Promotional Ideas

2»

Comments

• Devora said:
    If you haven't already, trawling the Simple ideas and Simple questions thread might be very useful.

@Lavinya is on point with micro transactions. Small convenience items, added up, could end up selling more than one groundbreaking but pricey idea. I would add that micros are a brilliant way to get newbies invested early on in the game. 

Some ideas based on / plagiarized from the above threads:
    1. Beast saddles. Put them on a beast, they add an extra section to the description, just like hair curios do for players (@Portius)
    2. An artifact to spy on one's own org's nexii (@Steingrim)
    3. A way for designers to share possible designs with clients (so they don't have to use letters or Pastebin) (@Aeldra)
    4. A "gallery artifact" that allows manse rooms to show a lot more than just 1 painting at a time (@Aeldra)
    5. A portable psychodrama stage, so you can psychodrama anywhere instead of just at a stage (@Xenthos)
    6. A way to sense the path to your city's nexus from inside a manse if it's connected or just the Aetherplex if not (@Neela)
    7. A way to see how you appear in a room, incl. stole/brooch/costumes etc (@Lavinya); maybe a mirror (@Sylphas)
    8. A way for zimoru doses from syringes to carry over when unused that month and/or a way to apply zimoru in batches (@Aeldra)
    9. Ability to reskin hunting companions or have them give out ambiences (@Allixea)
    10. A way to check if your org is at max Daughters of Night/ladies/etc without having to wander around and count (@Tylwyth)
    Not all conveniences should be behind a paywall, but I respect that coding takes resources. You could have an "early bird" model where you could sell a micro arti for $5 for one month only, watch it get snapped up, and then release it as a free feature for everybody a year or two later. Especially if you're transparent that that's what you're going to do, I really don't see people getting upset about this as long as the price point remains fairly low.

Also, I'd pay for an item that increases the number of aliases I can use. But that may not be possible to code.
    I feel like 3, 6, 7, 9, and 10 shouldn't be a promo thing

3 should just be a thing you can do or a bookbinder thing that shows the designs of the person it's crafted for.
    6 seems like it should just be the way pathing works.
    7 with stoles and all that I feel like they should just show up like poses on stat. (especially because a lot of the time you've already paid for those)
    9 as described seems like it should be within the customisation system, I figure a promo would be more like... packaged customisations?
    10 feels like it should just be greet the relevant avatar and they'd have lines indicating you're at max for their type or not.

Also, I feel like if you're going to do a beasts promo, you probably should incorporate the idea of being able to have multiple beasts out at once but only one active (i.e the others are just there and their beastmastery stuff is unavailable, maybe they gain a small amount of xp gained by the active/alpha).
    Being able to walk around with Malach, Ymailei, and Tuhir all together is a nice concept, it would have opened up considerations about expanding the number of beasts I have, leading to more incentive to buy collars, even trying to get sentience on more beasts.

Also, with buy now, everyone gets it free later FFXIV does the opposite. We just had "Hatching-tide" (easter), that released some cosmetics, last years stuff was added to the cash shop when that event was launched, and next year when the event happens again this years stuff will be added. (The added stuff is a copy with the word authentic prepended identifying they didn't actually participate in the event)
    In theory, the reason for doing it that way is because you're encouraging people to log in to participate right now and rewarding them for that, while also letting them buy stuff they missed out on.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Saran said:

Also, I feel like if you're going to do a beasts promo, you probably should incorporate the idea of being able to have multiple beasts out at once but only one active (i.e the others are just there and their beastmastery stuff is unavailable, maybe they gain a small amount of xp gained by the active/alpha).
    If this gets implemented I'd request a short limit on out-of-stable beasts. Goodness knows we had enough spam with the poteen pets in the past.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ilistala and her pack of 9 worg friends.
  • Rancoura said:
    Saran said:

If this gets implemented I'd request a short limit on out-of-stable beasts. Goodness knows we had enough spam with the poteen pets in the past.
    I imagine you’d be paying for slots in your “pack” or “menagerie” as one limiter. 
    Could do something like... buy a bauble of the pack for for x credits, break it to unlock the system with like... 2-3 slots. Then you can buy something to upgrade those slots.

Movement spam could be dealt with making it one line for the whole pack. Could append to existing movement lines (i.e "Rancoura and her menagerie/pack") but could be weird with the custom entrance demipower.

Like... "A pack enters from the east following Saran." Could even add something if you wanted to specify the leader.

Could even make a cheap version of the beastmasters collar (packmate collar) which makes it so the beast can only be summoned into a pack and not actually be made active.

Also opens up packages like...

<beast> packmate - x credits (save y credits on the normal price)
    * <Beast> egg
    * Collar of the packmate
    * 1 additional pack slot
  • I don't like the idea of multiple beasts out at once. The idea of saddles adding to the description is intriguing but I'm not sure how that would work. Would it be an appendage (don't be dirty) or something that you can emote with? Examples?
  • To be clear it wouldn't be multiple active beasts, it'd be more similar to summoning a dweller version of stabled beasts.

