Salt, the Many-Faced Commodity

13»

Comments

• Spices are a 1% chance per harvest. If you hit the 1% chance, there is then a 25% chance you'll get 2-11 spices instead of just one.

Salt/Sulfur is a 5% chance per gemcut.
  • edited April 2019
    Orael said:
    Spices are a 1% chance per harvest. If you hit the 1% chance, there is then a 25% chance you'll get 2-11 spices instead of just one.

Salt/Sulfur is a 5% chance per gemcut.
    This seems like the chance of getting spices is far less than what some people here are making it out to be 
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • I guess there are many  more places to harvest than to get gems?
  • You can't walk two rooms ingame without bumping into a rockeater!
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Well runing that a bit of a rough thing.

1 room is a 55 harvests, roughly 1 second balance to harvest.

So I do 30 mins of harvesting. I'm going to get 20 ish spice procs. 5 of them spice procs will be 2-11 procs.

So I'm getting 25-75 spice every half an hour give or take.

• Okay, fair. But only you and other herbalists get them. Others have to buy them. With how the price of salt skyrocketed (we don't use salt that much for cooking, just that some of my recent designs use them), and how we use spices for pretty much any food... I'm scared of the aether traders using it all up and herbalists controlling the supply of spices like some sort of Spice Mafia (a bit exaggerated, I know, but you get the picture)
  • Coraline said:
    Okay, fair. But only you and other herbalists get them. Others have to buy them. With how the price of salt skyrocketed (we don't use salt that much for cooking, just that some of my recent designs use them), and how we use spices for pretty much any food... I'm scared of the aether traders using it all up and herbalists controlling the supply of spices like some sort of Spice Mafia (a bit exaggerated, I know, but you get the picture)
    I mean, this is how all fail comms work at the end of the day, the same is ultimately true of all herbs and herbs are far more necessary for a larger variety of skills than just cooking. 
  • Kistan said:
    I guess there are many  more places to harvest than to get gems?
    Exactly this, especially since the change to dormancy months. Try turning PLANTS ON and just walk all over places with natural terrain, see how much is out there.

I dabbled in herbs when I flexed in bard just to try it out, and to get myself more colewort. I think in about half an hour I had more than 100 spices harvested as well.

Herbs is also super boring and I think the general lack of interested herbalists means there's just a -lot- out there for anyone who wants to put in the time for it.

It also feels like the chance to proc salt is distinctly undertuned relative to other failure comms, and that might just be perception bias. But even before the introduction to aethertraders, there was scarcely any salt in the aetherplex (just lots of magical salt in kegs), so I think that is telling.

• Could just massively buff salts proc chance if you want it keep it as salt I guess/
  • I don't want to keep it as salt. The salt situation is pretty bad. I just don't trust that the spices solution will turn out well (although I will concede that it's better than salt)

No comm usage/ all failure comms/ easily procurable comms are the best idea imo
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    A long time back, herbalists needed to constantly replant in order to keep areas alive.  Envoy reports have reduced that considerably.  Replanting will maximize your herb accrual if you really need a ton, but if you are just trying to get a few hundred of each herb you will probably not have much of an issue.  Each room has 60 plants max (or 120 if blessed by the Nature domoth, which is why there is so much sparkleberry around).  Without gloves, harvesting balance is 2s.  Gloves halve that.  The chance of spices may be lower but you have so many more chances that you end up with a lot of the stuff.
    I really don't think spices will ever be in the salt-boat, which is why I would like to see them added as an option; it would be nice for them to have more use.  Preferably taking a smaller step to alleviate the issue without revamping it totally.  If I am wrong and spice prices soar enormously, then clearly it would be time to look into more drastic measures (such as the elimination of comm usage entirely).  At least, that is how I am looking at it.
  • edited April 2019
    But how many days will that take? I would be down with it just to see if spices price will skyrocket or not, if, if it did skyrocket, then immediately it will be changed to no comm usage. But realistically, it won't and it will take more days of discussion again.
  • I guess why this topic is my hill to die on is because I expressed the opinion that the new aether trading system has led to soaring of salt prices to the point where it's affecting cooks, and, of all the solutions proposed, the one the admin responded to is to just use another cooking comm in place of salt. Cooking isn't a profession that brings tons of profit like herbalism or alchemy does, I just took it because it's fun. But I fear that the thing I enjoy doing most ingame will just become impossible/difficult to do. It probably seems silly and inconsequential to everyone else, but that's just how I feel.
  • Atm spices are given away in their thousands for free. So their price is going to go up if they start being useful :D
  • Okay, if we HAVE to use spice instead, let non herbalists be able to pick spices from the location.
  • tbh, you don't even necessarily need to implement it >_>

Let's be honest, if Estarra just confirmed an intention to implement the change you'd immediately start seeing the impact it would have on the market because people would start repricing/reselling things and stockpiling in preparation. 
  • Jolanthe said:
    Dys said:
    15k gold per meteor. If only I could work out how to bottle blood so I don't have to draw zodiac circles in salt.
    Artifact fountains produce shark blood on occasion, apparently. This is the only way I've heard of.
    I tried shark blood and couldn't get it to work. It just said 'You do not have any containers with blood.'