Promotional Ideas

edited May 2019 in Ideas
I've deleted the thread on wonder crystal ideas because it got derailed and that was not my intention. I'd like to clarify here that I never said Lusternia would never participate in monthly promotions but apologize to anyone who misconstrued what I meant. I had said we wouldn't devote as much development time to promotions but would participate where we can.

That said, we still need to generate revenue to justify having paid staff, therefore I will be looking at future promotions. However much it would be nice that everything is free or that sales could be maintained without running promotions, the reality is that it's something we need to entertain in the future. Again, my focus will be on not taking away from development and hope you understand this and help come up with ideas. 

Please do not derail this thread. I'll just delete posts that aren't constructive. Thanks!

Comments

• edited May 2019
    Shaddus said:
    Things I'd pay credits or money for:

The ability/an item to generate chocolate or honeycomb comms, and use them in designs.

Good god this. I cannot believe in the year 2019 of our lord I can't design with chocolate because of some nebulous "it's not in the region" reasoning. Slap out a honeypot and I don't know, chocolate fondue fountain.

Also:

An artifact that lets me redescribe a mount without having to make it a full custom beast that loses its inherent.

New trades: perfume, makeup, flower arranging. If you don't add in a ton of bells and whistles this should be fairly easy to implement I would think?

A badge that removes stabling costs for a single beast. Allow the badge to be attached to each beast and price it on the lower spectrum and you'll see it bought.

Travel curio packs in the artifact shop

Let people buy the old Ascension/christmas items, the latter especially has a lot of lore that is locked away.

• Things I'd support if they were promotional that are non-combat:

Give us a mini-skill to connect with Jojobo commodities, make a cute promotional event about it.

New trades like @Hegemone: Perfumes, makeup, other neat trades. Been waiting for new trade releases for a while.

New race releases through artifacts, make them more accessible and not at 500cr a pop. Some could be rarer like sileni or the snake one (forgot the name) and have some kind of ranking for funds.

Cool org-tailored mini skills opened up by artifacts or building skills through promotional items left open all year long. Something that can only be org-related and contributes to the org's overall flavour.

Customised curio wig artifact. PLEASE.

That's all I have in my brain for now.
    The cool night-time breeze shivers in the arid caress of the streets of the capital city, brushing the earthen taste of dust across your lips.
    A blessed silence falls upon the city for the moment, most activity confined to the towers and the
    theatre due to the snowy weather.
    Pinprick points of light twinkle in the deep black overhead, their brightness full of a cold,
    hungering malice.
  • Promo ideas that should be relatively simple:

1) Purchase of wondercrystals (again)
    2) Purchase of presents (again)
    3) Purchase of fortune cookies
    4) Genie curio packs (though should just be released as is)
  • We've pretty much been doing those promos of things that exist since we went F2P. Was looking for new ideas!
  • While new ideas can be good, we have a track record of things that need to be fixed later on with more new releases or doesn't mean the same expectation you might of had for success. These being allowed to just outright buy these would keep funds coming. More than likely, you could make wondercrystals and presents a permanent item on the /credits page of the site and see success. Crystals are extremely hard to come by, considering the wondercornucopia is giving goop far far far more often than crystals.
  • edited May 2019
    I think you're wrong that crystals and presents will be a success (in fact I know you're wrong). Keep in mind we've done both before and they haven't been particularly successful, especially as there hasn't been new wonder items or new items for presents. Anyway, I get some people would rather not have anything new in promotions, that we need to "fix what we have" or whatever (even though Orael recently asked what artifacts need to be fixed). That's fine, but it's not my reality of how to move forward. So I'm looking for new ideas. If you'd rather not participate, I won't hold a gun to your head, but continually saying you want nothing new, we should only release what already exists is just not helpful, as far as I'm concerned. 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Bump up Wonderwings.  Have them reduce insanity in Pandaland and Orrery.  Give the ability to recharge power back into nodes (or to disable drawing power from the nodes while you're linking them).  Those two right there would make the wings more appealing!
    What about some kind of wonderpower that lets you hear people from too far away (regardless of their planar level)?  So it's not Omniscience because it's not bi-directional, but it would mean that if you are using it and a lowbie speaks you can hear them (and if you buy it you're more likely to know how to respond to them).  Admittedly if two different people had the power active it would be bidirectional for just those two, but it's at least not all on one person like Omni is.
    I just really want more people to be able to hear when someone's in trouble.  Like yesterday I logged on and got a tell from someone going "Help."  Apparently they had been stuck on the Night Bubble for a few hours because they accidentally messed up on the quest and broke the Shadow Mirror.  They didn't know about the alternate exit via the blood pool or that CGT bypassed it, they just saw me on CWHO and were able to ask for assistance.  I hate hearing about things like that, especially with such a small game, I want these people to have more options for support if they need it.  I get that things are supposed to feel "isolated" but there is such a thing as too isolated for some of this stuff. :(
  • Estarra said:
    That said, we still need to generate revenue to justify having paid staff, therefore I will be looking at future promotions.
    Maybe the time requiring that has passed.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Microtransactions are king. Whatever you come up with, give options for starting at $5 a pop and I guarantee I would be so keen to buy one...then ok just one more....ok a few more, ok last one....spread out over the month, but I will absolutely refuse to throw $20 onto an item first time round because what a waste of money.