Only the "active" beasts powers would actually be available, no stacking powers across multiple beasts, no having access to all of beastmastery by training up every possible power across the pack, wouldn't even let people mount a "packmate".

At the end of the day, it's a small thing but, for example, I have two collared beasts and Malach (pet).

Implementing this would mean I would have been inclined to pay to be able to have them all out together.
    This would, in turn, have encouraged me to try to get sentience for the collared beasts.
    I'd probably also be more interested in increasing the collection of beasts, leading to likely more purchases of collars and sentience after I've gotten attached to the new beasts.

You could also make a cheaper version of the collar that literally just converts the beast into a dweller.
  • If there was more micro transactions I would spend so much money, just saying.
  • Estarra said:
    Would it be an appendage (don't be dirty) or something that you can emote with? Examples?
    If @Portius still checks the forums, I'm sure they could clarify. Not sure what an "appendage" is, but I would imagine the saddles having a few emotes, like the hair curious.

Emote ideas:
    • SADDLEKICK
    • Leaning forward in a fiery saddle dripping red-gold embers, Xenthos urges his mount forwards with a light kick.
    • SADDLERELAX
    • Xenthos relaxes in a fiery saddle dripping red-gold embers, letting his mount guide him.
    • SADDLESCORN
    • From his perch on a fiery saddle dripping red-gold embers, Xenthos frostily looks down at all those beneath him.
    • SADDLESQUEEZE
    • Xenthos gently squeezes the sides of a fiery saddle dripping red-gold embers, guiding his mount in the right direction.
    • SADDLEREAR
    • As his mount rears wildly, Xenthos grips the lip of a fiery saddle dripping red-gold embers.
    • SADDLEWAR
    • Xenthos lets loose a ferocious warcry, spurring his mount into combat astride a fiery saddle dripping red-gold embers.
    • SADDLERHYTHM
    • Expertly moving his hips in rhythm with his mount, Xenthos and a fiery saddle dripping red-gold embers become one with the beast. 
    • SADDLEBUCK
    • Flung suddenly to one side, Xenthos struggles to regain balance on a fiery saddle dripping red-gold embers as his mount bucks under him.
      • SADDLESPIKE
      • Xenthos drives his mount onwards with a sharp jab from the spiked stirrups of a fiery saddle dripping red-gold embers.
      • (This one makes me sad, but this could be a thing for people with undead mounts or cruel rp.)

Mounting a beast and dismounting could also perhaps automatically come with an added line that mentions the saddle. (Or have special mounting/dismounting emotes.)

Saddle designs could be inspired by hair curios but be designed to work with multiple hairstyles at a time, which could help people make outfits and increase purchases of both.

Simply replacing hair with "saddle" in the short descs gives some idea of what the aesthetic could be, though obviously the saddle designs would have to be unique:
      • fiery saddle dripping red-gold embers
      • pearl-studded saddle swagged with gold chains
      • slender azure saddle decorated with shells
      • twisted iron saddle strung with cracked bells
      I imagine bridles could also be popular.
      Arix said:
      Tzaraziko died for your spins
    • Saran said:
      To be clear it wouldn't be multiple active beasts, it'd be more similar to summoning a dweller version of stabled beasts.
      I really love the idea of having multiple beasts out in a non op way - I'd def pay for it for the rp opportunities. I'm trying to figure out how it could work without making room for denizen/player combat abuse. Even if there's a dweller version of the beast, say A's beast attacks B and A has 5 beasts in the room. B won't necessarily know which of the 5 beasts is the "active" one, and what if A switches the "active" beast around during combat? Not to mention Bodyguard (if B has a beast too).
      Arix said:
    • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
      That is a blast from the past. I think all I wanted was a set of items that add a line to the bottom of the beast's probe description, just like the hair curios do for a player's examine. I'm guessing that is an appendage. Emotes are cool too, but I wouldn't consider them a necessity for it.

But I'm only here because people paged me, so I wouldn't put much value on my own preferences.
      Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    • How about some 'prestige' races which are just skins and convey no [new?] mechanical advantage?
    • More ideas from / based on Simple Ideas.
      1. An item that extends amnesty (could be one-use or limited use) (@Mrak)
      2. A way to disable your shrouding / stole / hiding for newbies / selected people (@Moi, @Aeldra)
      3. An item that lets you control clothing layering (multiple people)
      4. Tranquility Resonator. Place this contraption in a manse room and no SHOUTS will disturb the tranquility. (@Versalean) Lets you set shout perms like your manse but you know, shouts (@Ess)
      5. An item that tells you which % of an area you have explored (@Orventa, @Ejderha)
      6. A larger beast feedbag (eg 12 instead of 4) (@Anita)
      7. An item that lets you pay all of your stable fees for x months in one command (@Aeldra, @Allixea)
      8. An item that lets you see when people look at you (loosely inspired by @Daraius's awesome deeplook idea)
      9. A way to take -everything- out of a container (like GET ALL FROM CHEST) and move containers without taking contents out first (@Aeldra)
      10. An item that lets you directly craft from your rift (@Orventa)
      Arix said:
    • Devora said:
      More ideas from / based on Simple Ideas.
      5. An item that tells you which % of an area you have explored
      10. An item that lets you directly craft from your rift

