Melder Revamp

13»

Comments

• Other classes can use chills/frozen but none of the other classes, outside of Aquamancy (not chemantics), that require chills and frozen. So if Celest is chills/frozen, Gaudi is burns and tempinsanity, Hallifax is timewarp, Magnagora is deathmarks, what is Seren and Glom going to be?
  • Necromancy gets a bunch of distance from chills between touch and coldaura. It used to be more important with balance knocks for cruxing, but that's pretty much dead these days so it's just the benefits freezing gives directly plus dust stacking if you can push past slush balance. It should be straightforward enough to convert both of those to something else.
  • Yeah, Chills from Necromancy (and regular lichdom) help build up deathmarks for crux, but the affliction of chilling itself isn't the reason why it's being used, just the good amount of marks it wracks up.
  • Orael said:
    Here's an update

The base code is pretty much in. I've been working on skillset designs. I'm hoping to have them up by the end of the week at the latest. 

The basic design I'm going for with each skillset is taking into consideration two major ideas. 1) Synergy with other classes within the org and 2) The mirror class concept or same mechanics, different flavor. 

They won't be exactly the same, but they'll be close.

With that in mind - one of the ideas that originated with Ianir was converting chills/frozen to be more like burns (the plan is to give every class a leveled aff like burns). Are there classes outside Aquamancers that rely on the chills/frozen affs to be successful? SS comes to mind but I'm not sure how relevant that is.

I like every part of this. The closer the mirrors of the classes/design, the better. Excited for the end of the week.
  • @Orael

You could turn allergies into a real mechanic (no ideas off top of head) for Serenwilde. It's their only real stacking affliction, but it could be expanded on with the right ideas and provide synergy to the rest of Serenwilde. As for what Serenwilde does, it is mostly mental or ice affs. Mental for succumb, but I dislike the succumb mechanic as it is (which is why I sent you the SR to look over for it) and then ice from shofangi/warrior/wildewood. SS are kind of in their own space, but could certainly be tuned towards whatever mechanic Serenwilde runs with as their synergy.
  • edited June 2019
    Pysynne said:
    @Orael

You could turn allergies into a real mechanic (no ideas off top of head) for Serenwilde. It's their only real stacking affliction, but it could be expanded on with the right ideas and provide synergy to the rest of Serenwilde. As for what Serenwilde does, it is mostly mental or ice affs. Mental for succumb, but I dislike the succumb mechanic as it is (which is why I sent you the SR to look over for it) and then ice from shofangi/warrior/wildewood. SS are kind of in their own space, but could certainly be tuned towards whatever mechanic Serenwilde runs with as their synergy.
    Maybe if allergies built and cured by ice  (Wildwood synergy as well as warrior and monk) then change sap to instant kill based on allergies (like timequake)? (Just an idea could be a really bad one.). 

Since ice has a longer balance time, applying ice to an unafflicted body part could cure the same amount as a focused timewarp cure.  

Edit: Clarification, ice wouldn't build allergies other skills would need to, but ice would be the passive and active cure. 

Also, Nekotai having damagedlimbs on base would make it viable for Glomdoring.

Could also update some skills in ecology and crow/stag to help with building allergies. 
  • edited June 2019
    Shamans pre-overhaul had a kind of freeze based strategy meant to create windows of long off-eq to solidify sap locks, but it wasn't ever super good due to poor ability to actually stick frozen long enough (even in sap) and the overhaul removing vapors from bloom.

Changing freeze to stack to more levels and/or just giving it "overflow" levels to make it easier to get the actual effects before curing would actually help making this a reality again in the future, so that's good in my book. 
  • Drastrath said:
    Pysynne said:
    @Orael

Maybe if allergies built and cured by ice  (Wildwood synergy as well as warrior and monk) then change sap to instant kill based on allergies (like timequake)? (Just an idea could be a really bad one.). 

Since ice has a longer balance time, applying ice to an unafflicted body part could cure the same amount as a focused timewarp cure.  

Edit: Clarification, ice wouldn't build allergies other skills would need to, but ice would be the passive and active cure. 

Also, Nekotai having damagedlimbs on base would make it viable for Glomdoring.

Could also update some skills in ecology and crow/stag to help with building allergies. 
    Just for the bolded.
    AFAFIK the overhaul is still meant to split Druidry so that HS and BT have their own unique specs rather than sharing. Which, ideally, also means stuff like this also wouldn't really be shared.

So at a basic level, it doesn't really matter if allergies for nu-HS is viable for Glomdoring cause BT can just have their own mechanics that are only really designed to work for Glom.

Similarly, if allergies (or whatever they become) aren't really relevant to BT then after the revamp Seren could start integrating "allergies" into other classes. 

Also, for Seren at least, ideas kinda varied when it was originally discussed (like over a year ago?). Cause you could rework with the concept of allergies or you could reskin them to something different that's more directly Seren. Which, with the latter, then opens up the possibility that maybe it becomes a def rather than an aff.

