Help folders/permissions

please, please, please, please, please, please, please. Can we get this?

I have copies of all our helps in a google drive right now, to make it easier to find/organise things I have folders to group things together, all the novice stuff is in a novices folder for example, all the stuff to do with managing the guild is in another one, another has instructions for how various duties are to be carried out (mulching/carving). This makes it soo easy for me to just go through and find things, sure I know most of the info across the scrolls and I remember, almost, all of their names so the index is more of a reminder for me.

Ultimately, if we could get the ability to sort our orghelps into at least a main directory and then into a set of folders directly under that it would be much nicer, especially for new people who may need to pick out the one file of thirty that might be relevant to them. Of course, we could just with the route of putting things into libraries but my impression is that when scrolls move there they kinda... disappear a bit. I think at one point people were frustrated because the hartstone didn't have an advancement system... it was in the library it was just too big for the ghelps.

Along with something like this, i'd love an ability to set permissions on the folders. So I could have a folder that only undersecretaries and higher could view. rather than buying a clan for every way I might want to restrict things.

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    This would be great, even without permissions. 
  • I suggested something similar way back on the old forums, so I'd be all for it! Would make it much easier to catalogue things; one folder for advancement, one for general info, one for official positions, etc.
  • Yes. Please.
  • Aetolia does this. Steal their code :p
  • As does MKO. Was tempted to also ask for an editable index but not too sure about that when combined with this, and I would rather this.
  • We've discussed it a few times and played with the idea over the past year, IIRC. I know we aren't against it, but it's a question of a coder wanting to spend the time to do it (because it's likely to be a near rewrite of our entire org help system), as opposed to some of our other projects on the table.
  • Can't we just cozy up to aetolia or midkemia and see if we can "borrow" their code? :(
  • IRE apparently has a policy of not sharing code between games.
  • Yeah... that makes my brain hurt :/
    Just cause like... there's libraries of code out there so that you don't need to recreate things over and over again.

• Saran said:

Yeah... that makes my brain hurt :/
    Just cause like... there's libraries of code out there so that you don't need to recreate things over and over again.

The games are pretty disparate, code-wise. It's the same engine, but things often don't link together the same, edited for each game's need, etc. It's often easier to just code it ourselves. Likewise, the only code we really share is general IRE code (some of the underlying library stuff, for example, credits, etc).

Besides, I'm sure we can do something better if we do it ourselves!
  • Eventru said:

Besides, I'm sure we can do something better if we do it ourselves!
    Please do it!