• Makai said:
    Promo ideas that should be relatively simple:

Estarra said:
    I think you're wrong that crystals and presents will be a success (in fact I know you're wrong). Keep in mind we've done both before and they haven't been particularly successful, especially as there hasn't been new wonder items or new items for presents.
    Just a thought, but couldn't wondercrystals and things like that just be added to the arti shop year round, without having to run them as a promotion? I think it would be relatively simple, and would make them more accessible to people willing to pay for them. Maybe it wouldn't bring in as much money as promotions with shiny new things aimed at people willing to drop a paycheck or two in one spot, but it doesn't preclude them either.
  • Kali said:
    Makai said:
    Promo ideas that should be relatively simple:

Estarra said:
    I think you're wrong that crystals and presents will be a success (in fact I know you're wrong). Keep in mind we've done both before and they haven't been particularly successful, especially as there hasn't been new wonder items or new items for presents.
    Just a thought, but couldn't wondercrystals and things like that just be added to the arti shop year round, without having to run them as a promotion? I think it would be relatively simple, and would make them more accessible to people willing to pay for them. Maybe it wouldn't bring in as much money as promotions with shiny new things aimed at people willing to drop a paycheck or two in one spot, but it doesn't preclude them either.
    And having a way to generate wondercrystals in game would be nice too outside of some leveling.
    The cool night-time breeze shivers in the arid caress of the streets of the capital city, brushing the earthen taste of dust across your lips.
    A blessed silence falls upon the city for the moment, most activity confined to the towers and the
    theatre due to the snowy weather.
    Pinprick points of light twinkle in the deep black overhead, their brightness full of a cold,
    hungering malice.
  • Kali said:
    Makai said:
    While new ideas can be good, we have a track record of things that need to be fixed later on with more new releases or doesn't mean the same expectation you might of had for success. These being allowed to just outright buy these would keep funds coming. More than likely, you could make wondercrystals and presents a permanent item on the /credits page of the site and see success. Crystals are extremely hard to come by, considering the wondercornucopia is giving goop far far far more often than crystals.
    Either way works for me, they just need to be made available.
  • Makai said:
    Kali said:
    snip
    Makai said:
    snip
    Either way works for me, they just need to be made available.
    So sorry! I had sort of just skimmed the thread, and didn't notice you had suggested the same thing. :( 
  • edited May 2019
    @Estarra What's the difference between Old Promos and New Promos? More widely, I'm completely confused about what is meant by Lusty having gone 'free'? Not trying to derail here, I'm literally trying to understand how to answer the OP because as it is I frankly don't understand the question.
    Old promos: Had to follow IRE's schedule.  All the games did similar promotions each month.  This meant a good bit of coding resources invested in building these up every month.
    New promos: Can just recycle things and build up easy stuff that requires less coding input, letting the coding-people stick on their projects.
    The main thing about the "free" thing really boils down to being able to earn 20 credits in-game every day, so over time you can buy whatever you're looking for.  I know someone who just sent off a request for a brand new custom pet, the big package, primarily built on the daily credit income.  It is a huge change for people to be able to earn their things over time (and not in the "bash up tons of gold and try to buy a couple of credits a day as prices soar" way).
  • I have an issue with the F2P daily credits in that I was informed you are punished as a Demigod by needing work twice as hard to get the same amount.

If this is true I have to ask why? No game ever punishes you for reaching endgame content.
  • The reason why some things are scaled depending on level isn't to punish demigods, but to enable newbies and those of lower levels.

The goal is that everyone can get 20 credits in 2 hours. We've purposefully scaled some things up to encourage newbies to do them rather than demigods and we've added some modifiers (for hunting and influencing for instance) so that newbies can effectively get the same rate as demigods. The idea being that demigods are hunting/influencing harder things worth more points while newbies are hunting/influencing things worth less points.

We used the great hunt tiers as our determining factors for the scaling, so it's not perfect and people right before demigod may be more effective than people at demigod, but we had the draw the line somewhere.
  • Pysynne said:
    I have an issue with the F2P daily credits in that I was informed you are punished as a Demigod by needing work twice as hard to get the same amount.

If this is true I have to ask why? No game ever punishes you for reaching endgame content.
    I do have to echo this, as it is a true statement. The only 'quick' method for Demigods is doing honours quests worth a large sum. It might even be better to put that threshold at like 80 or something and just leave the 2x multiplier that level was already getting, simply because the people who are bashing to Demi already have their max efficiency usually at that point. But right now, the 'benefits' of Demigod don't outweigh the benefits of being 61-Titan.
  • Makai said:
    But right now, the 'benefits' of Demigod don't outweigh the benefits of being 61-Titan.
    While I'm inclined to agree with this, explaining the situation to people hasn't deterred them at all. People seem just as much in a rush to hit demi as ever.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I, for one, am happy that for once, there are benefits that us non-demis can finally enjoy.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • @Estarra

How did the gnewpie promo go? Is it worth bringing back?
    Did anyone except Ragniliff like gnewpies?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Something that I think might sell would be the old-style curios, like the copper igasho, or the mirror, or the crystal tree, or the sock monkey
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Heh, I forgot about gnewpie dolls. They weren't that popular and I don't think I want to bring them back because they generate comms. I'll have to look at some of those other oldies.
  • I don't know how well they do for you or if they are really what you are looking for, but Artifact Carts seem to be popular from my perception of people talking.
  • Can we reintroduce the limited time curios? I want a puppet curio and some other misc ones.