Hopefully, darkseed is kept, it's been tied directly into lore for a little while now.
  • With giving each spec their own aff to build, does this mean that chills will become ineffective for other classes and orgs to build off of or at least advance to higher levels?
  • Did I miss an explanation as to why melds will be inheritable or even why such would be a good idea?
  • Orael said:
    Other melders
        - Other melders of the same spec can bond with a node
            - Increases Node strength by 10% per melder bonded.
        - Gain access to meld commands (ie demesnewatch, teleport and any other demesne abilities)
        - If primary melder dies, secondary melder becomes the holder (in order of bonding).
            - If no seconday melder, all nodes break.
    @Steingrim it's in the original post.
  • Steingrim said:
    Did I miss an explanation as to why melds will be inheritable or even why such would be a good idea?
    One of the major issues with melders is any secondary melders are generally considered useless. By allowing bonding and making melds inheritable, we're reducing that issue and creating a situation that relies less on one good melder but rather a team of them. It also reduces the pressure on those melders, allowing them to participate in more strategies that may put them in harms way rather than encouraging them to play from a distance and never engage.
  • Orael said:
    Steingrim said:
    Did I miss an explanation as to why melds will be inheritable or even why such would be a good idea?
    One of the major issues with melders is any secondary melders are generally considered useless. By allowing bonding and making melds inheritable, we're reducing that issue and creating a situation that relies less on one good melder but rather a team of them. It also reduces the pressure on those melders, allowing them to participate in more strategies that may put them in harms way rather than encouraging them to play from a distance and never engage.
    @Makai it was this sort of explanation that I wanted to see.

@Orael thank you. How is the design going to avoid entrenchment?
  • Can we please avoid taking away what insta kills our mages currently have? Sometimes that really is the only recourse for a mage to pull off and given it's a channeled action, they pull it off then they earned it (or had a lot of help to secure a kill that team would not have otherwise managed, and staring at each other over a disabled person till they slip in enough cures to get up because you have no kill method sucks for everyone involved)
  • All mages are getting two kill methods now, one based on their builder aff and unleash. Not to mention tertiaries being available.
  • Can someone explain what "node strength" means? Stronger avatars/elementals?
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • Yes, typically stronger avatars and longer channel to break the room.
  • Can we get some numbers on these skills?

Building affs
    -----------
    -How many levels of each building aff are there?
    -How many levels of each aff are required for each threshold (minor, moderate, etc.)?
    -How many levels are cured of each aff per cure?
    -How many levels do each of the active/passive skills give?
    -How do the unleash skills scale to aff levels?
    -Do the kills scale below the level of the kill (more damage at moderate than minor etc.)?
    -What's the maximum effect of the stacking effects of the afflictions themselves?

Buffs/Maluses
    ----
    -For all of the heal buffs/maluses how long do they last?
    Aeromancy Westwind "heal allies"
    Aquamancy Healspring "heal allies"
    Aquamancy Dilute how much sip bonus/malus
    Geomancy Lodestone how much slower is particulate curing, what does it do to allies at all?
    Pyromancy Mirage Ice bonus/malus
    Druidry Storm what does "refresh" mean, is this a health heal and for how much?
    Druidry Spiders resist malus/bonus. Does this stack with Eco Snakebane, with Shadowbeat?
    Druidry WildePalate sparkleberry how much?

Misc
    ----
    How much stronger does each bonded user add to node elementals, and how much longer is the channel?

• Enya said:
    Can we get some numbers on these skills?

Building affs
    -----------
    -How many levels of each building aff are there? 150
    -How many levels of each aff are required for each threshold (minor, moderate, etc.)? 1, 25, 50, 100
    -How many levels are cured of each aff per cure? Allergies - 4, Burns - 8, Rest - 6
    -How many levels do each of the active/passive skills give? Various, using a constant + random build.
    -How do the unleash skills scale to aff levels? x aff level (1-4)
    -Do the kills scale below the level of the kill (more damage at moderate than minor etc.)? No
    -What's the maximum effect of the stacking effects of the afflictions themselves? -3/-8 speed, -level(1-4)/-6 resist

Buffs/Maluses
    ----
    -For all of the heal buffs/maluses how long do they last? 10s but they are all one shot, so the next action strips it.
    Aeromancy Westwind "heal allies" - 10% health (all these effects do it)
    Aquamancy Healspring "heal allies"- 10% health (all these effects do it)
    Aquamancy Dilute how much sip bonus/malus - 10% increase/decrease
    Geomancy Lodestone how much slower is particulate curing, what does it do to allies at all? Increases/Decreases particulate curing by 2
    Pyromancy Mirage Ice bonus/malus - Increases/decreases delay by 0.5s
    Druidry Storm what does "refresh" mean, is this a health heal and for how much? - Heal effect, like Westwind/Healspring
    Druidry Spiders resist malus/bonus. Does this stack with Eco Snakebane, with Shadowbeat? 10%, yes it stacks.
    Druidry WildePalate sparkleberry how much? Equivalent to trans herb effect - stacks with it

Misc
    ----
    How much stronger does each bonded user add to node elementals, and how much longer is the channel? - 5000 health to elemental and adds 0.1s to channel time for breaking.

• 0.1 second? Is that really worth it?
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • edited September 2019
    There's not a downside, and any lengthening of a true, interruptible channel is pretty good. It also powers up the primary user in other ways, on top of allowing demesne devolution to you if they die.

On that note, do woodchem bonds do anything for melds?

Thanks for the data, it'll help in future I expect. It would be good to have more concrete numbers on each of the passives at some point, if you get the chance.

Question that someone brought up previously, what is the point of Lodestone speeding particulate curing on allies, who don't need to contend with particulate at all?