.
    Art by the multitalented Aonia
  • Not sure if posed yet but:

If you had to pick another org to be a Divine for, which org would you pick and which would you want to avoid? Last one can be ignored for comfort.
  • Makai said:
    Not sure if posed yet but:

If you had to pick another org to be a Divine for, which org would you pick and which would you want to avoid? Last one can be ignored for comfort.
    To pick? Either Serenwilde or Glomdoring. Communes and their classes are actually what initially caught my interest, and got me to play Lusternia forever ago! Both have their appeal. I like the Last True Forest angle of Serenwilde, and the Wyrd and everything built up around it in Glomdoring is awesome as well.

To avoid? Probably Magnagora. I'm not as familiar with its history, and I'm not sure if I could pull off a Traitor role nearly as well as any of the past or present Mag divine.
  • Ok @Divine!

What is your favorite mythical creature, and how would you put your own Lusternian spin on it?
  • @Drocilla That is a pretty cool idea.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Murderous mermaids, we getting Deathklok in here!
    If you had to classify your character's D&D Alignment, what would it be and why?