Five already exists in a way. The Wonderboots will show you a random room that you haven't explored yet. 10 also exists now CONFIG RIFTCRAFT ON

• Devora said:
      Saran said:
      To be clear it wouldn't be multiple active beasts, it'd be more similar to summoning a dweller version of stabled beasts.
      I really love the idea of having multiple beasts out in a non op way - I'd def pay for it for the rp opportunities. I'm trying to figure out how it could work without making room for denizen/player combat abuse. Even if there's a dweller version of the beast, say A's beast attacks B and A has 5 beasts in the room. B won't necessarily know which of the 5 beasts is the "active" one, and what if A switches the "active" beast around during combat? Not to mention Bodyguard (if B has a beast too).
      For that, I’d want the active beast to get an alias like “Saran-beast” or make it a function of packs that the lead just leaps in the way to protect the rest of the pack.

Switching during combat regarding targeting should be covered by that, also would make it equivalent to dismissing and summoning a new beast in terms of time
    • It actually would be incredibly difficult to convert a beast into a dweller.
    • Again examples, pretty clearly so.

It really comes down the fact that there’s already a decent collection of beasts available, being able to pull them out in an “rp-only mode” is something people may pay for and it’s a thing that seems pretty likely to then increase interest in beasts and spending credits on them.
    • From Simple ideas. Item that gives your stable custom ambiences slash pre-set creature interactions
      Maestra said:
      Stable Upgrade

Would it be an absolute PITA to sell a stable upgrade that put out room emotes that were specifically linked to the creatures you have in the stable?

"A [fluffy manticore] butts against the stable gate twice before retreating back to its territory in the stable."
      "A [roan horse] neighs happily sensing your entrance."
      "A [dream phoenix] sniffs haughtily at a [garosaur], then snorts in distaste."

Stable Rankings

How about giving people an RP opportunity to stroke the epeen by allowing stable owners to submit their stable to a world ranking? Maybe by the number/variety/rarity of mounts or something else suitably esoteric.

Arix said:
    • Estarra said:
      It actually would be incredibly difficult to convert a beast into a dweller.
      Thanks for letting us know! 

Would it be unfeasible to come out with another form of custom beast that has no combat usefulness? Ie cannot be trained for attacking, defending, or mounting. But it still does all the other fun things that beasts do, eg delivery pet. Then could people have out multiple versions of this type of custom beast at once? I would seriously pay for that.
      Arix said:
    • Devora said:
      Estarra said:
      It actually would be incredibly difficult to convert a beast into a dweller.
      Thanks for letting us know! 

Would it be unfeasible to come out with another form of custom beast that has no combat usefulness? Ie cannot be trained for attacking, defending, or mounting. But it still does all the other fun things that beasts do, eg delivery pet. Then could people have out multiple versions of this type of custom beast at once? I would seriously pay for that.
      That’s what dwellers are, they can just reset to your inventory so the manse part of their name isn’t really accurate.
    • Ohhh, thanks for the explanation. I didn't know dwellers could hang out outside your manse/inventory. I'll make a suggestion to put that in the help file.
      Arix said:
    • Devora said:
      Ohhh, thanks for the explanation. I didn't know dwellers could hang out outside your manse/inventory. I'll make a suggestion to put that in the help file.
      It's referred to a couple of times throughout the file, you can also purchase an upgrade to leave them somewhere in the basin with a link back to your manse shop.

I think we got them after beasts came out to replace the niche of a
      pet you have with you.

The main reason I actually got one was because having some of the abilities on a beast is kinda annoying given you need to summon them.

But yeah, it's not really the same as getting and raising a beast and then keeping that.
      I could, probably, make a dweller that's a duplicate of my strix (Tuhir) but I'm already at the same cost as a collar before I start adding his base reactions which I might not have all of (plus with an order pet there may or may not be special code that would be lost). And then there's the consideration of the upgraded package and so on.
    • When was the last time wakabidrome tickets or genies were a promo?

I personally think both should come back!
    • Solstice stocking packages were the last genies and tickets essentially. So been a good quarter year.
    • Allixea said:
      When was the last time wakabidrome tickets or genies were a promo?

I personally think both should come back!
      I'd be up for this or lessons for July.