If your characters org was deleted. What would you do?

*On the assumption that anyone who plays in an org that gets deleted can do a free full transfer of their character to a new character with exactly the same curios, artifacts, toys, etc

Comments

• It's no secret I've been wanting the third thing as an option for a while now, so. Yea. Totally reroll with an entirely new character concept.
  • Depending on how retirement would be handled. Options one or three.
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • My character's been through a lot already and given his pragmatic ways, he'd be inclined to keep moving forward -- whatever that meant.

• edited April 2019
    no option for moving your current character with a free full transfer? @Deichtine
  • Depending on circumstance, I might actually prefer gunning the route of rogue shopkeeper, but if I got bored with that then I could just as well skip into the next best fit.
  • If they deleted Mag despite how much we have fought to keep things going....yeah. But if the game was more balanced with combat in general, I'd totally just move, fits with the D'Cente family lore as merc's for hire anyway.
  • Stuck between 2 and 3, voted on 2 because that's what I'd most likely try first. I also don't really like retiring characters and I'm not particularly convinced that I wouldn't quit if 2 failed or I didn't like the new org choice(s) I had.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I love Lavinya oh so much. But if I was given the opportunity to start fresh and have all the shiny things, with the world exploding and given her family/friends are largely gone anyway - yeah I'd be down to restart with no one knowing who I am.

• edited April 2019
    If I didn't have the option of keeping my current character with just, a lesson refund and maybe a free classflex, I'd probably just stop playing entirely tbh
  • I don't think anybody would be -forced- to reroll. But it would be an option, ideally.
  • I might go for option 2 as well. But none of the original 3 orgs fit this character, and, tbh, this is kind of a dumb character, so maybe a reroll is good
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Made an idea post on what this fresh start would be. Please help me refine it so that it is agreeable to all parties and nobody feels ripped.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    With the greatest parts of Lusternia that I love ripped away -- both an organization and my character whom is so rooted that I cannot conceive her changing so drastically -- I would be hard-pressed to find a reason to continue devoting my time to it (especially given that all the time I've spent treating my role in the game as a job would potentially be thrown out the window). Transitioning guilds was difficult enough, and at this point in my life I'm not certain I'd be willing at all to put myself through an even worse ordeal for the sake of a game.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• I voted what I voted mostly because of RL reasons. If I did have time to stick around more, I would have to go with 2. I planned Trahey's story to be longer, and retirement will not fit in anywhere. My character will certainly adapt; I'm not sure if I as a player will. Hallifax pushed all the right buttons for me and I had been plotting fun things that really won't be of any use if the org dies.
    Poke the Hand of Doom for commissions.
  • I can't really vote on this at this stage as it depends too much on which orgs stay and what happens both IC and OOC.
    I wouldn't be looking to quit, I just don't know whether moving my current character would make sense.
  • Yeah, there's a massive variable here.

If the suggestion of creating new orgs from the mergers of old orgs was used then it'd be moving to one of the new orgs.
    If Serenwilde was just deleted and I had to pick from any combination of the remaining three then I probably just wouldn't bother.
  • I'm not going to vote, since I don't actually play anyway. Most of my friends have retired, my return already seems unlikely. But if my org (and I guess class??) were gone and I'd have to 'start over' in either sense, it would remove what little remaining incentive I might have to return. In some ways I think class is a bigger deal to me. I like Tessenchi for all its challenges, and I put a lot of work into it from a personal and envoy standpoint, and to know that was all consigned to the void would make me feel sad. I can only imagine how others would feel, whose time and investments dwarf my own.

That said, I did return once and start over, since I was a launch-day player and played quite a lot in the opening 6-12 months of the game before leaving. So, you know, never say never?
  • Kistan was always a bit of a wanderer and has a fair few friends in most cities. And has considered moving to all at some point in his life. Probably not a forest though. Could not live outdoors, that would be uncivilised.

It's just somewhere to lay his hat really - a stage and a library and he is happy.
  • well, Serenwilde has houses, they're just ewok tree houses
  • I... just got started here a couple IRL months ago. Maybe it's even a little silly to be so attached after such a short period of time. But I finally have my feet on the ground, and the idea of the community I so dearly love suddenly going away is like a D&D party disbanding. The thought makes me queasy. 

It's been 10+ years since I've played any IRE MUDs, and my previous experiences had really scared me off of the idea of ever playing again another MUD again. But my partner found Lusternia after a lot of research, and said "hey, check out this cool place", and I did, and I'm glad I did. Between the fascinating history and the wonderful people that opened their arms and took us both in, I was hooked and lost a lot of that prior MUD-anxiety I had. You guys are all so great! I feel like if our commune went 'dormant', a lot of the aforementioned wonderful people - some of whom have played for upwards of a decade - would stop playing. And... I wouldn't want to play without them.
    ‘It’s important to be kind. You can’t know all the times that you’ve hurt people in tiny, significant ways.
    It’s easy to be cruel without meaning to be. There’s nothing you can do about that. But you can choose to be kind. Be kind.’

