Storytelling: Trial Run

edited May 2019 in Event Scrolls

<At a backstage recording test>

Smiling at Kethaera, Master Choros Vicus says, "How are you doing?"

Nodding to Choros, Marquessa Kethaera says, "I am well, Master Choros."

Coughing politely, Master Choros Vicus says, "Please, Choros is fine. I wonder if you might indulge 
me and have tea with me at some point."

Gesturing to the arranged chairs, Marquessa Kethaera says, "But of course. If you will, in return, 
indulge me in a game."

Master Choros Vicus smiles and says, "Of course. What sort of game would you enjoy?"

Suddenly emerging as if summoned, Aramel Shevat says brightly, "So decorous. This is a most 
auspicious scene."

Master Choros Vicus peers at Aramel suspiciously.

Greeting Aramel with a smile, Marquessa Kethaera says, "A storytelling game. And it seems we have 
someone to witness it."

Master Choros Vicus smiles and says, "That sounds pleasing. What are the rules?"

Marquessa Kethaera pats the bag on the glass table, flipping through a few of the cards.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "I will draw three cards for you, and you will have 10 minutes to make up a 
story using those words."

Master Choros Vicus says, "I accept your challenge. What is to be the length of the story?"

With a grin, Marquessa Kethaera says, "Any length you can manage in 10 minutes, but you don't have 
to tell it all at once. One piece at a time is better."

Marquessa Kethaera takes a seat at one of the chairs, and pulls the bag of cards closer to her side 
of the table.

Master Choros Vicus takes a seat across from Kethaera, looking on in interest. "I think I can manage 
that." he murmurs, steepling his hands in front of his face.

Marquessa Kethaera waves her hand dramatically as she reaches into the bag, and removes three of the 
scraps. She unfolds them, her eyes scanning each one before placing it back in the bag.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Your words are Cririk Adom, Clarramore, angel."

Smiling, Marquessa Kethaera says, "Do you wish to replace one of those words?"

Master Choros Vicus raises an eyebrow, thinking for a moment before speaking. "Yes, Replace 'angel' 
with something more fitting, please."

Marquessa Kethaera draws another scrap of paper from the small bag and reads it aloud before 
returning it.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Your new word is soft red velvet hat."

Aramel Shevat tries, and fails, to hide a grin.

Aramel Shevat laughingly says, "Perhaps it might have been wiser to keep the first."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Ten minutes to tell the story."

Master Choros Vicus gives a curt nod, though his brow furrows in thought. "It was a soft, cool night 
atop Mount Clarramore. Only one person was present to see the moon in all Her glory; Chairman Cririk 
Adom, who was moonbathing in little but a soft red velvet hat. The smell of white lemons filled the 
air, and he gave a sigh at the pleasing scent."

Aramel Shevat stares implacably around herself at the mention of Chairman Cririk Adom's wardrobe 
choices.

Marquessa Kethaera claps a hand over her mouth, concealing a soft snicker.

A soft bell chimes six times, warning how many minutes are left.

Master Choros Vicus glances askance but continues. "While the Chairman was normally a logical, cold 
sort of person, something about moonbathing softened his normally rigid facets. 'I can't keep hiding 
my true, inner self from the Board.' he murmured to himself, turning over to bathe his backside in 
the silver beams. 'But how? How can I tell them of my inner desires, my need for relaxation and 
contemplation?'"

Aramel Shevat begins furiously scribbling upon a clipboard, though it is not certain if she is 
writing down a citation for breach of decorum, or notes for a novel.

A soft bell chimes four times, warning how many minutes are left.

Marquessa Kethaera gives only a slight cough, struggling to keep her expression neutral.

A soft bell chimes twice, warning how many minutes are left.

Master Choros Vicus goes on, emboldened by his own words. "Finally, he turns back over and sits up. 
'No, I must tell them. There can be no lies in the Beacon of Harmony, even if it lessens their faith 
in my leadership. Hallifax must focus more on Harmony than Logic from this point forward.' he 
murmurs, finally standing up and giving a stretch. Shrugging into his robes of office, he turns his 
gaze south towards the city in question. 'So be it.' he says in a final whisper before walking down 
the slope."

Master Choros Vicus gives a nod to Kethaera, and a sly grin. "Not what was expected, I suppose, but 
I have fulfilled your requirements."

A soft bell chimes once, urgently, warning of one minute left.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Ah! But how does it end?"

A high-toned bell chimes a warning of 30 seconds remaining.

Master Choros Vicus says, "Who can say?"

One final, drawn-out bell chime warns of 10 seconds to finish.

The bell chime ends, indicating time is up.

Master Choros Vicus crosses his arms over his chest expectantly. "Your turn, I think?"

Aramel Shevat says, "Well, if it is her turn, then it is only right for you to give the words."

Master Choros Vicus reaches across the table, tugging at the bag and shuffling the contents. Pulling 
out three cards, he places them face down in front of him.

Master Choros Vicus says, "Your words are... 'Instrument',."

Master Choros Vicus says, "Your words are... 'Instrument', 'Snow', and 'Dress'"

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Very well, I will start the timer again."

A small bell timer hums, and a faint ticking sound is heard in the background.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Ten minutes to tell the story."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Far to north, near the village of Rikenfriez, there lived a strange 
creature: A snow maiden. Not human, and barely a mortal creature, she was formed from the frozen 
terrain, a living being of frost."

Master Choros Vicus leans back and listens with interest.

Continuing, Marquessa Kethaera says, "Even her dress was woven from fine fibers of ice, crafted by 
unknown magic and as cold and delicate to the touch as a bank of freshly-fallen snow. It was pale 
blue in color, and held an ethereal beauty."

A soft bell chimes six times, warning how many minutes are left.

In a whisper, Marquessa Kethaera says, "Those who came upon the snow-maiden would often be struck 
blind by her beauty, or else freeze to death at the touch of her frozen garment."

A soft bell chimes four times, warning how many minutes are left.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "But alas... This made the maiden very lonely, for none could bear her 
presence for long. She tried to craft friends from the snow and ice of her home, but these could not 
speak, nor answer when she told them tales. She wanted to share something of her stories, her voice, 
with other people."

A soft bell chimes twice, warning how many minutes are left.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "One day, as the snow maiden went walking the mountains, she chanced upon a 
strange instrument, lying abandoned: A simple lyre, carved of pine and strung with taut silver 
threads."

A soft bell chimes once, urgently, warning of one minute left.

A high-toned bell chimes a warning of 30 seconds remaining.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "Delighted, she retrieved the instrument. At first, of course, she did not 
know how to play it. But as she had little else to occupy her time, she practiced, and eventually 
became quite skilled, the notes echoing around her home."

One final, drawn-out bell chime warns of 10 seconds to finish.

The bell chime ends, indicating time is up.

Marquessa Kethaera says, "And the sound of the lyre would echo across the mountain, entertaining the 
people of Rikenfriez with her lovely melodies."

Marquessa Kethaera says, "It is a difficult game at times..."

Aramel Shevat laughingly says, "Probably unsuited to slow-moving people."

Master Choros Vicus smiles and says, "I bow to a skill far greater than my own. Perhaps I need more 
practice at this game."
"Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."

Comments

• Congratulations, you just summoned the Hand of Doom.

Poke the Hand of Doom for commissions.
  • Is that the hat in the lower right corner?  :o 
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • Ye.
    Poke the Hand of Doom for commissions.
  • Well now. That is a nice drawing.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."