• Arix said:
    no option for moving your current character with a free full transfer? @Deichtine

I'm not sure what you mean?

Wouldn't that just be moving your character via in game methods, character is the same, artis and stuff you have are the same?

• I would try and integrate my character. I've only just rolled this one, after deleting my last. I would advise trying out something new, for a little while, or even qq'ing for a bit, before deleting completely.
  • Gabe said:
    I would try and integrate my character. I've only just rolled this one, after deleting my last. I would advise trying out something new, for a little while, or even qq'ing for a bit, before deleting completely.
    I agree with this statement.  Sometimes, a change can be more enjoyable to role-play than not, and I realize it has a lot to do with character comforts.  We, whether we realize it or not, connect with the story we're writing so it tends to be troublesome when things happen (by mechanics, or otherwise) that sets things awry for that character.  From experience, both with this character and various characters I've role-played on other IRE games and even IRC/D&D in the past; there's always the potential of story and interaction you've not considered before -- and maybe, just maybe, it's some of the best RP you've ever had.

Just saying.  You never know.
  • Ea said:
    Gabe said:
    I would try and integrate my character. I've only just rolled this one, after deleting my last. I would advise trying out something new, for a little while, or even qq'ing for a bit, before deleting completely.
    I agree with this statement.  Sometimes, a change can be more enjoyable to role-play than not, and I realize it has a lot to do with character comforts.  We, whether we realize it or not, connect with the story we're writing so it tends to be troublesome when things happen (by mechanics, or otherwise) that sets things awry for that character.  From experience, both with this character and various characters I've role-played on other IRE games and even IRC/D&D in the past; there's always the potential of story and interaction you've not considered before -- and maybe, just maybe, it's some of the best RP you've ever had.

Just saying.  You never know.
    I can appreciate that, I have alts and can enjoy other organisations on them. But as Ena? There is no way in hell I'd play outside of Glomdoring without my main Glom people being with me. I'd stand to be harassed and bullied like I was previously. And now that I have people on my side who will stand up for me and make sure people are held accountable I can't imagine that would be fun for any of us. It would be like forcing LGBTQI people to reside inside a religious cult. We have been vilified for months on end and admin have done nothing  to assist. They have even encouraged it at points. How could taking a strong decent compassionate community and breaking them up and forcing them to suffer those same people without the protection of their community be good for this game? 

I do know what is out there. I have been in every other org except Hallifax long term. And there is no way in hell any of my friends, my partner, nor I would be welcomed nor treated well there. I certainly wasn't beforehand.

Look at your own experience. I'm not going to say it is good or bad because I don't speak for you. But leave combat aside. Look at all the discussions you have endured.  The RP that changed for you. Because I know what this game has become for you. And I definitely do not want the game to become that for myself or anyone else. And deleting Glom will do exactly that for not just myself and Vey, but our younger members also. We have people who have come to alt in Glom and left their mains to stay in Glom. Maybe the admin should be looking at those reasons. Because player retention is easily the most noticeable from anecdotal evidence as the biggest problem orgs have currently.  But numbers would be great to see also. 
  • edited April 2019
    Kethaera said:
    It would be like forcing LGBTQI people to reside inside a religious cult.

No, just no. Much as I would like to not comment: This is offensive to LGBTQI people. Being inside a religious cult - presumably one that was opposed to them - would be risking their lives and their freedom. 

You are playing a game. They are not remotely comparable.

This would be risking the life of the character. It is entirely comparable. You are asking players to take their characters and place them in harms way. You can not deny that the way people speak about/to those of Glomdoring is harmful. One glance at forums or discord alone is enough to determine that. So yes. Comparable. Also, speaking on behalf of a minority that something is offensive is offensive. I've been gay my whole life and out since I was 14 years old. I know a little nit about what homophobia feels like. And dealing with the people in these orgs as someone from Glomdoring feels a whole hell of a lot like it. 

Edit: Evidence is as stands. Up until people start taking issue with Glomdoring they are friendly towards me. I haven't changed. I am the same person I was a year ago, 3 years ago, hell even ten years ago. But what has changed is the way you feel about Glomdoring. So the way you treat me is differently. That THAT right there is evidence as to why Glomdoring will be treated poorly by this growing group of people who are acclimatized to this notion that Glomdoring is bad by listening to people spout this nonsense day in day out. It is very similar to a lot of other historical events where minorities were victimised by the people of nations. When you take a step back and look at it. 
  • @Enadonella Not all minorities are positive. Nothing against LGBTQI people, and it takes guts to talk about that stuff on the forums. You will never get any trouble from me over that. It is a part of who you are.
    People will judge you based on the people you *choose* to associate with. This is not the same as the above, as it is a choice you have actively made.

It is not homophobia,  or racism, or anything of the sort. It is judging a person based on a choice they have made, nothing more and nothing less.
This discussion has been closed.